New judge takes a seat on Santa Cruz County Superior Court bench

One of two new judges begins work at the Santa Cruz County Superior courthouse today. Full Story
Just Facts

Santa Cruz, CA

#4 Aug 16, 2010
While I often disagree with the local Judgeship on matters of substance - like going way too easy on drug users/dealers and gang bangers, low bail, etc...

I thank these two judges for their years of service to the community and welcome in the new!
s c snark santa cruz

Santa Cruz, CA

#5 Aug 16, 2010
Well just 6 more years and YOU are out. I hope you do well Judge Judy, I mean Judge Johnny. You have so much to learn about criminal law. However you are being WAY overpaid to learn as you go. Wow, just think you might someday get a real felony case! Always remember your platform while buying your current position, you said, "All people are spiritual beings". Remember make sure you pay off your family members for those loans on your campaign. Judges are suppose to be impartial and non-bias. Hey judge you are nothing but a politician motivated by self interest.
Soquel Local

Salinas, CA

#6 Aug 16, 2010
Maybe these two won't continue the Santa Cruz tradition of "catch and release" and will deport all illegals brought before them in their courts.
Really

San Jose, CA

#7 Aug 16, 2010
s c snark santa cruz wrote:
Well just 6 more years and YOU are out.
You are dreaming. Or hallucinating. When was the last judicial election where a sitting judge up for re-election faced an opponent?

1994, when Kathleen Akao challenged appointed judge George Kovacevich - and whipped him but good!

There is a gentleman's agreement in the legal community that once seated, no one will oppose.

Thank god Kathleen Akao was no gentleman. She was a darned good judge - RIP

We could use more like her. Imagine if someone with good experience and track record of community involvement (not volunteering to coach their kid's team or doing other parental tasks) were to run against one of our rocket scientists like Almquist... he'd lose in a landslide.
Front row

United States

#8 Aug 16, 2010
Don't forget to bring your raincoat to court.
Its a Crime

San Bruno, CA

#9 Aug 16, 2010
A 60-year-old elected to an office that will provide him with a full pension and health benefits for life! This should not be allowed. Before any of you say that he is above going after the paltry salary of a SCJ, you need to know that I know people who have sought and achieved judgeships for that very reason. You retire in a good social position, with excellent benefits, and a guaranteed income (not dependent on the ups and downs of the economy, as is a 401k). The few years he will be on the bench will be much easier ones than when he worked in the private sector. It's a comfortable way to cycle down into retirement.
Local Girl

Newark, CA

#10 Aug 16, 2010
With any luck, Almquist will retire now.
railroaded

Foster City, CA

#11 Aug 20, 2014
Almquist is a crook.I worked for someone who "bought" almost when he was a supe. Almquist has gone back on his word, not followed the letter of the the law, and he is easilly swayed by the brown nosing attorneys who are duplicitous and who with almquists help, break the law. It is deplorable how almquist ruins lives.

Since: May 14

Location hidden

#12 Aug 20, 2014
Just Facts wrote:
While I often disagree with the local Judgeship on matters of substance - like going way too easy on drug users/dealers and gang bangers, low bail, etc...
I thank these two judges for their years of service to the community and welcome in the new!
Maybe he'll do something about the high end felony crowd here walking around as "Respectable" people--like the

1. Wash narcotic money in real estate racket---10 year-federal felony
2.Profession Fraud---up to 10 year federal if done in a organized manner--does not really get prosecuted here.
3.Serial killer std spreaders-does not matter who they are-or if their "from" here etc.----intentional murderer-is a murderer no matter what etc.--Murder 1 2 3 --up to a life in state prison- multiple.
4.Wannabe racketeering---stealing social service funds etc.---church bank accounts-community and state college funds and services-----10 federal sentence.
5. Fecal e-coli spikers or intentional contaminators in the take out food-etc.--up to -life in state prison---murder 1 2 3.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Aryan Nations recruiting again in northern Idaho (Apr '09) 44 min Commander Bunny 375
New homeless overnight shelter concept pitched ... 6 hr Common Sense 3
Grand jury indicts 13 alleged members of San Jo... (May '08) 11 hr MrNUTCASE 107
Laurent St. Santa Cruz-Public DRSA walkaround p... 16 hr WSCA 7
The latest from Dr John Colon Colby Wed whittlezman 10
Indoor block party aims to create sense of Sant... Jan 28 DRSA solved 37
Arrests in Hayward shooting that left 2 teens dead (May '10) Jan 27 DaisyAvila 24
Santa Cruz Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Santa Cruz People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:31 pm PST