Epicenter blog: Umbrella Man sighting?

Epicenter blog: Umbrella Man sighting?

There are 33 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Feb 18, 2009, titled Epicenter blog: Umbrella Man sighting?. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Here we go, launching into a new era of covering the cultural scene in Santa Cruz County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Welcome back Robert

Santa Cruz, CA

#1 Feb 18, 2009
Robert you and your pink umbrella have been missed. Anyone that has taken the time to say hello to you knows what a kind person you are. Our whole family has missed you and we are very pleased to hear that you are back. Welcome Home!
Joser

United States

#2 Feb 18, 2009
i didnt know the umbrella man had a personality disorder. but then again, dont we all have mental problems?
not down

Long Beach, CA

#3 Feb 18, 2009
why is he looking at me. Stop looking at me. You are creeping me out. Look at somebody else.
JJJ

Vallejo, CA

#4 Feb 18, 2009
joser; years ago there was this filthy bearded guy who sat outside the Palomar wrapped in 30 layers of plastic garbage bags with a little table covered in dense scribbled rants about politics and who knows what all else, he was known as Robert as his signs all said ROBERT FOR PRESIDENT... this Robert disappeared for a few years, and later resurfaced as the Umbrella dude. One of the local weeklies interviewed him a few years ago, and managed to determine that at one time he was a engineer or something, who had 'dropped out', and had done time in various mental institutions.
Jack

Millbrae, CA

#5 Feb 18, 2009
To all the people who care about this man walking up and down the sidewalk am glad you all missed him. I have to say I don't he smelled like cat spray or his own spray and he looked so dirty from never taking a bath or shower. Before all of you out of town people moved to this beach town I like to call home, we had a place called Pacific Garden Mall with lots of plants and brick and it was very peacefull and I will always remember a man a very dark man who would stand in front of the Leask's store across from the Copper House he would just stand there all day never bothered anyone he would just have his head up at the Sun everyday this man stood in the same spot till one night two men picked him up and thew him over the San Lorenzo river brige and he died this man was the coolest man I ever knew I went to his funeral and there was a 21 gun salute for he died a Vietnam Vet. I was proud to be the first the pick up a shovel and place dirt in his grave. Now if there is anyone you want to remember how about someone cool like this guy and not some wannabe look at me am a freak in pink what is this town turning into ?
Pillow Fighter

Santa Cruz, CA

#6 Feb 18, 2009
It was Cooper House, not Copper House and I remember the man who stood in the sun all day. I remember Pacific Avenue before it was even a mall at all!

Let's not blame the people who moved from out of town, Jack. After all, we all come from somewhere, including yourself or your parents before you. The town has been changing since the first settlers moved here. Didn't they bump off the natives? Change is ever-constant. Can't stop it and who would even want to? We'd die of boredom.
Randy

Santa Barbara, CA

#7 Feb 18, 2009
Santa Cruz doesn't need the umbrella man! We need fewer freaks and more productive citizens. Umbrella man chased away more productive people than he ever brought to the mall. Obama says we all need to contribute. What did umbrella man ever contribute to the mall?
Total Recall

Buena Park, CA

#8 Feb 18, 2009
JJJ wrote:
joser; years ago there was this filthy bearded guy who sat outside the Palomar wrapped in 30 layers of plastic garbage bags with a little table covered in dense scribbled rants about politics and who knows what all else, he was known as Robert as his signs all said ROBERT FOR PRESIDENT... this Robert disappeared for a few years, and later resurfaced as the Umbrella dude. One of the local weeklies interviewed him a few years ago, and managed to determine that at one time he was a engineer or something, who had 'dropped out', and had done time in various mental institutions.
I remember that dude, I don't think he was the one that became umbrella man though. Bag-fort-man had little holes for his eyes and he would greet people with "have a nice day sir/maam" when he felt like it. I never saw the rest of him except for glimpses of his face/beard through the holes. He moved closer to Zoccolis for a while like 10 years ago.

Umbrella man was yellow floral shirt-and-hat dude before he did the "pink lady" thing. He had pants back then and less make up if any. He was weird but not offensive at that point in time. He didn't purposely mess with pedestrian and auto traffic, and didn't smell as bad.

The engineer thing is an old rumor attributed to several homeless folks. Remember Oscar on the westside? He had all those shopping carts and bags put together that he would push from his "home" in the bay street median between Escalona and Nobel and the lower westside. People said he used to be a professor of some sort possibly at the UC. Deep secrets or timex social club rumors? Who knows?
RainMan

San Jose, CA

#9 Feb 18, 2009
Can we just move-on from this ????
Who cares about this FREAK anyway...

Like the previous poster said : Santa Cruz does NOT need anymore weirdos and freaks.

