As You See It: April 11, 2009

As You See It: April 11, 2009

There are 90 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Apr 11, 2009, titled As You See It: April 11, 2009. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

It has saddened me to watch the escalating group of wanderers who now have sabotaged our beautiful neighborhood church lawn on the corner of Lincoln and Center streets downtown.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

“Pearls before swine”

Since: Mar 08

Santa Cruz, CA.

#50 Apr 12, 2009
DBS WRITES: "By giving them a Nazi salute, and then costing the city six figures for his frivolous lawsuits???"

BECKY: The case is about a FALSE ARREST. If the council members didn't FALSELY ARREST anyone, taxpayers would not be on the hook. Norse has offered to settle for attorney's fees and minor changes in the rules of decorum. But the City and Barisone are prepared to spend ANOTHER $100,000.00 to defend those council members FALSE ARREST practices.

“Pearls before swine”

Santa Cruz, CA.

#52 Apr 12, 2009
ENOUGH WRITES: "Fr. Joel is actually enabling the bottom feeders who hang out on the church property."

BECKY: A human being is NOT a "bottom feeder." Fr. Joel is showing compassion and providing a clearly needed service---feeding hungry and homeless people and providing a safe place for where they can rest. He is enabling them to see that not all are cold, cruel, and self-righteous bigots who look down on the poor.

Likewise DOWNTOWN RETIREE is filled with his own self-entitlement after years of gainful employment, housing, money, and loving family and friends. Why he should look down on homeless people who do NOT share his prosperity and characterize them as a "greedy and lazy bunch" who offend him by being visible signs of poverty, shows that as we grow older, we don't always grow wiser.

When we see human being suffering, our ONLY response should be "How can I help?" For many on these boards, the response is instead, "How can we drive these ***** away?"

Loaves and fishes, folks!
DBS

AOL

#53 Apr 12, 2009
Liar.
The court has not yet ruled whether or not the arrest was false. That's what nutcase Norse is TRYING to claim in his frivolous lawsuit.

What are you two whackjobs gonna say when he inevitably loses in court??????????

“Pearls before swine”

Santa Cruz, CA.

#54 Apr 12, 2009
FORMERLY QUIET WOMAN WRITES: "My dear girl: you have no idea if we have polar opposite views on what to do with the homeless or not, since I, unlike you, have yet to post my views on what to do with the homeless. It's YOU who bugs me. You. I would love to stop reading your posts but you post constantly and insistently in any post often not related to the homeless at all."

BECKY: I usually post on topic. But if others (usually DBS, DREW, CRAIG, etc. make a comment about homelessness, I am inclined to respond). THEY were off topic first!

FORMERLY QUIET WOMAN WRITES: "I seriously tried to be quiet and blow you off. I thought the folks who replied to you were encouraging your fruitly loop remarks by the very act of responding to you and thought they should iggy you. But, man. You annoy a person. You know nothing and you do nothing. You like the attention. That much I now know. "

BECKY: Okay. So you DON'T have polar opposite views on what we should do re: homelessness in our community? But you HATE my responses? Just what is it that you are objecting to? That I don't run away with my tail between my legs because some anonymous blowhard called me "fat?"
Step Right Up

United States

#56 Apr 12, 2009
Welcome back to the Becky Show. In today's episode watch as Becky tries to slither her way out of new claims...

When we last left Becky she was claiming teachers made $800/day counting benefits.

As our viewers know Becky is full of amusing surprises and this promises to be another exciting adventure. Statistics by homeless self reporting anyone?

Stay tuned for more, right after this important word...
(Insert commercial here)

Since: Feb 08

Santa Cruz

#57 Apr 12, 2009
I have to laugh wrote:
<quoted text>
Smokers in general don't give a rat's a s s about not smoking around other people.
AND how can homeless people afford to smoke,
Indeed, and how do they afford drugs? ANS: Donations!

“Pearls before swine”

Santa Cruz, CA.

#59 Apr 12, 2009
“A hungry stomach cannot hear”

--- Jean de La Fontaine quotes (French Poet whose Fables are one of the masterpieces of French literature,1621-1695)

“God comes to the hungry in the form of food.”

--- Mahatma Gandhi quotes (Indian Philosopher, internationally esteemed for his doctrine of nonviolent protest, 1869-1948

“When I gave food to the poor, they called me a saint. When I asked why the poor were hungry, they called me a communist.”

