Missing elderly woman found dead nort...

Missing elderly woman found dead north of Santa Cruz

There are 88 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Apr 13, 2010, titled Missing elderly woman found dead north of Santa Cruz. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

An elderly woman who last week walked away from the Front Street care facility where she lived was found dead off Highway 1 near Bonny Doon Road on Monday night, Santa Cruz police reported.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

slightly salty

San Francisco, CA

#74 Apr 13, 2010
My heart goes out to the son who carefully chose this facility thinking it was the best place for her. I am so very sorry for your loss. Please do not blame yourself, you were trying to do the best for your mother. Sunshine Villa screwed up royally and they are to blame for not closely watching their new charge. Such a sad story.
LIBEREXERAL

Seoul, Korea

#75 Apr 13, 2010
Ex Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh! but Obama Care will improve everything! I know, he told us so!
Hopefully the nurses hired by the money coming from ObamaCare will do a good job keeping you indoors.
Lisa

Santa Cruz, CA

#76 Apr 13, 2010
I was wondering how the hell no one saw her walking until Saturday. Most of Highway 1 is deserted, and seeing an older woman, you'd think someone would stop. I'm thinking there are people out there who now realize they DID see her as they drove north along Highway 1 before Saturday. I also think dementia patients should be in a locked facility.
Marilyn

San Jose, CA

#78 Apr 13, 2010
Sunshine Villa is a beautiful facility and is normally well run. I am confused though. The facility has a locked unit for dementia patients. I volunteered on the Dementia Floor for a number of years and it is impossible to leave that area without a staff member. The top floors of the facility resemble a hotel, with apartments. These living areas are not supervised and are not locked down. How did this woman get out? No patient with dementia should be without a tracking device and an adult supervisor. Why wasn't the community informed of her disappearance earlier? I certainly would have looked for her. And how did the poor woman manage to walk from the SC Wharf all the way to Boony Doon Road? I am an adult daughter of a mom with dementia. She is currently unable to walk because of a broken hip and is in a care facility. This is such a scary story. I feel so bad for the woman's son. Sunshine Villa is a high-end facility and I am sure he thought he was doing the best for her.
Marilyn

San Jose, CA

#79 Apr 13, 2010
Aptos Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
So I'm a "D-Bag"? How about all of the MANY families who hide their parents assets and then stick them in a nursing home on Medi-Cal for their "convenience" leaving the rest of us with a $70K annual bill? Think it doesn't happen? Guess again. And yes in case you were wondering, beach front homes are 100% exempt assets under the Medi-Cal rules.
STICK them in a nursing home?????? Adult Protective Services came to visit us after we were "caught" caring for my elderly mother in our house. The doctor DEMANDED 24 hour round-the-clock care by paid providers ($12,000 per month) or a nursing home - no other alternative. She had a beautiful situation at home. Our whole family sacrificed all are free time, weekends, and vacations to help out. Don't blame the family.
Dementia patients are very hard to care for, they can be very angry and violent. We did the best we could and were then forced to put her in a nursing home, where she is quickly going downhill.
We were threatened with jail time if we fought it - and they would make my mom a "Ward of the State" and seize her assets. That included her house, car and anything else that wasn't tied down.
They are crooks.
Elder Care is a MESS.
Somebody is making money, but it isn't the families.
SHAME ON YOU!
Marilyn

San Jose, CA

#80 Apr 13, 2010
rita wrote:
<quoted text>
your romantic idea of a "nobe" death is usually far from the really of a confused, hungry and dehydrated elderly person dying alone from the cold of night. Have you ever seen someone die? It is a process that should take place with those that love you circled around and comforting, not alone on some muddy road.
Thank you!
rita

Santa Cruz, CA

#81 Apr 13, 2010
Lisa wrote:
I was wondering how the hell no one saw her walking until Saturday. Most of Highway 1 is deserted, and seeing an older woman, you'd think someone would stop. I'm thinking there are people out there who now realize they DID see her as they drove north along Highway 1 before Saturday. I also think dementia patients should be in a locked facility.
Actually, according to story, someone did see her and did have any cause for alarm, it was onlyvafter hearing new report did tey call authorities. By that time, she may have gone into woods, as she did have scratches on her legs. i have ben ivovled in full out searches for people and still not found them, Even using dogs, three wheelers, helicopters and on foot sweeps. Since she disappeared from Front St., there was no reason to assume she had made it out of town and off Highway 1. If any on you disagreed with that, there was nothing stopping you from conducting your own search. In a perfect world, this wouldn't happen, however, this is the realworkd, tragedies happen, somewhere in the world every second. My condolences to the family.
Marilyn

