Survey: Homeless Trend in Santa Cruz ...

Survey: Homeless Trend in Santa Cruz County Rising

There are 164 comments on the Patch.com story from Oct 23, 2013, titled Survey: Homeless Trend in Santa Cruz County Rising. In it, Patch.com reports that:

Despite the improving nationwide economy, a new census report indicates the number of homeless people in Santa Cruz County is trending upward.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Patch.com.

“Pearls before swine”

Since: Mar 08

Santa Cruz, CA.

#61 Oct 29, 2013
CRAIG WRITES: "Santa Cruz County as one of the richest counties in the world??"

BECKY: Santa Cruz County ranks 5th in the State in median housing costs out of 58 counties. While Atlanta is the most affordable city in which to buy a home, San Francisco is the least in the county. Our DIRT is more expensive than most places in the country. Hawaii, Beverly Hills, New York City, San Francisco, & Marin cost more. We are a WEALTHY county!
Welfare

Santa Cruz, CA

#62 Oct 29, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
To end homelessness, we need to boost wages, cut housing costs, or both.
There is no end to homelessness. Boosting wages means someone is absorbing the cost to pay you, that is your employer. What about jobs, how does increasing wages affect job offers? Housing? What does supply and demand have to do with all of this?
Becky Johnson wrote:
This has NOTHING to do with "personal responsibility." In fact, if you insist on blaming someone, blame our Past local leaders for failing to oversee that sufficient housing is built or made available affordable to the people who work and live here.
Homelessness has everything to do with personal responsibility. Ask anyone that is homeless and has a decent head on their shoulders. Blame falls solely on the person that cannot adapt, persevere, and create their own opportunities.
DBS

Santa Clara, CA

#63 Oct 29, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
CRAIG WRITES: "Santa Cruz County as one of the richest counties in the world??"
BECKY: Santa Cruz County ranks 5th in the State in median housing costs out of 58 counties. While Atlanta is the most affordable city in which to buy a home, San Francisco is the least in the county. Our DIRT is more expensive than most places in the country. Hawaii, Beverly Hills, New York City, San Francisco, & Marin cost more. We are a WEALTHY county!
Oh my,...fortunately this nutjob isn't allowed to babysit School classes any more!!!
Dear BJ

Santa Clara, CA

#64 Oct 29, 2013
You are stupid and FAT!

Shut up and go away.
Zombie Corpse Rental

San Jose, CA

#65 Oct 29, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
CRAIG WRITES: "Santa Cruz County as one of the richest counties in the world??"
BECKY: Santa Cruz County ranks 5th in the State in median housing costs out of 58 counties. While Atlanta is the most affordable city in which to buy a home, San Francisco is the least in the county. Our DIRT is more expensive than most places in the country. Hawaii, Beverly Hills, New York City, San Francisco, & Marin cost more. We are a WEALTHY county!
That's 5th in HOUSING COSTS, not INCOME.
Don't you even read your own posts?
Craig

New York, NY

#66 Oct 29, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
BECKY: Santa Cruz County ranks 5th in the State in median housing costs out of 58 counties. While Atlanta is the most affordable city in which to buy a home, San Francisco is the least in the county. Our DIRT is more expensive than most places in the country. Hawaii, Beverly Hills, New York City, San Francisco, & Marin cost more. We are a WEALTHY county!
BECKY, BECKY, BECKY...... Poor, uninformed, simple minded BECKY.

Santa Cruz County is not even in the top 100 wealthiest counties in the country, let alone in the world. That's not my opinion, it's fact. Look it up.

And regarding you above written examples. Since when is Beverly Hills a county? Really? Looks like you've been eating too much toast with your special "butter" on it.
Craig

New York, NY

#67 Oct 29, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
CRAIG WRITES: "In the 2011 census 33% was 914 people. In the 2013 census the lower rate of 28% is 990 people. This is because the total increased significantly. So actually MORE homeless are coming here after becoming homeless then before. More people are making it their destination."

BECKY: By your own figures, a total of 76 people are measured as having been homeless already before moving into Santa Cruz County?
Is it that you just don't comprehend the English language or you're really as dumb as you present yourself?

