Trayvon Martin Shooting Death Sparks ...

Trayvon Martin Shooting Death Sparks Outrage on Social Media

There are 66318 comments on the Wall Street Journal story from Mar 22, 2012, titled Trayvon Martin Shooting Death Sparks Outrage on Social Media. In it, Wall Street Journal reports that:

Social media has put the spotlight on the story Trayvon Martin , an unarmed African-American teenager who was shot to death last month by a neighborhood watch captain in Florida.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Wall Street Journal.

xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#50553 Jan 30, 2013
Cousin DuPrees Cousin wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you calling Martin a 'suspect'?
Had he broken any laws?
Yes, it's called a Suspicious Person and police get calls like that all the time. I know because I listen to my police scanner frequently.

According to Zimmerman, he witnessed a person walking around at night in the rain aimlessly in a hoodie. Yes, that's suspicious. Zim also stated he didn't recognize the individual as resident there. He was correct. He stated Martin was acting "high or something" again, THC was found in Martin's blood.

Seems Zim was correct on all counts. Very observant for not being a police officer.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#50554 Jan 30, 2013
<quoted text>
The "Perp" was advised by 911 dispatch to "Stand down" and not follow Martin, yet he continued"
And where do you have proof of this?
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#50555 Jan 30, 2013
<quoted text>
The Perp? The perp didn't go home because he had the great equalizer, ie. the gun and felt he owns the entire state of Florida and he would decide who belongs there, he would decide who can walk the streets, unmolested and unaccosted and who could not. That is why we are having this discussion. Because the perp decided to stalk, accost and shoot an unarmed kid, because he believed he COULD.
You're right, the perp should have just gone home or called police or both.
Correct. But he didn't do that, in fact, didn't even leave the area. The shooting took place nearly at the point Zim lost sight of Martin. In other words, Martin stuck around while Zim finished his phone call to dispatch.

The prosecution will attempt to make the case that Zim hunted down Martin which was nearly impossible at the time because he was talking to police. Martin as we know hid between the row houses. The question to the jury will be why? Why did Martin stay right there instead of returning to the apartment he was staying at?

The answer is simple: Martin planned that attack.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#50556 Jan 30, 2013
<quoted text>
Person, "Defending" him/her self must be in fear of imminent death and/or Great bodily harm, and even then can only return "Equal and Opposite Force."
Can of Tea doesn't cut it.
Why didn't Martin use that can of tea as a weapon? Seems if he were attacking Zim, he would have facilitated the ONLY weapon he had available.
By the autopsy reports and Zims injuries, it seems Martin didn't need a weapon of any kind. Not one scratch found on Martin's body besides his knuckles (from assault) and the bullet wound.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#50557 Jan 30, 2013
do unto others wrote:
<quoted text>
Cops would have to identify themselves as cops, otherwise even a tackle would be illegal. And I think you're forgetting, Zimmerman never identified himself as 'security'.
According to Zim's account, he never had the chance.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#50558 Jan 30, 2013
do unto others wrote:
<quoted text>
You just further proved my point. IF Martin had been a thug, punk, criminal, whatever...he would have been armed, whether it was legal for him to be so or not. Because criminals don't care if they're legally holding a gun. SMH
That might be true if he was at his home residence. He wasn't. He was staying as a guest in the community. Not many secret places to hide a gun when you are given a spare room and suspended from school because of narcotics possession and possible articles of theft.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#50559 Jan 30, 2013
do unto others wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind of like you have no proof of Martin attacking Zimmerman?
Since nobody knows what actually did happen, I'm going by what I think makes the most sense.
And since when is pinning someone on the grass the only way to restrain someone? Grabbing and holding onto one's jacket is also restraining.
Which you have absolutely no proof of either.

Zimmerman's extended injuries are proof positive he was not harmed by Martin using self-defense. The difference between self-defense and assault is a very thin line. Once you defend yourself from an attacker, you stop at the point he is disabled from further attack or you can escape to safety. You don't pin him down, beat his head into the cement while your supposed attacker is screaming for help. That's not self-defense.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#50560 Jan 30, 2013
<quoted text>
Why no blood? Did you ever have a nosebleed? Why was Martin on his back? Somebody roll him over? Or did someone shoot him on the ground, then roll him over to make sure the bullet didn't go through?
These are all questions Zimmie will need to answer.
No, these are questions investigators (who released Zim) will have to answer. It is they who determined that Zim acted in self-defense.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#50561 Jan 30, 2013
zazz wrote:
<quoted text>
You should look up definitions before you attempt to educate someone else. I'm sure the poster knows you are ignorant and ignored your post.
Good choice too. I know the difference between self-defense and assault.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#50562 Jan 30, 2013
<quoted text>
Head wounds bleed profusely, as do injuries to the nose. Why no blood on Zimmies jacket, less than 1 Hour after shooting? That bothers me. Almost looks like Shelley sliced his head next day with a box cutter. Almost no pain in that. Didn't look bashed in at all.
That's the same claim ABC news made, and then apologized after the enhanced police video pictures of Zim's head became available where it showed clear lacerations.

