John Linley Frazier found dead in prison

Full story: Santa Cruz Sentinel

A man convicted of murdering a family in their Soquel hills home in 1970 died in prison last week and prison officials are investigating his death as a suicide.

Comments (Page 4)

Showing posts 61 - 80 of87
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Soquel Resident

El Cerrito, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

Judged:

The Liberal vs NeoCon rants are so disrespectful and really have nothing whatsoever to do with this whole tragedy. I was an Aptos teen-ager whose whole world changed on that day. My father worked with the coroners office. We began locking our doors and viewing everyone with suspicion. The reign of Frazier, Mullin, Kemper had begun. But really our collective rage and fear pales next to what Lark Ohta and the Cadwallader family have endured for decades. I sincerely hope that Frazier's suicide may at last provide some closure for their suffering. Killing is wrong any way you look at it. And though Mr. Frazier may have been found 'sane', I think we can agree that no sane person would do what he did. It seems that he suffered his own demons for these many years and found his own way out. Bless you Lark, your family is so proud!
SC TAXPAYER

Marina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

Lucas wrote:
What about the biggest mass murderer of our times? Janet Reno. She got away with it. How soon we forget....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waco_Siege
Are you serious? The feds didn't start the fire, the whack jobs inside did. You gun nuts really are frightening with your anti-government rhetoric. All they had to do at Waco was walk out the door instead of starting a massive firefight. The Davidians got what they deserved.
Colleen

Foster City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

It is difficult to read some of the e-mails that have been posted as a result of this man's death. I personally welcome the end of this saga. No one except those who were personally involved will remember the agony that family members have experienced. I was left without an aunt that loved me dearly. I lost an uncle to alcoholism that could not cope with the lose of his wife. I watched my grand-mother live with grief and lose over many years. My dad lost a sister. Can you imagine how he felt when he went to court and saw the murdered for the first time? My cousin lost a mother when she was young, and experienced a life which would have been much different if her mother had been allowed to live. The doctor's mother committed suicide after years of grief.

Not only did these loved ones lose their lives, but many lives were changed as a result of these murders.

Writing Teacher

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

Colleen, Melinda, Michelle -- my deepest sympathies to your family. I can only imagine the devastation this tragedy wrought on your family.
Michelle Goodrich

North Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

Writing Teacher wrote:
Colleen, Melinda, Michelle -- my deepest sympathies to your family. I can only imagine the devastation this tragedy wrought on your family.
Speaking for all of us we thank you. My Aunt was a wonderful person. Melinda lost her mother when she was so young this just brings it all back. Thank you, Michelle
Local

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

Melinda Cadwallader wrote:
I believe that Jennifer Squires didn't do her research since I emailed her months ago, and knew I exsisted. The DA didn't do his research either. I should have been notified just like Lark was. I guess my mother was nothing to Santa Cruz! I loved Doctor Ohta and his family because they were part of mine. I lived in his house while he was on vacation, and know this story better than most of you. I'm happy this jerk is gone, but right now, I'm more sad that this has to bring up old feelings. How would some of you feel if it happened to you? Don't judge what you don't know! I've been quiet long enough... I deliver this paper and proud of it, but right now, I'm hurt and angry. I'm a victim too!
I'm at a loss for words, there is no way shape or form that I could even imagine what you went through, what you are still going through. As I thought about the Ohta family, I did also think of Mrs Cadwallader..and how there wasn't much printed about your Mom.
Some don't realize the extent of crimes like these, all the people that were/are affected by it. You have every right to be angry and hurt. There is nothing that I can do or say to take some of the pain away! Total strangers like me think of her. Its good that you and your Family has responded to this, just to remind everyone that your Mother and the Ohtas aren't the only victims...the ones left behind Families..friends!
David

Pacifica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

loweroceanlocal wrote:
<quoted text>
suggesting the legalizing of drugs does not necessarily mean that you mean to condone or promote their use, although i do like the occasional joint. the fact is more people die every year because drugs are illegal. that is why they made alcohol legal after a failed attempt at prohibition. prohibition fostered a gang environment, with gangsters fighting over alcohol turf, much the way they do over drug turf today. if drugs were legalized today, people would not die as often because of them.
Just because you can use this stuff responsibly, it does not mean that everyone can. not all of us are created equal in this area. Just look at the power of drugs. They can bring down men and women who were at the top of their fields and making a fortune. They did not care. They were willing to trade all that they had achieved and their reputations for the next hit.
These powerful substances can creep into someone's life and soon they are in charge and not the person.
They could have a truckload at the end of my street and be giving it away free. I still would not partake. Knowing my personality, I am so afraid of what I might do. I loved the feeling too much when I had major surgery and was being given Demerol. It was so scary it felt so good.
Pulitzer Squires

