are you OK with lesbian/gay/bisexual/...

are you OK with lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgendered people living near you?

Created by Section 8 LGBT people on Aug 17, 2010

37 votes

Click on an option to vote

yes

no

definitely not

definitely yes

no opinion

Section 8 LGBT people

Santa Cruz, CA

#1 Aug 17, 2010
there is a housing crisis for LGBT seniors. they need secure homes where they can be themselves.

http://video.google.com/videoplay... #
curious cat

Santa Cruz, CA

#2 Aug 17, 2010
don't discriminate. it's against the law!

http://espanol.video.yahoo.com/watch/1275490/...
Joe Stalin

United States

#3 Aug 17, 2010
"If you can get them asking the wrong questions, you don't have to worry about the answers."
curious cat

Santa Cruz, CA

#4 Aug 18, 2010
Joe Stalin wrote:
"If you can get them asking the wrong questions, you don't have to worry about the answers."
what exactly are you implying "Uncle Joe"?
curious cat

Santa Cruz, CA

#5 Aug 18, 2010
for those voting "no" and "definitely not", can you educate the rest about why you feel that way?
Section 8 LGBT people

Santa Cruz, CA

#6 Aug 19, 2010
it's imperative that Congress amend the Fair Housing Act to include (perceived) LGBT people as a protected class. currently there are several bills in Congress to do this.

if this was law, the gang of LGBT haters at the Mission Gardens Apartments who are harassing and threatening me based on misconceived notions that I am LGBT when I am not, would be evicted. if it was law, HUD would never had allowed this.

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/civil-...

to quote:

"It is critical that federal lawmakers amend the Fair Housing Act to ban discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people.

Thatís what I urged lawmakers to do at the March 11 House Committee on the Judiciary, Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Civil Liberties hearing titled "Protecting the American Dream: A Look at the Fair Housing Act." The Task Force was the only LGBT rights group presenting oral testimony at this historic hearing.

Right now, the Fair Housing Act protects against housing discrimination based on race or color, religion, sex, national origin, family status or disability. But the truth of the matter is, every day in America, people are discriminated in housing simply because of their sexual orientation or their gender identity.

For us, the pursuit of the American dream, including home ownership, is a risky proposition. When our sexual orientation or gender identity is known, either because we offer it willingly or a landlord, realtor or lender is made aware by other means, there is potential for outright hostility, property damage and even physical violence.

The Task Force has heard stories over the years from lesbians, gay men, bisexual and transgender people who were discriminated against when trying to secure a roof over their heads. One same-sex couple was forced to tell potential landlords they were roommates because they were harassed and rejected when they applied as a couple. In Baltimore, a transgender man upon meeting the potential landlord was confronted with a $100 per month increase in the quoted rent and was told checks were not accepted. When his female friend inquired about the same apartment, she was told checks were accepted and the rent was not raised."
curious cat

Santa Cruz, CA

#7 Aug 19, 2010
why the "no's" and "definitely nots"? please explain your reasoning ...
Section 8 LGBT people

Santa Cruz, CA

#9 Aug 20, 2010
California's laws against LGBT discrimination are not enough. For one, HUD's FHEO cannot investigate and enforce laws against LGBT discrimination. For two, California's Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) is too backlogged; it can take them eight months to just file your complaint. and three, we need uniform protections because some states, unlike CA, provide no legal protection.

To quote:

"Twenty states and D.C. prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, and 13 states and D.C. include gender identity. But this patchwork of legislation simply is not enough, and local protections often do not offer robust enforcement and recourse to victims. Amending the Fair Housing Act would provide baseline protection for LGBT people living outside currently protected jurisdictions, and it would provide.

LGBT individuals suffer pervasive discrimination in so many areas of their lives. No one should be evicted, be kept from living in certain areas, or pay more rent simply because of who they are. Nor should anyone have to lie about who they are in order to have safe housing. For all these reasons, the Fair Housing Act should be amended to ban discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity."
Solomon Grundy

Farmington, NM

#10 Aug 20, 2010
I want QUIET neighbors who keep to themselves, but who also keep an eye open for suspicious activity in the neighborhood. I don't care if they're gay, straight, bi, old, young, pretty, ugly, whatever. Just be good neighbors.
Really

Mountain View, CA

#11 Aug 20, 2010
Who cares? What Solomon said.
newguy40

Santa Cruz, CA

#12 Aug 20, 2010
Section 8 LGBT people wrote:
California's laws against LGBT discrimination are not enough. For one, HUD's FHEO cannot investigate and enforce laws against LGBT discrimination. For two, California's Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) is too backlogged; it can take them eight months to just file your complaint. and three, we need uniform protections because some states, unlike CA, provide no legal protection.
To quote:
"Twenty states and D.C. prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, and 13 states and D.C. include gender identity. But this patchwork of legislation simply is not enough, and local protections often do not offer robust enforcement and recourse to victims. Amending the Fair Housing Act would provide baseline protection for LGBT people living outside currently protected jurisdictions, and it would provide.
LGBT individuals suffer pervasive discrimination in so many areas of their lives. No one should be evicted, be kept from living in certain areas, or pay more rent simply because of who they are. Nor should anyone have to lie about who they are in order to have safe housing. For all these reasons, the Fair Housing Act should be amended to ban discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity."
You want better housing from HUD? Then go after HUD, legislate for different inheritance laws BUT leave off marriage.

But, we know this is NOT about about equal rights, right? Just look at this silly poll.
It's about the craving for acceptance AND a desire to tear down traditional marriage to the point where marriage is either abolished or becomes irrelavant to western cultre.
Section 8 LGBT people

Santa Cruz, CA

#13 Aug 21, 2010
i never talked about marriage. but (perceived) LGBT people have the same rights to marriage as any other folk.

this is all about EQUAL RIGHTS. to housing. and in other forums, to marriage.
curious cat

Santa Cruz, CA

#14 Aug 21, 2010
LGBT PRIDE center in Utah reaches out to neighborhood to end discrimination against the LGBT community.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php...

to quote:

"The gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community extended an invitation Tuesday for an open house at the Utah Pride Center. They're hoping the open house will open up discussions with local and state government officials.

The group is welcoming anyone who wants to come. It's been an all-day event, which is part of a nationwide event. Open houses like this one took place all over the country Tuesday.

Organizers say they want to build a good relationship, not only with the neighborhood near the center, but also with people around the state. They say the goal of Tuesday's event is to educate the public and, hopefully, work toward a discussion with Gov. Gary Herbert. The governor has said he does not support creating specific anti-discrimination provisions in state employment laws for the gay lesbian bisexual and transgender community."

"We believe that Utahns are fair-minded and that they eventually will come to see that discrimination does not belong in our state," said Valerie Larabee, executive director of the Utah Pride Center."
curious cat

Santa Cruz, CA

#15 Aug 22, 2010
Really wrote:
Who cares? What Solomon said.
i thought what Solomon said was very wise. A good neighbor is a good neighbor regardless of meaningless distinctions between neighbors.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Another Bumfest failure. 18 hr The Truth Hurts 6
Send Nancy Lou back to Samar 21 hr I KNOW 2
How's the job search going John Wed The Truth Hurts 17
News Pair arrested in downtown Santa Cruz for spray ... Wed The Beggar 20
News Donald Trump pi atas at hit for Watsonville maker Wed I am sorry 1
Take back Santa Cruz from TBSC Tue The Truth Hurts 16
occupy leader hires kate perry for police offic... Sep 1 los angles occupy... 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Santa Cruz Mortgages