Trayvon Martin Shooting Shows Perils of Lax U.S. Gun Laws

There are 9862 comments on the Bloomberg story from Mar 20, 2012, titled Trayvon Martin Shooting Shows Perils of Lax U.S. Gun Laws. In it, Bloomberg reports that:

The Justice Department opened an investigation this week into the killing of Trayvon Martin, a 17-year-old high school student who was shot dead on Feb.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bloomberg.

“always”

Since: May 12

Ticklaw

#9642 Jun 25, 2013
serfs up wrote:
<quoted text> Whether you like it or not, what the poster wrote does happen. Did it happen this time? Self defense for Zim? Martin's right to be there? That is what we will find out one way or the other.
That's why there is a trial going on dummy.

By George's own accounts, Martin could not possibly have known who was following him in the expensive pick up truck in the neighborhood that he was "somewhat" unfamiliar with. Martin had been to The Retreat previously and perhaps knew about the short cut near Frank T's home, obviously many living in the community knew of that opening.

The HOA President knew of it and had concerns, certainly George knew of it having been there for nearly three years, not unusual to see someone cutting through in late afternoon-early evening.

Personally, I would have raised all grades of he11 about that weird cheapazz fence allowing foot and bicycle traffic to constantly pass next to my home.

But if my home was in foreclosure and my HOA dues were in arrears, who would I raise he11 with?

Just sayin.
Patriot

Oaxaca, Mexico

#9643 Jun 25, 2013
guest wrote:
i really think thug was casing the place that night to steal something. and george got in his way.
Yeah that knappy headed little druggie was up to no good just like always. Is there any recent evidence he done ANYTHING worth a shit? Not a damn thing. It all depends on how you word it or twist it. As far as Im concerned when a guy walks up to another at night and hits him hes asking for just what TrayBgone got. A bullet in his ass! How many white guys do hear of that jumps a black guy for no reson? Very damn few if any and if they do they too need a bullet. Im not racist Im just not quiet anymore!
Tray

Tupelo, MS

#9644 Jun 25, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh really then why would need your idiotic "stand your ground" law? ye freaking moron!!
I don't. I carried before "Stand your ground" before "conceal carry" and will continue regardless of anyone trying to tell me I need permission. Guns were used for self defense long before any law said you could so why ask permission now. "Stand you ground" laws didn't give rights. If you will do your research you will find they were put in place to clarify the existing right to self defense. How about you show just how they are "idiotic"? If I were to attack you and you tried to defend yourself you could go to jail for it, is that what you are defending? I really doubt you practice what you preach. If so please post a picture of a sign on your door saying "I don't defend myself or my property".
Tray

Tupelo, MS

#9645 Jun 25, 2013
menards wrote:
<quoted text>
Talk to the cousin. George's decade of molestation and sexual harrassment is well document in public press releases. To date, george has not denied these allegations. I am allowed to reference public documents all that I wish. Remember, its not slander if its true. The only trip George's wife will be making will be to prison for perjury, or is that little detail lost on you as well?
And if another cousin comes forward and says she say George walk on water will you just take her word for it? She will not be charged for perjury if George walks, the state will have enough egg on their face and too busy defending that BIG lawsuit George will be filing. Remember "true" has to be "provable". Dozens of lawyers are lining up now to file suits (including against those on public forums). If George walks I might be sweating if I were you. When is the last time you saw a judge send everyone in their court (who lied) to jail for perjury? They don't make prisons big enough to hold all those who lie in court. Ha ha ha you still make me laugh at your foolish ideas!
Anti-Fascism

Anonymous Proxy

#9646 Jun 25, 2013
RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>Pay attention much? The controversial expert voice analyst was originally contacted by the defense.
Wannabe cop describes a mindset that most if not all are familiar with, same with little man syndrome, Napolean complex etc. George had taken the coursework necessary to become a cop although he did poorly, not getting his certificate. He had also applied for work at a LE agency in VA. That agency wasn't interested.
Btw George didn't call 911 but direct dialed the Sanford Police Department non emergency number and spoke to a police dispatcher.
Maybe we'll get to see that guy testify this week, opening arguments begin shortly. Lol, your boy Tray spent over a year believing it was a lady...he's a regular genius.
I could've swore I heard a lady in one of the recordings a few months ago on one YouTube video. Maybe someone switched it up? I don't know.

