Brenda, the pit bull/boxer mix, is a ...

Brenda, the pit bull/boxer mix, is a bundle of love

There are 68 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Jul 20, 2008, titled Brenda, the pit bull/boxer mix, is a bundle of love. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Brenda is a young spayed female pit bull/boxer mix whose favorite trick is trying to maneuver her 70-pound body onto your lap, according to the Tricia Geisreiter of Santa Cruz County Animal Services.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
rita

United States

#1 Jul 20, 2008
why are shelters adopting out pit bulls, mixed or not? they need to be euthanized. The breed has been ruined by bad breeding. Maybe it can be daved, but it would take a long time, with conscionable breeders. Look at the Scottd Valley shelter, most of dogs up for adoption are pits. At the very least, they should have to be kept, away from children, in secure fencing.
Bundle O Love

Ukiah, CA

#2 Jul 20, 2008
Bundle of love or bundle of kill your neighbor's cats and bite your little niece's face off? The writer of this article should be held liable when this halfbreed pitbull inevitably snaps and "unexpectedly" mains or kills someone.
YeaBringAPitHome

United States

#3 Jul 20, 2008
HA HA HA...not a mean bone in her body...well she is a PITBULL MIX..that says it all. Sadly because of the overbreeding, lack of education, and need for machismo MOST pits in this area are MEAN, killing animals. Look at the local mid county area where two pits got out AGAIN and mauled a little dog...the pits are at home, the little dog on his way to heaven!
The recent attack in Watsonville 3-5 cats killed, those pits are back home...oh wait one is home the ginormous male while the female who was preggy was spayed and now in rehab to possible adopt!
All dogs chase cats, many dogs HATE cats....but the killing instinct is inbreed, and created by the owner of the dog!
We have dobermans, and boxers...sure if you come in our yard or near our cars you will be in for a big black and brown surprise, but if your introduced you will be loved, and honored as our dogs have been! Children are never an issue around our dogs, however children who taunt and tease are an issue around EVERY DOG!
Sadly pits, rotties, dobies, german sheperds, all are getting a bad rap. Lets allow the owners to be held accountable not the dog!
There are poodles, terriers, goldens, labs, great danes, dalmations that are declared vicious dogs so watch your judgment and prejudice assumptions!
Sadly in many communities the animal control officers offer lip service and convaluted statements. If a dog has killed and or mauled another animal just as a DUI that should be PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE...a red license plate, a sign in your front yard...look at megan's list. Unfortunatly when a dog is declared vicious all you get is high tension amongest neighbors, and NO accountablity from your local Animal (outta)Control officers!
CRADD

United States

#4 Jul 20, 2008
Brenda looks like GANSTA!
CLAMP- not me

United States

#5 Jul 20, 2008
First with the lowest IQ can claim this Pit.
ROF_LMAO

Brisbane, CA

#6 Jul 20, 2008
YeaBringAPitHome wrote:
HA HA HA...not a mean bone in her body...well she is a PITBULL MIX..that says it all. Sadly because of the overbreeding, lack of education, and need for machismo MOST pits in this area are MEAN, killing animals. Look at the local mid county area where two pits got out AGAIN and mauled a little dog...the pits are at home, the little dog on his way to heaven!
The recent attack in Watsonville 3-5 cats killed, those pits are back home...oh wait one is home the ginormous male while the female who was preggy was spayed and now in rehab to possible adopt!
All dogs chase cats, many dogs HATE cats....but the killing instinct is inbreed, and created by the owner of the dog!
We have dobermans, and boxers...sure if you come in our yard or near our cars you will be in for a big black and brown surprise, but if your introduced you will be loved, and honored as our dogs have been! Children are never an issue around our dogs, however children who taunt and tease are an issue around EVERY DOG!
Sadly pits, rotties, dobies, german sheperds, all are getting a bad rap. Lets allow the owners to be held accountable not the dog!
There are poodles, terriers, goldens, labs, great danes, dalmations that are declared vicious dogs so watch your judgment and prejudice assumptions!
Sadly in many communities the animal control officers offer lip service and convaluted statements. If a dog has killed and or mauled another animal just as a DUI that should be PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE...a red license plate, a sign in your front yard...look at megan's list. Unfortunatly when a dog is declared vicious all you get is high tension amongest neighbors, and NO accountablity from your local Animal (outta)Control officers!
"Animal (outta)Control officers! "

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ......YOU SAID IT !!!!
wow

Santa Cruz, CA

#7 Jul 20, 2008
you people are pretty ignorant. I bet none of you have ever owned a pit bull or a pit bull mix. I have both a pure bred pit, a rot and pit mix and i also have a pure bred boxer. Let me tell you that they are the best dogs i have ever had. Maybe you should focus on the people who raise and breed the dogs to be mean. PUNISH THE DEED NOT THE BREED!! They are lovers and loyal as can be. I have had more problems with poodles, chihuahuas, Min pins and dalmations. I wouldn't trade my pit, my rot/pit, or my boxer in any day for one of your "safer" breeds. By the way, my dogs LOVE everyone including SMALL CHILDREN!! ;)
rita

United States

#8 Jul 20, 2008
wow wrote:
you people are pretty ignorant. I bet none of you have ever owned a pit bull or a pit bull mix. I have both a pure bred pit, a rot and pit mix and i also have a pure bred boxer. Let me tell you that they are the best dogs i have ever had. Maybe you should focus on the people who raise and breed the dogs to be mean. PUNISH THE DEED NOT THE BREED!! They are lovers and loyal as can be. I have had more problems with poodles, chihuahuas, Min pins and dalmations. I wouldn't trade my pit, my rot/pit, or my boxer in any day for one of your "safer" breeds. By the way, my dogs LOVE everyone including SMALL CHILDREN!! ;)
what drew you to this type of dog? and a min pin can't do the damage one of yours can. sick of the parade of people covered with meth tats walking thier bada** pit. there's only two reasons to want to own one of these ill bred killing machines, stupidity or criminal activity. the nunber of pits at Scotts Valley Shelter show how out of control it has gotten and the fact they are not putting them down shows what a pathetic joke of animal services we have. all this money for pits and bunnies. ridiculous!
Grammar One 0 One

Milpitas, CA

#9 Jul 20, 2008
"none of you HAS ever owned a pit bull...."
wow wrote:
rita

United States

#10 Jul 20, 2008
Grammar One 0 One wrote:
<quoted text>
no, never owned a pit bull. have always gotten dogs that were companions or working dogs. again, why would you chose a pit over any other breed?
Absolutely Wrong Rita

Alviso, CA

#11 Jul 20, 2008
rita wrote:
why are shelters adopting out pit bulls, mixed or not? they need to be euthanized. The breed has been ruined by bad breeding. Maybe it can be daved, but it would take a long time, with conscionable breeders. Look at the Scottd Valley shelter, most of dogs up for adoption are pits. At the very least, they should have to be kept, away from children, in secure fencing.
You are absolutely wrong and are just prejudiced against the breed. Before dogs are adopted out from Animal Services, they are temperament tested, which is more than most breeders do for any breed, and is more than any puppy mill supplying a pet store will do. Any dog with pit bull mixed in gets even more scrutiny by shelter evaluaters, and is judged harder than, say, a dachshund, which is more inclined to bite. Dogs at AS are walked a few times a day by volunteers, who work with them and help to evaluate their behaviors. A dog that makes it through to adoption from AS is well-socialized. AS is a kill shelter. They will euthanize a dog if there is any doubt about it's temperament.

It is irresponsible to get online and smear an entire breed in an effort to keep this mixed breed dog from getting adopted, Rita. Go to this link and see which breeds are the real biters:

http://www.wnbc.com/family/16819735/detail.ht...

If anyone wants responsible information about pit bulls, go to this rescue site:

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/

A pit/boxer mix has the makings of a stable and loving companion. The breeds' traits complement each other.