Which one is it, BECKY?
Reality Check

Santa Cruz, CA

#68 Oct 29, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
CRAIG WRITES: "In the 2011 census 33% was 914 people. In the 2013 census the lower rate of 28% is 990 people. This is because the total increased significantly. So actually MORE homeless are coming here after becoming homeless then before. More people are making it their destination."
BECKY: By your own figures, a total of 76 people are measured as having been homeless already before moving into Santa Cruz County? After 2 years. That represents 0.028% of our population of 266,776. Numerically, this is insignificant...
Not surprisingly, you're using BeckyMath(TM). The rational bases to use would be that of the current homeless population, or more reasonably, that of the homeless housing capacity. In the latter, it's 2x the current transient capacity.
Becky Johnson wrote:
...The problem is NOT that our services are a "magnet for homelessness." The problem CAUSING homelessness is the gap between the wages earned and the cost of housing. To end homelessness, we need to boost wages, cut housing costs, or both..
Wouldn't the 'we' in this case be the places where these people came from? And why did they come here? For the wages which are far too low to support the cost of housing? If someone came here homeless, your argument goes away altogether.
Reality Check

Santa Cruz, CA

#69 Oct 29, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
CRAIG WRITES: "Santa Cruz County as one of the richest counties in the world??"
BECKY: Santa Cruz County ranks 5th in the State in median housing costs out of 58 counties. While Atlanta is the most affordable city in which to buy a home, San Francisco is the least in the county. Our DIRT is more expensive than most places in the country. Hawaii, Beverly Hills, New York City, San Francisco, & Marin cost more. We are a WEALTHY county!
So in BeckyWorld(TM), land values equal wealth. Thus if someone lives in a $500K house, and owes the bank a $600K mortgage, this person is 'wealthy'. Of course, if you use BeckyMath(TM), you would add the value of the house to the amount of the mortgage to make the total value of the property $1.1M.
Sigh.
j helms

Oakland, CA

#70 Oct 30, 2013
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
So in BeckyWorld(TM), land values equal wealth. Thus if someone lives in a $500K house, and owes the bank a $600K mortgage, this person is 'wealthy'. Of course, if you use BeckyMath(TM), you would add the value of the house to the amount of the mortgage to make the total value of the property $1.1M.
Sigh.
There is WAY too much prostitution here, The prostitutes need that "homeless dog out" courage to keep from being homeless and strengthen their financial status. The wannabe's in TBSC really channeled that energy into racketeering property and that really showed when the TBSC wannabe's tried for the harvey west and pogonip properties. I sure their is some private property there somewhere their interested in. God forbid they should use the "lean laws" and use homelessness and drugs to lean a city or county property.
j helms

Oakland, CA

#71 Oct 30, 2013
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
So in BeckyWorld(TM), land values equal wealth. Thus if someone lives in a $500K house, and owes the bank a $600K mortgage, this person is 'wealthy'. Of course, if you use BeckyMath(TM), you would add the value of the house to the amount of the mortgage to make the total value of the property $1.1M.
Sigh.
I wonder how the "sacrificial bums" feel about being used to turn tricks with hiv/hpv victims for baby formula(cut in cocaine). Personally--I'm 50 years old and the dark judaics and hookers ruined my life--I'm none too happy about it.
j helms

Oakland, CA

#72 Oct 30, 2013
On the nail the hookers and dark judaics put in their coffin??--- I will shine that nail so shiny, to a sheen so bright the heavens will cover their eyes--for I am the hand of the lord jesus christ--I have 10 years clean and sober-pure.
j helms

Oakland, CA

#73 Oct 30, 2013
If you guys think the cherokee and osage hasidics are going to come rushing in to save american values and standards for a group of serial killer std spreading prostitutes and foreign organized drug front wannabe racketeering planet ruiners????? I don't think that's going to happen.
DBS

Santa Clara, CA

#74 Oct 30, 2013
I think the Syphilitic Spirochettes have bored their way into the last functioning fraction of BJ's dopefried cinder of a brain.
She's sounding more and more like Jeffie.
Buzz

Redlands, CA

#75 Oct 30, 2013
DBS wrote:
I think the Syphilitic Spirochettes have bored their way into the last functioning fraction of BJ's dopefried cinder of a brain.
She's sounding more and more like Jeffie.
She is just being purposefully obtuse and immune to either reason or logic or "shudder" FACTS! This is where her sycophantic, enamored, psychotic, drooling idiot, John.E Colby, learned his craft.
Donny B