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

Melinda Cadwallader wrote:
I believe that Jennifer Squires didn't do her research since I emailed her months ago, and knew I exsisted. The DA didn't do his research either. I should have been notified just like Lark was. I guess my mother was nothing to Santa Cruz! I loved Doctor Ohta and his family because they were part of mine. I lived in his house while he was on vacation, and know this story better than most of you. I'm happy this jerk is gone, but right now, I'm more sad that this has to bring up old feelings. How would some of you feel if it happened to you? Don't judge what you don't know! I've been quiet long enough... I deliver this paper and proud of it, but right now, I'm hurt and angry. I'm a victim too!
We are very used to poor reporting from "Pultizer" Squires. She has repeatedly crafted stories that are just that....stories! There are never any hard hitting reports that delve into or question the system here. Embedded, I think, is the status quo. I guess the Senile can't afford anyone that could be more thorough.
David

Pacifica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

Sanity_Rules wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you seem to believe in the holy drivel, what about this quote:
"An eye for an eye"?
Seems to me that some people are not worth any sort of investment in their life. That is the harsh reality. If you can not find it in your morals to throw the switch I will gladly step up...
FYI- An eye for an eye was a very limiting concept when it was proposed by Christians. Up till that time, when a man had crossed you, you had the right to kill him. By limiting the punishment, the church was taking the first step towards turning the other cheek. i am still struggling with this concept. If the person on the receiving end of the mercy thinks that the giver is just too soft, there will be more crimes. If they take it the way that it was given and change their life and extend it to others, then it is a good thing. so much of society today looks upon it as a weakness in our system and they just can't wait to go back out to the flock of sheep just waiting to be trimmed once again.
Definition Please

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

Soquel Resident wrote:
The Liberal vs NeoCon rants are so disrespectful and really have nothing whatsoever to do with this whole tragedy. I was an Aptos teen-ager whose whole world changed on that day. My father worked with the coroners office. We began locking our doors and viewing everyone with suspicion. The reign of Frazier, Mullin, Kemper had begun. But really our collective rage and fear pales next to what Lark Ohta and the Cadwallader family have endured for decades. I sincerely hope that Frazier's suicide may at last provide some closure for their suffering. Killing is wrong any way you look at it. And though Mr. Frazier may have been found 'sane', I think we can agree that no sane person would do what he did. It seems that he suffered his own demons for these many years and found his own way out. Bless you Lark, your family is so proud!
Could you please straighten out for all of us what the definition of "Neocon" is?

Do you know?
Definition Please

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

loweroceanlocal wrote:
<quoted text>and wackenhut is not a construction company, they are a prison corporation. i suggest you do some real studying and not off of one of the neocon sites.
What is a "neocon"....have you any clue?

Definition please!
Guest-2

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2009

According to urbandictionary.com --
Neocon - I've posted definition #3; the first 2 seem a bit more like "rant".
3. Neocon - Neoconservative.
Originally used to describe left-wingers who crossed the floor, neocons are on the authoritarian right, rather than the traditionally conservative libertarian right. They tend to be very pro-war and adopt the mentality of "We're better than you and we know it."
--It's interesting to see at least the first page of (7) proposed definitions.
Nic

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2009

loweroceanlocal wrote:
<quoted text>
excuse me?? i am very well informed on the prison system in america?? are you?? i did several research papers on the prison industrial complex while in college......what did you do your research paper on??? can you show me information contrary to what i said in my original post?? i would be glad to look at the sources of your information.
Are you living in the real world fella? In the real world throwing your education around to attempt to impress and intimidate others who you obviously view as being beneath you does not earn you any respect.

What you need is a taste of the real world down here in Southern California. Centrally located in one of our more violent gang communities.

They would slice you up (or shoot you in the back) quicker than you could say, "I'm on your side!"

Now you have a nice day and be safe!
loweroceanlocal

Boulder Creek, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2009

David wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because you can use this stuff responsibly, it does not mean that everyone can. not all of us are created equal in this area. Just look at the power of drugs. They can bring down men and women who were at the top of their fields and making a fortune. They did not care. They were willing to trade all that they had achieved and their reputations for the next hit.
These powerful substances can creep into someone's life and soon they are in charge and not the person.
They could have a truckload at the end of my street and be giving it away free. I still would not partake. Knowing my personality, I am so afraid of what I might do. I loved the feeling too much when I had major surgery and was being given Demerol. It was so scary it felt so good.
none of this has anything to do with my point, which is to curb the violence by taking away the illegality of it. the fact that drugs are illegal obviously does nothing to prevent people from taking them. all prohibition does is create and perpetuate an incentitive for a culture of underground gang violence fueled by the greed of the gangsters.
loweroceanlocal

Boulder Creek, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2009

Nic wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you living in the real world fella? In the real world throwing your education around to attempt to impress and intimidate others who you obviously view as being beneath you does not earn you any respect.
What you need is a taste of the real world down here in Southern California. Centrally located in one of our more violent gang communities.
They would slice you up (or shoot you in the back) quicker than you could say, "I'm on your side!"
Now you have a nice day and be safe!
born and raised in east oakland.i come from a gang environment, and currently live in one. what does this have to do with the fact that there are plenty of folks who are not violent that are in prison, and the fact that people make huge profits off of people being in prison....let me answer that, my friend. absolutely nothing. yes i am proud of my education and i think anyone who has an opportunity to get an education and doesn't is a fool. since you can go to school anywhere in america for free or on a loan, if you are not educated it is your own fault unless you are disabled. i do not feel the need to impress anyone, and do not feel that an education in itself is that impressive, since everyone can have one. as for intimidation, that is crazy...how can you be intimidated by a post on a topix board. now go to school dear, it is good for you.
Melinda Cadwallader

San Lorenzo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2009

loweroceanlocal wrote:
<quoted text>
born and raised in east oakland.i come from a gang environment, and currently live in one. what does this have to do with the fact that there are plenty of folks who are not violent that are in prison, and the fact that people make huge profits off of people being in prison....let me answer that, my friend. absolutely nothing. yes i am proud of my education and i think anyone who has an opportunity to get an education and doesn't is a fool. since you can go to school anywhere in america for free or on a loan, if you are not educated it is your own fault unless you are disabled. i do not feel the need to impress anyone, and do not feel that an education in itself is that impressive, since everyone can have one. as for intimidation, that is crazy...how can you be intimidated by a post on a topix board. now go to school dear, it is good for you.
I don't know where you were educated, and this really isn't the place for this comment, but.....
I don't see that you write like an educated person. Sorry....
Melinda Cadwallader

San Lorenzo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2009

Local wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm at a loss for words, there is no way shape or form that I could even imagine what you went through, what you are still going through. As I thought about the Ohta family, I did also think of Mrs Cadwallader..and how there wasn't much printed about your Mom.
Some don't realize the extent of crimes like these, all the people that were/are affected by it. You have every right to be angry and hurt. There is nothing that I can do or say to take some of the pain away! Total strangers like me think of her. Its good that you and your Family has responded to this, just to remind everyone that your Mother and the Ohtas aren't the only victims...the ones left behind Families..friends!
Thank you for your kind words. You don't know how much it means to me. Thank you for thinking about my Mom also... she was a wonderful person and mom. I miss her very much. Out of all the bad that has happened, I was born with her strong will and I'm a good person. I also found my old friend Lark, whom was my friend and looked up to her. It's time for us to catch up and heal our pain. I miss my friend, her brother Tag. I miss everyone else also, but Lark and Tag, were closest to me. The Ohta's and Cadwalladers were a family.

Thank you to all of you that mentioned my family in their posts.
Nic

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2009

loweroceanlocal wrote:
<quoted text>
I am amused you assume I do not have a degree. And your reasoning for this is ...?

Frankly, you are an embarrassment to anyone with a degree in higher education who does not feel the need to look on anyone as "less than", who might not possess this for one reason or another. Your feelings of insecurity and low self esteem are superficially revealed by your words.

I will not state my personal experiences in life because you see, we are all anonymous here. We can all claim we are anyone doing anything. An attempt for someone to state they have a degree or not, as well as they "come from a gang environment, and currently live in one", is certainly meaningless and not possible to prove unless your true identity is revealed.
This is something anyone with an average human intelligence would be aware of, would you not agree?

In addition, your statement regarding nonviolent criminals is fascinating. I take from your words you feel it is wrong for nonviolent criminals to be incarcerated in a prison? I invite you express those feelings to all those who have had their financial security stolen from them by any of these nonviolent criminals which you seem so concerned about. What would you suggest, we slap them on the hand and send them on their way?

Furthermore, I would say that your opinion of "the word" is so very incorrect. The power of it is far reaching, long lasting and would have a multitude of descriptive words to categorize it. Anyone with a college education would be extremely aware of this fact.

In closing, I would like to extend my deepest sympathy to all friends and family members whose lives were touched by the tragedy of this senseless crime.
Slums

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2009

Nic wrote:
<quoted text>
I am amused you assume I do not have a degree. And your reasoning for this is ...?
Frankly, you are an embarrassment to anyone with a degree in higher education who does not feel the need to look on anyone as "less than", who might not possess this for one reason or another. Your feelings of insecurity and low self esteem are superficially revealed by your words.
I will not state my personal experiences in life because you see, we are all anonymous here. We can all claim we are anyone doing anything. An attempt for someone to state they have a degree or not, as well as they "come from a gang environment, and currently live in one", is certainly meaningless and not possible to prove unless your true identity is revealed.
This is something anyone with an average human intelligence would be aware of, would you not agree?
In addition, your statement regarding nonviolent criminals is fascinating. I take from your words you feel it is wrong for nonviolent criminals to be incarcerated in a prison? I invite you express those feelings to all those who have had their financial security stolen from them by any of these nonviolent criminals which you seem so concerned about. What would you suggest, we slap them on the hand and send them on their way?
Furthermore, I would say that your opinion of "the word" is so very incorrect. The power of it is far reaching, long lasting and would have a multitude of descriptive words to categorize it. Anyone with a college education would be extremely aware of this fact.
In closing, I would like to extend my deepest sympathy to all friends and family members whose lives were touched by the tragedy of this senseless crime.
In addition, what you might not know, is that Lower Ocean Street is an illegal alien, heroin and meth addict, gang, drunken vagrant, and whore filled area. It is a slum and an embarassment. It also is the sight that many see when they come over and try to go to a beach, not knowing they can bypass the filth and go elsewhere.

Most if not all of the inhabitants of this ghetto are the dregs of society.
David

Pacifica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2009

loweroceanlocal wrote:
<quoted text>
none of this has anything to do with my point, which is to curb the violence by taking away the illegality of it. the fact that drugs are illegal obviously does nothing to prevent people from taking them. all prohibition does is create and perpetuate an incentitive for a culture of underground gang violence fueled by the greed of the gangsters.
Welcome to California. We are on the verge of creating one of the lowest crime rates in history. There will be no more crimes in California because the State Senate just voted to release 27,000 prisoners from the criminal justice system. The Democratic controlled Assembly will probably follow suit. A great way to reduce the number of people in jail and to reduce the crime rate is to change the law as to what a felony really is. This is exactly what the Democrats are doing now. I hope this makes you happy. No laws equal no crimes. I just love that mentality. We are not talking about trying to create a society with better standards but one in which there is no crime because the laws have been changed to exclude felonies. Example of new such law. Car theft will no longer be a felony. This will affect the poor very much since the valuation on this new law is $2,500. how many rich people do you know that drive a $ 2,500 car ? Again, I say. Welcome to California !!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 61 - 80 of87
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Santa Cruz Forum right now

Search the Santa Cruz Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Archive for Jim Spring posts 7 min Super Troll Jim Spring 255
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 4 hr Interpert 199,116
cfabsc 5 hr fear anger hate suffering 439
SV Teacher "Buzz" still stalking topix users 6 hr DBS 174
Take Back Santa Cruz/Greiner Archive (Sep '13) 6 hr DBS 572
Archive for violent threats by TBSC members (May '13) 6 hr DBS 140
TBSC Super Troll Samantha Olden 6 hr Karl 82
•••
•••
•••
•••

Santa Cruz Jobs

•••
•••