Offra Gerstein, Relationship Matters: Is Attention Deficit Hyperact...

Full story: Santa Cruz Sentinel

Learning to live with a permanent partner requires ongoing adjustments. When your mate has Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, both of you are challenged to an even greater degree.
Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Sep 26, 2013
Interesting

Felton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2010

Has Offra been spying at my house or something?(hahaha) This all sounds very familiar, and it is helpful to know more about the condition. Reading this article helps me feel compassionate and hopeful.
As I See It

Watsonville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2010

Judged:

"Some behavioral characteristics of ADHD in adults include: inattention, distractibility, poor concentration, disorganization, procrastination, chronic lateness and forgetfulness. Emotional symptoms may present as: mood swings, difficulty controlling anger, low frustration tolerance, impulsiveness or chronic boredom, depending upon whether they have attention deficit with or without hyperactivity symptoms."

The cure for all this is called "Growing up!" This is a description of a spoiled child. Why must we be forced always to be sooooo gentle with narcissistic behavior. You can sit around as long as you want and cry and moan or you can get up off your dead butt, suck it up and just be and adult! This really describes
Hitler, Mussolini, obama... oh yeah..and my ex-wife. The only thing that makes them different is the numbers of people that they can control with their childish
tantrums and threats. They will treat you exactly how you allow them to treat you. If allowed to do it, they will control Just a few or millions. The personality makeup is exactly the same.
Just the numbers are different.
Jocko

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2010

Clinical psychologist in private practice in Santa Cruz trolls for business by placing advertisement thinly disguised as an "article" in local newspaper. Zzzz.
Jocko

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2010

Judged:

Translation: troll -- to fish by trailing a lure or baited hook from a moving boat.

Wouldn't want to use that word in polite company. You know fishermen...
Jocko

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2010

Judged:

You're kidding, troll is permitted, but trolls (the plural) is not?
Jocko

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2010

Judged:

OK so it's not "plural" if it's an intransitive verb. Whatever.
Writers Block

San Bruno, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2010

"Once they realize that the disagreeable conduct and emotional expressions are not attributable to personality faults or willful reluctance to abstain from annoying habits, the diagnosis of ADHD is sometimes responded to with great relief."

That's because ADHD is normal human behavior, yet people love to have a label they can fall back on so they can claim their behavior is no fault of theirs.

According to the description given here, I have ADHD, and my spouse has a more mild version of it. Yet we manage to live a law abiding, largely normal life. Imagine that.

Still, maybe I can claim disability for my "condition"....
Writers Block

San Bruno, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2010

Judged:

As I See It wrote:
"Some behavioral characteristics of ADHD in adults include: inattention, distractibility, poor concentration, disorganization, procrastination, chronic lateness and forgetfulness. Emotional symptoms may present as: mood swings, difficulty controlling anger, low frustration tolerance, impulsiveness or chronic boredom, depending upon whether they have attention deficit with or without hyperactivity symptoms."
The cure for all this is called "Growing up!" This is a description of a spoiled child....
That's nothing like the description of a "spoiled child," aisi. You are absurd. It is, however, a description that covers many, many addled, overwhelmed, overscheduled and unhappy adults and teens. In younger children, that behavior could indicate many things, including trouble at home (from abuse to a hostile and stressful environment). It's a catch-all description of behaviors that are very likely indicators of deeper issues. That's why ADHD is such a useless "nametag" to attach to anyone.
Tola Girl

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2010

My best friend has this and while I try to be super understanding and patient, it can be very, very hard. When you have plans to go somewhere that starts at a specific time and they show up so late that you will arrive at your destination missing half of the show/game/whatever, it becomes frustrating and difficult. Is there something someone who is dealing with someone with ADHD can do to help themselves cope? I don't want to lose my friend, but I find myself increasingly frustrated and that turns into feelings of giving up on them. And I truly don't want to do that. Are there ways I can help myself cope versus trying to change them? Because that isn't fair. I want to do my part.
wildman

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2010

Cell phone/computer technology induced. Tough to avoid, but your emotional well being is more important.
Darwin

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2010

If it's hereditary, don't breed.
Pathos

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2010

ADHD is a serious behavioral impediment to fitting into
social situations,being capable of functioning without
feeling you're somehow abnormal-which creates shame that
can incapacitate in and of it's ownself.I suspect that
further understanding of this disorder will show that
there may be predisposing behaviors i.e.:mother's drug
use;alcoholism that may be contributing factors,which
means that it may become rampant as the fallout from
drug experimentation affects more newborns.whatever,it
is seemingly an epidemic already and without proper
diagnosis and treatment it will create problems for
life for those afflicted.Empathy and compassion are
needed,and special consideration for the difficulties those affected-but my guess is it will be considered
a lack of will-power,and stigmatism will make life
hell for those caught in this disorder!
Ahmed
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2013

I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Santa Cruz Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Santa Cruz People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Santa Cruz News, Events & Info