Santa Clara faces growing pet problems

Santa Clara faces growing pet problems

There are 13 comments on the Silver City Sun-News story from Jan 31, 2009, titled Santa Clara faces growing pet problems. In it, Silver City Sun-News reports that:

Officials with the village of Santa Clara are reaching out to residents for help dealing a growing animal problem.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Silver City Sun-News.

former resident

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Jan 31, 2009
I lived in

I lived in SC for a few years. There is a resident that walks arount the town, and he is everyone's friend. One Sunday afternoon I was driving down one of the streets by the church and saw3 this young man being attacked by four dogs. There were people in their yards just watching...in fact,I went to one yard where a man was standing and pleaded for him to call someone or help me...well, his way of helping me was to let me use his watwehose to wash off the young man's wounds on his hand. I finally took him home and treated his wounds and called his family. The next day I went to the office and told them what had happened. desciribed the dogs, and the vicinity they were in. Nothing was ever done, and the dogs were still there. I' love dogs, but maybe with alot of consistency alot of fines. you guys control this.
Dave

Silver City, NM

#2 Jan 31, 2009
It's no wonder why Santa Clara is considered the trash pit of Grant County. 90% of the people who live there are complete losers. You made a good choice to move out.
Robert T

AOL

#3 Jan 31, 2009
Folks, get the pets neutered. Animal control, make the impounds public but require neutering to get them back.
Wings

Santa Fe, NM

#4 Jan 31, 2009
Dave wrote:
It's no wonder why Santa Clara is considered the trash pit of Grant County. 90% of the people who live there are complete losers. You made a good choice to move out.
Out of curiosity Dave, what is your definition of "a complete loser"? Does that make the other 10% "complete winners"?

I think that Santa Clara has been used as a dumping ground for unwanted animals by those other than Santa Clara residents- for example by Silver City residents who don't take responsibility for their animal issues. However, I am not suggesting that Santa Clara be let off the hook.

Grant County as a whole should be ashamed. People treat the animals bad and they treat one another sometimes worse.

Comes down to personal responsibility I guess. Or lack thereof.
Ski

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Jan 31, 2009
Like "Wings" above, I too see this matter primarily as one of irresponsibility on the part of the animal's owner. I'd go one more, though: inconsideration for neighbor and community.

The real question, though, is what to do to correct this undesired behavior. Seems to me that mandatory animal ownership education for offenders should be at the top of the list, but in and of itself, I doubt that will serve to stop the abuse Sam Conn's sad story reports on.

I'm inclined to also support formal punishment that includes LOTS of community service time.

Animal owners have responsibilities towards other members of the community as well as towards their pets, but if someone doesn't want to recognize and abide by those responsibilities, then the municipality must enforce the law to ensure that owners meet these responsibilities.
sad

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Feb 1, 2009
problem is not with the pet, but the owners.the
policy of compliance rather than hit em in the wallet is the real factor here.You have to make a believor otta the pet owners,we don't have money for a 30 pack this wk end cause we had to pay
our fines.Believe me it will make owners responsible
for their pets.enforce the law!Slap em on the hand and at sundown their pet will be let loose to pack up again.we have the same attitude problem in Siver City.Change the owners attitude, only one way to do that.I feel for the animal control people, because the court doesn't back them up.I don't own a pet, don't have too, everyone eleses pet is running loose in my front yard.With the current rabies in foxes problem,how many poeple will be undergoing painfull rabies treatment.Judges get with the program!
citizen

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Feb 1, 2009
I hope Mr Salgado has vaccinated spayed/neutered the dogs he has taken to his house!! If he hasn't Grant county area will have the same problem Santa Clara is dealing with at this time.
Dave

Silver City, NM

#8 Feb 1, 2009
Wings... I think your logic is a little distorted. My claim that 90% of the Santa Clara residents were complete losers was not meant to be taken literally. I was obviously stating my feelings that a great majority of the residents whom live there are trashy. Yet, I think you knew that all along. But my problem with your previous statement (masquerading in the form of a question) lies in the error of your logic. Stating that 90% of the residents were complete losers, you deducted that this would make the other 10% were complete winners. However, this is "completely" (here the word is to be taken literally) wrong. Unless you are completely dull I think you can figure out how your logic was in error.

Additionally, do you really believe Silver City residents would drive all the way to Santa Clara to dump their pets? Do you really believe that these people who lack such responsibility for their pets would care whether it was Santa Clara or just a few miles down the road?

Yet I would certainly agree that Silver City definitely has their fair share of neglectful and irresponsible pet owners. Pitbulls shot by police officers in two separate occasions, quite recently, would certainly attest to that.
Wings

Cerrillos, NM

#9 Feb 1, 2009
Dave- my attempt at sounding as dull and distorted as you was obviously successful.

The problem I have is with your comments on the "trashy" people in Santa Clara . Do you have any idea how much it hurts those that live in Santa Clara and are not "trashy"? I have a friend that lives out there that catches grief from nearly everyone in Silver City because of where she lives. Is that fair? There are some really good folks that live out there.

Don't take my word for it- ask any of the animal control folks and they will tell you about the dumping of animals in the county.

"There are lies and there are damn lies and then there are statistics." - Mark Twain
beth r

New Boston, NH

#10 Feb 4, 2009
I used to live in Silver. I come originally from the east coast. I was horrified by the way people in the silver area (some not all) treat animals. I saw puppies chained out and being kicked. I saw wild rabid dogs. I had a pit bull puppy stolen right out of our house. Most likely for fighting! My roommate owned the puppy and was devastated. So much corruption it is just sad. I would like to have a place there again someday but WAY out in the mountains away from the city. I also used to feed about 30 stray cats that lived in an abandoned garage. So many people there have no respect for animals. You never see the likes of that in the east. Sure we have issues but there are lessons to be learned here. Free Neutering would help. More enforcement / more animal control people/ big fines for abuse and neglect. We can go on and on but will anyone help?
resident from santa clara

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Feb 8, 2009
Dave wrote:
first of all who are you to judge my village wher I grew up and still live. What makes you so perfect to say we are losers. I Have a college degree, married with children and were not losers.
far away

Klingerstown, PA

#12 Mar 28, 2010
resident from santa clara wrote:
<quoted text>
first of all who are you to judge my village wher I grew up and still live. What makes you so perfect to say we are losers. I Have a college degree, married with children and were not losers.
I still visit santa Clara, and enjoy the welcome i get from people i grew up with and live there.
Yet i live faraway and yes all other places have issues.yet i live by what i was taught growing up. "if you have nothing good to say dont say Nothing" try it Dave and watch how much more life will get better for you. just trying to help you out and educating you some.
tibs

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Mar 31, 2010
I think that Dave has low self esteem of him self and wants we the people of the mining area to be his pissing post. So Dave you keep your snobby self in Silver and better then that move your sorry ass back to where you come from.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Clara Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Former deputy Michel Aguirre back in custody 20 hr guest 2
News New Silver City ordinance takes aim at excessiv... (Jan '11) Sep 15 Cookie123 13
News Letters to the editor (Aug '08) Aug 31 floatbeta 4
News Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Jul '17 Tony 630
News Experience Victorian Christmas tonight at Silve... (Dec '09) Jun '17 AmPieJam UncleSam 5
News Twenty-five car pile-up leaves six people dead Jun '17 Budda Gojkovich 2
News Fiesta Latina heats things upJune 19th, 2017 Jun '17 I love the southwest 1

Santa Clara Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Santa Clara Mortgages