San Jose, CA

#82 Apr 13, 2010
cruzer wrote:
How sad. To think the son erred in his choice of a care home. Sunshine Villa must be held accountable for this terrible tragedy. Personally, I think they should lose their license. People expect licensing to root out these dangerous businesses. Now I am wondering about the dangers to the current residents there!
Deepest condolences to the family (and please get a lawyer).
This young man didn't ERR in his choice of a care home - the care home erred in the treatment of his mother. This young man is a good son - do not malign him.
rita

Santa Cruz, CA

#83 Apr 13, 2010
Marilyn wrote:
<quoted text>
STICK them in a nursing home?????? Adult Protective Services came to visit us after we were "caught" caring for my elderly mother in our house. The doctor DEMANDED 24 hour round-the-clock care by paid providers ($12,000 per month) or a nursing home - no other alternative. She had a beautiful situation at home. Our whole family sacrificed all are free time, weekends, and vacations to help out. Don't blame the family.
Dementia patients are very hard to care for, they can be very angry and violent. We did the best we could and were then forced to put her in a nursing home, where she is quickly going downhill.
We were threatened with jail time if we fought it - and they would make my mom a "Ward of the State" and seize her assets. That included her house, car and anything else that wasn't tied down.
They are crooks.
Elder Care is a MESS.
Somebody is making money, but it isn't the families.
SHAME ON YOU!
Marilyn, sorry you have had such traumitizing experience. I wonder, hoever, how
aps got involved. Have there been disagreements amongst family members as to care? Were there issues of hoarding in the home, making a firehazrd? APS only gets involved if someone reports something. Family members are aldo able to get paid to be caregivers, as it is less expensive than nuring home of other hired care. Were there anytimes she was left alone?, Had there been problems? Were relatives hoping to keep house and/or car? You do have the right to appeal such decisions and can sometimes get help through Legal Aid.
Gaborishly Green Acres

United States

#84 Apr 13, 2010
Local Christa wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not know you...so I can say that you are , or are not D-bag. What I do find a little insulting is the implication that people who need to make this decision for a family member do it with the idea of screwing the system. The majority of families that need to make this decision do it with heart felt sadness. If you think that people who put their parents in these homes do not think that this is what might happen to them, then you have never had to make this type of decision. It is heart wrenching to watch the person who took care of you, gave you life and love is slowly disappearing. It is so hard to finally admit that you simply do not have the resources that it takes to take care of somebody that can not control themselves. People with dementia often become violent and need to be somewhere that can make sure that they are safe. I am so sad for this family. I am so sad for this poor woman that wondered around for THREE days alone and cold. That is where we should be at in our thoughts. Love like it is a verb.
So well written. So true. Sobering. and, for those of us who have been or are close to this, makes my eyes sting. I would like to see regulations eased for granny units, garage connversions, loosen them up and start thinking about where all the baby boomers are going to be 'put'....just a thought.
My heart goes out to her family.
Gaborishly Green Acres

United States

#85 Apr 13, 2010
rita wrote:
<quoted text>
Marilyn, sorry you have had such traumitizing experience. I wonder, hoever, how
aps got involved. Have there been disagreements amongst family members as to care? Were there issues of hoarding in the home, making a firehazrd? APS only gets involved if someone reports something. Family members are aldo able to get paid to be caregivers, as it is less expensive than nuring home of other hired care. Were there anytimes she was left alone?, Had there been problems? Were relatives hoping to keep house and/or car? You do have the right to appeal such decisions and can sometimes get help through Legal Aid.
Sounds like Public Conservatorship (under the California Welfare and Institution laws?) was what Marilyn's family was being 'threatened' with. A family member can obtain legal conservatorship - for their loved one(parent usually) when they are no longer able to care for themselves.
Big Wave

Santa Cruz, CA

#87 Apr 13, 2010
Hearing Fundingsland had died was heart-breaking, Clark said. Officers had held out hope a North Coast resident had taken the woman in. "We were really hopeful that we would find her," Clark said. "It's a shame."

We need a whole police department like him. I've heard him speak in neighborhood meetings, great representative.
Condolences

San Jose, CA

#88 Apr 13, 2010
Hoping that Sunshine Villa is heavily fined, that the family receives compensation for the loss of this lovely woman, and that she is at peace.

May the family accept my sincere sympathy for her passing. I will put this innocent victim in my prayers tonight.
JFS

Pahoa, HI

#89 Apr 13, 2010
What are you going do if she was not conserved? Or was she?

Could she be legally locked in a care facility?

