Brookdale Inn fire called 'suspicious'

Brookdale Inn fire called 'suspicious'

There are 51 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Aug 19, 2009, titled Brookdale Inn fire called 'suspicious'. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Fire investigators said the cause of Tuesday's fire at the Brookdale Inn has not been determined but called the blaze that torched 20 apartments, four vehicles and displaced 65 people 'suspicious.' The county red tagged the inn on Wednesday, Boulder Creek Fire Chief Kevin McClish said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Felton resident

United States

#2 Aug 19, 2009
I don't understand why the owner "could not be reached" this whole time...it's HIS place!! This fire is looking more and more sketchy. I heard also from someone right near the lodge that the fire started with 2 loud explosions. Anyone else hear that?

Sounds like either meth gone bad or something intentional.(Or the ghost, naturally)

“How's your Karma?”

Since: Apr 08

Boulder Creek

#3 Aug 19, 2009
Suspicious????? No!!!! Really????? WOW, what a surprise.....NOT!
SOS

Mountain View, CA

#4 Aug 19, 2009
You. Don't. Say.
Hmmm

Locust Grove, VA

#7 Aug 19, 2009
Brookdale was one of the really cool pieces of rural Santa Cruz history left. sad to see any part of it destroyed .. I hope this wasnt fraud.. But it seems a little to suspicious, and convenient, with the rest of the county on fire at the moment..

If the owners cant afford to keep the place going,I hope they would just put it on the market, and let someone else take it before they ruin a really cool historical property!
Fran

Antioch, CA

#8 Aug 19, 2009
The Sentinel could have made a better attempt to explain just exactly how they perceive that the event is suspicious.

Just sayin'....
brookdale

Kelseyville, CA

#9 Aug 19, 2009
The apartments were crappy 50's work. No lose there. Plus, the place burns every so many years. So many things are not code its not even funny.

But when theres vacancy issue... Owner has to do something about the cashflow or punt at some point.
Ben Lomond resident

Capitola, CA

#10 Aug 19, 2009
If the owners set the Brookdale fire, thank goodness they had the sense to do it while the fire fighters were still in the area in force. If they'd set this valley on fire, the owner would have more to worry about than just arson.

Since: May 08

United States

#11 Aug 19, 2009
This type of activity cuts across all ethnicities and nationalities.
Our world

United States

#12 Aug 19, 2009
Maybe the residents of the valley were tired of the owner housing all the child molestors in his apartments and decided to get rid of their housing.
John

San Francisco, CA

#13 Aug 19, 2009
Now, mind, you, I have not been to The Lodge since it changed hands, but one quick walk around the exterior shows an appaling number of code problems, namely rat's nest wiring jobs with all sorts of splices, not secured or in electrical boxes, and in some cases even exposed to weather.

A fire in this place is not at all surprising given all of the visible safety violations. Arson would not be necessary if someone wanted to torch this place.....just give it some time and it will probably go POOF all on its own.
just a coincidense

Redwood City, CA

#14 Aug 19, 2009
Sanjiv asked someone i know just a week before this happenned who did the electrical after the last fire in 07.....that is suspicious enough.
Aptos Parent

Berkeley, CA

#15 Aug 19, 2009
I find it very sad that 3 year old was there with only a 10 year old supervising. Thank goodness those kids got out ok.
Aptos Parent

Berkeley, CA

#16 Aug 19, 2009
Oops, I guess a 12 year old was there too, but that's still too young to watch a 3 year old.
just a coincidense

Redwood City, CA

#17 Aug 19, 2009
Oh I forgot to mention that all the termite damage is covered by new stone pillars and such.
Not to mention the non viromental(sp) digging by the river.
What is really going on here?
John

San Francisco, CA

#18 Aug 19, 2009
just a coincidense wrote:
Sanjiv asked someone i know just a week before this happenned who did the electrical after the last fire in 07.....that is suspicious enough.
Well, I don't know.......I think ANYONE running that place would be asking alot of electrical questions ALL THE TIME; as of two years ago the electrical system in that place was downright frightening; anyone new coming in would be rather focused on these conditions. Suspicious? No.
The Gilberts

Redwood City, CA

#19 Aug 19, 2009
We stopped by thier other bar in Woodside. it is really cute and quaint. Please go visit and tell them to help Jimbo out at the Lodge now that he has lost everything. he is a Icon in it's self.
local shmocal

Farmington, MN

#20 Aug 19, 2009
All that place needed was some love. NOT someone looking for money. Seems like everything they had going up there was to make a buck.
Lots more going on behind the scenes than most people know.
ms smith

Santa Cruz, CA

#21 Aug 19, 2009
I wish the Sentinel would give more information regarding the fire being 'suspicious'. If they don't have enough info to support this theory, they should hold off on printing this article.
BCreekian

Redwood City, CA

#22 Aug 19, 2009
John wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I don't know.......I think ANYONE running that place would be asking alot of electrical questions ALL THE TIME; as of two years ago the electrical system in that place was downright frightening; anyone new coming in would be rather focused on these conditions. Suspicious? No.
Sounds like you work there. Know something? There is someone working there named John......
Rita

Fremont, CA

#23 Aug 19, 2009
local shmocal wrote:
All that place needed was some love. NOT someone looking for money. Seems like everything they had going up there was to make a buck.
Lots more going on behind the scenes than most people know.
Brookdale certainly needs love, but you can't save the place without considerble amount of money. Only those that can make it profitable have any chance of saving it. You think sitting in the parking lot and chanting om will make it magically repair itself? Get some balance of nostalgia and reality.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A Westfalia is better than a POS Toyota 3 hr Donny B 2
News Heroin Highway - Map of heroin traffic in Santa... (May '10) 8 hr Tourist in Anaheim 26
News Bristol Palin says abstinence best path for teens (May '09) Mon Minimum wage 2,651
News To combat crime, Santa Cruz council members con... (Jul '10) Mon you want 61
djt Dec 2 MAGA 1
News PVUSD ranks 15 among state's 97 districts that ... (Feb '08) Nov 29 Daddy 20
News Fidel Castro: Cuba doesn't fear dialogue with US (Apr '09) Nov 26 Fredo 29

Santa Cruz Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Santa Cruz Mortgages