California seeks to ban free, single-use carryout bags in retail

Jun 5, 2010 Full story: Chain Store Age 5,117

New York City The California State Assembly on Wednesday narrowly approved a bill would make California the first state in the nation to ban single-use plastic and paper bags from being handed out free of charge at supermarkets, drug stores, convenience stores and liquor stores.

Full Story
number 9

Azusa, CA

#5082 Oct 19, 2013
Has a number 9 train passed by here lately today?
laughing man

Pulaski, TN

#5083 Oct 19, 2013
Tazzie Pretty Dare wrote:
about time its killing our wild life
But it's what your stinking hippie parents wanted.
Number 9

Azusa, CA

#5085 Oct 19, 2013
Isn't the number 9 running on time today or yesterday, odd or even days I think.
Jan

United States

#5088 Oct 22, 2013
We use cloth bags. Of course, I'm sure that washing them occasionally creates OTHER environmental problems potentially, and we'd be taken on by the "save the earth" crowd. But until that happens, we'll continue using our own reuseable bags.(At least cloth, if you give it a few centuries, will decompose on its own.)

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

#5089 Oct 22, 2013
Jan wrote:
We use cloth bags. Of course, I'm sure that washing them occasionally creates OTHER environmental problems potentially, and we'd be taken on by the "save the earth" crowd. But until that happens, we'll continue using our own reuseable bags.(At least cloth, if you give it a few centuries, will decompose on its own.)
True, but can anyone win on this argument because reusing bags causes contamination and like you said washing them creates another problem.
Number 9

Azusa, CA

#5090 Oct 22, 2013
That number 9 train engine runs like a top.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#5091 Oct 22, 2013
The left hates the free in freedom and they hate tourism too. Why else let BART public employees strike?
Whattaluzer John

Santa Cruz, CA

#5092 Oct 23, 2013
John Colby wrote:
If I owned a company that produced these single use carry out bags, I would sell it now, ahead of government action.
Peekaboo John!!
Whattaluzer John

Santa Cruz, CA

#5093 Oct 23, 2013
the original curious cat wrote:
I agree with Colby. If I owned a company that produced these bags, I would sell my business immediately, ahead of government action.
Gotcha! LOL!!!!
Dorn

La Puente, CA

#5094 Oct 23, 2013
We reuse plastic bags for a number of things, and when they get holes in them we thake them to the recycling bin at the store they came from.
Number 9

Azusa, CA

#5095 Oct 23, 2013
The number 9 train engine will not be pulling any GOP, Republican and especially Tea Party filled rail cars.

Elk Grove, CA

#5096 Oct 23, 2013
Dorn wrote:
We reuse plastic bags for a number of things, and when they get holes in them we thake them to the recycling bin at the store they came from.
Contamination.
Number 9

Azusa, CA

#5097 Oct 23, 2013
The number 9 was applied by hand and it was free hand art.
Sensible

Los Angeles, CA

#5099 Oct 26, 2013
If you want to charge for them then redeem them for an equal amount You'll go the way of the glass bottle and eliminate the trash issue. But this is a tax not a solution
The only trash that is really recyclable is trash with a value. That unfortunately, does not include the Lawmakers that spend their time trashing their constituents Youre supposed to work for us not around us. Wonder how many of you that voted for this " piece of legislation " (being kind) head off to the super market carrying your reusable cloth bags LOL.
Koch

Azusa, CA

#5100 Oct 26, 2013
At the same time, right-wing attacks on Obamacare have reached a new level of perversity.

Generation Opportunity a front group for the Koch Brothers has launched a propaganda campaign aimed at convincing young people to opt out of the new healthcare exchanges, putting our kids' health at risk.

Elk Grove, CA

#5102 Oct 27, 2013
Koch wrote:
At the same time, right-wing attacks on Obamacare have reached a new level of perversity.
Generation Opportunity a front group for the Koch Brothers has launched a propaganda campaign aimed at convincing young people to opt out of the new healthcare exchanges, putting our kids' health at risk.
I think almost everyone is speaking out against ObamaCare these days including a lot of D's. It's a scam. Glad the Koch brothers are helping. Thanks for posting that.
Hoser

Azusa, CA

#5103 Oct 27, 2013
Don't move Riccardo, we will put the fire out you started on yourself.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#5104 Oct 28, 2013
Koch wrote:
At the same time, right-wing attacks on Obamacare have reached a new level of perversity. Generation Opportunity a front group for the Koch Brothers has launched a propaganda campaign aimed at convincing young people to opt out of the new healthcare exchanges, putting our kids' health at risk.
Now, 10 Democrat Senators want to delay Obamacare's individual mandate, just like the Tea Party. When you run out of money, stop spending.
Number 9

Azusa, CA

#5105 Oct 28, 2013
How do you control the smoke from number 9 smoke stack?
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#5107 Oct 28, 2013
The Lowenthal grocery and goods bag harassment tax has been imposed on Long Beach shoppers and food eaters as an exercise in punitive taxation that is designed to implement loony social schemes that are promoted by the radical element that has effectively seized control of the city.

Now it can be revealed that recent studies prove the link between Lowenthal Government reusable grocery and goods bags and death. According to Hugh Pennington, emeritus professor of bacteriology at the University of Aberdeen:*(GB)

"'bags-for-life' should never be used to carry raw meat or vegetables with soil on them...

"bacteria can be transferred from the meat to the bag and then onto other products which are eaten raw - such as fruit - causing food poisoning...

"raw meat should be carried in plastic bags which are then binned...

"washing the bags or cleaning them with antibacterial sprays is not sufficient to remove the bacteria.

"washing them or using antibacterial sprays is not enough to kill the bacteria transferred to them by raw meat."

"You canít get the bugs out just by washing them Ė it will get rid of some of the bacteria, but not all of them."

Professor Pennington's comments come after a study by University of Pennsylvania revealed that "since San Francisco banned the use of plastic bags in 2007, hospitalisations and deaths from foodborne illnesses have nearly doubled".

I know the children will criticize me for reporting what is only common sense. The kiddies must learn, though, that most of the revolutionary ruling class *(now in power)* received their expensive taxpayer subsidized Government indoctrination in radical California indoctrination centers such as those at Berkeley and Long Beach.

After the arrival of the destructive 60s 70s era ruling class - along with their idiot "Love children", normal society tolerated them because they wrongly believed "they will outgrow it". This error of judgement must now be addressed.

Even high paid Government operatives are admitting that the end of the antibiotic era is at hand. The children could rest assured that were they to catch some horrible bacterium as a result of their "trendy" moms using Lowenthal grocery bags, a trip to the Government licensed doctor would result in a 10 day antibiotic regimen. Today, the reusable lowenthal grocery bag may be an agent of the grim reaper who is especially on the lookout for our innocent little children.

Source: http://tinyurl.com/p4hjaru

Source: http://tinyurl.com/lrgcot3

Ronald

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The stigmata of being a wannabe in TBSC- 7 min anne Smith 30
John Colby is NOT Paul Mendoza on Indycrap and ... 1 hr John Colby 18
Temperatures expected to drop to near freezing ... 5 hr not John Colby 3
Take Back Santa Cruz counts 6,770 discarded nee... 5 hr not John Colby 13
SCPD Sgt Loran 'Butch' Baker Molested Nine Women? (Jul '13) 21 hr Get a job ColbyLOSER 309
Robert Norse--READ THIS-- (Oct '13) Thu JC squats to pee 113
Buzz stalks as "John Colby" (May '14) Thu JC squats to pee 162
Santa Cruz Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Santa Cruz People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Santa Cruz News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Santa Cruz

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News