Capitola police hope DNA tests will r...

Capitola police hope DNA tests will resolve city's oldest unsolved homicide

There are 30 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Oct 30, 2008, titled Capitola police hope DNA tests will resolve city's oldest unsolved homicide. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Spurred on by a diligent retired cop, Capitola police are searching for fresh leads in the department's first homicide: the killing of Peter Mitchell 36 years ago.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
former resident

United States

#26 Oct 30, 2008
Wow the cop is still trying but he retired at 45? and he is still drawing retirement , healthcare , we the public should live like our employees.
peebody

San Francisco, CA

#27 Nov 6, 2008
I have lived all over santa cruz county and I can tell you the capitola police are by far the best police department in the county. They are quick to respond to 911 calls and are always professional. I have dealt with deputies in the county and they always seem to be grumpy and disinterested. I commend George for coming back and investigating that murder. Good luck.

Since: Aug 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#28 Nov 6, 2008
peebody wrote:
I have lived all over santa cruz county and I can tell you the capitola police are by far the best police department in the county. They are quick to respond to 911 calls and are always professional. I have dealt with deputies in the county and they always seem to be grumpy and disinterested. I commend George for coming back and investigating that murder. Good luck.
Are you joking? I called the Capitola P.D once when i was hit by a hit and run driver and and it took them 40 mins to get there,
The cop was not help full or sorry and told me that only two other cops are on duty in Capatola.
The best in the Country???? You must be a badge chaser on crack.
Or you have never even been to Copatola.
I think they are the worst police force in the entire world.
Really now

Oakland, CA

#29 Nov 7, 2008
peebody wrote:
Do you mean George Turegano, the formerly FIRED Capitola sergeant, and FIRED from the Cabrillo College Police force and ending up in disgrace at UCSC PD for the remainder of his career? I guess if he can solve this, it might redeem his past, no? Ha. Good luck.
Geez

Vallejo, CA

#30 Nov 7, 2008
First of all I disagree with you. As someone who doesn't work with the CPD but works closely with them, they are by far the superior agency of the county. Not to mention the friendliest and most willing to help their fellow officers/departments.

And yes, at times they do have only 2 officers working in the city...and I believe most everyone would agree that they would prefer their police force to, oh what do you call it?, prioritize their calls for service. So, if I was them in response to you, I would say "No, I am not sorry it took so long because I was handling a raging domestic... which trumps your cold hit and run." But that's just me.

Secondly, perhaps you should ride w them one night, when the village is busy and so is everywhere else. I think it would give you an appreciation of what they really deal with. Just a thought.
LiveOakLiving wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you joking? I called the Capitola P.D once when i was hit by a hit and run driver and and it took them 40 mins to get there,
The cop was not help full or sorry and told me that only two other cops are on duty in Capatola.
The best in the Country???? You must be a badge chaser on crack.
Or you have never even been to Copatola.
I think they are the worst police force in the entire world.
cabrillo employee

Menlo Park, CA

#31 Nov 14, 2008
As a former employee at Cabrillo I remember this guy and it's scary to me that he is still involved in any aspect of law enforcemnt. It's a metter of public record he was sued for descrimination in '94 and fired several years later over the incident re the black student. He was also fired bt Capitola P.D. prior to working for Cabrillo.
Lets set it straight wrote:
Wasn't George Turegano the same guy who was fired by CPD Chief Braunton, as opposed to retiring, as stated in the Sentinel? And it makes no mention of his tenure as a Cabrillo College Police officer, when it had its own police force. As an officer there, he was charged with misconduct and other charges when he arrested a Cabrillo football player for misusing a college credit card but did not arrest other players who were also allegedly involved. The one player he arrested (Reggie Stephens) was black, and the others were white. The charges against Stephens were dismissed later, and he was able to go on and play successfully in the NFL. Don't get me wrong, I am glad he is able to hold his head up with dignity and go back to volunteer for the CPD and work on an old case-- and I hope he solves it. I am sure most of the folks he once worked with at the time are now long gone.
Blast

Los Altos, CA

#32 Mar 26, 2009
Reply to: "Let's Get it Straight - Oakland,CA". George Turegano was never fired by Chief Don Braunton, nor was he charged by Cabrillo College for any misconduct. In the Cabrillo debacle George Turegano was cleared of any wrong doing and restored to duty. With George Turegano returning to Capitola Police Department should be testament that he was not fired. If you knew the facts, or had them straight you would not make unfounded accusations. But then again folks like you don't let truth get in the way. The killer in the 36 year old murder case has been identified, and the information will soon be announced. George Turegano not only holds his head up with dignity, he is an honorable and dedicated police professional.
Friends

San Mateo, CA

#33 Mar 31, 2009
To Cabrillo Employee. I don't believe you actually worked at Cabrillo College and your comments of about Sergeant Turegano are wrong. Friends of the campus police.
sarah boone

Kansas City, MO

#34 Apr 9, 2014
Really now wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you mean George Turegano, the formerly FIRED Capitola sergeant, and FIRED from the Cabrillo College Police force and ending up in disgrace at UCSC PD for the remainder of his career? I guess if he can solve this, it might redeem his past, no? Ha. Good luck.
you don't know shit! George Turegano never worked at UCSC.
sarah boone

Kansas City, MO

#35 Apr 9, 2014
cabrillo employee wrote:
As a former employee at Cabrillo I remember this guy and it's scary to me that he is still involved in any aspect of law enforcemnt. It's a metter of public record he was sued for descrimination in '94 and fired several years later over the incident re the black student. He was also fired bt Capitola P.D. prior to working for Cabrillo.
<quoted text>
The discrimination law suit was a joke George Turegano was not the arresting officer of football player reggie stevens! The cabrillo police officer that arrested reggie stevens was either the 6'5" black police officer or the scrawny white police officer. George Turegano should have never been named in that discrimination law suit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fla. deputies handcuff 7-foot gator near school (Sep '10) 8 hr Pharted They Did 10
News Pa. woman warned about gator finds pot lab instead (Jul '09) 8 hr She Pharted Hard 29
News Santa Cruz accuses ICE agents of 'betrayal' Sun Donny B 9
News Heroin Highway - Map of heroin traffic in Santa... (May '10) Sat Lucy21 37
News 2 NorCal brothel operators arrested in raids (Sep '10) Feb 21 tewpeigh 59
Discount Tickets - Monterey Bay Aquarium Feb 20 howefortunate 1
News Autopsy: Washington girl was strangled, stabbed (Mar '10) Feb 20 south side locos13 3

Santa Cruz Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Santa Cruz Mortgages