Falls Church, VA

#76 Oct 30, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
CRAIG WRITES: "In the 2011 census 33% was 914 people. In the 2013 census the lower rate of 28% is 990 people. This is because the total increased significantly. So actually MORE homeless are coming here after becoming homeless then before. More people are making it their destination."
BECKY: By your own figures, a total of 76 people are measured as having been homeless already before moving into Santa Cruz County? After 2 years. That represents 0.028% of our population of 266,776. Numerically, this is insignificant. The problem is NOT that our services are a "magnet for homelessness." The problem CAUSING homelessness is the gap between the wages earned and the cost of housing. To end homelessness, we need to boost wages, cut housing costs, or both.
This has NOTHING to do with "personal responsibility." In fact, if you insist on blaming someone, blame our Past local leaders for failing to oversee that sufficient housing is built or made available affordable to the people who work and live here.
http://i.imgur.com/BVLBTnW.gif
Donny B

Falls Church, VA

#77 Oct 30, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
CRAIG WRITES: "No, not "just like everywhere else".
Previously you stated that the homeless rate in Santa Cruz was similar to any major city in the US. I responded with a list of the top 10 US cities along with their homeless rate. As a percentage, Santa Cruz beat all the top 10 by double."
BECKY: First, have you considered that SC County does a GREAT JOB of collecting its census? Localities that do a poor job of data collection, produce statistics that are much lower than the actual rate of homelessness.
But even without making this adjustment, we do NOT have more than 3% of our population homeless. This means our rate lies within the 1%- 3% rate found in most parts of our nation.
We are NOT that special. However, new data suggest that the TBSC attitude is having the effect of making our UNSHELTERED rate of homelessness stand out as one of the worst in the nation. We used to be average!
http://i.imgur.com/BVLBTnW.gif
Donny B

Falls Church, VA

#78 Oct 30, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
CRAIG WRITES: "The actual number of people coming to Santa Cruz after becoming homeless,not the percentage but actual number, has increased in each census. They ARE coming to SC in ever increasing numbers."
BECKY: I don't think that's true or can be proven. Our surveys have ALWAYS shown that most people who are homeless in Santa Cruz last had housing in Santa Cruz. That makes them OUR homeless.
You want us to focus on the fly-speck elements statistically and ignore the massive & overwhelming evidence that:
1. homeless people are NOT moving to Santa Cruz in droves because of our "generous" homeless services
2. MOST of our increasing homeless population comes from people who lived here locally but lost a job, got a divorce, got sick, or otherwise lost their housing while living here.
3. Our homeless services are NOT "generous" by comparison with other cities
Prove me wrong, CRAIG.
http://i.imgur.com/BVLBTnW.gif
Donny B

Falls Church, VA

#79 Oct 30, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
CRAIG WRITES: "Santa Cruz County as one of the richest counties in the world??"
BECKY: Santa Cruz County ranks 5th in the State in median housing costs out of 58 counties. While Atlanta is the most affordable city in which to buy a home, San Francisco is the least in the county. Our DIRT is more expensive than most places in the country. Hawaii, Beverly Hills, New York City, San Francisco, & Marin cost more. We are a WEALTHY county!
http://i.imgur.com/BVLBTnW.gif
Craig

New York, NY

#80 Oct 30, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
17 out of the 18 people currently charged with murder are locals.
That's an interesting fact, BECKY. Thanks for pointing that out.

Now, five of the people currently charged with murder in Santa Cruz were involved with the horrific and barbaric beating of a homeless man in Depot Park. The man was beaten to death with stones and a skateboard. All five of the individuals charged are homeless. One of them is from another country.

So what you've uncovered is that five of the eighteen people currently charged with murder are homeless folks. That means 28% of those currently charged with murder in Santa Cruz are homeless. Nearly one third.

That's an amazing fact you've uncovered. Will you be sharing that information with others, like The Sentinel? I'm sure more people will be interested to know what you've brought to light.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Unsolved homicide in Live Oak 15 years ago cont... (Apr '08) 1 hr We Won Absolutely 12
News Woman, 70, whacks intruder in head with sauce pan (Feb '09) Aug 15 Sherwin Nelson 3
News Santa Cruz rents drop to pre-2007 levels, but s... (Jan '10) Aug 14 Woof 79
News Street Smarts: Capitola traffic cam catches the... (Jul '10) Aug 13 1962 grand prix 35
News Twenty years later, former Santa Cruz mayor get... (Jul '08) Aug 2 is he american 53
News Santa Cruz body shop owner charged with defraud... Jul 25 Foxfur 1
News ICE agents arrest 52 in Santa Cruz, Monterey co... Jul 23 Karma 9

Santa Cruz Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Santa Cruz Mortgages