Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,188

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#222842 Oct 29, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
There is little question in my mind that life exists elsewhere, there is zero credible evidence that intelligent life have ever been here ( form elsewhere anyway )
This is one of the first questions 4th grade school children have when I do an astronomy demonstration for them.
Do you show the kids your great big telescope?
Big D

Modesto, CA

#222843 Oct 29, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Worse than that, I have friends that join me show theirs as well.

The kids ran away screaming for their parents... who also wanted to see.

it is funny, if we get one kid, in 15 minutes we have a neighborhood full of kids and their parents taking a look.

For all the cool stuff I could show them, Saturn and Jupiter always steal the show.

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

#222844 Oct 29, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>Worse than that, I have friends that join me show theirs as well.

The kids ran away screaming for their parents... who also wanted to see.

it is funny, if we get one kid, in 15 minutes we have a neighborhood full of kids and their parents taking a look.

For all the cool stuff I could show them, Saturn and Jupiter always steal the show.
Love astronomy !!!! When we go
camping in Santa Barbara,some
nice folks with telescopes set up
for all the kids....Saturn does steal
the show! We were able to see the
ISP without a telescope,as the
astronomers pointed it out!!!
Big D

Modesto, CA

#222845 Oct 29, 2013
Cali Girl 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
Love astronomy !!!! When we go
camping in Santa Barbara,some
nice folks with telescopes set up
for all the kids....Saturn does steal
the show! We were able to see the
ISP without a telescope,as the
astronomers pointed it out!!!
One time ( years ago ) I was there with the Santa Barbara group, nice people.

Yeah. it is a gawkers hobby :)

No matter how many times you see something, you never tire of it.

I am a Nebula hound, my wife loves locating galaxies

But when the kids come out ( usually in light polluted areas ) we stick to planets, the moon, maybe a globular cluster or a bright nebula.

It usually leads into questions about the speed of light, and time, every time you look at anything, you are looking backwards in time. The Moon is a few seconds, the Sun 8 minutes, we are seeing it as it was 8 minutes ago. The further away you look the further back in time you are looking.

Naked eye you can ( if you know exactly where to look ) see the center of the Andromeda Galaxy, and back in time 2.2 million years.

With the aid of a small telescope into the tens and hundreds of millions of years, seeing more distant galaxies that are further away.
Our WM

Azusa, CA

#222846 Oct 29, 2013
OUR Wal-Mart, a group of current and former workers that have been staging protests at its stores, held a press conference in Washington, to pressure the discounter to pay all of its full-time workers at least $25,000 a year.

It's planning another round of protests at its stores on the day after Thanksgiving, the traditional kickoff for the holiday shopping season.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#222847 Oct 29, 2013
correction...the moon is around 1.2 light seconds ( I dont know how I always say that wrong, not the first time )

It is like seeing a person use a hammer far away, the sight of it gets to you faster than the sound.

But the light also takes time, just over 186,282 miles a second.

The sun is

Location hidden

#222848 Oct 29, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>One time ( years ago ) I was there with the Santa Barbara group, nice people.

Yeah. it is a gawkers hobby :)

No matter how many times you see something, you never tire of it.

I am a Nebula hound, my wife loves locating galaxies

But when the kids come out ( usually in light polluted areas ) we stick to planets, the moon, maybe a globular cluster or a bright nebula.

It usually leads into questions about the speed of light, and time, every time you look at anything, you are looking backwards in time. The Moon is a few seconds, the Sun 8 minutes, we are seeing it as it was 8 minutes ago. The further away you look the further back in time you are looking.

Naked eye you can ( if you know exactly where to look ) see the center of the Andromeda Galaxy, and back in time 2.2 million years.

With the aid of a small telescope into the tens and hundreds of millions of years, seeing more distant galaxies that are further away.
Yes,we are going back to SB in Nov,
I hope the group is there again as
well.You are right,you can never get
tired of seeing the amazing sky!
That's cool that you can see ancient
galaxies,I didn't know that was
possible......
Big D

Modesto, CA

#222849 Oct 29, 2013
Cali Girl 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes,we are going back to SB in Nov,
I hope the group is there again as
well.You are right,you can never get
tired of seeing the amazing sky!
That's cool that you can see ancient
galaxies,I didn't know that was
possible......
Not my group, I am involved in a group in northern California

but I was down south once and hooked up with the SB group, they were really nice people.

It isn’t that they are ancient ( well they are, you aren’t wrong ) it is that it took hundreds of millions of years for the light to get where they were, to hit our eyes now. They could have blown up millions of years ago, and we wouldn’t t know it yet.( not likely ) as we are seeing them as they were millions upon millions of years ago.

Even the Moon when you look at the moon you are seeing it how it was 1.2 second ago.

