Texas rep apologies for remarks on As...

Texas rep apologies for remarks on Asian names

There are 1 comment on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Apr 11, 2009, titled Texas rep apologies for remarks on Asian names. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

A Texas lawmaker under fire for saying that Asian-American voters should adopt names that are "easier for Americans" has apologized for her remarks.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

RobtA

San Rafael, CA

#1 Apr 11, 2009
Hmmm... My own surname is an anglicized mis-pronunciation of an Austrian-German name, but not so bad as to be unintelligible. Thinking back to my school days, I can recall several Italian and German or Polish names that had been anglicized. Indeed, the students (and their parents) had intentionally not been taught any language other than English, until of high school age. Very few were dual citizens.

I am talking about white European types, here. There's also the problem of "slave names" for blacks, but that was a more radical departure.

When I attended university in Canada, one student had the last name of Ng. It was pronounced the way you see it spelled here, like "Ing" without the letter I. Even students from other parts of China thought it sounded funny to them, so they called him N.G.(en-gee).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Highland Meadows Apartments (Apr '11) 2 hr HECTOR 1,387
News Woman testifies of hearing robbery plans (Mar '09) Mon Mariana Zavala 15
Missy Campbell at 4040 E. Piedmont Dr. Unit 72.... Sun MISSY DAWN CAMPBELL 18
News Epicenter blog: Umbrella Man sighting? (Feb '09) Apr 19 Chris 34
News Dr. Glenn Harper, a neurosurgeon returning to T... (Oct '10) Apr 7 richard 9
News Dan Harper: Growing old is not for the faint of... (Aug '08) Mar '18 Curious Cat 11
Pacific Heights at 6900 Victoria Ave. Highland,... Mar '18 Pacific Heights H... 34

Santa Cruz Jobs

Personal Finance

Santa Cruz Mortgages