Or are you trying to tell us that the police lied about his injuries, the paramedics who cleaned up his wounds lied as well? His doctor?

It's all documented including the blood on Zim's clothing. There is more than enough proof that Martin attacked Zimmerman and nothing the other way around.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#50563 Jan 30, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Key words in your reply "Because he could."
Yes he could. He was a victim of assault and battery which allows licensed concealed carry holders to use their weapon for such a purpose.
Doesn't look to me like Zimmie was the victim and it won't look that way to a jury either.

Location hidden

#50564 Jan 30, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the same claim ABC news made, and then apologized after the enhanced police video pictures of Zim's head became available where it showed clear lacerations.
Or are you trying to tell us that the police lied about his injuries, the paramedics who cleaned up his wounds lied as well? His doctor?
It's all documented including the blood on Zim's clothing. There is more than enough proof that Martin attacked Zimmerman and nothing the other way around.
Did the Paramedics clean his Jacket Ray? There was not enough blood to be from any head lacerations or nosebleeds. It just wasn't there.

Location hidden

#50565 Jan 30, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
No, these are questions investigators (who released Zim) will have to answer. It is they who determined that Zim acted in self-defense.
Seems to me there was an Officer who didn't take Zimmies story as believable and he was removed from the case. Recall that? Maybe cause Daddy was a judge?

Location hidden

#50566 Jan 30, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Key words in your reply "Because he could."
Yes he could. He was a victim of assault and battery which allows licensed concealed carry holders to use their weapon for such a purpose.
Allows them to use their weapons to protect life and property.
There was no threat to either. How many murders from 'Cans of Tea" do you estimate?

Location hidden

#50567 Jan 30, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it's called a Suspicious Person and police get calls like that all the time. I know because I listen to my police scanner frequently.
According to Zimmerman, he witnessed a person walking around at night in the rain aimlessly in a hoodie. Yes, that's suspicious. Zim also stated he didn't recognize the individual as resident there. He was correct. He stated Martin was acting "high or something" again, THC was found in Martin's blood.
Seems Zim was correct on all counts. Very observant for not being a police officer.
No he wasn't a Police Officer, was he? He couldn't be, could he?
He had a record. Theft from employer, domestic violence, Court ordered Anger Management, Termination from Employment due to Angry Agression, WHEN HE WAS A BOUNCER. Allegations of Molestation from relative. He just wasn't cop material.

Location hidden

#50568 Jan 30, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
And where do you have proof of this?
It is on the recording. Stop feigning ignorance.- 911, Are you following him?- Zimmie, "Yeah"- 911, "We don't need you to do that."
Zimmie, "OK"
But he continued, didn't he?
clear day

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#50569 Jan 30, 2013
<quoted text>
No he wasn't a Police Officer, was he? He couldn't be, could he?
He had a record. Theft from employer, domestic violence, Court ordered Anger Management, Termination from Employment due to Angry Agression, WHEN HE WAS A BOUNCER. Allegations of Molestation from relative. He just wasn't cop material.
trayvon was no angel either.
at least zimmerman wanted to make his neighborhood safer

clear day

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#50570 Jan 30, 2013
cousin just a what if question.... what if you were being pinned down and someone was beating you and for a moment you felt that person reach for your gun while saying you are going to die tonight.. wouldn't you be in fear for your life

i cant blame zimmerman for shooting his attacker

Location hidden

#50571 Jan 30, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
By the autopsy reports and Zims injuries, it seems Martin didn't need a weapon of any kind. Not one scratch found on Martin's body besides his knuckles (from assault) and the bullet wound.
NO marks on Martins knuckles that I saw in Autopsy Report or by Funeral Directors description.

Zim claimed Martin was beating his head into concrete, but witnesses say they were on the grass. Martins body was found in the grass, lying on his back, though Zim told police he shot Martin while Martin was on top of him.
So which is it? Martin was beating his head into the concrete, then they moved to the grass, or was Martin beating his head into the grass?
Doesn't much matter. Neither means Imminent Death as far as I can tell. Zimmie just cannot go around shooting people, whether he likes them or not.
clear day

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#50572 Jan 30, 2013
<quoted text>
It is on the recording. Stop feigning ignorance.- 911, Are you following him?- Zimmie, "Yeah"- 911, "We don't need you to do that."
Zimmie, "OK"
But he continued, didn't he?
well zimmermans story is that after the 911 call he was heading back to his vehicle when trayvon appeared out of nowhere and asked him if he had a problem, zim reached for his phone to call 911 and at that point he says trayvon punched him, knocking him to the ground

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sanford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kid nabber (Jul '14) Tue Concerned2 7
Sheriff Candidates Tue Phil 19
News Police: Husband shoots wife in Deltona, exchang... Jul 25 RuffnReddy 1
What About Lake Sheriff Borders? (Nov '11) Jul 25 Yep2016 861
the music thread (Apr '12) Jul 23 Musikologist 23
Dateline NBC focuses on Parental Alienation and... (May '11) Jul 23 shabradennys012 13
News Deltona looks to put 'neatness, order' out on t... Jul 23 Fitus T Bluster 3

Sanford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sanford Mortgages