Trayvon Martin Shooting Death Sparks ...

Trayvon Martin Shooting Death Sparks Outrage on Social Media

There are 66309 comments on the Wall Street Journal story from Mar 22, 2012, titled Trayvon Martin Shooting Death Sparks Outrage on Social Media. In it, Wall Street Journal reports that:

Social media has put the spotlight on the story Trayvon Martin , an unarmed African-American teenager who was shot to death last month by a neighborhood watch captain in Florida.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Wall Street Journal.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#44006 Dec 15, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
If you sell a gun to somebody, it's up to you to keep records
ah.

There you go.

Show us the law that requires you- a private seller- to do a background check there in Ohio on your sales to another private buyer.

Make sure you include the statute number, better: copy and paste it here.
Mr Citizen_1

Spokane, WA

#44007 Dec 15, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Violent crime has been decreasing since the expansion of CCW's in this country.
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2011-04-27-s...
Wrong. You are getting your "cause and effect" analysis backwards:

The Brady Bill and the Assault Weapons Ban, both of which went into effect in 1994, are responsible for the decrease in violent crime rates, which have been declining since 1991.

http://www.kc3.com/editorial/40reasons.htm
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#44008 Dec 15, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
At least I know who they are. Jealous?
lol! That's what you were led to believe, son!
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#44009 Dec 15, 2012
Chicagoan by Birth wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, is your answer? Or what else?
lol! As usual, you're clueless son.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#44010 Dec 15, 2012
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! As usual, you're clueless son.
Dee, dee, dee, dum de dumb. no answer as usual, Whata Country!!!

Since: Apr 12

Truth's Door

#44011 Dec 15, 2012
T4YOU 2 wrote:
<quoted text>You were basing you opions on media speculation early on . The killer was 20 y.o plus he did not use any weapon other than 2 handguns registered to his mother. The rife was in the trunk of her car. Indicating nothing, Maybe she put it there

Gun control freaks will think no weapons is the answer to this When in fact a plain clothed LEO ,active duty or retired could have prevented this .

Liberals think the all evil comes form the barrel of an assault rife. When in fact it is the evil in man that is the root of this problem All of the gun laws that are in effect presently are not being enforced. Perhaps. we should start enforcing existing laws before enacting more.

Bloomberg is an idiot. NY has the strictest gun laws in the country already He personally does not like guns. unless they are used to protect his azz ,of course. Then they are considered essential to his well being Major hypocrite if there ever was one
I have seen pure evil in my time , it is not a plesant sight. You may know what I mean or not doesn;t matter as long as you can accept the fact that there is
The assumption that the rifle found in the car belonged to the killer/murderer and that he put it there and/or was planning to use it is not far fetched speculation. You know, seeing what happened.

You say "a plain clothed LEO, active duty or retired could have prevented this." The fact is that it did not happen. I suppose you could say that after any such tragedy. Gun control is the partial answer. It won't prevent all such tragedies but it will prevent many. Assault weapons need to be banned. They serve no useful purpose.

I agree that we should be enforcing existing laws but they are rife with loopholes.

Mayor Bloomberg's stance on gun control has been steady and sound. Yes, he is protected by guns but so are other officials on both sides of the issue. That's not an effective argument on which to silence his stance. But maybe if he didn't have such protection his gun control stance would be different. I don't know.

Yes, evil exists in this world, the likes of many will never experience. As much of it that exists on this thread, it is nothing compared to the evil that man conjures in his heart and overwhelms others with...

Such as what happened at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#44012 Dec 15, 2012
Chicagoan by Birth wrote:
<quoted text>Dee, dee, dee, dum de dumb. no answer as usual, Whata Country!!!
lol! Keep singing to yourself son.

It compliments the talking to yourself!

Truth's Door

#44013 Dec 15, 2012
T4YOU 2 wrote:
<quoted text>Trayvon was ghetto trash Blowing him away did society a favor. Now there will be no more crimes comitted by this scumbag. No kids for a welfare queen to collect on
The world would be a better palace if all Trayvons were wasted rather than coddled
Trayvon was not a criminal. Thug Zimmerman is. There's a record to see.

Trayvon, nor his parents were on welfare. They were both hard working parents.

You must speak of Thug Zimmerman, as it is he that is the criminal. It is he that collected welfare. And it is he that has his hand out seeking help.

