Capitola police hope DNA tests will r...

Capitola police hope DNA tests will resolve city's oldest unsolved homicide

There are 30 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Oct 30, 2008, titled Capitola police hope DNA tests will resolve city's oldest unsolved homicide. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Spurred on by a diligent retired cop, Capitola police are searching for fresh leads in the department's first homicide: the killing of Peter Mitchell 36 years ago.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Crack kills

Santa Cruz, CA

#1 Oct 30, 2008
Now A story where the work of good officer's dilligence, have not stoped even in retirement! So for all the people who critize thelaw enforcement, People like this should be honored not lumped into the frey of the bad law inforcement! Thank You for thework You are doing Georg we need more officer's like You in law enforcement!
scforever

Santa Cruz, CA

#2 Oct 30, 2008
I am confused on why this guy picked up hitch hikers and brought them back to his house. Kind of weird. By no means does it make his murder any less of a tragedy I just thought they could expand on that bit of information.
Incompetent

United States

#3 Oct 30, 2008
Crack kills wrote:
Now A story where the work of good officer's dilligence, have not stoped even in retirement! So for all the people who critize thelaw enforcement, People like this should be honored not lumped into the frey of the bad law inforcement! Thank You for thework You are doing Georg we need more officer's like You in law enforcement!
36 years later and they still have not caught the guy.
Sounds like they couldn't catch a cold if they tried. Maybe this guy should go fishing or something in his retirement. CPD a joke. Disneyland security is more competent than these guys.
sonshine

Santa Cruz, CA

#4 Oct 30, 2008
Go George, I always knew you were the best.

Since: Aug 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#5 Oct 30, 2008
Students are solving crimes like this now because of the New DNA, and finger print Tec.
sonshine

Santa Cruz, CA

#6 Oct 30, 2008
Incompetent wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like they couldn't catch a cold if they tried. Maybe this guy should go fishing or something in his retirement. CPD a joke. Disneyland security is more competent than these guys.
Politics and arrogance often shut good people down.Com ing back 30 yrs later to serve speaks of a his integity in spight of others. Police Dept was pretty messy in house at that time. Disneyland!!!!!!!!
Crack kills

Santa Cruz, CA

#7 Oct 30, 2008
Incompetent wrote:
<quoted text>
If someone did this to someone close to you that u loved would you rather they threw the case out years later or still have somebody still trying to find out who did it, we're not talking out where the 7 dwarves are at at Disneyland!
Lets set it straight

United States

#8 Oct 30, 2008
Wasn't George Turegano the same guy who was fired by CPD Chief Braunton, as opposed to retiring, as stated in the Sentinel? And it makes no mention of his tenure as a Cabrillo College Police officer, when it had its own police force. As an officer there, he was charged with misconduct and other charges when he arrested a Cabrillo football player for misusing a college credit card but did not arrest other players who were also allegedly involved. The one player he arrested (Reggie Stephens) was black, and the others were white. The charges against Stephens were dismissed later, and he was able to go on and play successfully in the NFL. Don't get me wrong, I am glad he is able to hold his head up with dignity and go back to volunteer for the CPD and work on an old case-- and I hope he solves it. I am sure most of the folks he once worked with at the time are now long gone.
ru real

Santa Cruz, CA

#9 Oct 30, 2008
they should get that young woman from Watsonville that solved the San Francisco case to help out!
The Truth

San Francisco, CA

#10 Oct 30, 2008
Incompetent,
Sounds like you may have been on the short end of one of those incompetent investigations.
Juan

Saratoga, CA

#11 Oct 30, 2008
scforever wrote:
I am confused on why this guy picked up hitch hikers and brought them back to his house. Kind of weird. By no means does it make his murder any less of a tragedy I just thought they could expand on that bit of information.
Ummm....

"Nude and bloody, Mitchell stumbled outside and collapsed next to the patrol car"

"...attacker -- thought to be a young hitchhiker Mitchell had picked up the previous afternoon"

This is pure speculation...