--Dom Helder Camara

“Especially if you are well-to-do, see that no one goes hungry or naked”

Muhammad quotes ( Religious leader, prophet of Islam )

“The full person does not understand the needs of the hungry”

--- Irish Sayings

“We think sometimes that poverty is only being hungry, naked and homeless. The poverty of being unwanted, unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty. We must start in our own homes to remedy this kind of poverty.”

--- Mother Teresa of Calcutta quotes (Albanian born Indian Missionary and Founder of the Order of the Missionaries of Charity. Nobel Prize for Peace in 1979. 1910-1997)

“The bread that you store up belongs to the hungry; the coat that lies in your chest belongs to the naked; the gold that you have hidden in the ground belongs to the poor.”

---St. Basil quotes

"I don't preach a social gospel; I preach the Gospel, period. The gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ is concerned for the whole person. When people were hungry, Jesus didn't say, "Now is that political or social?" He said, "I feed you." Because the good news to a hungry person is bread.”

-- Bishop Desmond Tutu quotes (African Spiritual leader and Novelist, b.1931)
DBS clone

San Jose, CA

#60 Apr 12, 2009
"Pass me another pie, and YOU pay to feed and house someone else while you're at it."

-- Becky quotes
Dan B Sullivan

Santa Cruz, CA

#61 Apr 12, 2009
Becky Johnson wrote:
“Especially if you are well-to-do, see that no one goes hungry or naked”
Then why don't you tell Robert Norse to get out his multi-million dollar trust fund checkbook??????

Of course not, he's too busy with his lawsuit for his crackpot Nazi salute stunt.

“Pearls before swine”

Santa Cruz, CA.

#64 Apr 13, 2009
DAN B SULLIVAN WRITES:“Especially if you are well-to-do, see that no one goes hungry or naked”

"Then why don't you tell Robert Norse to get out his multi-million dollar trust fund checkbook?????? Of course not, he's too busy with his lawsuit for his crackpot Nazi salute stunt."

BECKY: Robert Norse dedicates most of his waking hours to reading, writing, conducting research, making contacts with people in the poverty field, planning events, writing flyers, calling public officials, and reporting on his two radio shows per week on homeless issues. He uses his fortune to pay himself to work full time on behalf of homeless civil rights.

He spends very little time on the fascist salute/false arrest Federal lawsuit. A hearing is scheduled this coming June.

But of course, since YOUR point of view is to promote policies which are intended to drive homeless people away from Santa Cruz (even those born here!!), then naturally, you don't like Norse's message that homeless people are PEOPLE and that they HAVE RIGHTS.

Call me "fat" again, why don't you?

P.S. Why have you come out of the closet now, Dan?
Sum Dim

United States

#65 Apr 13, 2009
Becky Johnson wrote:
“The full person does not understand the needs of the hungry”
--- Irish Sayings
I've always wondered what deep well Becks reaches into for her deep understanding and compassion for the poor. Now I know, she's never completely full. We're so lucky to have Becks around, always caring for other people who are hungry, although not as hungry as she is. Thanks, Becks.
Craig

Ben Lomond, CA

#69 Apr 13, 2009
Becky Johnson wrote:
D
BECKY: Robert Norse dedicates most of his waking hours to reading, writing, conducting research, making contacts with people in the poverty field, planning events, writing flyers, calling public officials, and reporting on his two radio shows per week on homeless issues. He uses his fortune to pay himself to work full time on behalf of homeless civil rights.
Did you keep a straight face when you wrote that?

"He uses his fortune to pay himself to work full time on behalf of homeless civil rights." . That one's a knee slapper.

But Becky, he has millions. YOU have said he could be living on a yacht, cavorting with underage eastern european models, drinking, gambling, and participating in "adventure" capitalism. Since he's living in a modest room, driving a wreck of a car, and hanging out with you, he's obviously spending nowhere near what he could be spending. As a matter of fact he must be one of the cheapest bosses around if that's how he pays himself to live. I hope he's paying himself minimum wage.

So why doesn't he take some of the money he has saved by living modestly and use it towards helping those that could directly benefit from it?

Do you think it's fine for people to have so much money they don't know what to do with it all the while watching people close to them die from hunger and go unsheltered in the rain and cold? Do you think it is okay for Robert to pay your food bill at The Hindquarter when people 100 feet out the door are going to bed with no food?
Craig

Ben Lomond, CA

#70 Apr 13, 2009
"He uses his fortune to pay himself to work full time on behalf of homeless civil rights."

