Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
196,041 - 196,060 of 200,366 Comments Last updated 5 hrs ago
IceCobb

San Dimas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2013

Never, never land #226821
Cali Girl 13

Reseda, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2013

kaitlyn wrote:
<quoted text>I don't understand "tard-speak". What are you trying to say?
No one is addressing you MYOB then!
IceCobb

San Dimas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2013

IceCobb needs no numbers #226823

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2013

Cali Girl 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
Never posted this
Liar.
Cali Girl 13

Reseda, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2013

guest wrote:
<quoted text>Liar.
You are the one posting nasty stuff
in my name probably.Check the
locations dummy!

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2013

Judged:

The 10 Most Important Legal Changes to LGBT Rights in 2013

Same-sex marriage is now legal in 16 states. The first male professional athlete in major sports came out last May. The Supreme Court rejected part of the Defense of Marriage Act, clearing the way for same-sex marriages to resume in California—and all this happened against a backdrop of more than half of Americans saying they would support a law legalizing gay marriage in all 50 states.

That's not to say that these milestones mark the end of anti-gay discrimination—29 states have yet to legalize same-sex marriage—but the changes have been a long time coming.

Here, we look back at the top 10 moments that made this the "gayest year in gay history."

1. State by State, Equality Grows
States took the lead on marriage equality rights this year. Maryland started handing out marriage licenses in January, when the state's same-sex marriage law went into effect. Rhode Island, Delaware, Minnesota, New Jersey, Hawaii, and Illinois also legalized gay marriage in 2013.

2. June Weddings
In June the Supreme Court struck down a key provision of DOMA, paving the path to resume gay marriages in California. The nation’s highest court said it couldn’t rule on the constitutionality of Proposition 8 because California officials failed to defend the law after it was overturned in an appeals court.

3. Retirement With Dignity
When the Supreme Court justices took on DOMA, they also granted the president the power to recognize same-sex unions for federal benefits. Until then, Social Security, pension, and other federal provisions didn’t apply to legally married same-sex couples.

4. Death and Taxes
The U.S. Treasury Department ruled that married gay couples would be treated the same as married straight couples for tax purposes—even if the state they lived in didn't recognize their marriage.

5. Destined for Love

A June Pew Research Center poll found that more than 70 percent of Americans saw legal recognition of same-sex marriage as "inevitable," despite their feelings on the matter.

6. Baby Steps Away From Hate
Colorado’s Democrat-heavy legislature legalized civil unions in March, following years of vitriol and debate over the issue. Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper signed the bill into law that same month, bringing a change to what was once known as “the hate state.”

7. Civil Disobedience for Love
Marriage is still defined as a union between a man and a woman in North Carolina, but a state official accepted 12 marriage applications from same-sex couples anyway in hopes of sparking a challenge to the wedding ban.

8. The Leader of the Free World Approves of Equal Rights
President Obama became the first sitting president to announce his support of same-sex marriage.

"At a certain point I've just concluded that for me, personally, it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married," he told "ABC News."

9. America's Top Military Brass Approves Too
Nine states have used their gay-marriage bans as a reason to refuse military IDs and federal benefits to same-sex spouses of military members since September. That month Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel let out a stream of rare invective, deeming the states' actions a violation of federal law.

The Pentagon leader called on them to resolve the issue, asking National Guard Bureau Gen. Frank Grass to meet with the administrators from the noncompliant states: Texas, Indiana, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and West Virginia.

10. And American Legislators Approve, Except for the House...
The U.S. Senate approved the Employee Non-Discrimination Act in November, prohibiting workplace discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity. The House of Representatives has yet to pass ENDA, and some advocacy groups have called on President Obama to issue an executive order to end such workplace discrimination.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2013

Judged:

guest wrote:
The 10 Most Important Legal Changes to LGBT Rights in 2013
Same-sex marriage is now legal in 16 states. The first male professional athlete in major sports...
1. State by State, Equality Grows
States took the lead on marriage equality rights this year. Maryland started handing out marriage licenses in January, when the state's same-sex marriage law went into effect. Rhode Island, Delaware, Minnesota, New Jersey, Hawaii, and Illinois also legalized gay marriage in 2013.
2. June Weddings
In June the Supreme Court struck down a key provision of DOMA, paving the path to resume gay marriages in California. The nation’s highest court said it couldn’t rule on the constitutionality of Proposition 8 because California officials failed to defend the law after it was overturned in an appeals court.
3. Retirement With Dignity
When the Supreme Court justices took on DOMA, they also granted the president the power to recognize same-sex unions for federal benefits. Until then, Social Security, pension, and other federal provisions didn’t apply to legally married same-sex couples.
4. Death and Taxes
The U.S. Treasury Department ruled that married gay couples would be treated the same as married straight couples for tax purposes—even if the state they lived in didn't recognize their marriage.
5. Destined for Love
A June Pew Research Center poll found that more than 70 percent of Americans saw legal recognition of same-sex marriage as "inevitable," despite their feelings on the matter.
6. Baby Steps Away From Hate
Colorado’s Democrat-heavy legislature legalized civil unions in March, following years of vitriol and debate over the issue. Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper signed the bill into law that same month, bringing a change to what was once known as “the hate state.”
7. Civil Disobedience for Love
Marriage is still defined as a union between a man and a woman in North Carolina, but a state official accepted 12 marriage applications from same-sex couples anyway in hopes of sparking a challenge to the wedding ban.
8. The Leader of the Free World Approves of Equal Rights
President Obama became the first sitting president to announce his support of same-sex marriage.
"At a certain point I've just concluded that for me, personally, it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married," he told "ABC News."
9. America's Top Military Brass Approves Too
Nine states have used their gay-marriage bans as a reason to refuse military IDs and federal benefits to same-sex spouses of military members since September. That month Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel let out a stream of rare invective, deeming the states' actions a violation of federal law.
The Pentagon leader called on them to resolve the issue, asking National Guard Bureau Gen. Frank Grass to meet with the administrators from the noncompliant states: Texas, Indiana, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and West Virginia.
10. And American Legislators Approve, Except for the House...
The U.S. Senate approved the Employee Non-Discrimination Act in November, prohibiting workplace discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity. The House of Representatives has yet to pass ENDA, and some advocacy groups have called on President Obama to issue an executive order to end such workplace discrimination.
And yet, ss couples are only ever mutually sterile, pointlessly duplicate gendered halves of marriage...
IceCobb