One can assume anything they want; unless they've proof that Zimmerman intentionally ran up to him and shot him without just cause, I'd expect them to vote "not guilty," as I would.

What Zimmerman says could've easily went down; I've seen punk-thugs do exactly what Zimmerman describes Trayvon doing/saying. Zimmerman walked to the end of the block to get the name of it in order to relay it back to police, then he says Trayvon came at him screaming "You got a problem" as Zimmerman was walking *back* to his truck, away from Trayvons last known location he walked in.

This could easily have happened. Until one PROVES otherwise, he shouldn't be convicted of a crime based upon blind assumption, lest we throw every single individual in prison since no cameras were there to watch as they defended themselves with last-resort deadly violence on an attacker trying to do them serious harm? That includes all law-enforcement officers, federal agents, etc.

So let's all be consistent or don't bother at all.

Zimmerman has a very *soft*(as one said in court) type of personality. He doesn't give off this "hard thug" type of personality. If you're bringing up the past then you've to also bring up Trayvons past, of him physically assaulting a bus driver; Trayvon setting up "MMA style" fights (and I'm betting he did some himself) between two individuals, etc.

History is history; no one usually has a spotless one, anyway. What we need is very good proof showing that Zimmerman did pull the trigger out of hateful malice and thus murder.

Until then, I see no good case against him *yet*.

One never knows how the jury will vote, so one should never predict anything concerning that, imo. It could go either way. I'm only telling my opinion based upon what I know for now.
menards

Bordentown, NJ

#9647 Jun 26, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> And if another cousin comes forward and says she say George walk on water will you just take her word for it?
A big leap from "molestation" to "walking on water". Truth is, according to George's cousin and many published reports, she endured a decade of molestation, abuse and harassment.
Tray wrote:
<quoted text>
She will not be charged for perjury if George walks, the state will have enough egg on their face and too busy defending that BIG lawsuit George will be filing. Remember "true" has to be "provable".
Shellie's own legal issues are NOT contingent on George's trial. She perjured herself in a court of law. That is a crime. Her swarn testimony in court directly contradicts the taped jailhouse conversations w/ george. there is your evidence.
Tray wrote:
<quoted text>
Dozens of lawyers are lining up now to file suits (including against those on public forums).
Link? Source?
Tray wrote:
<quoted text>
If George walks I might be sweating if I were you. When is the last time you saw a judge send everyone in their court (who lied) to jail for perjury? They don't make prisons big enough to hold all those who lie in court. Ha ha ha you still make me laugh at your foolish ideas!
George's defense team opened up with a knock-knock joke. I'm not the one sweating....LOL!
menards

Bordentown, NJ

#9648 Jun 26, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree.
Trayvon did NOT ask to get shot that night.
What he did was what most all teenage boys do when growing through the stage of hormones. He made the mistake of thinking that he was ten feet tall and bulletproof.
He made the same mistake that adult drunks make when they think themselves invincible.
He overestimated his prowess in a potentially deadly encounter, and lost.
He underestimated his target opponent and assumed it would be a successful beat down with him being the beater of the downer.
He was wrong.
Trayvon Martin did not ask to get shot. He expected to beat up Zimmerman and go happily along his way and post even more of his prowess as a banger on his face book page.
He was right however, that there would be some banging going on that night. He just misidentified where that bang would be coming from.
The real big bang came from the downer, being beat down in true banger form and style from a wanna be banger.
Trayvon Martin made a mistake. He made a common mistake. Over estimating your own physical prowes in the face of underestimating an unknown opponent with unknown "weapons" and abilities.
100% speculative BS.
<rolls eyes>
menards

Bordentown, NJ

#9650 Jun 26, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. You did say that. The "non-sequitor" comment was out of line though.
I dont feel it was out of line, I dont know what Matumbo has to do with anything. Simply, it doesnt follow.
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
It was as relevant to the truth as your "offensive" tool nonsense.
Not non sense, its the truth. Guns are not defensive tools. They are offensive weapons. Why else would you have one? Because you want to be able to pull it out and hope the other guy doesnt also have one, regardless of the situation.
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
A tool, be it a gun or a basketball, has no identity that can be either good or bad. THAT attribute is only associated to the tool through it's use by a human being.
NO SHIT!
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said, repeatedly, it is HOW the tool is being used that is a problem. THAT puts the act of being offensive solely on the shoulders of the human committing the offensive act.
NO SHIT! News flash for you buddy, noone else has said otherwise.
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
And you say that I have a comprehension problem.
<rolls eyes>
You absolutely do. <smile>
spocko

Oakland, CA

#9651 Jun 26, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> I don't. I carried before "Stand your ground" before "conceal carry" and will continue regardless of anyone trying to tell me I need permission. Guns were used for self defense long before any law said you could so why ask permission now. "Stand you ground" laws didn't give rights. If you will do your research you will find they were put in place to clarify the existing right to self defense. How about you show just how they are "idiotic"? If I were to attack you and you tried to defend yourself you could go to jail for it, is that what you are defending? I really doubt you practice what you preach. If so please post a picture of a sign on your door saying "I don't defend myself or my property".
What about your sign? I'm dumb as dogshit and I have a gun :)
menards

Bordentown, NJ

#9652 Jun 26, 2013
Patriot wrote:
The Trayvon Martin "STAR" witness #8 sure seems to have dampened the spirit of the supporters hahaha. She would probably make a great ghetto ho hahaha! Hers Jeantel folks!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/twitter/r...
Do you get all your news from smear-rags like TSG?

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/06/26/3471243...

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#9656 Jun 26, 2013
RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>Total crock of cht!
What you're saying is that Trayvon decided to jump a guy who he had never seen, had no clue how large or what sort of health the guy was in or whether or not the guy might be armed.
Witnesses have said that they were drawn to the commotion by loud voices...angry voices...arguing voices,
You're just parroting George's stories, stories that even George had to change three or more times and still couldn't get to match up.
It is more than Zimmerman's recount of what happened. The physical evidence supports that as well. It is also a witnesses recount of events. Remember John? He says it was a gangster style beat down with the one in the dark hoody on top and the one with the red shirt on bottom.
poof
There goes your speculation nonsense.

The neighbor's "eye witness" account showed that she witnessed nothing and modified her previous testimony in both a prior questioning AND a deposition. What she said in court yesterday was DIFFERENT than what she told the legal eagles on two prior occasions. The defense showed that her testimony was coached by the prosecution. It's akin to leading a witness.
Poof
another prosecution "witness" bites the dust.

Location hidden

#9657 Jun 26, 2013
RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>That's why there is a trial going on dummy.
By George's own accounts, Martin could not possibly have known who was following him in the expensive pick up truck in the neighborhood that he was "somewhat" unfamiliar with. Martin had been to The Retreat previously and perhaps knew about the short cut near Frank T's home, obviously many living in the community knew of that opening.
The HOA President knew of it and had concerns, certainly George knew of it having been there for nearly three years, not unusual to see someone cutting through in late afternoon-early evening.
Personally, I would have raised all grades of he11 about that weird cheapazz fence allowing foot and bicycle traffic to constantly pass next to my home.
But if my home was in foreclosure and my HOA dues were in arrears, who would I raise he11 with?
Just sayin.
Oh that's nice.
You like to raise hell.
Thanks for sharing.

Location hidden

#9658 Jun 26, 2013
RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>Total crock of cht!
What you're saying is that Trayvon decided to jump a guy who he had never seen, had no clue how large or what sort of health the guy was in or whether or not the guy might be armed.
Witnesses have said that they were drawn to the commotion by loud voices...angry voices...arguing voices,
You're just parroting George's stories, stories that even George had to change three or more times and still couldn't get to match up.
"What you're saying is that Trayvon decided to jump a guy who he had never seen, had no clue how large or what sort of health the guy was in or whether or not the guy might be armed."

