Trayvon Martin Shooting Death Sparks ...

Trayvon Martin Shooting Death Sparks Outrage on Social Media

There are 66312 comments on the Wall Street Journal story from Mar 22, 2012, titled Trayvon Martin Shooting Death Sparks Outrage on Social Media. In it, Wall Street Journal reports that:

Social media has put the spotlight on the story Trayvon Martin , an unarmed African-American teenager who was shot to death last month by a neighborhood watch captain in Florida.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Wall Street Journal.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#43981 Dec 15, 2012
T4YOU 2 wrote:
Liberals think the all evil comes form the barrel of an assault rife.
They don't.

They think evil comes from the people who stand behind the assault weapon and pull the trigger, and out of the mouths of fat racist trailer park bigots like yourself.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#43984 Dec 15, 2012
Be Truthful Be Free wrote:
<quoted text>
No, liberals believe in personal responsibility.
That is one of the reasons Thug Zimmerman and Mr. Dunn are to be held accountable for their actions.
Personal Responsibility.
Liberals are for personal responsibility? Then why is our economy still Bush's fault? Why did the Democrats claim Benghazi was the Republican Congresses fault? Why did the Democrats claim Fast and Furious was Bush's fault?

Wait and see how Democrats blame guns and not individuals for terrible tragedies like this. It wasn't the shooters fault, it was the guns fault.

Personal responsibility.
Buffalo Bill

Buffalo, NY

#43985 Dec 15, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>

Your day is long gone, bigot: we know exactly what you are and track you down and stomp on you for the cockroach you are.

SQUISH!

Your pedophile has a bright future in front of him: bright overhead lights with many boyfriends calling him 'Sweetie'.
Temper temper now bukkake,...try not to swallow.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#43986 Dec 15, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Liberals are for personal responsibility? Then why is our economy still Bush's fault? Why did the Democrats claim Benghazi was the Republican Congresses fault? Why did the Democrats claim Fast and Furious was Bush's fault?
Wait and see how Democrats blame guns and not individuals for terrible tragedies like this. It wasn't the shooters fault, it was the guns fault.
Personal responsibility.
lol! I think we should blame your parents son.
Buffalo Bill

Buffalo, NY

#43987 Dec 15, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't.
They think evil comes from the people who stand behind the assault weapon and pull the trigger, and out of the mouths of fat racist trailer park bigots like yourself.
Congratulations on your 49,029th militant co ck trolling post.

Way to go numbnut.

Get out much?

Blowin'?
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#43988 Dec 15, 2012
Mr Citizen_1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Buffalo Biotch:
I am NOT proposing a complete ban on gun ownership by law abiding citizens. That is ridiculous, and contrary to the 2nd Amendment.
What I am proposing is strong, sensible, and meaningful regulations on gun ownership, gun control, limitations on amunition and clips, and the sale of guns at gun shows, etc.
Forty percent (40%) of all gun sales in the U.S. DO NOT require a criminal background check. You can be on the Homeland Security Terrorist Watchlist, and still legally buy a gun in the U.S.! You cannot possibly agree with that, can you? You can have the most severely documented mental condition known to man, and still legally purchase a gun in the U.S.
Do you see a problem with this? If not, there is no use in discusssing this grave issue any further.
If you listen to mental health experts, they too say that guns are not the problem. The problem we have in this country is recognizing mental illness conditions. You know, all those "rights" we have?

Back in the 70's, we used to commit people that were suspected of having mental illness. At the time, Geraldo had his own television show. One episode had Geraldo claiming that locking up these individuals for their own good was a Constitutional violation since they broke no law. They were sentenced for not committing a crime. Soon all those institutions had to unlock their doors and allow these people to roam free, and they are doing so today. We call them the homeless.

About ten years ago, a woman approached my home while I was working in the yard. She parked her van at a nearby parking lot and I watched as she walked towards me. She began cussing me out and babbling some sort of nonsense I couldn't make out. Then she began spitting in my direction. She was about 20 feet away so it didn't matter. I called police not because I feared the woman, but because she was in a motor vehicle and clearly unstable.

By the time the police arrived, she had already returned to her van. There were three police cars. After about ten minutes, I seen the van drive away so I approached the officers. I explained my concern about such a mentally unstable person driving a van. The police told me there was nothing they could do except to tell her to stay away from my home. They couldn't arrest her, detain her, or have her taken to the hospital for evaluation. She broke no law.

This is how we interact with people who are not all there. We need new laws, but not for guns.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#43989 Dec 15, 2012
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! I think we should blame your parents son.
At least I know who they are. Jealous?
Mr Citizen_1

Spokane, WA

#43990 Dec 15, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Personal responsibility.
In answer to your post:

1) Because it was;
2) Because it was;
3) Because it was;

People with easy access to guns kill people. They are not always "crazy". Often times, they merely had a bad day. The gun and bullets do the physical damage, which results in death. Just as your toaster toasts your bread. You personally don't actually toast your bread with your radiant body temperature, do you? Please do not continue to deny the obvious. Guns are bad news!
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#43991 Dec 15, 2012
Mr Citizen_1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of what you say I may agree with.
However, this statement which you made is completely WRONG:
"This has nothing to do with gun ownership." YOU ARE WRONG!
The means by which this 20 year old killed 5 year old children has EVERYTHING to do with gun ownership. That was the weapon he chose, the weapon so readily available. If he did not have easy access to semi-automatic weapons, I suppose he could have grabbed the nearest broom and took that to the school in a broom frenzy. However, I doubt that would have been successful.
THIS HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH GUN OWNERSHIP and gun control. Those were the weapons the suspect had access to. As a result, 28 people were murdered!
Way to go NRA and your ignorant underlings. You all must be very proud today, huhh?
Violent crime has been decreasing since the expansion of CCW's in this country. Our two worst disasters (OKC bombing and 911) had not one gun involved. And guess what? Gun ownership has been shrinking since the 70's! If it's not broke--don't fix it.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2011-04-27-s...
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#43992 Dec 15, 2012
Mr Citizen_1 wrote:
<quoted text>
In answer to your post:
1) Because it was;
2) Because it was;
3) Because it was;
People with easy access to guns kill people. They are not always "crazy". Often times, they merely had a bad day. The gun and bullets do the physical damage, which results in death. Just as your toaster toasts your bread. You personally don't actually toast your bread with your radiant body temperature, do you? Please do not continue to deny the obvious. Guns are bad news!
No, see my previous post and link from that even right-wing Huffington Post.

How does one stop easy access of guns unless you make guns illegal and punishable by death? It can't be done. Criminals who break into homes look for firearms and jewelry first, and everything else second. They are then sold on the streets giving felons and potential criminals easy access. Not many purchase a gun under his or her name and commit a crime with it. Even at gun shows, you're supposed to get the identity of the person you sold a gun to along with the serial number of the weapon you sold to him or her.

Location hidden

#43993 Dec 15, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
Wait and see how Democrats blame guns and not individuals
It doesn't matter how many 'Democrats' blame the individuals, gun nuts will insist that they blame guns.

Such as you do here.

Location hidden

#43994 Dec 15, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
Criminals who break into homes look for firearms and jewelry first, and everything else second.
And they have no problem taking the guns from the gun nuts who keep their pistols in the night table drawer.

Funny: the guns don't do much protecting when the gun nut isn't home.

I guess the good news is: at least the gun nut's kid isn't going to find the gun and take it to school for show and tell, or to shoot his baby brother, something that happens dozens of times every year.

Location hidden

#43995 Dec 15, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
Criminals who break into homes look for firearms and jewelry first, and everything else second.
They don't have to break into house: private sellers have few restrictions when they want to shop firearms- there are few laws requiring buyers to show they are legally entitled to own weapons in the US.

Yet...

Location hidden

#43996 Dec 15, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
Not many purchase a gun under his or her name and commit a crime with it.
Tens of thousands do every year.

Location hidden

#43997 Dec 15, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Violent crime has been decreasing since the expansion of CCW's
Specious.

Global warming is causing the decrease in violent crime.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#43998 Dec 15, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't have to break into house: private sellers have few restrictions when they want to shop firearms- there are few laws requiring buyers to show they are legally entitled to own weapons in the US.
Yet...
Not true. If you purchase a gun, an automatic background check takes place via computer. Trust me, I purchase guns. If you sell a gun to somebody, it's up to you to keep records of where that gun went in the event a crime is committed with it. When police find a gun at the scene of the crime, the first person they contact is the owner.
Mr Citizen_1

Spokane, WA

#43999 Dec 15, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
No, see my previous post and link from that even right-wing Huffington Post.
How does one stop easy access of guns unless you make guns illegal and punishable by death? It can't be done. Criminals who break into homes look for firearms and jewelry first, and everything else second. They are then sold on the streets giving felons and potential criminals easy access. Not many purchase a gun under his or her name and commit a crime with it. Even at gun shows, you're supposed to get the identity of the person you sold a gun to along with the serial number of the weapon you sold to him or her.
Again, responsible gun ownership comes down to personal responsibility. Yes, we are very concerned about guns being stolen by felons, and children accidently blowing their brother's head off, etc. It happens all the time. Not cool.

That is why responsible gun ownership involves many, many things, one of which is storing your gun in a burglar-proof gun locker when you are not home. That would prevent theft and other "accidents". In fact, that would have prevented the massacre in Newtown.

Also, the Gun Show loophole MUST BE CLOSED. PERIOD.

It might be more palatable to utilize the term "Gun Safety Campaign" as opposed to "Gun Control". Gun advocates simply do not like the phrasing of the latter, yet it all means the same.

I have only scratched the surface here. There are so many other safety precautions at issue which must be put into place, many of which you would likely agree with.

Furthermore, automatic and semi-automatic assault rifles with major clip capacity are designed only for soldiers at war on the battle field. There is absolutely no other valid purpose for these killing machines.

Lastly, all of these public killing sprees DO NOT involve a "felon" who stole guns at his latest robery. They simply DO NOT. These killers are white men with no criminal history whatsoever, yet who had unfettered access to guns. Think about that. Something must change, and I suspect that it will as a result of recent tragedie(s). We shall see.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#44000 Dec 15, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Tens of thousands do every year.
Prove what you post?

Location hidden

#44001 Dec 15, 2012
Chicagoan by Birth wrote:
<quoted text>Prove what you post?
Yes.

You?
Mr Citizen_1

Spokane, WA

#44002 Dec 15, 2012
These are but a few disgusting statistics, with citations included. How can you possibly explain these stats away? You can't...with a straight face:

In 2003, there were 30,136 firearm-related deaths in the United States; 16,907 (56%) suicides, 11,920 (40%) homicides (including 347 deaths due to legal intervention/war), and 962 (3%) undetermined/unintentional firearm deaths.

CDC/National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, WISQARS Injury Mortality Reports 1999-2003 http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/wisqars

The rate of death from firearms in the United States is eight times higher than that in its economic counterparts in other parts of the world.

Kellermann AL and Waeckerle JF. Preventing Firearm Injuries. Ann Emerg Med July 1998; 32:77-79.

The overall firearm-related death rate among U.S. children younger than 15 years of age is nearly 12 times higher than among children in 25 other industrialized countries combined.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 1997;46:101-105.

The United States has the highest rate of youth homicides and suicides among the 26 wealthiest nations.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Rates of homicide, suicide, and firearm-related death among children: 26 industrialized countries.
MMWR. 1997;46:101-105.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sanford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lcso negligence 3 hr 1side 4ever 18
heroin (Feb '14) Tue Charlie123 8
Lets FIRE 30 Year Career Politician JIMMY CONNE... Aug 22 Beekeeper 2
What About Lake Sheriff Borders? (Nov '11) Aug 15 Mary dodd 872
Deltona Massacre, 5 years later? (Sep '09) Aug 14 Smith and Wesson 18
News Back to prison for Mary Hill (Aug '06) Aug 14 Session_Whine 212
News Semoran Financial proposes deal with Partners Bank (Jun '09) Aug 13 mike russo 14

Sanford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sanford Mortgages