San Dimas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2013

Judged:

What a week o far, IceCobb #226831
Poof

Cambridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2013

Judged:

Cali Girl 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one posting nasty stuff
in my name probably.Check the
locations dummy!
Sup Hobag
Cali Girl 13

Reseda, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2013

Judged:

Poof wrote:
<quoted text>Sup Hobag
Never heard a grandpa say Sup!
I had a great Christmas with my
wonderful family, and you?
Cali Girl 13

Reseda, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2013

Judged:

Poof wrote:
<quoted text>Sup Hobag
It doesn't bother me that you called
me a Hobag,that just reflects on you.
Poof

Cambridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2013

Judged:

Cali Girl 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
Never heard a grandpa say Sup!
I had a great Christmas with my
wonderful family, and you?
Frankie, you have no family, your old lady shat canned you long ago
Cali Girl 13

Reseda, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2013

Judged:

Poof wrote:
<quoted text>Frankie, you have no family, your old lady shat canned you long ago
Ah but we both know I'm not Frankie
and you know nothing about me or
my life.Carry on though if it makes
you feel better! I'm better than you.
Poof

Cambridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2013

Judged:

Cali Girl 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
F off.
Me and my three vibrators and set of Ben Wa balls had a wonderful time. I also made 23 dollars behind the 7-11 blowing a few dudes.
Dang Frankie, how many guys did it take to earn the cash?
Cali Girl 13

Reseda, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2013

Cali Girl 13 wrote:
<quoted text>F off.
Me and my three vibrators and set of Ben Wa balls had a wonderful time. I also made 23 dollars behind the 7-11 blowing a few dudes.
OK fake coward,post under my
moniker,make yourself look stupid!
But get reported every time.Glad
you are such a wonderful person.
You have a good day cyber bully!
Cali Girl 13

Reseda, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2013

Poof wrote:
<quoted text>Dang Frankie, how many guys did it take to earn the cash?
You posted this to me by mistake,
maybe some glasses will help,I
Hope so!
Cali Girl 13

Reseda, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2013

Poof wrote:
<quoted text>Dang Frankie, how many guys did it take to earn the cash?
Oh ya,oops forgot to tell you...If you
answer any threads that are sexual
in nature to me or about me,you will
be reported as well.Thanks for telling
me about TM 21, that was very very
helpful...Have a good day!
Cali Girl 13

Reseda, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2013

Poof wrote:
<quoted text>Me and my three vibrators and set of Ben Wa balls had a wonderful time???
Dang Frankie, thats kinda sick
REPORTED
Poof

Cambridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2013

Cali Girl 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh ya,oops forgot to tell you...If you
answer any threads that are sexual
in nature to me or about me,you will
be reported as well.Thanks for telling
me about TM 21, that was very very
helpful...Have a good day!
Sweet Jebus Frankie, you post about sexual nature all the time. What are ya a hypocrite?
Poof

Cambridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2013

Judged:

Cali Girl 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
REPORTED
Reported??

Frankie this is what you posted
"Me and my three vibrators and set of Ben Wa balls had a wonderful time"

WTF are you a full on TARD?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

16 Users are viewing the Santa Cruz Forum right now

Search the Santa Cruz Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
DBS is still insulting Aaron Whiting & Whitings... 9 min Analicia C 1
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 13 min Nom Nom Nom 7,854
Is DBS a Good Employee? (Jul '12) 16 min Analicia C 158
Archive for bigot posts by Donny B (Dec '13) 19 min Analicia C 165
Does Aaron Whiting have a trust fund? 25 min Hive Loons Abound 276
Caught "Donny B" Lying again 27 min Donny B Lying Again 12
Archive for Jim Spring posts (Dec '13) 34 min Parrot Hive 700
•••
•••