Survey: Homeless Trend in Santa Cruz County Rising

Oct 23, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Patch.com

Despite the improving nationwide economy, a new census report indicates the number of homeless people in Santa Cruz County is trending upward.

Comments (Page 9)

Showing posts 161 - 164 of164
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Facile Largire de Alieno”

Since: Sep 12

Scotts Valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2013

Judged:

[QUOTE who="Becky (BJ) Johnson"]I just posted this on the SantaCruzCrime.org website:
Michael, thanks for your exhaustive data intended to “prove” that our homelessness problem arises from homeless people migrating here in order to live on our streets. But your data prove just the opposite: Only 13% of our homeless population came from out of state. 72% last has housing in Santa Cruz County (see: Homeless Census & Survey 2013) which is up 10 percent from the 2009 survey you quoted. This is still slightly higher than in San Mateo, Santa Clara, or Monterrey Counties, but not significantly.
The big news is that Santa Cruz County has slipped drastically in the % of our homeless population which we shelter. Our rate of 18% sheltered is one of the lowest in the country.
The OTHER big news is that the City of Santa Cruz suffered a huge increase of 28% in the number of persons enumerated as homeless. Clearly the police & public works “crack downs” which the City paid for and implemented have, if anything, made the problem worse.
Finally, why is it so damn important that you distinguish between OUR homeless and someone ELSE’S homeless? Aren’t they all people? Isn’t it obvious that they are in need? Why haven’t we been able to do a better job of helping these people with housing, medical needs, food, job opportunities, and counseling? Are we cheap? Or are we prejudiced? I can’t think of any other possible reason.
Thank-you for your thoughtful research.
[/QUOTE]

Just because they spent the night before their arrest at 115 Coral Street doesn't make them local. "Locals" don't migrate here, they have been here for a substantial length of time. Homelessness is in decline across the US but rapidly increasing HERE. Can you say Bum Magnet? How many more bums will come flocking here if we establish a sanctuary camp? Shudder1
DBS

Sunnyvale, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2013

Judged:

There's a simple solution to BJ Whackjob's "Last had housing in SC" garbage.

How about "Last had EMPLOYMENT and PAID FOR THEIR OWN housing"??

We could then weed out who had a history of being a productive member of the community, and A Junkie who burned his family,etc, and hitched to SC with enough stolen money for a cheap Motel for a week.
Raleigh

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2013

Judged:

Becky Johnson wrote:
Here's the quote that you replied to:
" Michael Becker
October 17, 2013 at 9:15 am

Here’s some interesting comparison numbers I compiled from both the previous reports:
For 2011:
46% of the homeless surveyed lived in Santa Cruz for less than a year before becoming homeless, of those 33% came here homeless
For 2009:
49% of the homeless surveyed lived in Santa Cruz for less than a year before becoming homeless, of those 38% came here homeless
2011 Survey Questions
13. Where were you living right before you most recently became homeless?
Response – Frequency – Percent
City of Santa Cruz – 109 – 22.0%
Watsonville – 88 – 17.8%
San Lorenzo Valley – 35 – 7.1%
Live Oak – 21 – 4.2%
Capitola – 16 – 3.2%
Soquel – 15 – 3.0%
Scotts Valley – 13 – 2.6%
Aptos – 12 – 2.4%
Davenport – 3 – 0.6%
Other areas – 21 – 4.2%
Other county in California -96 – 19.4%
Out of state – 66 – 13.3%
Total – 495 – 100.0%
13a. How long had you lived in Santa Cruz County before becoming homeless?
Response Frequency Percent
7 days or less – 23 – 7.0%
8 – 30 days – 4 – 1.2%
1 – 3 months – 7 – 2.1%
4 – 6 months – 6 – 1.8%
7 – 11 months – 3 – 0.9%
1 – 2 years – 32 – 9.7%
3 – 5 years – 50 – 15.2%
6 – 10 years – 45 – 13.7%
More than 10 years – 159 – 48.3%
Total – 329 – 100.0%
In addition to the 32.7% that lived away from Santa Cruz right before becoming homeless another 13% actually came to Santa Cruz and became homeless within less than a year.
So these statistics show that in 2011, 45.7% of the homeless surveyed lived in Santa Cruz for less than a year before becoming homeless.

2009 Survey Questions
10. Where were you living at the time you most recently became homeless
Santa Cruz County – 249 – 62.3%
Other County in CA – 87 – 21.8%
Out of State – 64 – 16%
Total – 400 – 100%
10a. If you had been living in Santa Cruz, how long had you lived in the County before becoming homeless?
7 days or less – 9 – 3.8%
8 – 30 days – 4 – 1.7%
1 – 3 months – 3 – 1.3%
4 – 6 months – 5 – 2.1%
7 – 11 months – 6 – 2.5%
1 – 2 years – 29 – 12.2%
3 – 4 years – 24 – 10.1%
6 – 10 years – 27 – 11.4%
More than 10 years –-130 – 54.9%
Total – 237 – 100%
In addition to the 37.8% that lived away from Santa Cruz right before becoming homeless another 11.4% actually came to Santa Cruz and became homeless within less than a year.
So these statistics show that in 2009 49.2% of the homeless surveyed lived in Santa Cruz for less than a year before becoming homeless"

Who has compiled and compared statistics? Who took the time to understand the numbers they were compiling? Who told the truth? Who understands how to read statistics/data and can analyze them correctly? My answer: NOT Becky Johnson or any other HUFF member.
george

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2013

Judged:

Let us talk about this post by Becky Johnson:
" Becky Johnson
• 10 hours ago

I hear regret and possibly guilt in Regina's account. She admits leaving the nasty note the 1st or 2nd day she saw the broken down camper. Since she's the captain of her neighborhood watch, and the SCPD are ALWAYS saying to report anything suspicious, we can pretty well assume she did call the police on Debbie, adding to her woes.
I think Debbie's death has been a huge wake-up call for her.
Since we don't know (and may never know) how Debbie died, we are left with these possibilities: 1) the fire was caused by faulty wiring, an accident & a tragedy
2) Debbie contributed in some way to the fire through cooking, trying to fix her own vehicle, or possibly from smoking inside the RV 3) the fire was caused by arson committed by either a) one of the people Regina said were preying on her or b) vigilantes inspired by the anti-homeless statements of TBSC, Vice-Chief Steve "because I can" Clark, Lynn "lets shut down the HSC" Robinson, Pamela "clean sweeps" Comstock & Mayor Hilary "trash can" Bryant, set fire to the RV in what has turned out to be murder
Or 4) It was a suicide. I doubt this as few people choose burning to death as a way to end their life.
Nor am I 100% sure we will get a straight answer from the authorities. No one on the City Council wants to admit that they were in some way responsible for inspiring an arson hate crime which killed a nice elderly woman."

Your possibilities are far-reaching attempts to attach this death to TBSC, the Government, and the Police department. It's so far-reaching that you are calling it a hate crime before any evidence has been presented for the cause of the fire.

I feel that this quoted post is one of the greatest examples of flawed logic and prejudice shown by our HUFF advocates who didn't even know Debbie (and Robert lives 1 mile away from the FCB).

How can advocates for the homeless not even know who Debbie was, a chronic homeless woman living on the streets with her son? Is that because most homeless want Becky, Robert, John, and HUFF as far away from their lives as possible. I don't believe that is a far-reaching assumption, and I know that while I was dealing with live without a home I stayed as far away from those types of people as I could. People can stand up for themselves, they don't need advocates of the HUFF kind.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 161 - 164 of164
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Santa Cruz Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Santa Cruz People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance