Local participation in census ran high in hard-to-reach areas

This year's census workers have a lot of stories to tell about getting residents to participate. Full Story
More free campaign ads

San Jose, CA

#1 Aug 29, 2010
Sentinel article on census offered a long quote from their endorsed Senate candidate Luis Alejo early in this piece, plus ran the quote in bold print above the piece in printed version. Another free campaign ad for a Sentinel preferred candidate, like the article a pages down from this one offering a long list of upcoming Sam Farr appearances around the area without once even using the word "campaign." Pretty slick, Sentinel.
What a laugh

AOL

#2 Aug 29, 2010
I had to laugh at the way Alejo described an obstacle to the census being "Anti-immigration sentiment ran high, and Watsonville residents who ar not documented citizens may have greater fear of filling out government forms."

First, Alejo used the semantic tactic of avoiding the clarifying word 'illegal" anywhere in that statement. Secondly, why should illegals have a lot to fear when Alejo led to move to reinforce Watsonville's status as a sancuary city last year?
Steve Scarich

Portland, OR

#3 Aug 29, 2010
Sorry...don't mean to be picky, but this article is incomplete, if not misleading. I was a supervisor for the 2010 Census, and I believe that your percentage figures refer to the people who returned their census forms during the initial mail return in April. After that, there were several operations that followed up on those who did not return their forms, and eventually received numbers from those initial non-responders. Therefore, the ultimate return rate is much higher than quoted in this article (well over 95%).
Left Out of Story

San Francisco, CA

#4 Aug 29, 2010
Now those "undocumented" numbers will be used to comprise our political districts. This allows candidates like Alejo to be elected with far fewer votes than candidates whose districts are comprised of legal citizens who can vote. Two of the past three speakers in our state were elected to office by the fewest number of voters in the house. You'd thinks this would constitute a voting rights violation.

This is the other side of the story. The Sentinel has only made the census out to be a way to collect more gov't money, money that will support social services for illegal immigrant families. What a perverse incentive.
El Gringo

Santa Cruz, CA

#7 Aug 29, 2010
What a waste of space this story is. We have a census every 10 years to count the population and ONLY count the population and look what it has turned into. A microcosm of what has gone wrong in this country.Too intrusive but SHEOPLE still answer questions they do not have to. Number of people in household-end of story!
the original curious cat

San Jose, CA

#8 Aug 29, 2010
census takers and census participants should be rewarded with meth.

METH!

CENSUS!

METH-MATH!

COUNT ALL THE METH-MOUTHS!
DBS

San Jose, CA

#9 Feb 23, 2013
the original curious cat wrote:
census takers and census participants should be rewarded with meth.
METH!
CENSUS!
METH-MATH!
COUNT ALL THE METH-MOUTHS!
Looooon Eeeee!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The stigmata of being a wannabe in TBSC- 7 min JOHN STIGMATA 16
Temperatures expected to drop to near freezing ... 26 min not John Colby 3
Take Back Santa Cruz counts 6,770 discarded nee... 29 min not John Colby 13
SCPD Sgt Loran 'Butch' Baker Molested Nine Women? (Jul '13) 16 hr Get a job ColbyLOSER 309
Robert Norse--READ THIS-- (Oct '13) Thu JC squats to pee 113
Buzz stalks as "John Colby" (May '14) Thu JC squats to pee 162
ColbyLOSERS have stooped to a new low. Thu John Colby 9
Santa Cruz Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Santa Cruz People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Santa Cruz News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Santa Cruz

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]