That is what YOU clowns have been saying all along.
YOU clowns have said repeatedly that Martin HAD A RIGHT TO STAND HIS GROUND AND HE DID.

Poof

Gotcha in your own trap.
menards

Bordentown, NJ

#9659 Jun 26, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text> Quit trying to muddy the water for those who have a clear vision of the situation.
<snicker> <eye roll> <lol>
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>
Your time could be spent cluttering up the courthouse lawn with a liberal cardboard sign hahaha. You know with something like justice for our dead thug?
Murder is Murder. Zimmerman knows that. Zimmerman knows what his outcome is going to be. He is +120 lbs since last year. Thats a lot of stress.
menards

Bordentown, NJ

#9660 Jun 26, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
"What you're saying is that Trayvon decided to jump a guy who he had never seen, had no clue how large or what sort of health the guy was in or whether or not the guy might be armed."
YOU clowns have said repeatedly that Martin HAD A RIGHT TO STAND HIS GROUND AND HE DID.
Poof
Gotcha in your own trap.
Except for the FACT that martin ran FIRST, was chased into the back yard, then HAD to fight when there was no other option left.
menards

Bordentown, NJ

#9661 Jun 26, 2013
Patriot wrote:
Jayne Surdyka testified today that Trayvon Martin was screaming for help before George Zimmerman shot him in the chest. She witnessed the altercation from her window. Jurors were seen wiping away tears during her testimony.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-575911...

“always”

Ticklaw

#9662 Jun 26, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
It is more than Zimmerman's recount of what happened. The physical evidence supports that as well. It is also a witnesses recount of events. Remember John? He says it was a gangster style beat down with the one in the dark hoody on top and the one with the red shirt on bottom.
poof
There goes your speculation nonsense.
The neighbor's "eye witness" account showed that she witnessed nothing and modified her previous testimony in both a prior questioning AND a deposition. What she said in court yesterday was DIFFERENT than what she told the legal eagles on two prior occasions. The defense showed that her testimony was coached by the prosecution. It's akin to leading a witness.
Poof
another prosecution "witness" bites the dust.
Are you live streaming or do you live in the Central Florida area?

The jury will watch all these eye and ear witnesses and compare their info with George's previous statements and his full video reenactment. John, by the way, changed up his story when he realized that there were other neighbors who witnessed various parts of the encounter, he definitely had the best vantage point so it will be interesting to hear his testimony.

Keep in mind that none of these witnesses had a clue that this case would become high profile or that they would be interviewed by LE agencies and then attorneys who tend to phrase-pose their questions differently.

“always”

Ticklaw

#9663 Jun 26, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh that's nice.
You like to raise hell.
Thanks for sharing.
WTF is that supposed to mean? Are you bored today?

“always”

Ticklaw

#9664 Jun 26, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Poof
Gotcha in your own trap.
Bored and stoned?
menards

Bordentown, NJ

#9667 Jun 26, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah I call her witness 0 Credibility. She wants to make it appear that she could tell it was the punks voice and not Zimmermans. BUT she claims there were 3 gun shots hahaha. The bitch is slanting her testimony. And outright lying too! There was only 1 gunshot. Her testimony doesn't count for shit!
Its not only conceivable, its very likely that she heard three gunshots given the location of the murder. In the confined back yard surrounded by houses gunshots will echo. 1 gunshot. 2 echos. Is this your first time at the rodeo, Clown?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sanford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The mother of Trayvon Martin 'stunned' by verdict (Jul '13) 29 min proud2BBlk 331
Apperson is going to jail 5 hr Right is right 1
News Zimmerman: A person in his circumstances can't ... 6 hr Right is right 3
Seminoles Stupid Prosecutors 6 hr Right is right 2
Trayvon Is Dead And Free Zimmerman Alive And Bo... (Jul '13) Sun Cooter Brown 36
What if Trayvon Martin was White? (Jul '13) Sun Cooter Brown 67
All us blacks should go back to Africa (Jul '13) May 23 warbucks 237
More from around the web

Sanford People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]