GO AWAY umbrella person.
Big Wave Dave

United States

#10 Feb 18, 2009
Jack wrote:
To all the people who care about this man walking up and down the sidewalk am glad you all missed him. I have to say I don't he smelled like cat spray or his own spray and he looked so dirty from never taking a bath or shower. Before all of you out of town people moved to this beach town I like to call home, we had a place called Pacific Garden Mall with lots of plants and brick and it was very peacefull and I will always remember a man a very dark man who would stand in front of the Leask's store across from the Copper House he would just stand there all day never bothered anyone he would just have his head up at the Sun everyday this man stood in the same spot till one night two men picked him up and thew him over the San Lorenzo river brige and he died this man was the coolest man I ever knew I went to his funeral and there was a 21 gun salute for he died a Vietnam Vet. I was proud to be the first the pick up a shovel and place dirt in his grave. Now if there is anyone you want to remember how about someone cool like this guy and not some wannabe look at me am a freak in pink what is this town turning into ?
Yes, I believe his name was Raul, if I remember correctly. Then there was the tall thin guy (younger) with the black hair and goatee who would scare everyone with his violent cursing, and when he saw his reflection in a window......showtime! And the old woman with the bike who would simply look tortured and pathetic (seriously) and would tend to just "fall" down wherever the mood took her and be inconsolable. And whatever happened to the large, athletic woman with the mohawk and the EXTREME hatred in her eyes that would zoom around town on her bicycle...she scared me the most. But my alltime favorite was the rainbow lady that hung out and danced at the cooperhouse, good energy. The list goes on and on.
Billy from the Hills

Palo Alto, CA

#12 Feb 18, 2009
What ever happened to the monkey man who was always shirtless and thumping his chest and looking ready for a fight near the boardwalk? What about kitty kat man whose roamed the same area and every word was either vulgar or a screamed 'meow'? There was a homeless celebrity named Art in another town who would roam the business district and wash the windows for money. Someone had a shirt made that said "What is Art? Art is a window washer" and had his picture on the back. I thought that was good. It sold a lot of shirts. Maybe someone should market some umbrella man shirts.
westside

Ben Lomond, CA

#13 Feb 18, 2009
ah dontcha just love bi-polar disease. I think a lot of these innocent harmless types fell prey to all the criminal element that infiltrated downtown, same that we are all experiencing only worse on them.
Local since 1965

Santa Cruz, CA

#14 Feb 18, 2009
He's boring. All he does is smile and walk slow. Now the accordian man, thats some real talent, makes his own costumes and plays great! I remember when Santa Cruz had alot of talent.....what happened?

Since: Jan 09

United States

#16 Feb 19, 2009
Jack, I almost died from reading your sentence out loud. There was hardly any punctuation, and that run-on almost knocked me to the floor from lack of oxygen. I know it's petty, but I just couldn't stand it, especially when it was such a negative comment.
JJJ

Vallejo, CA

#17 Feb 19, 2009
yeah, I haven't seen The Great Morgani (said accordion dude) for awhile either. he is quite talented, in fact a professional performer who just does the street art in his spare time because he can.
TREEHUGGER

United States

#18 Feb 19, 2009
What happened to the bike lady? I remember the rainbow lady who used to dance in front of the Cooper House. Her husband used to come in where I worked. He was a real regular guy who seemed kind of in awe of her energy and he didn't have much to say about her pastime except that she just loved to dance. It bugs me that I can't remember her name. She had beautiful red hair. I think her husband's name was Homer.
you guess

AOL

#19 Feb 19, 2009
TREEHUGGER wrote:
What happened to the bike lady? I remember the rainbow lady who used to dance in front of the Cooper House. Her husband used to come in where I worked. He was a real regular guy who seemed kind of in awe of her energy and he didn't have much to say about her pastime except that she just loved to dance. It bugs me that I can't remember her name. She had beautiful red hair. I think her husband's name was Homer.
Was the Rainbow Lady's name Ginger?
Karen

Santa Cruz, CA

#20 Feb 19, 2009
you guess wrote:
<quoted text>Was the Rainbow Lady's name Ginger?
Yes. She was such a sweetheart.
LOCAL YOKAL

Santa Cruz, CA

#21 Feb 19, 2009
The guy is a loser. With obviously nothing better to do than draw attention to his obviously neglected ego.
The Pool Cleaner

Daly City, CA

#22 Feb 19, 2009
The old woman on the bike was a catatonic named Beth. She had a family who loved her and provided her with a credit card for necessities. She just wanted to be left alone to roam.

Bag man in front of Zoccolis "have a nice day" and "Umbrella man" ARE one in the same.

Now, YOU have a nice day. Go take a slow walk in the sunshine...life is short.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News To combat crime, Santa Cruz council members con... (Jul '10) 22 hr All of Santa Cruz 63
News Heroin Highway - Map of heroin traffic in Santa... (May '10) Tue Tourist in Anaheim 26
News Bristol Palin says abstinence best path for teens (May '09) Mon Minimum wage 2,651
djt Dec 2 MAGA 1
News PVUSD ranks 15 among state's 97 districts that ... (Feb '08) Nov 29 Daddy 20
News Fidel Castro: Cuba doesn't fear dialogue with US (Apr '09) Nov 26 Fredo 29
News Aryan Nations recruiting again in northern Idaho (Apr '09) Nov 26 Tired of the Lies 490

Santa Cruz Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Santa Cruz Mortgages