Becky, I'm going to propose a little research for you and Robert to conduct. Apparently Robert like to conduct research in between his musings on life and canoodling with you.

Pose this question of the people you and Robert "advocate" for....

"Would you rather have Robert Norse spend 1/3 of his multi-million dollar fortune on building a shelter for the homeless or "advocating" on your behalf, whether you want him to or not, to continue sleeping in the street?"

I wonder which one they would chose?
Craig

Ben Lomond, CA

#71 Apr 13, 2009
Lets even make it easier Becky.

Just ask them "Would you rather have Robert Norse spend 1/4 of his multi-million dollar fortune on building a shelter for the homeless, or would you rather have him "advocate" on your behalf?".

"He uses his fortune to pay himself to work full time on behalf of homeless civil rights." This is a very fancy way of justifying why Robert should keep his own money while saying he's using it to benefit the poor.
Nancy

Ben Lomond, CA

#72 Apr 13, 2009
Becky Johnson wrote:
BECKY: He uses his fortune to pay himself to work full time on behalf of homeless civil rights.
If he's claiming that as a charitable deduction it's illegal. Does he know you are telling people this?
Sum Dim

United States

#73 Apr 13, 2009
"The full person does not understand the needs of the hungry"

---Irish Sayings, as quoted by Becks

I have always wondered what vast reserves Becks must draw upon to display so much compassion and understanding for the poor. Now I know. She's never full, no matter how much she eats. We're so lucky to have old Becks around to care for the hungry, who are nonetheless never as hungry as she is.

Thanks Becks.
Craig

Santa Cruz, CA

#74 Apr 14, 2009
Becky Johnson wrote:

“The bread that you store up belongs to the hungry; the coat that lies in your chest belongs to the naked; the gold that you have hidden in the ground belongs to the poor.”
---St. Basil quotes
Have you shared that little nugget of wisdom with Robert? What about HIS millions that he is not sharing? What about all that money he saves by paying himself little in order to live a simple life?

“Pearls before swine”

Santa Cruz, CA.

#76 Apr 14, 2009
DBS WRITES: "You still didn't answer the question. Why doesn't he get out his multi-million dollar trustfund checkbook to help anyone???????"

BECKY: Why don't you ask HIM? I'M a poorly paid substitute teacher living below the federal poverty line. How do you know he is NOT helping people with his money? What business is it what anyone does with their money? You seem to ONLY care what homeless people do with the spare change they get from begging and what Robert Norse does with his money. To everyone else, you are indifferent.

“Pearls before swine”

Santa Cruz, CA.

#77 Apr 14, 2009
TERMS OF SERVICE: TOPIX users agree to not "...post...any Content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, torturous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable"

"stalk" or otherwise harass another"

BECKY: Certainly DBS has repeatedly put up posts which are "vulgar, obscene, harassing, defamatory, and hateful"

He may well be "stalking" me too.

Repeatedly bringing up where I work and how to get me fired is "threatening" "invasive of my privacy" and "harassing."
Sabrina

Ben Lomond, CA

#80 Apr 14, 2009
Becky Johnson wrote:
BECKY: I'M a poorly paid substitute teacher living below the federal poverty line.
Who's fault is that? Are you trying to say that the ONLY job you are able to do is substitute teach part time? You can't do anything else that pays more? Are you saying you can't get a part time job to make ends meet?

Just answer this question. Do you have the ability to make more money by getting another part time job?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Santa Cruz accuses ICE agents of 'betrayal' 4 hr Loyal 10
News Fla. deputies handcuff 7-foot gator near school (Sep '10) 20 hr Pharted They Did 10
News Pa. woman warned about gator finds pot lab instead (Jul '09) 21 hr She Pharted Hard 29
News Heroin Highway - Map of heroin traffic in Santa... (May '10) Feb 25 Lucy21 37
News 2 NorCal brothel operators arrested in raids (Sep '10) Feb 21 tewpeigh 59
Discount Tickets - Monterey Bay Aquarium Feb 20 howefortunate 1
News Autopsy: Washington girl was strangled, stabbed (Mar '10) Feb 20 south side locos13 3

Santa Cruz Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Santa Cruz Mortgages