UC Santa Cruz goes smoke-free in January

Dec 22, 2013 Full story: Santa Cruz Sentinel 8

With the turn of the new year, UC Santa Cruz smokers will have to leave campus to light up -- or quit entirely.

Read more
bump

Santa Cruz, CA

#1 Dec 23, 2013
BJ is blithering about smoking bans being a police conspiracy or some such.
chirp

Santa Cruz, CA

#2 Dec 23, 2013
bump wrote:
BJ is blithering about smoking bans being a police conspiracy or some such.
What else is new? Her argument is three years old and we have "archived" evidence of it here on topix. I was expecting a cat post about his horrible experience at mga and his sisters lacking the ability to breathe without a respirator and how second hand smoke has all but killed her, but it didn't happen. THAT is new. I was hoping for some activist on activist disagreements on the sentinel, but I "guess" they agreed to disagree, hahaaa

“Pearls before swine”

Since: Mar 08

Santa Cruz, CA.

#3 Jan 17, 2014
UCSC has banned all tobacco products including snuff & chewing tobacco. However, patches, nicotine gum, or prescription oral nicotine will remain legal, in what has to be a big give-away to the pharmaceutical companies who are making bank on smoking cessation programs that largely don't work.

In what has to be the most unscientific conclusion ever, UCSC admin. has also banned electronic cigarettes which have no more smoke and no less nicotine than all the products sold by the drug companies combined.

Electronic cigarettes and the Swedish product, Snus, provide a 95% harm reduction from smoking cigarettes. Their use should not be banned, but promoted due to their potential impact on public health.

Expect some lawsuits shortly.
DBS

Sunnyvale, CA

#4 Jan 17, 2014
Becky Johnson wrote:
UCSC has banned all tobacco products including snuff & chewing tobacco. However, patches, nicotine gum, or prescription oral nicotine will remain legal, in what has to be a big give-away to the pharmaceutical companies who are making bank on smoking cessation programs that largely don't work.
In what has to be the most unscientific conclusion ever, UCSC admin. has also banned electronic cigarettes which have no more smoke and no less nicotine than all the products sold by the drug companies combined.
Electronic cigarettes and the Swedish product, Snus, provide a 95% harm reduction from smoking cigarettes. Their use should not be banned, but promoted due to their potential impact on public health.
Expect some lawsuits shortly.
Hey BJ heard any FAT jokes lately? Oh, wait, you ARE a FAT joke!!
EBSCOhost

Santa Cruz, CA

#6 Jan 18, 2014
Becky Johnson wrote:
However, patches, nicotine gum, or prescription oral nicotine will remain legal, in what has to be a big give-away to the pharmaceutical companies who are making bank on smoking cessation programs that largely don't work.
I love biased and non-cited opinion.
Buzz

Oakland, CA

#7 Jan 18, 2014
Becky Johnson wrote:
UCSC has banned all tobacco products including snuff & chewing tobacco. However, patches, nicotine gum, or prescription oral nicotine will remain legal, in what has to be a big give-away to the pharmaceutical companies who are making bank on smoking cessation programs that largely don't work.
In what has to be the most unscientific conclusion ever, UCSC admin. has also banned electronic cigarettes which have no more smoke and no less nicotine than all the products sold by the drug companies combined.
Electronic cigarettes and the Swedish product, Snus, provide a 95% harm reduction from smoking cigarettes. Their use should not be banned, but promoted due to their potential impact on public health.
Expect some lawsuits shortly.
I do agree with you regarding E cigarettes. They should be allowed the same as nicotine patches, etc. Please don't talk about 'unscientific conclusions'; it's hypocritical with your history of hyperbole, distortion, spin, deception and outright lying to make your point. You are about as credible as the Chimp Advocate, John E Colby! You posted your address and personal information on-line, but weren't stupid enough to post your credit card.
Donny B

Falls Church, VA

#8 Jan 18, 2014
Becky Johnson wrote:
UCSC has banned all tobacco products including snuff & chewing tobacco. However, patches, nicotine gum, or prescription oral nicotine will remain legal, in what has to be a big give-away to the pharmaceutical companies who are making bank on smoking cessation programs that largely don't work.

In what has to be the most unscientific conclusion ever, UCSC admin. has also banned electronic cigarettes which have no more smoke and no less nicotine than all the products sold by the drug companies combined.

Electronic cigarettes and the Swedish product, Snus, provide a 95% harm reduction from smoking cigarettes. Their use should not be banned, but promoted due to their potential impact on public health.

Expect some lawsuits shortly.
You forget, BJ... the university can set up whatever rules it decides are in the best interests of the university and their rules are not predicated on or have to abide by any scientific conclusions. Lawsuits... that's a laugh. You're an idiot. Get over it!
DBS

San Jose, CA

#9 Jan 18, 2014
Becky Johnson wrote:
UCSC has banned all tobacco products including snuff & chewing tobacco. However, patches, nicotine gum, or prescription oral nicotine will remain legal, in what has to be a big give-away to the pharmaceutical companies who are making bank on smoking cessation programs that largely don't work.
In what has to be the most unscientific conclusion ever, UCSC admin. has also banned electronic cigarettes which have no more smoke and no less nicotine than all the products sold by the drug companies combined.
Electronic cigarettes and the Swedish product, Snus, provide a 95% harm reduction from smoking cigarettes. Their use should not be banned, but promoted due to their potential impact on puiblic health.
Expect some lawsuits shortly.
Hey BJ who's going to pay for an Attorney to file suit? We know Robert Kahnjob won't. Or how about ColbyLOSER and his fearsome "Gorrilla advocacy"? And on what grounds will a suit be based?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Aryan Nations recruiting again in northern Idaho (Apr '09) 35 min Kanakarican 424
The Jimmy Springer Show 1 hr Anxious agitiated... 8
News Amy Christey withdraws from consideration for S... (Apr '09) Mon Jupiter Jones 12
Jim Spring, Failed PhD (Apr '14) Mon DBS thrives 41
News Santa Cruz philanthropist questions repeated no... Mon BumperMan 1
News Santa Cruz Civic Auditorium celebrates 75 years Sat ANON 1
News Families of Santa Cruz police sign petition for... Mar 28 WooF 18
Santa Cruz Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Santa Cruz People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]