Very sad all the way around.
Clint

Santa Cruz, CA

#90 Apr 13, 2010
The way that building is designed it's so easy for someone to get lost because the entrances are so close to the street. The article stated that she left the building at 5:30 p.m. and that the employees didn't know she was officially missing until 9:00 p.m.? That's way too late and too long for personnel to not have been aware of something suspicious.
rita

Santa Cruz, CA

#91 Apr 13, 2010
BIG Todd wrote:
Shooting on Alice Street in Live Oak, 2 doors down. i heard a pop pop and it really does sound like firecrackers. Where the F%^$& is my For Sale Sign-I'm out of this Mex Hell. This town is no longer ours-thanks to our liberal police force.
Innpropriate post tht hs nothing to do with subject matter.
sunshine villa

San Jose, CA

#92 Apr 14, 2010
With this executive director in place it was sure to happen. All she cares about is the money and getting people in there, not their safety.. she is first to critize the staff but not take responsibility for being the director of the facility. I hope that they look at this really good and that not only do they site the place but also get rid of the director. There was not these problem when they had other directors that cared for the people not the money...
Sorry for the family, let the public know this is not a safe place....
Publican

San Francisco, CA

#93 Apr 14, 2010
Aptos Parent wrote:

So I'm a "D-Bag"? How about all of the MANY families who hide their parents assets and then stick them in a nursing home on Medi-Cal for their "convenience" leaving the rest of us with a $70K annual bill? Think it doesn't happen? Guess again. And yes in case you were wondering, beach front homes are 100% exempt assets under the Medi-Cal rules.

Yes, I do think you are a D-Bag. This poor woman wandered out and you care more about your own little free-market/libertarian "woe is me" diatribe than about the death of a person who could no longer take care of herself.

As someone who has been in the nasty position of having to put a relative in such a care facility, I know how hard this is, and the guilt associated with supposed abandonment. It is often impossible to provide the level of care a terminally ill person needs. Then add on the element that this same person will possibly live many more years in a slow yet inexorable state of deterioration. Then add in the factor that you yourself still need to be able to go to work, provide for your family, pay your taxes... Sunshine Villa made a monumental error that resulted in a person's death, and they will pay for it one way or another. But you must consider that this was a policy decision by the controlling company, and it is likely the staff is devastated by this death.

To construct an attack against the person who put this poor woman in Sunshine Villa, and rail against the individual staff members is utterly self-serving.
Sunshine Villa daughter

Hayward, CA

#94 Apr 14, 2010
As the daughter of a contented and happy Sunshine Villa resident, I spend at least an hour a day at this beautiful and beautifully run facility and can personally attest to the competence, caring spirit, and loving kindness of the staff and the dedication and commitment they put into performing one of the hardest and least appreciated of services.
My heart goes out to the family who suffered this terrible tragedy; to the Villa staff, who searched tirelessly for the poor lost soul and are despondent about their failure to find her; and to the other residents, who are at risk of having their happy lives at the Villa further disrupted.
To my fellow commenters: please consider that you may not know all of the facts and refrain from gross generalizations that may cause further harm. "Judge not, lest ye be judged."
slightly salty

San Francisco, CA

#95 Apr 14, 2010
Sunshine Villa daughter wrote:
As the daughter of a contented and happy Sunshine Villa resident, I spend at least an hour a day at this beautiful and beautifully run facility and can personally attest to the competence, caring spirit, and loving kindness of the staff and the dedication and commitment they put into performing one of the hardest and least appreciated of services.
My heart goes out to the family who suffered this terrible tragedy; to the Villa staff, who searched tirelessly for the poor lost soul and are despondent about their failure to find her; and to the other residents, who are at risk of having their happy lives at the Villa further disrupted.
To my fellow commenters: please consider that you may not know all of the facts and refrain from gross generalizations that may cause further harm. "Judge not, lest ye be judged."
Most of us don't want to close Sunshine Villa, but we all know they made a huge and ultimately fatal error and they should not only feel despondent about it, but should thoroughly review their procedures related to patients with dementia and their staff who were on duty at the time. Judge not? Sorry, but people are entitled to their opinions about such things; that is what this forum is all about. If you don't like it don't read it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
FAT Pat has replaced FAT BJ. 11 hr Woof 24
FAT Pat should get a job at Chubbyland (Jun '15) 12 hr Woof 31
News Santa Cruz renters find online listing too good... (Aug '15) Wed brmoffet 2
Where did the LOON go? Wed Still raving 12
News Family of Krista DeLuca Sues Santa Cruz County Aug 23 Blob Mitchell 1
Will Juan Talamera turn into a combatant when t... Aug 22 woofers 8
What happened to Speed checks and DUI arrests ? Aug 22 woofers 12

Santa Cruz Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Santa Cruz Mortgages