San Jose man, Santa Cruz lawyer arrested in S.F. luxury-condo scam

A small army of law enforcement agencies swooped in on a San Jose estate and arrested a businessman and his Santa Cruz lawyer in what a police captain calls a "convoluted Bernie Madoff real estate scheme.'' Headed by the San Francisco Police Department, officers on Tuesday arrested telecommunications executive Jay Chandrakant Shah, 45, at his ... Full Story
john doe

United States

#1 Mar 24, 2010
Shah, who owns a company named Telsystems, is being held on $10 million bail and Emerich is being held on $7.5 million bail. Both are in custody at the San Francisco County Jail on suspicion of conspiracy, grand theft, identity theft, forged documents, filing false mortgage documents and money laundering.
Insane! Murder suspects routinely get $1 million bailout or even less for their crimes. Would you rather be ripped off, or DEAD?
John Galt

Santa Cruz, CA

#2 Mar 24, 2010
This sounds like a TV show script - either Lost of 24 - hard to tell which.

Maybe the next episode will cear things up.
Sum Dim

Oakland, CA

#3 Mar 24, 2010
john doe wrote:
<quoted text>
Insane! Murder suspects routinely get $1 million bailout or even less for their crimes. Would you rather be ripped off, or DEAD?
Dead. Why do you ask?
Donny B

Falls Church, VA

#4 Mar 24, 2010
john doe wrote:
<quoted text>
The amount of bail is not set based on the nature of the crime. The amount set for bail is to ensure the defendents show up in court. If a defendent has ties to the local area (i.e. family, owns property, etc.) and is otherwise of good character, typically bail is set low. If the person is irresponsible, a flight risk, etc. the bail will be set high. In this case, the defendents may be deemed as potential flight risks and may have funds stashed that would allow them to flee the country. Hence the high bail.
Under Atack

San Francisco, CA

#5 Mar 24, 2010
Santa Cruz perp is white collar, educated, pays his fair share of taxes, contributes significant sums to the local economy, doesn't rape or sell drugs, doesn't spit or poop in the streets, walk drunk in the streets, tag or vandalize property and is wealthy. You can bet that the Santa Cruz Judges will through the proverbial book at him. All is well in ya, ya Liberal Land. You can sodomize a tr-oll, slice up a high schooler, sell heroin to out-of-towners and shoot slugs into the neighborhood and get 1/10 of the sentence this guy will get. LOL.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#6 Mar 25, 2010
Again, America has been very, very good to me..What Im worried about is what Elvira going to do now that the old man is in the slammer? Back to the old country is my best guess...scammers and ID theft criminals need to do some big time...no excuses...Stoning would be appropriate..Johnny at the Harbor, gathering stones.
Mark Winshel

Moraga, CA

#7 Mar 25, 2010
How could a California lawyer possibly be involved in anything illegal?

After all, the California State Bar, in other words that totally corrupt organization with a secret system of two sets of books and which pretends its primary reason for existence is to protect the public from crooked lawyers, but which actually exists to cover for and protect a lot of crooked lawyers who should be disbarred and in many cases also sent to prison, pretends to do a thorough character check before issuing anyone a law license.

NOTE: The CSB has a full bag of tricks to keep the public from finding out the truth about most of the lawyers it licenses. For instance even in the rare cases it disciplines a lawyer, usually it does it through a private reproval rather than public discipline. And it also plays its cute word games, and such as usually stating on a lawyer's profile "No public record of discipline," and even though the lawyer might have been privately disciplined repeatedly by the CSB, and so as to keep secret the fact that the lawyer may have very well been repeatedly involved as a co conspirator in all sorts of criminal activities.

And it also sells pardons and coverups by going through the charade or pretending that the bribes it collects to sell those pardons and coverups are supposedly fees for courses.

So as to avoid losing all credibility, the CSB does occasionally publicly discipline some of the less powerful and less politically connected lawyers it licenses. However, the bigger, more powerful, and more politically connected lawyers have total immunity from any disciplinary ation by the CSB unless they get involved in a scam so big that it gets such major media publicity that it cannot be covered up or have the general public soon forget about it.
Richard Smith

Vallejo, CA

#8 Mar 25, 2010
Lawyers, guns, and money. What no guns? They should hook up with that kid in the Wat (Watsonville). Good old US of A; you would think we lived in the South.

"The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a bit
longer."
-- Henry Kissinger
More bad Guys

San Jose, CA

#10 May 16, 2010
So where did all the money go? Into the Jay Shah Trust with Jays Dad
Pay Attention Kids

San Jose, CA

#11 May 16, 2010
Elvia is not Indian. She is Spanish and she is innocent.
lol

Mcallen, TX

#12 Jun 23, 2010
Pay Attention Kids wrote:
Elvia is not Indian. She is Spanish and she is innocent.
Elvia is Mexican not Spanish. She was born in Mexico. Uneducated, high school drop out, loser and is out to find her next husband. Watch out Indians! LOL
Donny B

Falls Church, VA

#13 Jun 23, 2010
john doe wrote:
<quoted text>
Bail has little to do with the crime itself. It has everything to do with the assets the perps have and being high enough to make sure they stick around for their scheduled court date(s) and don't flee the country.
Acquaintance

Oakland, CA

#14 Apr 13, 2014
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
Elvia is Mexican not Spanish. She was born in Mexico. Uneducated, high school drop out, loser and is out to find her next husband. Watch out Indians! LOL
For all those haters out there talking bad about Elvia who are probably one of jays many ex's, she is a very lovely women I personally know her. She is very kind and has unfortunately been brought into this scheme and I hope In the future she meets somebody who is actually a good person and is not out there just being a hater.
-GraduateSchoolR eporter-

El Paso, TX

#15 Apr 13, 2014
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
This story has been brought to my attention due to character defamation made present on and in regards to Elvia Shah. For this, I am willing to state the facts, as I have witnessed first hand:
I had the pleasure of interviewing Elvia 6 months prior to thus incident. She was very polite and cooperative throughout our session. Furthermore, I cannot speak of her ethnicity nor education, but I can speak towards her integrity. She has officially been acquitted of all factors pertaining to Mr. Shahs' case. In fact, the jury found that she was quite victimized in the whole callous situation. She has suffered ill judgment due to the actions of another and received nothing but a dishonest spouse in the prison system from all of this.
Lastly, I look forward to editing her written text when and if she decides to publish.
University of California, Merced
Editorials and Publishing Dept.
Merced Sun Star

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Take Back Santa Cruz counts 6,770 discarded nee... 6 hr John Colby 12
Temperatures expected to drop to near freezing ... 8 hr ANON 1
SCPD Sgt Loran 'Butch' Baker Molested Nine Women? (Jul '13) 10 hr Get a job ColbyLOSER 309
The stigmata of being a wannabe in TBSC- 12 hr tin_lizzy 4
Robert Norse--READ THIS-- (Oct '13) Thu JC squats to pee 113
Buzz stalks as "John Colby" (May '14) Thu JC squats to pee 162
ColbyLOSERS have stooped to a new low. Thu John Colby 9
Santa Cruz Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Santa Cruz People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Santa Cruz News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Santa Cruz

Personal Finance