Cops and Courts blog: Marquis sentenc...

Cops and Courts blog: Marquis sentenced to seven years for killing Arizona teen at bonfire

There are 31 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Dec 8, 2008, titled Cops and Courts blog: Marquis sentenced to seven years for killing Arizona teen at bonfire. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Mateo Marquis, the man convicted of killing an Arizona teen at a beach bonfire in Live Oak in June 2007, was sentence to seven years by Judge Samuel Stevens on Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mr Lee

Oakland, CA

#3 Dec 8, 2008
Mr Lee this is unreal only 7 years o my God.

sad day in our town.

or we just dreaming
to extreme

San Francisco, CA

#4 Dec 8, 2008
You get a lot more time for lesser crimes.
Just sayin

Jackson St Forest, CA

#7 Dec 8, 2008
AFTER a fight, he KILLS someone with a knife, attacking him from behind?
Saw him crying on the news. Boo hoo, indeed.
He got lucky with 7 years.
Lucas

AOL

#8 Dec 8, 2008
It would appear that Judge Samuel Stevens has little regard for human life. He could have given this punk 12 years but now he will get out in a little over 5 years to stab someone else.
Wayne

Santa Cruz, CA

#9 Dec 8, 2008
SEVEN years for killing someone, our lives are getting real cheap. You can get a seven year loan on a car or truck. Imagine how citizens in Iraq feel ?
Boulder Bob

United States

#10 Dec 8, 2008
Lucas wrote:
It would appear that Judge Samuel Stevens has little regard for human life. He could have given this punk 12 years but now he will get out in a little over 5 years to stab someone else.
Everyone says Judge Stevens cares a lot about his own son. He's short-time now, being replaced by Ariadne Symons on Jan. 1, IIRC. This was a tag-team effort, since it was Judge Almquist who ruled it wasn't murder.
no justice

Santa Cruz, CA

#11 Dec 8, 2008
samual stevens needs to be fired! my brother beat up a guy in a bar and got 6 years. no justice.
burial to the neck

Santa Cruz, CA

#12 Dec 8, 2008
only if the entire seven years is served-buried to the neck----the whole fff.king time...

otherwise they should just string the puke up
burial to the neck

Santa Cruz, CA

#13 Dec 8, 2008
guess its go easy time on punks-u usta get more time for pot-under Nixonian rule-gramps told me you'd get ten years for a bag of grass.

oh big deal-its only a human life- maybe just make murder an infraction-write ya up on the beach n let ya go.
Boulder Bob

United States

#14 Dec 8, 2008
Judge Almquist got an ordinance passed making it illegal to sip a beer at the beach when he was a county supervisor, but he's got a real soft spot for stabbers.
burial to the neck

Santa Cruz, CA

#15 Dec 8, 2008
only cryin over doing a little hard time n miss his punkass murderer loving buds-but a short timer-like a check forger-
ya may do more time over s forged check.

aint crying for the victim-no way- no how....
burial to the neck

Santa Cruz, CA

#16 Dec 8, 2008
only "hope" is the puke blows it n gets more time while in-or simply gets wasted by other cons....
burial to the neck

Santa Cruz, CA

#17 Dec 8, 2008
he was a "really good kid" they said of the killer-the victim? ah n yawn who cares?-hes dead-he wont get out in 5
jonny metro

United States

#18 Dec 8, 2008
simba kenyatta is a bonehead first he said he didnt win the election because santa cruz voters are racist and now he thinks this punk should get probation for stabbing the guy to death.who's the racist i bet if the stabber was white and the victim was black

good old simba would be calling for the death penalty.
Anthony Robinson

United States

#19 Dec 8, 2008
Wow. Anthony Robinson must be one heck of a lawyer.
Only seven years for a gutless murder in defense of sexual harrassment! The O.J.'s of the world will be hiring YOU, Mr. Robinson!
Stephen Arnold

Hayward, CA

#20 Dec 9, 2008
Hey, at least Symons got a sentence out of this case. Dunlap's handling got it thrown out, remember?
kassie arner

Tempe, AZ

#23 Dec 11, 2008
i think that he should have gotten what he deserved a full 12 years but when you think about it, as soon as this coward is out, he will be watched like a hawk! one mistake and he is back in for the rest of his life! i really hope this happens!! he will never get to bring tommy back so why should he get the chance to live life happy. my whole family miss's tommy so much and his family does not deserve to have to live like this. we all love and miss you tommy may you and your family be forever in everyones prayers.
IN MATEOS DEFENSE