Could be that the victim enjoyed the "company" of young men and the attacker might have been offended by his advances.
scforever

Santa Cruz, CA

#12 Oct 30, 2008
Juan wrote:
<quoted text>
Ummm....
"Nude and bloody, Mitchell stumbled outside and collapsed next to the patrol car"
"...attacker -- thought to be a young hitchhiker Mitchell had picked up the previous afternoon"
This is pure speculation...
Could be that the victim enjoyed the "company" of young men and the attacker might have been offended by his advances.
Thats what I thought- I just didn't want to say it.
Melba

Santa Cruz, CA

#13 Oct 30, 2008
If you want to solve a crime from the past, then all the facts should be put out. It's those little things that trigger someone's thoughts... if he did enjoy the company of young hitchikers, then maybe someone else who also enjoyed the same activities might recall a scary incident in their past that would help solve this.
CPD Sucks

San Francisco, CA

#19 Oct 30, 2008
Maybe the Zodiac did it..
Wierd

United States

#20 Oct 30, 2008
Peter lived in a house on Riverview Ave. His was ,I believe at the time, only the second homicide in Capitola's history since becoming a city in 1949. Oddly, some years later there was a multiple homicide in the same house - 2 kids and their mother murdered by the estranged husband, who also killed himself. The majority of Capitola murders have occurred in this one house. Some bad juju in that place...
you are right

United States

#21 Oct 30, 2008
Wierd wrote:
Peter lived in a house on Riverview Ave. His was ,I believe at the time, only the second homicide in Capitola's history since becoming a city in 1949. Oddly, some years later there was a multiple homicide in the same house - 2 kids and their mother murdered by the estranged husband, who also killed himself. The majority of Capitola murders have occurred in this one house. Some bad juju in that place...
Yes, you are right about that...when I started to read this article I thought it was about that murder/suicide. That case was in or about 1981.. the 305 Riverview case. I had no idea about the earlier case in 1972. I walk by that house all the time and think about that family. The house is all remodeled and fixed up, but still...that's some bad karma there.
John Lloyd Scharf

Salem, OR

#22 Oct 30, 2008

Not all DNA tests are created equal.

I would like to know how the DNA sample(s) in this case were tested. Were they a CODIS/ autosomal test? YDNA test? Or mtDNA test? How many markers were used? If a mtDNA test was done, was a full genome sequencing done?

Is it a CODIS test? The CODIS system has been tested and there are perfect matches within the database of different persons.

Is it a mitochondrial DNA test which matches everyone who descended from the same maternal ancestor as THE DEFENDENT(S)?

Is it a Y Chromosome test which matches everyone who has the same paternal lineage for the past 400 years?

There may be a way to combine all of these that will resolve the identity to one person, but is what they have beyond a reasonable doubt?
sonshine

Santa Cruz, CA

#23 Oct 30, 2008
Lets set it straight wrote:
Wasn't George Turegano the same guy who was fired by CPD Chief Braunton, as opposed to retiring, as stated in the Sentinel? And it makes no mention of his tenure as a Cabrillo College Police officer, when it had its own police force. As an officer there, he was charged with misconduct and other charges when he arrested a Cabrillo football player for misusing a college credit card but did not arrest other players who were also allegedly involved. The one player he arrested (Reggie Stephens) was black, and the others were white. The charges against Stephens were dismissed later, and he was able to go on and play successfully in the NFL. Don't get me wrong, I am glad he is able to hold his head up with dignity and go back to volunteer for the CPD and work on an old case-- and I hope he solves it. I am sure most of the folks he once worked with at the time are now long gone.
That was the part you want to believe and state. What started the problem and what is all of the truth? I think you know there is more to the story so don't patronize us or him with you are glad he can hold his head up with diginity. Your eyes are fresh brown.
Lets get it straight

United States

#24 Oct 30, 2008
sonshine wrote:
<quoted text>
That was the part you want to believe and state. What started the problem and what is all of the truth? I think you know there is more to the story so don't patronize us or him with you are glad he can hold his head up with diginity. Your eyes are fresh brown.
Well, these stories were widely reported in the Sentinel when they happened. If you dispute the Sentinel as a news source, I might point out that you too are reading and using the blog. If there is more to the story, then do us all a favor and let us know what the REAL story is. You might want to work on your sentence structure too. Your statements sound like something from Zippy the Pinhead ("Your eyes are fresh brown.") Huh?
THe Informer

San Jose, CA

#25 Oct 30, 2008
For all the cop haters.

Go to the front door of a police department and spew your crap, see what happens.

Those few people who think police are a joke need a good spanking.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pair arrested in downtown Santa Cruz for spray ... 9 hr Paul Mendoza 8
WooF Stalks John Colby on FB (Jul '13) 15 hr Paul Mendoza 9
Pair of Morons arrested for Vandalism of sidewa... 17 hr Paul Mendoza 7
What has Robert Norse done for the homeless? (Dec '12) Wed The Truth Hurts 20
News City Council Meeting (Jul '14) Tue OK GO 139
Take back Santa Cruz from TBSC Tue Talia 15
News Santa Cruz mother, son arrested in Capitola hom... (Nov '13) Aug 25 Donny B 7
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Santa Cruz Mortgages