Epicenter Blog: Remembering the Barn in Scotts Valley

Believe it or not, the very epicenter of the 1960s counterculture in Santa Cruz County was, for a while, a large drafty barn on the outskirts of Scotts Valley. Read more
The Scream

Santa Cruz, CA

#1 Nov 6, 2009
Lovely; this isn't a story about the Barn, just WB asking _you_ to send _him_ stories about the Barn. Can we get at least $7.75 an hour for doing these guys' work for them?
Randall

Los Gatos, CA

#2 Nov 6, 2009
Yes, that hippie drug revolution was something terrific. I remember taking acid in the 70's and having a horrible breakdown, followed by years of flashbacks and panic attacks.

I am lucky to be alive.
slow stop tailgating

Santa Cruz, CA

#3 Nov 6, 2009
I remember that, but I never used drugs, thanks God!
JJJ

Santa Cruz, CA

#4 Nov 6, 2009
only people i knew who had drug-related breakdowns were on the edge of them anyways.
nice

Santa Cruz, CA

#5 Nov 6, 2009
Randall wrote:
Yes, that hippie drug revolution was something terrific. I remember taking acid in the 70's and having a horrible breakdown, followed by years of flashbacks and panic attacks.
I am lucky to be alive.
Bummer...other folks went on to do good things and love life... be President, create great art, make music, teach school, and such...
Lost World

Danville, CA

#6 Nov 6, 2009
Long live The Barn.
cruznative

Santa Cruz, CA

#7 Nov 6, 2009
I helped with the "light shows" of the day...Overhead projectors with a clear baking dish full of water with a little veggie oil and food coloring...Awesome results and very "low tech".
sad hippie dreams

Los Gatos, CA

#8 Nov 7, 2009
Check out Pacific Ave. to see what happened to your hippie dreams,,.
Mme Vanille

United States

#9 Jul 11, 2010
Lost World wrote:
Long live The Barn.
I hooked up with artist and Merry Prankster Cool Breeze at the Barn.. I think he was hanging out with you doin the light show. I was with my girlfriend Patty... we had bird whistles we bought at the 5 and dime... We'd dance around the periphery of the Barn's dance floor using our whistles to find each other... Cool Breeze came down and joined in one time... and I ended up staying the night on the bunk beds. Janis Joplin was there. I have GREAT memories of that short but beautiful time.
Mme Vanille

United States

#10 Jul 11, 2010
O, and those light shows were awesome!
Jill Magruder

Santa Fe, NM

#11 Feb 9, 2011
I was about 13 yrs. old, but managed to get in on some light shows at The Barn when I lived in Scotts Valley...otherwise a very provincial, mostly conservative little rural town. I remember standing on a push broom being pushed around the floor by Country Joe (of country joe and the fish) after a show. My family dentist used to put on light shows there and, as I remember, he dabbled a bit in drugs.
Jill Magruder

Santa Fe, NM

#12 Feb 10, 2011
cruznative wrote:
I helped with the "light shows" of the day...Overhead projectors with a clear baking dish full of water with a little veggie oil and food coloring...Awesome results and very "low tech".
Born in 1954 and grew up in Scotts Valley... I was a little too young for the scene, but was there at The Barn at the age of 13. After the show, Country Joe stuck around and I stood on the push broom he used to sweep the place out! I was shocked to see my dentist (everybody's dentist in Scotts Valley, I think) doing the light show, smoking pot and obviously part of the psychedelic scene. Looking for his name, but haven't seen any mention of him in stories about The Barn.
Tim Roberson

Marysville, CA

#13 Oct 5, 2012
Hey Jill, I was a younger than you, but remember the music coming across the valley on weekends. I remember one sunday morning at church, next to the Barn, some drugged up hippy walked into the church and yelled "Praise the Lord, I want to be saved." It scared the heck out of everyone there. That was about 1965 or so.
What a great place to grow up.
Jill Magruder wrote:
<quoted text>
Born in 1954 and grew up in Scotts Valley... I was a little too young for the scene, but was there at The Barn at the age of 13. After the show, Country Joe stuck around and I stood on the push broom he used to sweep the place out! I was shocked to see my dentist (everybody's dentist in Scotts Valley, I think) doing the light show, smoking pot and obviously part of the psychedelic scene. Looking for his name, but haven't seen any mention of him in stories about The Barn.
jeffry helms

Oakland, CA

#14 Oct 5, 2012
Just think of the area before the latino ashakenazi wannabe's evolved and washed narcotic money in real estate and our std ,mental health, crime rates went sky high along with all of our new found giant bills,foriegn organized drug fronts, homeless harassement, racially conspiring and scheming on americans after their bloodlines fought for latino ashakenazi right to life in world war 2.
Barbara Bentley

Palo Alto, CA

#15 Apr 17, 2014
I met Cool Breeze (Kesey had dropped the Pranksters) at the Barn. I remember spending the night with him there... he came down from helping out on the light show when he saw Patty and me dancing around the periphery of the floor calling each other with our five and dime bird whistles. Janis Joplin was one bunk over from us that night. I went with my best girlfriend of the time, Patty Kienholz, and ended up spending the night, then moving the party to Patty's in the Santa Cruz mountains, and finally leaving with Breeze and Tenny Lyons.

It was a great place. My girlfriends worked selling food. I really liked the light shows and the bands. Like all good things, it was only there for a flash of time, but a brilliant one.
Barbara Bentley

Palo Alto, CA

#16 Apr 17, 2014
cruznative wrote:
Those were the best light shows! Thank you! I loved them much more than the light shows I see at festivals up in Oregon nowadays. They were so simple and organic and went so well with the music.
jeffry helms

Hayward, CA

#17 Apr 18, 2014
The Scream wrote:
Lovely; this isn't a story about the Barn, just WB asking _you_ to send _him_ stories about the Barn. Can we get at least $7.75 an hour for doing these guys' work for them?
What was the gal's name that humped all the high school kids ---about 13-15 years ago with nice boobies--she really broke in the high school kids--what a nympho.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Robert Kahnjob is getting trashed on the Sentin... 2 hr Not Chubby Phat 21
News Santa Cruz Civic Auditorium celebrates 75 years 18 hr ANON 1
News Families of Santa Cruz police sign petition for... Sat WooF 18
News Santa Cruz City Council reaffirms vote to purch... Sat WooF 19
News Public disruption over armored vehicle ends San... Fri Reality Check 28
News Aryan Nations recruiting again in northern Idaho (Apr '09) Fri Commander Bunny 418
News Santa Cruz commission floats Pacific one-way tr... Fri Donny B 5
Santa Cruz Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Santa Cruz People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]