San Jose, CA

#24 Dec 17, 2008
EVERYBODY HAS A RIGHT TO THEIR OPINION ON THIS SITUATION BUT I'M ONE OF MATEO'S GOOD FRIENDS AND I GREW UP WITH HIM SINCE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. THE SAD TRUTH IS THAT MATEO WAS THE LAST PERSON OUT OF OUR GROUP OF FRIENDS THAT WOULD EVER DO ANYTHING LIKE THIS! MATEO NEVER MEANT TO KILL ANYBODY!!! IN CASE EVERYONE DIDN'T KNOW KIDS GET STABBED IN SANTA CRUZ COUNTY ALL THE TIME!!!! AND FOR ANYONE WHO DOESN'T KNOW, HE WAS OUT NUMBERED IN THIS FIGHT BY 6-14 PEOPLE!! MATEO ONLY STABBED HIM ONCE AND ALTHOUGH WE ALL KNOW THAT WAS STUPID HE DEFINITELY DID NOT INTEND TO TAKE A LIFE!! THE HORRIBLE REALITY OF THIS SITUATION IS THAT NOT ONLY ONE LIFE HAS BEEN TAKEN HERE...2 HAVE..BECAUSE I CAN GUARANTEE THAT EVEN THOUGH HE "ONLY" GOT 7 YEARS, HE WILL COME OUT A DIFFERENT MAN FROM HIS PRISON INFLUENCES....SO INSTEAD OF BAD MOUTHING MATEO, PRAY FROM HIM, JUST LIKE YOU PRAY FOR TOMMY PAZ'S FAMILY THAT HE OVERCOMES THIS HORRIBLE TRAGEDY...
Yep

San Jose, CA

#25 Dec 17, 2008
jonny metro wrote:
simba kenyatta is a bonehead first he said he didnt win the election because santa cruz voters are racist and now he thinks this punk should get probation for stabbing the guy to death.who's the racist i bet if the stabber was white and the victim was black
good old simba would be calling for the death penalty.
I agree with Metro. By the way--Free Mumia!! right, Simba?
Yep

San Jose, CA

#26 Dec 17, 2008
IN MATEOS DEFENSE wrote:
EVERYBODY HAS A RIGHT TO THEIR OPINION ON THIS SITUATION BUT I'M ONE OF MATEO'S GOOD FRIENDS AND I GREW UP WITH HIM SINCE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. THE SAD TRUTH IS THAT MATEO WAS THE LAST PERSON OUT OF OUR GROUP OF FRIENDS THAT WOULD EVER DO ANYTHING LIKE THIS! MATEO NEVER MEANT TO KILL ANYBODY!!! IN CASE EVERYONE DIDN'T KNOW KIDS GET STABBED IN SANTA CRUZ COUNTY ALL THE TIME!!!! AND FOR ANYONE WHO DOESN'T KNOW, HE WAS OUT NUMBERED IN THIS FIGHT BY 6-14 PEOPLE!! MATEO ONLY STABBED HIM ONCE AND ALTHOUGH WE ALL KNOW THAT WAS STUPID HE DEFINITELY DID NOT INTEND TO TAKE A LIFE!! THE HORRIBLE REALITY OF THIS SITUATION IS THAT NOT ONLY ONE LIFE HAS BEEN TAKEN HERE...2 HAVE..BECAUSE I CAN GUARANTEE THAT EVEN THOUGH HE "ONLY" GOT 7 YEARS, HE WILL COME OUT A DIFFERENT MAN FROM HIS PRISON INFLUENCES....SO INSTEAD OF BAD MOUTHING MATEO, PRAY FROM HIM, JUST LIKE YOU PRAY FOR TOMMY PAZ'S FAMILY THAT HE OVERCOMES THIS HORRIBLE TRAGEDY...
"kids get stabbed in Santa Cruz County all the time!" What a stupid statement. That it happens 'all the time' should somehow, someway, make it okay! It does not happen "all the time" and kids certainly don't die 'all the time'. From all the reports I (and the rest of us) have read, he's a problem child who was sorry only because he got caught. Yes, I'll pray for him-- pray he gets killed in prison.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Why won't ColbyLoon explain 22+ years as a welf... (Jun '14) 4 hr Woof 31
Are the ColbyHOGS hoarders? 16 hr Woof 13
DBS: Stop stalking and I will employ you (Sep '13) May 27 Woof 174
Get a job ya whackjob (Jun '15) May 26 Woof 47
News Cops and Courts: May 15, 2016: Homeless man ran... May 26 Woof 10
Best Website Ever (Jun '15) May 25 Woof 14
News Bristol Palin says abstinence best path for teens (May '09) May 25 jeremy75 2,649
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Santa Cruz Mortgages