Astronomers discover two new worlds orbiting ancient star next door:...

Jun 3, 2014 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Science Daily

Astronomers have discovered two new planets orbiting a very old star that is near to our own sun.

Comments
1 - 1 of 1 Comments Last updated Jun 4, 2014

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

Nuneaton

#1 Jun 4, 2014
Impressive story.

The info is far more interesting than the article actually made out as the main star shows a very low matallicity to go along with the extreme age.

This has a very pointed relevance to the planets orbiting the star as they would both have originated as mini gas giants orbiting the main star having condensed out of the disc with largest closest & smallest further out, with the biggest in the condensing disc eventually merging with the star during condensation.

The result is that once the star switches ON, the planets close to it begin to evaporate the H & He & other light elements leaving only the more refractory elements behind.

The inner planet is now about 5 Earth masses & is likely to be mostly H2O, CH4 & NH3 & lots of relatively refractory organic derivatives & metals from an original Saturn mass or bigger planet.

The outer is also likely to be smaller than its original size but at its distance (below H2O freezing point) it would retain the bulk of H & He and all of the organics with a loss of about 1/3 of its mass or less.

Original droplet sizes for condensation from a mostly H & He mix may begin @ Uranus mass but may be less. At the age of kapteyn's star the original condensation droplet is likely to be a Titanide type planet of earth mass & Titan type composition in the H & He mix nebula.

The 2 original planets around Kapteyns star would have been originally largest innermost, so both are likely above Uranus mass & would have been condensations onto original nuclei. There is more likely also to be a 3rd planet in the system outboard of Kapteyn c closer to the size of the original titanide condensation but being smaller it may now have evaporated all the H & He & be a Titan size & composition snowball by now.

have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
My father the WWII Vet never complained about h... (May '13) 5 hr DBS 27
How's the job search going John? (Feb '14) 7 hr DBS 23
Things in your backyard-- 9 hr Helms-enator 12
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 9 hr RiccardoFire 200,586
Ode to John Colby 11 hr hTLR 23
Security fencing, photo IDs new additions to Sa... 13 hr Helms-enator 4
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 19 hr Macko mono 5,000
•••
•••
•••

Santa Cruz Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Santa Cruz People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Santa Cruz News, Events & Info