Victim of Chelmsford I-495 crash gave...

Victim of Chelmsford I-495 crash gave back to his community

There are 22 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Jul 26, 2008, titled Victim of Chelmsford I-495 crash gave back to his community. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

Charles "Barry" Butzer could not have assumed a midsummer downpour might cost him his life.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Chelmford

Claremont, NH

#1 Jul 26, 2008
Rest in peace
rad grandad

Lowell, MA

#2 Jul 26, 2008
ditto, it seems he leaves behind a great legacy, it's sad to learn of him in this terrible manner. I am confident from what I've read here from family members and the article that those who were raised and influenced by him will carry on his exceptional values and outlook towards life.

I'm glad the sun took the time to print this, my heart goes out to his family.

“Harm None”

Since: Jul 08

Chelmsford by way of New York

#3 Jul 26, 2008
RIP you were a good man.
Tyng47

United States

#4 Jul 26, 2008
He does sound like an excellent husband, father and grandfather. As they say,"Why do bad things happen to good people? And, Only the good die young." May he rest in peace. May your beautiful memories of times shared together comfort you. Hugs to Tar, his guardian angel.
UCONN alum

Bethel, VT

#5 Jul 26, 2008
"Charles "Barry" Butzer could not have assumed a midsummer downpour might cost him his life."

A downpour didn't cost him his life. he lost his life because of two overly aggressive speeders who had no regard to other people on the road.
prayers

Lowell, MA

#6 Jul 26, 2008
UCONN alum wrote:
"Charles "Barry" Butzer could not have assumed a midsummer downpour might cost him his life."
A downpour didn't cost him his life. he lost his life because of two overly aggressive speeders who had no regard to other people on the road.
you do not know that... Let the mans good life he lead, heal your bad thoughts.
Billerica Man

Dracut, MA

#7 Jul 26, 2008
Reminds you that you never know when the end could be coming. Driving down the road and its over in an instant. Life is fragile.

“Hard Working NOLA dude”

Since: Jan 08

Lowell Massachusetts

#8 Jul 27, 2008
Thank you to the Lowell Sun, Nancy and Charles..You will always be a Hero Charlie....God bless...Forever and ever
sonia gaspar

Chelmsford, MA

#9 Jul 27, 2008
rest in peace.
Kathy Pardue

Arlington, VA

#10 Jul 27, 2008
Dear Nancy,
Bill worked for Barry when we were all stationed together at West Point. We will always remember his constant smile and his great sense of humor.

Love to you and your family,
Kathy Pardue
LOWELL ROCKS

Burlington, MA

#11 Jul 28, 2008
So sad, Rest in Peace. Good bless your family!
PETER O

New York, NY

#12 Jul 28, 2008
i JUST briefly met barry within last 2 years a fine gentleman. Sympathy to his family praying for comfort, may the God of all comfort, comfort your hearts
Phil Pons

Newport News, VA

#13 Jul 28, 2008
Barry was a good man and Classmate. Just saw him with Nancy at Christmas time. He spent a great deal of time assuring my wife that "new Knees" were a great thing!
Dianne and I send our best and our prayers to Nancy and the family.
Dave Noake 62

Lake Wales, FL

#14 Jul 28, 2008
Good fun times with Barry at West Point will always be remebered Life is fragile and not a dress rehersal- Barry lived it to the fullest from what I have read Our thoughts are with your family- Be Thou At Peace Butz
Thank you Lowell Sun for the coverage and the very respectful account of Barry's contributions
ryanandrews

Littleton, NH

#15 Jul 28, 2008
he was a great man, i have been around him camping and other things like fishing. i miss him very much i wish that i had to been able to go fishing with him this year camping at paposse pond but i didnt.
Ronald Pinkham

Gloucester, MA

#16 Jul 28, 2008
so sorry for your loss.i drive thet highway everyday.to acton and back to lowell and let me tell nobody cares.i see people on there cell phones driving in the high speed lane.putting makeup on reading the paper for gods sake.people dont understand that when your driving at higt rate of speed all it takes is one mistake and it's over.i was on i-495 n bound at that time it was not the rain it was some young girl on her cell phone not paying attention to driving.he looks like he was a very nice person like i said sorry for you loss.
AGREE

Lowell, MA

#17 Jul 28, 2008
why put the blame on anyone... an accident is an accident... from the sounds of things Barry would not want this. Lets honor his family and the person he was and only post well wishes to the families involved. What a great man and great family. I pray you get through this and the other families heal as well.
Westminster

Fitchburg, MA

#18 Jul 29, 2008
What a great legacy! We all should remember what is important in life- "to live as if each day were our last". Charles did just that, I hope we all live a life that was as full as his.
R.I.P.

"You'll be a constant reminder in my life to live life to the fullest".

God Bless
Capazzi

Iraq

#19 Jul 29, 2008
My name is SGT Kevin Capazzi from Hartsville, SC. I am a US Army medic, currently serving my third tour in Iraq. Barry Butzer was my very close, and very loved uncle. Husband of 47 years to my mother's sister, Nancy Butzer. Though my family is deeply saddened by this terrible tragedy, none of us are pointing fingers or directing any blame. Our prayers go out to those involved and their families. Barry was a beautiful man. A West Point graduate, retired army colonel, and Vietnam veteran. He was active in his church and community, and never went a day without showing how much he loved his friends and family. The last thing he would want is for his death to bring pain and fear to anyone. Our family will mend after this horrible event, and we send love and forgiveness to the girl involved and her family. Barry would've wanted it that way. We love you, Barry.
Matt

Cary, NC

#20 Jul 29, 2008
I was on the Lee Senior football team while Coach Butzer was there and he has always been revered as one of the best coaches and best people I have ever had the pleasure to know. I can remember joking around with him on the bus to away games, team dinners, and church; he had a wonderfully bright spirit and personality. My deepest sympathies go out to his family and close friends, but we can all be assured that he is in a better place now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sanford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pure White and Pure Black Wolf Hybrid Puppies F... (Jan '12) Wed happy 69
Looking for Tracy Read Feb '16 SKY 1
Review: Brick City Primary Care (Dec '09) Jan '16 DeeAnn Rivera 13
Car break-ins Jan '16 Newby n town 1
Bad Landlord Nov '15 DSH 2
Debate: Abortion Debate - Sanford, NC (Feb '12) Oct '15 Citizen 2
Debate: Obama-Economy - Sanford, NC (Jun '12) Oct '15 Citizen 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sanford Mortgages