Santa Cruz hydroponics store robbed a...

Santa Cruz hydroponics store robbed at gunpoint

There are 22 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Jul 25, 2008, titled Santa Cruz hydroponics store robbed at gunpoint. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Two armed men robbed California Hydroponics this afternoon, the Sheriff's Office reported.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
sockmonkey

Lake Hughes, CA

#1 Jul 25, 2008
...round up all the men in skull caps!!!!!!
oh jesus

Ben Lomond, CA

#2 Jul 25, 2008
must be the mexican cartels, stealing grow supplies for their 10,000 plant operation.
logicescapesyou

Santa Cruz, CA

#3 Jul 25, 2008
This is scary stuff both for the people involved & the community. The brazen robbers did this in the middle of the day in full daylight in a busy area (right where the off ramp to Dominican hospital is) with guns. I hope they catch them.
Counterstrike

Livermore, CA

#4 Jul 25, 2008
That is one very good reason I do not carry cash in Santa Cruz; it just makes so much more sense to set up direct deposit and use plastic. How sad businesses have to put up with mindless customers like this.
Well

Sacramento, CA

#5 Jul 25, 2008
Counterstrike wrote:
That is one very good reason I do not carry cash in Santa Cruz; it just makes so much more sense to set up direct deposit and use plastic. How sad businesses have to put up with mindless customers like this.
Generally, the folks who make the largest purchases at hydroponics stores use cash. Because, well, duh.
No DEA Stakeout

Alviso, CA

#7 Jul 25, 2008
Wasn't there a Sentinel story some years ago that DEA agents were staking out the Hydroponics store and following customers home? Guess this is a sign they aren't bothering anymore.

I agree with "logicescapesyou", though. Armed robbery in the middle of the day in a busy area is a sign that things are in a steep decline around here.

There are always people who want to make jokes about others's troubles (i.e., the first two posts here). It will come back to them eventually.
oh jesus

Ben Lomond, CA

#8 Jul 25, 2008
I have enough good karma to last me two lifetimes. And the hydro store has enough insurance to cover everything stolen.
john doe

Berkeley, CA

#9 Jul 25, 2008
No DEA Stakeout wrote:
Wasn't there a Sentinel story some years ago that DEA agents were staking out the Hydroponics store and following customers home? Guess this is a sign they aren't bothering anymore.
Stakeout yes; but it was the county sheriff's CNET team and not the feds. Drug dealers are more likely to use a wad of cash because credit/debit card transactions can be traced to their doorsteps. I don't carry a lot of money either because our PC police police aren't gonna stop this gang BS without upsetting our ruling elites and a corrupt foreign government...
Kit Pattle

Brisbane, CA

#10 Jul 25, 2008
Making comments about how one feels never comes back to them and should not. It is simply opinion. Bad deeds and bad behavior toward others does however deservedly come back around. Grow Shops are a sorry excuse for a business especially in a Mediterranean climate where one can grow gardens outside year around.(Read - Salinas, Watsonville, Northcoast offer the best farm land in the Country) So who supports these businesses and why? Dope growers of course. The proprietors and customers of grow shops support illegal behavior so it is no wonder they are sometimes targets of armed robbery. Not one of my gardening friends has ever considered the purchase of indoor growing equipment, ever. But then again they grow fruits and vegetables, not dope.
Lucas

AOL

#11 Jul 25, 2008
Kit Pattle wrote:
Making comments about how one feels never comes back to them and should not. It is simply opinion. Bad deeds and bad behavior toward others does however deservedly come back around. Grow Shops are a sorry excuse for a business especially in a Mediterranean climate where one can grow gardens outside year around.(Read - Salinas, Watsonville, Northcoast offer the best farm land in the Country) So who supports these businesses and why? Dope growers of course. The proprietors and customers of grow shops support illegal behavior so it is no wonder they are sometimes targets of armed robbery. Not one of my gardening friends has ever considered the purchase of indoor growing equipment, ever. But then again they grow fruits and vegetables, not dope.
Some people like to smoke dope and they don't want to pay $400 a bag. If you got a problem with that you live in the wrong county.
Rons legacy

Vineburg, CA

#12 Jul 25, 2008
Dope will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you throught times of no dope :)
Kit Pattle

Atherton, CA

#13 Jul 25, 2008
Lucas if you like to smoke dope fine. Do it in private and don't bs some MD into giving you a bogus med ID card so you can pretend it is legal since you suffer from some bogus ailment. You burn, tremendous, but don't go parade around blatantly with a joint in your mouth on whoopdie doo "420" day. Be discrete. It is the mouths that i have a problem with. If a gay man wants to be a gay man, super, but I don't need to see him butt roosting his man-bride at Laguna's in celebration of their marriage. Be humble, be discrete, and you will rarely invite negative publicity to your personal preferences.
Lucas

AOL

#15 Jul 26, 2008
Kit Pattle, I couldn't agree more. I see nothing wrong with burning in private but I do have a problem with doing it in public. It sets a bad example for kids. Kids need to develop and get an education before they are exposed to any drugs.
RobtA

Redwood City, CA

#19 Jul 26, 2008
I thought there was supposed to be a lot of profit in raising wacky terbacky. You'd think that the customers would leave a tip, instead of robbing the place. Maybe it's not as profitable as people supposed?
cynic

Sunnyvale, CA

#21 Jul 26, 2008
That was an inside job...you can tell. why rob the hydroponics store when there are 7-11s, gas stations, and other stores nearby. Interesting that the workers didn't see how they fled....they probably watched them walk in....the whole thing seems fishy to me....
Panama Red

United States

#22 Jul 26, 2008
Wooaaahhhh, dude, that's really messed up. I mean, like, who would want to do that to some humble weed farmer supply store, anyway? That's just totally bogus, man. Especially when they are too baked to react, and then they have to like ponder the significance of this development for awhile whether or not to call the cops, and get all paranoid. When I strike a tuning fork on my elbow, I can hear it resonate in the central core of my skull. I'm really hungry now. Anyone got munchies?
Hydra

San Jose, CA

#23 Jul 26, 2008
cynic wrote:
That was an inside job...you can tell. why rob the hydroponics store when there are 7-11s, gas stations, and other stores nearby. Interesting that the workers didn't see how they fled....they probably watched them walk in....the whole thing seems fishy to me....
Did they use water guns?

Since: Jul 08

Mount Hermon

#24 Jul 26, 2008
Kit Pattle wrote:
That's the most ridiculous excuse to justify robbing a legitimate store that I have ever heard of. The chemicals to make methamphetamine can be purchased at any drugstore and hardware store. So, I suppose they deserve to be robbed too?
You do realize that some produce you have probably purchased is grown hydroponically?
someones mother

Fresno, CA

#25 Jul 28, 2008
Kit Pattle and Cynic you both need to grow up. Do some research on this incident before you post. Most organic foods are grown using hydroponics, and yes I do realize that it is also used for growing pot. Did we not vote to legalize growing pot for medicinal reasons? And yes some may find a way to get a medical card for bogus reasons, but are you going to deny, the person who is in their own living hell of constant pain, the only drug that will relieve their pain? As for it being an inside job..are you serious? Put yourself in the customers and employees shoes.Looking down the barrel of a loaded gun, having to strip and being placed in a back room all along not knowing whether or not this may be your last day. All because some low life coward can't get off their a** and become a productive member of society by working and contributing to the economy. It's bleeding hearts like you who condone, or at the least make excuses, for criminals. At least until it happens to you. Maybe you should spend your time in front of the liquor store preaching to the drunks about to get back into their car, oh wait alcohol is legal!!!
loretta

Alamo, CA

#26 Jul 30, 2008
why are there so many godless young men out there,
angry and just about to do anything?.
let's hope santa cruz doesn't became another '''salinas''' or watsonville'''

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thorium power plant-Wave of the future?? 6 hr Brotherly Love 5
Gay for Trump want throw down with North Korea 6 hr Brotherly Love 2
News Thousands come out to WAMM Festival (Sep '08) 6 hr Brotherly Love 242
DBS Lost (Jul '12) Thu Brotherly Love 106
"Gang" robberies in Oakland Thu ITS HAPPENING 1
News Cops and Courts blog: Man arrested for Santa Cr... (Dec '08) Apr 25 pinkysnarf 2
News Legacy of labor leader lives on Apr 24 Ignorance 6

Santa Cruz Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Santa Cruz Mortgages