When you see the sun, you are seeing how it was 8 minutes ago.

It is true of everything, even looking across the street you are seeing back in time... but only by split nanoseconds, so close to “now” you would never know the difference.

The closet star is over 4 light years away, we see the light it generated over 4 years ago.

Location hidden

#222850 Oct 29, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>Not my group, I am involved in a group in northern California

but I was down south once and hooked up with the SB group, they were really nice people.

It isnÂ’t that they are ancient ( well they are, you arenÂ’t wrong ) it is that it took hundreds of millions of years for the light to get where they were, to hit our eyes now. They could have blown up millions of years ago, and we wouldnÂ’t t know it yet.( not likely ) as we are seeing them as they were millions upon millions of years ago.

Even the Moon when you look at the moon you are seeing it how it was 1.2 second ago.

When you see the sun, you are seeing how it was 8 minutes ago.

It is true of everything, even looking across the street you are seeing back in time... but only by split nanoseconds, so close to “now” you would never know the difference.

The closet star is over 4 light years away, we see the light it generated over 4 years ago.
That's amazing to me....

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#222851 Oct 29, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
If Big D was real nice, and said please, he just might get an invite to the Vatican observatory.

http://www.vaticanobservatory.org/index.php/e...
In its historical roots and traditions the Vatican Observatory is one of the oldest astronomical institutes in the world. For the first foreshadowing of the Observatory can be traced to the constitution by Pope Gregory XIII of a committee to study the scientific data and implications involved in the reform of the calendar which occurred in 1582. The committee included Father Christoph Clavius, a Jesuit mathematician from the Roman College, who expounded and explained the reform. From that time and with some degree of continuity the Papacy has manifested an interest in and support for astronomical research. In fact, three early observatories were founded by the Papacy: the Observatory of the Roman College (1774-1878)(illustrated), the Observatory of the Capitol (1827-1870), and the Specula Vaticana (1789-1821) in the Tower of the Winds within the Vatican. These early traditions of the Observatory reached their climax in the mid-nineteenth century with the researches at the Roman College of the famous Jesuit, Father Angelo Secchi, the first to classify stars according to their spectra. With these rich traditions as a basis and in order to counteract the longstanding accusations of a hostility of the Church towards science, Pope Leo XIII in 1891 formally refounded the Specola Vaticana (Vatican Observatory) and located it on a hillside behind the dome of St. Peter's Basilica.

Several religious orders contributed personnel and directors to the Observatory. These included Barnabites, Oratorians, Augustinians, and Jesuits.

For a little more than four decades astronomical research, which included a prominent international program to map the whole sky, was carried out in the shadow of St. Peter's, but it eventually became obvious that the urban growth of the Eternal City was brightening the sky to such an extent that the fainter stars could no longer be studied.

Thus it was that Pope Pius XI provided a new location for the Observatory at the Papal Summer Residence at Castel Gandolfo [ illustrated ] in the Alban Hills some 25 kilometers southeast of Rome.

Father Angelo Secchi in the foreground is surrounded by (from leftbackground to right foreground) Pope Gregory XIII, Pope Leo XIII, and Pope Pius XI. Painting by Fantini.
It is here that the modern observatory, entrusted to the Jesuits, was refounded in the 1930s with the construction of two new telescopes, the installation of an astrophysical laboratory for spectrochemical analysis, and the expansion of several important research programs on variable stars. With the installation of a Schmidt wide-angle telescope in 1957 research was extended to other topics such as new techniques for the classification of stars according to their spectra. This is still an active program at the observatory and recalls the pioneering work of Angelo Secchi.

Location hidden

#222852 Oct 29, 2013
Big D wrote:
correction...the moon is around 1.2 light seconds ( I dont know how I always say that wrong, not the first time )

It is like seeing a person use a hammer far away, the sight of it gets to you faster than the sound.

But the light also takes time, just over 186,282 miles a second.

The sun is
Kind of like lightning and thunder!!
Number 9

Azusa, CA

#222853 Oct 29, 2013
Are thee really that many idiots who post their nasty filth on this site?
Big D

Modesto, CA

#222854 Oct 29, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
If Big D was real nice, and said please, he just might get an invite to the Vatican observatory.
In its historical roots and traditions the Vatican Observatory is one of the oldest astronomical institutes in the world. For the first foreshadowing of the Observatory can be traced to the constitution by Pope Gregory XIII of a committee to study the scientific data and implications involved in the reform of the calendar which occurred in 1582. The committee included Father Christoph Clavius, a Jesuit mathematician from the Roman College, who expounded and explained the reform. From that time and with some degree of continuity the Papacy has manifested an interest in and support for astronomical research. In fact, three early observatories were founded by the Papacy: the Observatory of the Roman College (1774-1878)(illustrated), the Observatory of the Capitol (1827-1870), and the Specula Vaticana (1789-1821) in the Tower of the Winds within the Vatican. These early traditions of the Observatory reached their climax in the mid-nineteenth century with the researches at the Roman College of the famous Jesuit, Father Angelo Secchi, the first to classify stars according to their spectra. With these rich traditions as a basis and in order to counteract the longstanding accusations of a hostility of the Church towards science, Pope Leo XIII in 1891 formally refounded the Specola Vaticana (Vatican Observatory) and located it on a hillside behind the dome of St. Peter's Basilica.
Several religious orders contributed personnel and directors to the Observatory. These included Barnabites, Oratorians, Augustinians, and Jesuits.
For a little more than four decades astronomical research, which included a prominent international program to map the whole sky, was carried out in the shadow of St. Peter's, but it eventually became obvious that the urban growth of the Eternal City was brightening the sky to such an extent that the fainter stars could no longer be studied.
Thus it was that Pope Pius XI provided a new location for the Observatory at the Papal Summer Residence at Castel Gandolfo [ illustrated ] in the Alban Hills some 25 kilometers southeast of Rome.
Father Angelo Secchi in the foreground is surrounded by (from leftbackground to right foreground) Pope Gregory XIII, Pope Leo XIII, and Pope Pius XI. Painting by Fantini.
It is here that the modern observatory, entrusted to the Jesuits, was refounded in the 1930s with the construction of two new telescopes, the installation of an astrophysical laboratory for spectrochemical analysis, and the expansion of several important research programs on variable stars. With the installation of a Schmidt wide-angle telescope in 1957 research was extended to other topics such as new techniques for the classification of stars according to their spectra. This is still an active program at the observatory and recalls the pioneering work of Angelo Secchi.
They have a very interesting telescope, not what you would call a normal one, really fast ( F stop )

Interesting to note the that one of the primary Originators of the expansion theories ( now called big bang ) was a Catholic Priest, proving that a moment of creation did happen as opposed to the steady state theory.

He turned out to be correct.

There was an instant of creation some 13 billion years ago.

The earth is a youngster compared to the universe, we are a second, possibly third generation system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lema%C3%...

Location hidden

#222855 Oct 29, 2013
Number 9 wrote:
Are thee really that many idiots who post their nasty filth on this site?
What nasty filth?
Do you know why 6 was mad?
Because 7, 8 9.......

Location hidden

#222856 Oct 29, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>They have a very interesting telescope, not what you would call a normal one, really fast ( F stop )

Interesting to note the that one of the primary Originators of the expansion theories ( now called big bang ) was a Catholic Priest, proving that a moment of creation did happen as opposed to the steady state theory.

The earth is a youngster compared to the universe, we are a second, possibly third generation system

Very interesting!
dO nATTOR

Azusa, CA

#222857 Oct 29, 2013
Just ask for donations, they will give it to you?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#222858 Oct 29, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
They have a very interesting telescope, not what you would call a normal one, really fast ( F stop )
When I bring up poly MARRIAGE but you loudly complain it is off topic.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#222859 Oct 29, 2013
Cali Girl 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
Very interesting!
It is, surprised me to when I first learned that.

Einstein was arguing against him, but Einstein was wrong, and Lemaitre correct.

As I understood it, he lived just long enough ( like days before he died ) to learn that he was confirmed as correct.
Stop gap B ole S

Azusa, CA

#222860 Oct 29, 2013
October 29, 2013..

Glendora, California Officials Provide Water Conservation Update October 24, 2013 meeting?

What a baloney meeting that was, what wasn't told to the public was "a 7 year water conservation abuser" that the Chris Jeffers of the Glendora city hall has allowed to break the water conservation laws of the city of Glendora, California

So for anyone who has been threaten by a water conservation person of Rafael Perez can just tell them to stuff that tickets or warning notices back where the sun don't shine.

More lies coming from Glendora city hall. BS department.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#222861 Oct 29, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Religious telescope BAD!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jim Spring is stalking Pastor Weller 4 min TBSC Loons 98
Parents Group Voting 20 min Butch 8
SV Teacher "Buzz" still stalking topix users (Jan '14) 52 min John Colby 605
Take Back Santa Cruz/Greiner Archive (Sep '13) 55 min John Colby 740
On the 5th day of X-mas (DBS version) (Dec '13) 1 hr Donny B 31
ColbySTALKER getting Whacked on the Sentinel BI... 2 hr DBS 12
Lifestyles Real Estate sued by investors who lo... (Oct '10) 2 hr Scammed 48

Beach Hazards Statement for Santa Cruz County was issued at October 20 at 2:09PM PDT

Santa Cruz Dating
Find my Match

Santa Cruz Jobs

Santa Cruz People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Santa Cruz News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Santa Cruz

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]