And it is also Thug Zimmerman whose parents have been coddling him. The sooner he gets behind bars the safer our society will be. We don't need Thugs walking are streets accosting our children and killing them.

Do not confuse the facts. I'll help you out every time you do.

Oh, by the way, you're a piece of sh!t.

I call 'em like I see 'em.

Truth's Door

#44014 Dec 15, 2012
Buffalo Bill wrote:
<quoted text>Temper temper now bukkake,...try not to swallow.
There you go again.

“Facts”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#44015 Dec 15, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>They don't have to break into house: private sellers have few restrictions when they want to shop firearms- there are few laws requiring buyers to show they are legally entitled to own weapons in the US.

Yet...
Wrong again

It is against federal law to transfer a gun without a back ground check

“Facts”

Location hidden

#44016 Dec 15, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>Tens of thousands do every year.
From eating junk food

“Facts”

Location hidden

#44017 Dec 15, 2012
Mr Citizen_1 wrote:
These are but a few disgusting statistics, with citations included. How can you possibly explain these stats away? You can't...with a straight face:

In 2003, there were 30,136 firearm-related deaths in the United States; 16,907 (56%) suicides, 11,920 (40%) homicides (including 347 deaths due to legal intervention/war), and 962 (3%) undetermined/unintentional firearm deaths.

CDC/National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, WISQARS Injury Mortality Reports 1999-2003 http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/wisqars

The rate of death from firearms in the United States is eight times higher than that in its economic counterparts in other parts of the world.

Kellermann AL and Waeckerle JF. Preventing Firearm Injuries. Ann Emerg Med July 1998; 32:77-79.

The overall firearm-related death rate among U.S. children younger than 15 years of age is nearly 12 times higher than among children in 25 other industrialized countries combined.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 1997;46:101-105.

The United States has the highest rate of youth homicides and suicides among the 26 wealthiest nations.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Rates of homicide, suicide, and firearm-related death among children: 26 industrialized countries.
MMWR. 1997;46:101-105.
Death from the food you eat kills a larger percent of Americans than any other country

Drugs do also

Guns are illegal here in Mexico but we have more gun violence here than in the USA

“Facts”

Location hidden

#44018 Dec 15, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>You are full of [email protected]

Does the automatic background check drop from the sky when you sell your gun to the next door neighbor?

Have every single one of your gun purchases been verified as legal with a background check?
That is a federal crime like selling a bomb to your neighbor

“Facts”

Location hidden

#44019 Dec 15, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>ah.

There you go.

Show us the law that requires you- a private seller- to do a background check there in Ohio on your sales to another private buyer.

Make sure you include the statute number, better: copy and paste it here.
It is called the Brady act and it states it is illegal to sell a gun without a background check

“Facts”

Location hidden

#44020 Dec 15, 2012
Be Truthful Be Free wrote:
<quoted text>Trayvon was not a criminal. Thug Zimmerman is. There's a record to see.

Trayvon, nor his parents were on welfare. They were both hard working parents.

You must speak of Thug Zimmerman, as it is he that is the criminal. It is he that collected welfare. And it is he that has his hand out seeking help.

And it is also Thug Zimmerman whose parents have been coddling him. The sooner he gets behind bars the safer our society will be. We don't need Thugs walking are streets accosting our children and killing them.

Do not confuse the facts. I'll help you out every time you do.

Oh, by the way, you're a piece of sh!t.

I call 'em like I see 'em.
The punk was just booted from school for dope

That is a criminal
Mr Citizen_1

Spokane, WA

#44021 Dec 15, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Death from the food you eat kills a larger percent of Americans than any other country
Drugs do also
Guns are illegal here in Mexico but we have more gun violence here than in the USA
I'm sorry. That must really suck to live in Mexico!

“Facts”

Location hidden

#44022 Dec 15, 2012
Mr Citizen_1 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sorry. That must really suck to live in Mexico!
Why would you say that??
Or
Here Is One

Mexico

#44023 Dec 15, 2012
Mr Citizen_1 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sorry. That must really suck to live in Mexico!
Just ignorant about Mexico?

