Old Stories of a Secret Society origi...

Old Stories of a Secret Society originating in EC years ago

Posted in the Sandy Hook Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Grannys Old Storries

Chesterfield, MO

#1 Jul 8, 2010
Granny used to tell us of a "group" called Black socks or something simular to that. She always said that the KKK didn't have "noth'n on them boys"... before she passed away, she used to think that they where still active? Just wondering if any one else knows anything about this "Secret Society".
Old Stories

Lehigh Acres, FL

#2 Jul 8, 2010
I recall reading something about a group that took matters into their own hands when someone did something "crappy" to the community. They would "visit" them one time to explain the concern. If they had to return to re-explain it.... the person was injured or killed. Can't recall which historical web site that was on though.
Or maybe I am just thinking of my bookie-- JK.

Great question- grannys old stories- hope you get some replies. KY's old stories are classsics!
FYI

West Liberty, KY

#3 Jul 9, 2010
There was a group called the "The Regulators" who took the law in their own hands. If a man would not work for his family or etc. than these men got together and made sure he did right by his family. This also included rape, murder, stealing and etc. If you look in the Elliott County History Book you would see that a lot of our Great Grandparents were pardoned by the governor at that time.
MEME

West Liberty, KY

#4 Jul 9, 2010
My Dad used to tell me about The Regulators' comeing in on a man that lived on Laural Creek ..He wouldent work for his family.. they took him out and whiped him and told him if they had to come back it would be much worse..I asked my Dad if they had to go back .. He kinda laughted and said ..No we dident have to go back ...
Old Timer

United States

#5 Jul 9, 2010
This was the men of the community. If someone was doing something wrong that usually had to do with the family, such as not working, adultry, starving their kids, even not bathing then one morning they would wake up and find a bundle of switches propped against their front door. This was their one and only warning to get their life in order. Straws were drawn to decide who would lay the switches at the door. Noone ever knew who drew the short straw. If the warning wasn't heeded the entire group would pay that person a visit late at night, early morning hours and beat the crap out of them or even tar and feather them. There were different punishments for different "crimes." If a man was beating his children with a belt then he would get beat with a belt. Hope that helps you some.

I live several counties over from you but have family in Elliott County that I have been trying for years to locate so I watch this board hoping someone will post something that will help me.
Grannys Old Stories

Campton, KY

#6 Jul 9, 2010
Wow ... What history !!

Not that I'm out for blood, but wouldn't it be nice if there was still such a group??

Keep the stories coming... this is interesting!!!
Old Stories

Lehigh Acres, FL

#7 Jul 9, 2010
Old Timer wrote:
This was the men of the community. If someone was doing something wrong that usually had to do with the family, such as not working, adultry, starving their kids, even not bathing then one morning they would wake up and find a bundle of switches propped against their front door. This was their one and only warning to get their life in order. Straws were drawn to decide who would lay the switches at the door. Noone ever knew who drew the short straw. If the warning wasn't heeded the entire group would pay that person a visit late at night, early morning hours and beat the crap out of them or even tar and feather them. There were different punishments for different "crimes." If a man was beating his children with a belt then he would get beat with a belt. Hope that helps you some.

I live several counties over from you but have family in Elliott County that I have been trying for years to locate so I watch this board hoping someone will post something that will help me.
Thanks for that history. Fascinating stuff and could probably decrease welfare if applied today:)
That must have been the group I read about-- The Regulators. Do you know anything about the group the original poster asked about.... The Secret Society?
Who are you seeking? If you are trying to find someone the site
Spokeo.com can usually find people... it is free and pretty reliable.
Thanks for sharing! My ancestory is from KY and I just find all the stories and history much better than TV.
What is the group that Masons have? The men in my family from KY were Masons?
Researching your family

West Liberty, KY

#8 Jul 9, 2010
For those who are researching their family line and have a family connection in any way with Elliott County, there is an excellent site called My Elliott County, Ky. Family Branches. Membership is free, but a member must request an invitation for you. It has some of the very best researchers that are always glad to help others any way they can. There are hundreds of old photos of Elliott County people, and hundreds and hundreds of pages of family histories and information.
Old Timer

United States

#9 Jul 9, 2010
Old Stories wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for that history. Fascinating stuff and could probably decrease welfare if applied today:)
That must have been the group I read about-- The Regulators. Do you know anything about the group the original poster asked about.... The Secret Society?
Who are you seeking? If you are trying to find someone the site
Spokeo.com can usually find people... it is free and pretty reliable.
Thanks for sharing! My ancestory is from KY and I just find all the stories and history much better than TV.
What is the group that Masons have? The men in my family from KY were Masons?
This wasn't the Regulators or the Masons. Every community had a group such as this. It was always the men of the community. Sometimes a person would disappear and never be heard from again. It usually happened right after a funeral and a fresh grave was close by. A person would be killed and put in that fresh grave on top of the original occupant. This was also done by drawing straws and noone ever knew who drew the short straw and therefore noone every knew who killed the second body and put it in the grave withthe first body.
Old Timer

United States

#10 Jul 9, 2010
Researching your family wrote:
For those who are researching their family line and have a family connection in any way with Elliott County, there is an excellent site called My Elliott County, Ky. Family Branches. Membership is free, but a member must request an invitation for you. It has some of the very best researchers that are always glad to help others any way they can. There are hundreds of old photos of Elliott County people, and hundreds and hundreds of pages of family histories and information.
I am searching for the 2nd family of Whit Howard. He was killed near Olive Hill and supposedly buried on Upper Tygart. This happened before 1902 because there was no vital statistics collected before that time period.
neat info

Lehigh Acres, FL

#11 Jul 10, 2010
Researching your family wrote:
So to get a member to invite someone, does gravel need to be exhanged or blacktop?:) Sorry, I just had to go there.
That site sounds really neat and I would love to check it out.
Our various ancestoral lines go back to the Blairs Mill area, Paintsville area, and Floyd County. When the Elliott line was made it apparently ran through GG's farm since his name is mentioned that on that document. I have not really studied mom's line, it is the Tollivers. Each branch is as fasinating as the next. Hoping to make some booklets for my kids about each line with a bio. of each person.
Have you read the Dairy of by Mr. Music? Wow, each entry tells a tale of those days with just a word or two.
Thanks again for info.
MEME

West Liberty, KY

#12 Jul 10, 2010
ok thats it for me ... every time someone starts a great topix.. some one has to bring up gravel or some such foolness... I quit .. Hope you all enjoy the site !!
jaded

West Liberty, KY

#13 Jul 10, 2010
Who is so low to think they can take the law into their own hands?
And why did Mason's come up? Do they do stuff like this?
KKK that is just people doing devils work in white linen, if you are seen in that attire. I hope the law takes you in before you burn in Hell. The Black Socks were a religious group. Please send more information and comments. This is an interesting site. For a change.
Grannys Old Storries

Campton, KY

#14 Jul 10, 2010
MEME wrote:
ok thats it for me ... every time someone starts a great topix.. some one has to bring up gravel or some such foolness... I quit .. Hope you all enjoy the site !!
Ahhh honey, there is one in EVERY CROWD... It was meant as a joke, I am sure!~ A distasteful one at that ~ Keep stories and info coming!!

I'm really enjoying these stories, and information that you all are sharing. Sure am glad that I asked!
My bad

Lehigh Acres, FL

#15 Jul 10, 2010
I am sorry Meme and Grannys Old Stories. I meant it as livity. You started a great topic, so my bad for the tacky joke.
Happy u got part of your original questioned answered--
the Black Socks were a religious group.
I think the Mason are not violent at all but I was just wondering what the names of their various groups are since her Secret Society question was not answered. Will find it internet or head over to the local Mason Lodge. There was a great documentary about the Mason History on the Discovery Channel. They date way, way back.
Old Timer and FYI have taught us a lot of interesting stuff. Keep posting and I will keep my lame jokes to myself.
Hope old timer finds the answer to his 1902 mystery.
FYI

West Liberty, KY

#16 Jul 10, 2010
There were a group of bandits my grandmother told me about that lived on Devil's Fork that robbed and killed people and that is how Devil's Fork got it's name. Some of these individuals were named Howard's if I am not mistaken (probably some of my kin folks). The person to ask is John Allen Stigall. He is a a wonderful historian and can tell you about most families in Elliott County.
DMC

West Liberty, KY

#17 Jul 10, 2010
FYI wrote:
There were a group of bandits my grandmother told me about that lived on Devil's Fork that robbed and killed people and that is how Devil's Fork got it's name. Some of these individuals were named Howard's if I am not mistaken (probably some of my kin folks). The person to ask is John Allen Stigall. He is a a wonderful historian and can tell you about most families in Elliott County.
This is a most interesting topic. You're right about John Allen. I read a story he wrote on this same subject. I beleive it was on the Myfamily web site. You won't find him on this site because of trash in some of the posts.
FYI

West Liberty, KY

#18 Jul 10, 2010
Those individuals on Devil's fork if I am not mistaken were called the Raiders. I may be wrong. John Allen had a few of the stories printed in the Elliott County Newspaper aeveral years ago. They were real interesting - He should write a book about Elliott County.
Devils Fork

Lehigh Acres, FL

#19 Jul 10, 2010
FYI wrote:
Those individuals on Devil's fork if I am not mistaken were called the Raiders. I may be wrong. John Allen had a few of the stories printed in the Elliott County Newspaper aeveral years ago. They were real interesting - He should write a book about Elliott County.
I would buy a copy! Will he come share some stories on this Topix thread, if we promise to behave?
Grannys Old Stories

Sandy Hook, KY

#20 Jul 11, 2010
wouldn't that just be awesome, to hear more from this John Allen.(i haven't had the pleasure of meeting him) I'm not originally from here, but I found out after moving here with my husband, that the land just across the hill from us; was owned my great, great grandfather years ago.... Little did I know that I was coming back to some of the beginnings of my family name. These are great stories.. thanks to you all for sharing... I hope they keep coming!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sandy Hook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dollar General Blonde Sister 3 min Blonde Cashier 10
terry whitt (Oct '10) 19 hr Wow 11
lil girls who dont know how to shut their mouth Thu Mel 1
New Dollar general Thu steven 2
Family dollar workers Thu shopalot 2
sweet sarah lawson Sep 18 LONGTIME FRIENDS 1
Poll Who would make the best Sheriff? (Jun '13) Sep 17 WHAT DO YOU THINK 21

Sandy Hook Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance