Google spinoff to test truly driverle...

Google spinoff to test truly driverless cars in California

There are 11 comments on the 680News story from Tuesday Oct 30, titled Google spinoff to test truly driverless cars in California. In it, 680News reports that:

The robotic car company created by Google is poised to attempt a major technological leap in California, where its vehicles will hit the roads without a human on hand to take control in emergencies. The regulatory approval announced Tuesday allows Waymo's driverless cars to cruise through California at speeds up to 65 miles per hour.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 680News.

o7y6jyhj45lkhrgj rhejk

Terre Haute, IN

#1 Wednesday Oct 31
Here we go again...

"It will save so many lives!"
"What a time to be alive!"
"We'll be able to work while in our cars!"

Blah, blah, blah...

I guess we're one step closer to having our keys away. Someone somewhere who is sitting at a big fancy cherry desk in their leather high back chair is salivating at all of it.

What a disgusting situation this is.
Warrior

Buffalo, NY

#2 Wednesday Oct 31
I hope this project lays off a whole bunch of people. Especially the idiots who thought it could never happen to them.
Ben

United States

#3 Thursday Nov 1
Wasn't it in AZ where the "driverless" car killed a lady? Everyone should read up on MIT's "Moral Machine". Will the car run over the group or the individual?
vt5kihgu45khrjek

Terre Haute, IN

#4 Thursday Nov 1
Ben wrote:
Wasn't it in AZ where the "driverless" car killed a lady? Everyone should read up on MIT's "Moral Machine". Will the car run over the group or the individual?
Yep, but it's happened in other places, too. Of course, the marketing machine working for these players do everything they can to prevent the public from learning about those events because heaven forbid the public be suspicious of this technology and everything it's going to take away from people.

It's a bad moon rising.
Ben

United States

#5 Thursday Nov 1
vt5kihgu45khrjek wrote:
<quoted text>

Yep, but it's happened in other places, too. Of course, the marketing machine working for these players do everything they can to prevent the public from learning about those events because heaven forbid the public be suspicious of this technology and everything it's going to take away from people.

It's a bad moon rising.
I read an article the other day "The Moral Machine". People don't realize HOW these cars programed. You are correct, it is a bad moon rising.
None

El Paso, TX

#6 Thursday Nov 1
o7y6jyhj45lkhrgjrhejk wrote:
Here we go again...

"It will save so many lives!"
"What a time to be alive!"
"We'll be able to work while in our cars!"

Blah, blah, blah...

I guess we're one step closer to having our keys away. Someone somewhere who is sitting at a big fancy cherry desk in their leather high back chair is salivating at all of it.

What a disgusting situation this is.
Nah, heís doing what needs to be done you whiney, littlebitbches.
Solarman

Ada, OK

#7 Friday Nov 2
Ben wrote:
It was one of "those" news items, where the car cam was played, over and over and over.... on the news. A couple of things were revealed. The woman crossing the street was no where near a cross walk, there was no street light next to where she crossed, and this woman was wearing a lot of black.

Now according to the "investigation", this car has sensors on the front that DID detect this woman J-walking in black clothing in a 45 MPH zone. There was supposed to be an early warning beep or something. It didn't happen because "SOMEONE" turned off the annoying beep to make the "drive" less "jerky". Apparently there are tumbleweeds that randomly blow across the road, this was making the alert go off and the car slow. So much for AI and safety. IF one can turn this type of thing on and off, then what's stopping someone from hacking one or many autonomous cars and turning off sensors causing "accidents". Who do YOU hold responsible? How would you find them after the fact? What happens to YOUR insurance when such things happen? Is this the beginning of a Nation of no fault insurance? Autonomous cars, the ACA of driving in the U.S.A..
Ben

United States

#8 Friday Nov 2
Solarman wrote:
<quoted text>It was one of "those" news items, where the car cam was played, over and over and over.... on the news. A couple of things were revealed. The woman crossing the street was no where near a cross walk, there was no street light next to where she crossed, and this woman was wearing a lot of black.

Now according to the "investigation", this car has sensors on the front that DID detect this woman J-walking in black clothing in a 45 MPH zone. There was supposed to be an early warning beep or something. It didn't happen because "SOMEONE" turned off the annoying beep to make the "drive" less "jerky". Apparently there are tumbleweeds that randomly blow across the road, this was making the alert go off and the car slow. So much for AI and safety. IF one can turn this type of thing on and off, then what's stopping someone from hacking one or many autonomous cars and turning off sensors causing "accidents". Who do YOU hold responsible? How would you find them after the fact? What happens to YOUR insurance when such things happen? Is this the beginning of a Nation of no fault insurance? Autonomous cars, the ACA of driving in the U.S.A..
I'm with you, the questions keep coming with no answers. I believe the responsibility will end up becoming the manufacture. That's many law suits down the road. The Moral Machine article I read really is something people should read. It's scary. AI will be programed by "social standings" in the region. If we treasure the young, AI, will choose to spare the young, over someone older, in the event of a "pending" accident. That's scary.
Solarman

Ada, OK

#9 Friday Nov 2
Ben wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm with you, the questions keep coming with no answers. I believe the responsibility will end up becoming the manufacture. That's many law suits down the road. The Moral Machine article I read really is something people should read. It's scary. AI will be programed by "social standings" in the region. If we treasure the young, AI, will choose to spare the young, over someone older, in the event of a "pending" accident. That's scary.
Reminds me of the movie, with Charleton Hesston, when someone realizes the "different" types of "food" in an overcrowded society are recycled "dead". "Soilent Green are people!"
None

El Paso, TX

#11 Friday Nov 2
Solarman wrote:
<quoted text>Reminds me of the movie, with Charleton Hesston, when someone realizes the "different" types of "food" in an overcrowded society are recycled "dead". "Soilent Green are people!"
Soylent green. Yummy! Canít wait.
Me NoGo

Bella Vista, AR

#12 Thursday Nov 8
Cellif diving car LOL. RIP!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Clara Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Facebook vs Twitter (Dec '17) Mon Frank 359
News Prop. 6 Campaign to Repeal CA Gas Tax Kicks Off... Sun Richie 5
Ron Fleishman is the World's Most Colorful Digi... (Aug '17) Sun Richie 304
Ron Fleishman is the World's Most Underrated Ph... (Sep '15) Sun Richie 592
Pay Taxes to TURMP Sun Richie 3
News As Prop. 10 looms, some landlords raise the rent Nov 10 Bad Americans 2
Trunt & Bolsonaro Cuties Nov 2 happy voater 1

Santa Clara Jobs

Personal Finance

Santa Clara Mortgages