We love it more than Sardina were we moved here from

My wife still likes to stay at our place in Sonoma county but my kids hate it up there
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#44024 Dec 15, 2012
Mr Citizen_1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, responsible gun ownership comes down to personal responsibility. Yes, we are very concerned about guns being stolen by felons, and children accidently blowing their brother's head off, etc. It happens all the time. Not cool.
That is why responsible gun ownership involves many, many things, one of which is storing your gun in a burglar-proof gun locker when you are not home. That would prevent theft and other "accidents". In fact, that would have prevented the massacre in Newtown.
Also, the Gun Show loophole MUST BE CLOSED. PERIOD.
It might be more palatable to utilize the term "Gun Safety Campaign" as opposed to "Gun Control". Gun advocates simply do not like the phrasing of the latter, yet it all means the same.
I have only scratched the surface here. There are so many other safety precautions at issue which must be put into place, many of which you would likely agree with.
Furthermore, automatic and semi-automatic assault rifles with major clip capacity are designed only for soldiers at war on the battle field. There is absolutely no other valid purpose for these killing machines.
Lastly, all of these public killing sprees DO NOT involve a "felon" who stole guns at his latest robery. They simply DO NOT. These killers are white men with no criminal history whatsoever, yet who had unfettered access to guns. Think about that. Something must change, and I suspect that it will as a result of recent tragedie(s). We shall see.
Okay, then ask yourself how they got guns? They were legal citizens making firearm purchases. How do you stop that unless you are psychic? In this latest case, early reports say he stole his mothers guns.

Pot, heroin, cocaine, all illegal in the US. Yet we have the highest percentage of our population locked up behind bars because of drug activities. Laws don't work on the criminal. That's why they're criminals in the first place. Laws only prevent law biding citizens from access to desired products.

It seems to me you never fired a gun. If you did, you would realize the need for higher capacity magazines. Guns are not always accurate--especially in a high stress situation. Even the police don't hit their target when they need to use their firearms. Here in Cleveland, our police chased a car for about a half-hour. It was suspected that they were armed. When they finally pinned the vehicle down, 13 officers fired 137 rounds into the car. Guess how many hit the two suspects? 47. That's a little over a third of the rounds fired, and these are highly trained officers.

A smaller clip might be useful if your opponent is one person, but if it's several people such as a gang coming after you, or you are shooting more than 20 feet you are going to need every round in that gun possible. Anybody can drop a clip and insert a new one in a matter of two seconds. Smaller clips won't solve anything. A killer will just bring more clips for the murders.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#44025 Dec 15, 2012
Mr Citizen_1 wrote:
These are but a few disgusting statistics, with citations included. How can you possibly explain these stats away? You can't...with a straight face:
In 2003, there were 30,136 firearm-related deaths in the United States; 16,907 (56%) suicides, 11,920 (40%) homicides (including 347 deaths due to legal intervention/war), and 962 (3%) undetermined/unintentional firearm deaths.
CDC/National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, WISQARS Injury Mortality Reports 1999-2003 http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/wisqars
The rate of death from firearms in the United States is eight times higher than that in its economic counterparts in other parts of the world.
Kellermann AL and Waeckerle JF. Preventing Firearm Injuries. Ann Emerg Med July 1998; 32:77-79.
The overall firearm-related death rate among U.S. children younger than 15 years of age is nearly 12 times higher than among children in 25 other industrialized countries combined.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 1997;46:101-105.
The United States has the highest rate of youth homicides and suicides among the 26 wealthiest nations.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Rates of homicide, suicide, and firearm-related death among children: 26 industrialized countries.
MMWR. 1997;46:101-105.
How about some more recent figures?

There were 52,447 deliberate and 23,237 accidental non-fatal gunshot injuries in the United States during 2000.[4] The majority of gun-related deaths in the United States are suicides,[5] with 17,352 (55.6%) of the total 31,224 firearm-related deaths in 2007 due to suicide, while 12,632 (40.5%) were homicide deaths.[6] In 2009, according to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, 60% of all homicides in the United States were perpetrated using a firearm.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_...

Okay, so a little over half of the homicides were because of guns. After we solve the gun problem, what are we going to do about that other 40%?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sanford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Heroin (May '13) Nov 30 girlyorlando67 41
Tyler swift is out of jail.scum scum scum. Nov 30 Bobcat 1
What About Lake Sheriff Borders? (Nov '11) Nov 30 Jeremy 891
News Expert: Deltona civility ordinance would 'lend ... Nov 25 Lucy 1
Trump's Extended 15 Minutes of Fame Are Up Nov 25 Lucy 2
Thanksgiving! Nov 24 Rella485 1
what do you think of this scum Tyler Swift Aka ... Nov 21 The real Deal 1

Sanford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance