Letters to the Editor, January 26-28,...

Letters to the Editor, January 26-28, 2011 - The Park Record

There are 16 comments on the Park Record story from Jan 25, 2011, titled Letters to the Editor, January 26-28, 2011 - The Park Record. In it, Park Record reports that:

I want to thank the people of Park City for helping me track down my frightened weimaraner today .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Park Record.

letsrevolt

Park City, UT

#1 Jan 26, 2011
I agree completely with Matt Fords comments.(except your pass was expired, so you should have parked elsewhere until you had your new one)
The parking gestapo are out of control and power hungry. While all of the parking pass holders are jockeying for a parking place on the China Bridge roof this week, the garage is for the most part empty, and they are giving tickets to anyone with a pass that parked inside because there are no spaces left on top.
I have seen the parking police confronting a delivery person on Swede Alley before Christmas. They actually told him that he was supposed to park on the roof..and figure out how to get the pallets of linens down and to the restaurant! He has been delivering to Main Street for over 10 years.
It seems that the city government/council/police chief don't understand or care about the Main Street businesses and employees. It is not just skiing that brings tax dollars to the city! It is time to clean house and elect and hire new people that have some vision!
Overpriced and overrated

Park City, UT

#2 Jan 26, 2011
With the parking be careful what you wish for. It's not unrealistic to think that a park and ride lot is in the works for employees. Have us park on the fringes and ride the bus like cattle to work, that seems to be a popular solution around here, but I'm not saying I agree with it.
Townie

Ogden, UT

#3 Jan 26, 2011
It is not the government's role to provide free parking to all business owners and their employees, in my opinion. If we allowed all day free parking on Main St and China Bridge and the other lots, they would be filled with employee cars and the visitors/guests (who pay our salaries) would have no place to park. That being said, I think there should be incentives for those who carpool, take the bus, walk or bike to work. The park and ride lot could be part of that. Allowing parking for carpools during events like Sundance should also be encouraged.

Also, I have found the appeal process to be pretty fair when contesting a ticket. You don't always win but it seems like they listen to you.
Peter Kemp

Coalville, UT

#4 Jan 27, 2011
$75 for a parking ticket? Wow, that's usury.
Totally Uninformed

Delray Beach, FL

#5 Jan 27, 2011
Peter Kemp wrote:
$75 for a parking ticket? Wow, that's usury.
No, that's what they usury charge.
Park City

Salt Lake City, UT

#6 Jan 27, 2011
Totally Uninformed wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that's what they usury charge.
Well done,,
What

Park City, UT

#7 Jan 28, 2011
During the winter season this guy parks with an expired parking pass in a high demand parking area and is shocked when he gets a ticket. Give me a break, regardless of the amount of the ticket it was crazy to think he wouldn't get caught. This isn't a small town anymore, especially at this time of year, and his struggle to get to work is just like everybody elses, and still better then commuting to Salt Lake. Be thankful that you get to live in this community, and stop insisting on special treatment.
charly main

Draper, UT

#8 Jan 28, 2011
Matt,
give it up. As an industrious individual (ie, working to pay for a degree), you will not receive help from this city. drop out, go on food stamps and welfare, and you will fare far better here. the fact that you are willing to work means that you are able to pay for a ticket which of course will go towards helping the ne'er-do-wells continue their subsidized lifestyle.
Townie

Ogden, UT

#9 Jan 28, 2011
charly main wrote:
Matt,
give it up. As an industrious individual (ie, working to pay for a degree), you will not receive help from this city. drop out, go on food stamps and welfare, and you will fare far better here. the fact that you are willing to work means that you are able to pay for a ticket which of course will go towards helping the ne'er-do-wells continue their subsidized lifestyle.
How about paying for your permit on time like the rest of us? Charlemagne: The City doesn't give food stamps or welfare and paying for the tickets you rightfully get doesn't subsidize anyone's lifestyle.
Charly Main

Draper, UT

#10 Jan 28, 2011
Townie wrote:
<quoted text>
How about paying for your permit on time like the rest of us? Charlemagne: The City doesn't give food stamps or welfare and paying for the tickets you rightfully get doesn't subsidize anyone's lifestyle.
Townie, don't let anyone tell you that you aren't special, cuz you are.

I will type slowly for you, k?

I never said food stamps or welfare were City issued. If you decide not to make money and support yourself and do take Welfare and Food Stamps, you will undoubtedly be able to receive benefits from the City...like subsidized housing that hurts local builders, realtors, and any number of other trades. It hurts people who pay taxes that allow our City to spend it on those who don't want to work for it. K?
no tickets in China

Salt Lake City, UT

#11 Jan 28, 2011
China does not issue parking tickets. They arrest you and then you are sent to a re-education camp. Just like the camp Obama is building NE of Coalville. Or have you forgotten about the development taking place on the ridge. Why must the military have private, secure, housing outside of town(MIDA)? We have plenty of empty hotel rooms and condos.
Townie

Ogden, UT

#12 Jan 28, 2011
Charly Main wrote:
<quoted text>
Townie, don't let anyone tell you that you aren't special, cuz you are.
I will type slowly for you, k?
I never said food stamps or welfare were City issued. If you decide not to make money and support yourself and do take Welfare and Food Stamps, you will undoubtedly be able to receive benefits from the City...like subsidized housing that hurts local builders, realtors, and any number of other trades. It hurts people who pay taxes that allow our City to spend it on those who don't want to work for it. K?
Your lack of knowledge is truly breathtaking. Name anyone or any program from the City that provides benefits for those on Welfare and Food Stamps. You want to talk about Affordable Housing? Okay. These units are generally constructed by local builders and other trades. How are they harmed exactly? The units are deed restricted and your tax dollars are not used to subsidize them. There is a big difference. All of the City units (which are the 12 Snow Creek houses) go to people who work here.

Get some facts before you spout off. And even when you type slowly, you can't spell.
Charly Main

Draper, UT

#13 Jan 28, 2011
Townie wrote:
<quoted text>
Your lack of knowledge is truly breathtaking. Name anyone or any program from the City that provides benefits for those on Welfare and Food Stamps. You want to talk about Affordable Housing? Okay. These units are generally constructed by local builders and other trades. How are they harmed exactly? The units are deed restricted and your tax dollars are not used to subsidize them. There is a big difference. All of the City units (which are the 12 Snow Creek houses) go to people who work here.
Get some facts before you spout off. And even when you type slowly, you can't spell.
oh you sweet little thing. guess i did type too fast...

I never said anything that remotely indicated that Welfare and Food Stamps are City provided. Stop there for a minute, reread it and let it sink in.

What I DID say, is that if you are one of those that does not provide for yourself and are able to get Food Stamps and Welfare, then you probably will also meet the basic criteria for our little Nanny-City here. Got it?

How does it hurt?
1) local builders my ass (how bout the City agreement out at the Junction on top of Snow Crack).
2) Realtors are not involved in the transactions
3) potential buyers are taken away from NUMEROUS other properties around that are offered at the same price (albeit, market value)...in other words, the Government is competing with private business, but subsidizes its side...how in the name of God is that fair?
4) work here, my arse
5) 3% appreciation a year when you bought something for 1/2 price is a pretty sweet deal in these times.

You can't compete with the Government when they use YOUR money to undercut you. simple enough? it is absolutely disgusting...the piper will be paid in the near term, i am afraid.
Townie

South Jordan, UT

#14 Jan 28, 2011
Charly Main wrote:
<quoted text>
oh you sweet little thing. guess i did type too fast...
I never said anything that remotely indicated that Welfare and Food Stamps are City provided. Stop there for a minute, reread it and let it sink in.
What I DID say, is that if you are one of those that does not provide for yourself and are able to get Food Stamps and Welfare, then you probably will also meet the basic criteria for our little Nanny-City here. Got it?
How does it hurt?
1) local builders my ****(how bout the City agreement out at the Junction on top of Snow Crack).
2) Realtors are not involved in the transactions
3) potential buyers are taken away from NUMEROUS other properties around that are offered at the same price (albeit, market value)...in other words, the Government is competing with private business, but subsidizes its side...how in the name of God is that fair?
4) work here, my arse
5) 3% appreciation a year when you bought something for 1/2 price is a pretty sweet deal in these times.
You can't compete with the Government when they use YOUR money to undercut you. simple enough? it is absolutely disgusting...the piper will be paid in the near term, i am afraid.
Once again, your lack of comprehension is astonishing. Read what I wrote. Let it sink in. I didn't either state that the City provided Food Stamps and Welfare.
1. Anything built out at the Junction? Any builders selected yet? Answer to both is no.
2. Realtors don't add value. No sales tax on real estate transactions. Way too many realtors anyway.
3. Total lack of logic (I'm not surprised). Why would someone buy a deed restricted unit at the same price as a market rate unit that has much better appreciation potential?
4. Tell that to the people in Snow Creek like the City's Planning Director. It is a requirement of the contract.
5. Half price? Any evidence of that? Also, 3% a year is the cap, not a guarantee.

Get your facts before you spout off.
hooty

United States

#15 Jan 29, 2011
Townie wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, your lack of comprehension is astonishing. Read what I wrote. Let it sink in. I didn't either state that the City provided Food Stamps and Welfare.
1. Anything built out at the Junction? Any builders selected yet? Answer to both is no.
2. Realtors don't add value. No sales tax on real estate transactions. Way too many realtors anyway.
3. Total lack of logic (I'm not surprised). Why would someone buy a deed restricted unit at the same price as a market rate unit that has much better appreciation potential?
4. Tell that to the people in Snow Creek like the City's Planning Director. It is a requirement of the contract.
5. Half price? Any evidence of that? Also, 3% a year is the cap, not a guarantee.
Get your facts before you spout off.
Charly is more right. How long have u worked for the city, townie?
Townie

South Jordan, UT

#16 Feb 1, 2011
hooty wrote:
<quoted text>
Charly is more right. How long have u worked for the city, townie?
Any facts to back that up? Just like Charly, nothing there. I have lived here for nearly 20 years as if that makes any difference.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sandy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
3yr old girl-- Adoption? Jul 15 six string sing 1
3yr old girl Jul 14 six string sing 2
News Name of man who shot neighbor Murray shooting s... Jul 11 Cchristoff 2
Marisa Rose 2 daughters 1 son Jul 3 Jessey 1
Review: iLoveKickboxing - South Jordan (Nov '16) Jun '17 AmandaCornia 42
News Police: Murray man shoots, assaults man while d... Jun '17 c u ontheotherside 1
Review: Slickrock Towing And Recovery (Nov '12) May '17 Mary Lou 36

Sandy Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sandy Mortgages