Wildland fire breaks out on Martin Road

Wildland fire breaks out on Martin Road

There are 186 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Jun 11, 2008, titled Wildland fire breaks out on Martin Road. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

A wildland fire broke out about 3:30 p.m. in the 1200 block of Martin Road off of Ice Cream Grade and Pine Flat Road.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Downtowner

San Francisco, CA

#1 Jun 11, 2008
I hope it goes out soon and everyone is safe! Be careful firefighters!
SKy

Santa Cruz, CA

#2 Jun 11, 2008
Please keep us constantly posted.

Thank you.
Abby

Santa Cruz, CA

#3 Jun 11, 2008
I can see huge smoke clouds from UCSC, but the air is breathable and there's no ash over here.
How big is the fire?
corndog831

United States

#4 Jun 11, 2008
god be with the fire fighters
and the people who's homes are in danger
Prayer

Santa Cruz, CA

#5 Jun 11, 2008
I agree... May God be with who ever is affected by this once again tragedy
Mel

Monterey, CA

#6 Jun 11, 2008
A big thank you to all you firemen and women for putting yourselves into the face of danger for the rest of us

“Clock Strikes Twelve”

Since: Mar 08

SANTA CRUZ

#7 Jun 11, 2008
corndog831 wrote:
god be with the fire fighters
and the people who's homes are in danger
You said it best, and I second that.

I hope this isn't another man-made burn that caused it. The mountain folk should get off their bums and haul their trash and leaves to the dump and stop burning. Not worth the risk. Good luck to all involved. I hope it goes well.
updates

Danville, CA

#9 Jun 11, 2008
Thank you for the constant updates, Sentinel folk.
bugsy

Los Gatos, CA

#10 Jun 11, 2008
this is shaping up to be a memorable year for fires...
Santa Cruz Native

Fremont, CA

#11 Jun 11, 2008
I hope to see more updates here from the Sentinel. I'm listening to the scanner, and it sounds REALLY bad. Fire and law enforcement is calling for all possible help..

Radio KSCO 1080 is covering this live right now.
Leslie

United States

#12 Jun 11, 2008
Wake up call #2

Clear all the brush 100 ft. around your home.

Thank you to all the firefighters!
Local

Santa Cruz, CA

#13 Jun 11, 2008
Santa Cruz Native wrote:
I hope to see more updates here from the Sentinel. I'm listening to the scanner, and it sounds REALLY bad. Fire and law enforcement is calling for all possible help..
Radio KSCO 1080 is covering this live right now.
I keep hearing planes overhead. I hope they can get this fire out quickly. Thank goodness its a bit cooler today.
sounds like

Santa Cruz, CA

#14 Jun 11, 2008
love KSCO thks Native fo the info.
Santa Cruz Native

Fremont, CA

#15 Jun 11, 2008
Just heard the fire's at 100+ acres. They have fire crews from all over the central coast coming in, but are only concentrating on structure protection at this point. Unknown how many evacuations there are, but the Sheriff has all available deputies going door to door.1869
Santa Cruz Native

Fremont, CA

#17 Jun 11, 2008
At least 7 air tankers are working or on route. Unknown how many helicopters, but they are asking for more of the heavy duty military type air support.

Fire and law enforcement are real hereos in times like this.

If you live anywhere in the area, be ready to move out. Remember to have all your animals contained and ready to go. The animal evacuations were a proplem in the last fire.
Local

Santa Cruz, CA

#19 Jun 11, 2008
Santa Cruz Native wrote:
At least 7 air tankers are working or on route. Unknown how many helicopters, but they are asking for more of the heavy duty military type air support.
Fire and law enforcement are real hereos in times like this.
If you live anywhere in the area, be ready to move out. Remember to have all your animals contained and ready to go. The animal evacuations were a proplem in the last fire.
Thanks for the updates. I hear the B40 fire department leaving now.
Beep Beep

San Francisco, CA

#20 Jun 11, 2008
Thanks for the updates SC Native. I can't find a way to listen to KSCO at work. Used to live on ICG and have many friends in Bonny Doon.

Thoughts and prayers to everyone involved, especially the Fire Fighters and Law Enforcement.
the dog

San Jose, CA

#21 Jun 11, 2008
And Blessings and Best of Luck to all the Residents as well.
Thibault H

Berkeley, CA

#22 Jun 11, 2008
Sentinel, I hope you do better this time with more pictures and in-depth reporting. The last fire on summit was really poorly reported by you. SJ Mercury did a far better job. But Mercury is not our hometown paper. The Sentinel is!
treehugger

Santa Cruz, CA

#23 Jun 11, 2008
It's going to be a very long year for those of us living in the wooded areas. I pray that as many lives and homes as possible are spared.

God Bless the firefighters, they do heroic work.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vote For Donald Trump 10 hr Just Sayin 11
Why did fat chicks with colostomy bags steal th... 12 hr Woof 17
Will Apache Eddie hit Samar with a Colostomy Bag 14 hr More Info 14
Fail again John 20 hr Woof 13
Meditation with Tibetan bowls and Reiki. Wed nadejda _reiki 1
News Suspected Hells Angels member arrested for ster... (Sep '10) Apr 26 Gene Pool 121
News Recreational crabbing open south of mouth of Hu... Apr 25 WooF 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Santa Cruz Mortgages