Judge Monaghan - Somebody Please Run ...

Judge Monaghan - Somebody Please Run Against Him as a Write-in!

Posted in the Santa Clara Forum

Jeff Ritter

Klamath Falls, OR

#1 Mar 27, 2012
Monaghan is up for re-election and is unopposed, meaning after the primary, if there are no contenders, he will automatically be reinstated.

His recent decision to prevent Kaleidascope from manufacturing a multiple DVD player is so fundamentally wrong and contrary to personal freedom and the climate for small businesses in general, he cannot be allowed to continue in his position.

His action would be the same as if the music association banned through court action the manufacture of mp3 players. If that had happen, we would not have seen the chain reaction of companies developing everything from PDA technologies, to smart phones, and content web sites. Apple, among them, would have likely failed.

The judge could have interpreted content control as a freedom of speech via distribution issue. What good would a newspaper be if you could not clip articles, save them, or hand the paper to someone else to read something you thought was important? You paid for a DVD, or paid to rent one. That is content you should own, no matter what form it is in. If I buy a DVD and it gets damaged, the movie studios won't send me another. They make me purchase it again. THAT IS WRONG. If you buy a DVD and hand it to someone else to watch, that is ok. If you buy a DVD for worker safety training, and let multiple workers watch it in turn, that is ok. What's the difference between serving the training to multiple computers through a network and forcing everyone to view it the old way? There is no difference for the movie producer...the same number of people are watching it. However, the business faces huge losses in time, productivity and profitability for being banned from changing the way the same content is handled.

Another case where the multinational, massive corporations and superpacs manipulate the system to the distress of others.

See: http://johnsciacca.webs.com/apps/blog/entries... -

See: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/...

Please send a clear message. Don't let your personal freedom for using the content you pay for be taken away! Start locally by kicking Monaghan off the bench!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Clara Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Seaside sees first homicide of the year (Nov '08) 9 hr Wconner 8
Facebook vs Twitter 9 hr Glass Edit 55
Ron Fleishman is the World's Most Colorful Digi... 9 hr Glass Edit 147
Ron Fleishman is the World's Most Underrated Ph... (Sep '15) 10 hr Glass Edit 439
News 'Undocumented' but inspiring (Nov '12) Mon Paul Syntor 115
News Santa Clara's Wilson's bakery closes after 85 y... (Oct '06) Mon Dress Down 66
Mary Day Rolison (Oct '11) Jan 10 jinks 3

Santa Clara Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Santa Clara Mortgages