Santa to Daniels: 'You want coal? You...

Santa to Daniels: 'You want coal? You get coal'

There are 45 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Dec 6, 2007, titled Santa to Daniels: 'You want coal? You get coal'. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

An environmental activist dressed as Santa Claus delivered a large stocking full of coal to Gov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Right on

Columbus, OH

#48 Dec 7, 2007
Piker_George wrote:
Coal is simply energy. In Indiana it is dependable energy. The trick is to extract the energy in a responsible way. Clean Coal Technology such as the Edwardsport plant promises to do this.
The Global Warming hoax is all about transfer of wealth or the capbility to produce wealth from the idustrialized nations to developing nations via the pugnacious Star Wars bar scene characters of the UN. Look at the web site www.germanwatch.org and relish in the realization that on the international scene the U.S. is seen as 55'th out of a ranking of 56 countries as the most polluting. More environmentally concious are: India(5); Iran(34); China(40); and Russia(50). Only Saudi Arabia ranks worse than the U.S. in Germanwatch. This is the garbage that is driving the worldwide push to hobble our economy and that our homespun environmentalists are swallowing.
This is why the US won't sign the so called Kyoto Protocol; Australia changed their ranking by Germanwatch just by signing a document? Oh yeah, I have a hard time believing that, with the industry boom in China, they somehow improved their ranking.
Carol A Overland

Red Wing, MN

#49 Dec 7, 2007
Disappearing comments? No problem, here we go again:
Yeah, they're just disappearing succinct comments that expose the lie of IGCC. No problem, here we go again:

Cost of IGCC is unreasonable, here's the specifics from Minnesota's Mesaba Project.
http://legalectric.org/weblog/1699/
It's $96-104/MWhr, and low estimate of carbon capture and sequestration cost is another $50/MWhr (nevermind that DOE says in EIS for Mesaba that it is NOT happening). This is from the MN Dept. of Commerce analysis in Excelsior Energy's Mesaba Project docket. The testimony is linked in the link above.

Wind/gas combination (wind,with gas back up if wind isn't blowing when power is needed) is option Delaware chose, and the SDEIA report showing that it's least cost is linked in my post above too. In MN, Xcel chose wind with hydro backup, and in AZ, they chose Concentrated Solar with gas backup. There are reasonable options in the here and now. Some states are weighing all of these, and they are making good choices that we can live with.
---
Oh, as to "gasification is not unproven technology," look at the record of Wabash River - Technical Report here:
http://www.osti.gov/bridge/servlets/purl/7875 ...
Or search "Iowa" and "coal gasification" and "water contamination" and look at all the superfund sites, and don't forget the mess in Beulah, North Dakota at the synfuel plant. Coal gasification has proven to be a mess, historically and currently.
Right on

Columbus, OH

#50 Dec 7, 2007
Carol A Overland wrote:
Disappearing comments? No problem, here we go again:
Yeah, they're just disappearing succinct comments that expose the lie of IGCC. No problem, here we go again:
Cost of IGCC is unreasonable, here's the specifics from Minnesota's Mesaba Project.
http://legalectric.org/weblog/1699/
It's $96-104/MWhr, and low estimate of carbon capture and sequestration cost is another $........ Oh, as to "gasification is not unproven technology," look at the record of Wabash River - Technical Report here:
http://www.osti.gov/bridge/servlets/purl/7875 ...
Or search "Iowa" and "coal gasification" and "water contamination" and look at all the superfund sites, and don't forget the mess in Beulah, North Dakota at the synfuel plant. Coal gasification has proven to be a mess, historically and currently.
wow! that's a lot to take in. where was this discussion happening that it "disappeared." sounds much more interesting and full of information than the ones we've been having.
I cant believe how

Greens Fork, IN

#51 Dec 7, 2007
Well lets see, looks like if the greens had their way then duke will just not build anything and keep running a more polluting power plant. And get less power out of it.
Dont make any sense to me.

Since: Dec 07

Petersburg, IN

#52 Dec 8, 2007
Some numbers I found in DOE for 2006-2007:

Percent total US power generation by fuel Coal 45%, Nat. Gas 29%, Wind/Solar a combined 0.6%(even with wind showing a 47% increase from last year).

As to cost we find residential cost in Delaware at $130.00/MWhr and Arizona, where the sun shines all day long, is $96/MWhr as opposed to Indiana's residential rate of $80/MWhr using mostly coal. Since the "Green" agenda is really the total elimination of coal, how might we ask do you replace 45% of the nation's generation with fuels other than coal and not wreck the total energy picture?

Another thing to consider in coal producing regions is that much of the cost of producing, processing and utilizing coal stays in the region as value added to the economy. If you build a gas pipeline from South America to the U.S. how much incremental value is added through that process? Hugo would love us even more!

I will come clean (pun intended) in this discussion and divulge I am a coal guy but really if we are talking greenhouse gas let's go nuclear utilize an expedited permit process, federal guaranteed subsidies and liability limits and exercise emminent domain powers to dispose of the spent fuel problem.

Have a great Christmas and I wish you many lumps of coal. Beware, Santa and I are best buds.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Claus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New study shows shortage of rental properties i... 20 hr Sapphire2464 1
Mike kerstiens (Sep '14) Jun 8 chris 2
keith hurst May '15 wondering 1
Keith Hurst May '15 lolz 1
Santa's Sluts (Jun '14) May '15 Shedidittomine 2
Santa Claus Music Thread (Dec '13) May '15 Musikologist 6
Dawn mix May '15 bobo 4
More from around the web

Santa Claus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE