Brookdale Inn fire called 'suspicious'

Full story: Santa Cruz Sentinel

Fire investigators said the cause of Tuesday's fire at the Brookdale Inn has not been determined but called the blaze that torched 20 apartments, four vehicles and displaced 65 people 'suspicious.' The county red tagged the inn on Wednesday, Boulder Creek Fire Chief Kevin McClish said.
Comments
1 - 20 of 51 Comments Last updated Apr 15, 2014
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Felton resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

I don't understand why the owner "could not be reached" this whole time...it's HIS place!! This fire is looking more and more sketchy. I heard also from someone right near the lodge that the fire started with 2 loud explosions. Anyone else hear that?

Sounds like either meth gone bad or something intentional.(Or the ghost, naturally)

“How's your Karma?”

Since: Apr 08

Boulder Creek

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

Suspicious????? No!!!! Really????? WOW, what a surprise.....NOT!
SOS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

You. Don't. Say.
Hmmm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

Brookdale was one of the really cool pieces of rural Santa Cruz history left. sad to see any part of it destroyed .. I hope this wasnt fraud.. But it seems a little to suspicious, and convenient, with the rest of the county on fire at the moment..

If the owners cant afford to keep the place going,I hope they would just put it on the market, and let someone else take it before they ruin a really cool historical property!
Fran

Oakley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

The Sentinel could have made a better attempt to explain just exactly how they perceive that the event is suspicious.

Just sayin'....
brookdale

San Lorenzo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

The apartments were crappy 50's work. No lose there. Plus, the place burns every so many years. So many things are not code its not even funny.

But when theres vacancy issue... Owner has to do something about the cashflow or punt at some point.
Ben Lomond resident

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

If the owners set the Brookdale fire, thank goodness they had the sense to do it while the fire fighters were still in the area in force. If they'd set this valley on fire, the owner would have more to worry about than just arson.

Since: May 08

Hayward, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

This type of activity cuts across all ethnicities and nationalities.
Our world

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

Maybe the residents of the valley were tired of the owner housing all the child molestors in his apartments and decided to get rid of their housing.
John

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

Now, mind, you, I have not been to The Lodge since it changed hands, but one quick walk around the exterior shows an appaling number of code problems, namely rat's nest wiring jobs with all sorts of splices, not secured or in electrical boxes, and in some cases even exposed to weather.

A fire in this place is not at all surprising given all of the visible safety violations. Arson would not be necessary if someone wanted to torch this place.....just give it some time and it will probably go POOF all on its own.
just a coincidense

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

Sanjiv asked someone i know just a week before this happenned who did the electrical after the last fire in 07.....that is suspicious enough.
Aptos Parent

Mountain View, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

I find it very sad that 3 year old was there with only a 10 year old supervising. Thank goodness those kids got out ok.
Aptos Parent

Mountain View, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

Oops, I guess a 12 year old was there too, but that's still too young to watch a 3 year old.
just a coincidense

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

Oh I forgot to mention that all the termite damage is covered by new stone pillars and such.
Not to mention the non viromental(sp) digging by the river.
What is really going on here?
John

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

just a coincidense wrote:
Sanjiv asked someone i know just a week before this happenned who did the electrical after the last fire in 07.....that is suspicious enough.
Well, I don't know.......I think ANYONE running that place would be asking alot of electrical questions ALL THE TIME; as of two years ago the electrical system in that place was downright frightening; anyone new coming in would be rather focused on these conditions. Suspicious? No.
The Gilberts

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

We stopped by thier other bar in Woodside. it is really cute and quaint. Please go visit and tell them to help Jimbo out at the Lodge now that he has lost everything. he is a Icon in it's self.
local shmocal

Farmington, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

All that place needed was some love. NOT someone looking for money. Seems like everything they had going up there was to make a buck.
Lots more going on behind the scenes than most people know.
ms smith

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

I wish the Sentinel would give more information regarding the fire being 'suspicious'. If they don't have enough info to support this theory, they should hold off on printing this article.
BCreekian

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

John wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I don't know.......I think ANYONE running that place would be asking alot of electrical questions ALL THE TIME; as of two years ago the electrical system in that place was downright frightening; anyone new coming in would be rather focused on these conditions. Suspicious? No.
Sounds like you work there. Know something? There is someone working there named John......
Rita

Fremont, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

local shmocal wrote:
All that place needed was some love. NOT someone looking for money. Seems like everything they had going up there was to make a buck.
Lots more going on behind the scenes than most people know.
Brookdale certainly needs love, but you can't save the place without considerble amount of money. Only those that can make it profitable have any chance of saving it. You think sitting in the parking lot and chanting om will make it magically repair itself? Get some balance of nostalgia and reality.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Santa Cruz Forum right now

Search the Santa Cruz Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Buzz stalks as "Gargling John Colby" 42 min Do Henry 5
Santa Cruz police offer Slurpees for conscienti... 1 hr Grandview 10
Archive for Jim Spring posts (Dec '13) 2 hr Do Henry 702
Does Aaron Whiting have a trust fund? 2 hr NONA 280
DBS is still insulting Aaron Whiting & Whitings... 4 hr rofl 5
Santa Cruz homeless shelter continues director ... 4 hr Donny B 24
Caught "Donny B" Lying again 4 hr Donny B 20
•••
•••