(If I could change one thing about AS, it would be to make them judge the adopters as hard as they do the dogs. They have adopted dogs out to some awfully irresponsible people.)

rita

United States

#12 Jul 20, 2008
Absolutely Wrong Rita wrote:
<quoted text>
You are absolutely wrong and are just prejudiced against the breed. Before dogs are adopted out from Animal Services, they are temperament tested, which is more than most breeders do for any breed, and is more than any puppy mill supplying a pet store will do. Any dog with pit bull mixed in gets even more scrutiny by shelter evaluaters, and is judged harder than, say, a dachshund, which is more inclined to bite. Dogs at AS are walked a few times a day by volunteers, who work with them and help to evaluate their behaviors. A dog that makes it through to adoption from AS is well-socialized. AS is a kill shelter. They will euthanize a dog if there is any doubt about it's temperament.
It is irresponsible to get online and smear an entire breed in an effort to keep this mixed breed dog from getting adopted, Rita. Go to this link and see which breeds are the real biters:
If anyone wants responsible information about pit bulls, go to this rescue site:
A pit/boxer mix has the makings of a stable and loving companion. The breeds' traits complement each other.
(If I could change one thing about AS, it would be to make them judge the adopters as hard as they do the dogs. They have adopted dogs out to some awfully irresponsible people.)
still does not answer my questions. Why would osmeone chose a pit over another breed? Why does the Scotts Valley shelter have more pits (usually) than anyother?
lesser of two evils

United States

#13 Jul 20, 2008
YeaBringAPitHome wrote:
I'd rather take home a Pit Bull than take home a Animal Outta Control Officer ! ha ha
RIVER IN EGYPT

United States

#14 Jul 20, 2008
Absolutely Wrong Rita wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU FORGOT THIS ONE-

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%20198...
wow

Santa Cruz, CA

#15 Jul 20, 2008
Oh yes lady, you are exactly right. I must be some dumb criminal right? Because those are the only people that own these dogs. You have got to be kidding me. Lots of stereotypes in your comment...tattoos and pit bulls equal stupid people and criminals.....get a grip lady.
rita wrote:
<quoted text>
what drew you to this type of dog? and a min pin can't do the damage one of yours can. sick of the parade of people covered with meth tats walking thier bada** pit. there's only two reasons to want to own one of these ill bred killing machines, stupidity or criminal activity. the nunber of pits at Scotts Valley Shelter show how out of control it has gotten and the fact they are not putting them down shows what a pathetic joke of animal services we have. all this money for pits and bunnies. ridiculous!
stupid

Santa Cruz, CA

#16 Jul 20, 2008
ouch, good comeback.....ha right
Grammar One 0 One wrote:
<quoted text>

Since: Jun 08

Fremont, CA

#18 Jul 20, 2008
As a volunteer at Animal Services and as a dog owner, I can say that some on this board are having an unfortunate knee jerk reaction to pit bulls.

I had my first experiance with a pit bull mix when my wife and I adopted a pit mix 10 years ago. Our Stella was 6 at the time and I will admit to having some nervousness about bringing her home since we had 3 indoor cats and planned on having her as an "indoor/outdoor" dog. Literally within 2 days, our 70 pound pit mix had been shown her place in the household, with our male older cat being the "top dog". We still have Stella, though she obviously doesn't go on those long walks any more being 16 years old.

Not only has Stella opened my eyes about the breed, but she has helped a number of children and adults overcome their fear of dogs. I can honestly say that Stella is the best dog I have ever had as part of my family.

As a volunteer dog walker at the Scotts Valley shelter for the last 2 years, I have come in contact with a LOT of dogs. Yes, their have been some "mean" pits, as their have been "mean" dogs of all breeds, but there have been many more very sweet cuddly pits and pit mixes.

There are 2 main reasons why pits have become the favorites of tough guys and dog fighters. They are obviously very strong, but they are also very intelligent and easy to train. "Absolutely Wrong Rita" made some very good points and is very correct about the work AS does before making a dog adoptable. I will point out that AS seems to have tightened up on who they allow to adopt a dog, and would rather hold or send a dog to a rescue group before just letting anyone adopt a dog. I have personally seen many people denied the right to adopt. Yes, some improvements are still needed, but with the new management in place, I am hopeful things will get even better.

Saying all pits are bad dogs and should be destroyed is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. For those that have been bashing the breed, spend some time educating yourself. Maybe even become a volunteer and become part of the solution instead of just whining about it.

If you have the space and time for a energetic and active dog, I can assure you that the RIGHT pit or pit mix can become a very loved member of your family. Just remember, you have to be a responsible dog owner with all breeds.

BTW, the Scotts Valley shelter currently has the sweetest most cuddly pit I have seen. Hennesey is less than a year old, is in need of a forever home. She is making it very hard for my wife and I to not bring her home to join our family. I would highly encourage you pit doubters to actually go at meet this dog, and walk away saying that she should be destroyed just because she's a pit.
Santa Cruz Local

San Francisco, CA

#19 Jul 20, 2008
The ignorant posts on here are appalling and sickening.

I'm sick of morons spouting off info they know NOTHING about.

FYI - I'm a blond, female in my early 20's - no tattoo's, no piercings, I"m not a thug, don't drink, don't do drugs. I have a Pit Bull.

What do you have to say about that? You can't lump us all into one category.

Is Rachel Raye a thug? What about Jessica Alba? Jessica Biel? Are they all "thugs"?
Are their dogs attacking people? No. Why? BECAUSE THEY'RE RESPONSIBLE. WHAT A CONCEPT!

It's the OWNER NOT the breed that makes a dog what it is.

So if you don't want a Pit Bull "mix", WHY RESPOND HERE? Keep your ignorance out of here - you're not wanted. This dog DESERVES a home, not idiots of Santa Cruz hating her because of THEIR ignorance.

Educate yourselves.
Santa Cruz Local

San Francisco, CA

#20 Jul 20, 2008
rita wrote:
<quoted text>
still does not answer my questions. Why would osmeone chose a pit over another breed? Why does the Scotts Valley shelter have more pits (usually) than anyother?
Why do shelters have more Pits than any other breed?

Simple answer: They are the most abused, abandoned, misunderstood, and exploited breed there is.(With Dobermans, Shepherds, and Rottweilers in second place)

They are THE most OVER BRED dog in the entire world. People breed and breed and breed this breed for MONEY, and dump them.

THAT'S why there are more of them in shelters.

And to answer your first question: Why is it any of YOUR business why any one person WANTS to own this breed?

It's OUR choice. Why do YOU care? It's none of your business.

Why do you choose to drive a car? Why do you work? Why do you buy things?

Because you choose to - you make a choice, because you can.

Same goes for any person who owns any one breed.

Why are YOU so IGNORANT????

Since: Jun 08

Fremont, CA

#21 Jul 20, 2008
Santa Cruz Local wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do shelters have more Pits than any other breed?
Simple answer: They are the most abused, abandoned, misunderstood, and exploited breed there is.(With Dobermans, Shepherds, and Rottweilers in second place)
They are THE most OVER BRED dog in the entire world. People breed and breed and breed this breed for MONEY, and dump them.
THAT'S why there are more of them in shelters.
And to answer your first question: Why is it any of YOUR business why any one person WANTS to own this breed?
It's OUR choice. Why do YOU care? It's none of your business.
Why do you choose to drive a car? Why do you work? Why do you buy things?
Because you choose to - you make a choice, because you can.
Same goes for any person who owns any one breed.
Why are YOU so IGNORANT????
You go girl. It's nice to see some intelligent people talking with common sense.

I think it's fair to say that some of the earlier post's spewing hate about pit's are from some of the same people that spew hate against people based on race, gender, or class of people. Closed minded people are a real problem in this comunnity and this world.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Holy Shlicht! Santa Merrida "Bend Over" Troll O... 30 min So it seems 37
News Randall Philip Kane, founder of Catalyst Club, ... (Jul '09) 23 hr ella seneres 93
specialized bicycle company Problem Jan 14 JammedTrailBike 1
Review: Highland Meadows Apartments (Apr '11) Jan 12 Maribel 1,224
News Aptos man arrested for being 'prolific graffiti... (May '09) Jan 12 username 25
News To Fight Climate Change, New York City Takes on... Jan 11 Nice start 1
News PVUSD cuts $5.5 million (Feb '10) Jan 7 quien sabe 80

Santa Cruz Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Santa Cruz Mortgages