old family cemetery on Brown Ridge

old family cemetery on Brown Ridge

Posted in the Sandy Hook Forum

grave seeker

Hillsboro, KY

#1 Oct 16, 2012
Looking for an old family cemetery on Brown Ridge with three graves stones with the names of Newt Howerton, Lucy Howerton, Nora Howerton..Newt Howerton died 10/25/1927.
oldtimer

Chesterfield, MO

#2 Nov 17, 2012
There is a old cemetery out rowe flatt past where the blacktop ends and past a gate the howards have locked that is from that time and very close to brown ridge.
yep

Chesterfield, MO

#3 Nov 17, 2012
oldtimer wrote:
There is a old cemetery out rowe flatt past where the blacktop ends and past a gate the howards have locked that is from that time and very close to brown ridge.
It is closer to get to the cemetery from brown ridge and that is also the legal riteway to it.
oldtimer

West Liberty, KY

#4 Nov 19, 2012
How do you get too it from brown ridge? Only way to it is from johnson loop or rowe flatt that i know and both ends are gated and locked. Did not think it was legal to not allow access to a cemetary
yep

Chesterfield, MO

#5 Nov 20, 2012
tom p. road takes you to about 100 yards from it.
grave seeker

Olive Hill, KY

#6 Nov 22, 2012
Is that Tom Pennington Road? What landmark would I look for on Johnson Loop?
yep

Campton, KY

#7 Nov 22, 2012
yes it is the tom pennington road on brown ridge.TOM AND ALSO HIS MOM told me that was the rite away to the cem,no cemetary road should be gated and locked if i was you i would check to see where to and how to drive to the cemetary.
oldtimer

Chesterfield, MO

#8 Nov 22, 2012
You use to be able to drive right to it from the rowe flatts before howards put a gate up. Use to be county road from rowe flat to johnson loop,don't know how they can lock people out from cemetary
yep

Campton, KY

#9 Nov 22, 2012
oldtimer wrote:
You use to be able to drive right to it from the rowe flatts before howards put a gate up. Use to be county road from rowe flat to johnson loop,don't know how they can lock people out from cemetary
If a person took it to court the road would be open to travell.the road was closed but it was not closed legal and i was told that by the lawer that helped close the road.that lawer also told me that there was onley one road ever closed legal in this county and he did it.It cost a lot moore cash then you would think to close a road legal and thats why that one was not closed legal. the owner did not wount to spend the money to close the road legal.IF I wonted to drive to that cemetary i would cut the lock open if the owner did not take the lock off.Neather gate on eather end of that road is not legal to be up.fact..........you check in on that road with a lawer and you will see i told you the truth.
grave seeker

Lexington, KY

#10 Nov 26, 2012
I was in Elliott Co. Friday the 23rd. I did find Johnson Loop. I also find a place that looked like a farm--pasture fields, large barn that was owned by Neil(????)Howard's not to far off Brown Ridge on the left side of Johnson Loop, there was a large barn past their house with old road going past the barn. No one home so I did not go past their house. Was I anywhere near the right place? I do not live in Elliott Co so it very difficult for me. I do appreciate you trying to help me.
yep

West Liberty, KY

#11 Nov 26, 2012
yes you was on the rite road.next time you come to sandy hook post when your comeing.That way i can and will help you drive to the cem, the howard man dont care if you drive to the cem, you just need to ask him for a key to drive in there.
grave seeker

Lexington, KY

#12 Nov 26, 2012
Thanks you. I will do that. If weather permits I might try it again Wed. but I will post a least the day before.
grave seeker

Lexington, KY

#13 Nov 27, 2012
Looks like it will be Friday (Nov. 30th) before I can make it back to Elliott Co. I will post Thursday to try to set-up time and meeting place. Do you have an email? Thanks again!!!!
oldtimer

Astoria, NY

#14 Nov 28, 2012
Just drive to very end of rowe flatt in newfoundlad by laurel gorge bridge and come to gate and howards live right there by it and tell them you need thru gate to goto the cemetary.
Sandra

West Liberty, KY

#15 Nov 28, 2012
My husband is familiar the name.He said this cemetery is off of Charlie Stafford Rd.This is before you get to Johnson Loop.The road is approximatly 2 miles from RT7.Charlie Stafford Rd is on the left at the foot of the hill where the stiff curve is.There is a trailor over there where Wilma Thornsberry lives.But watch for dogs.There is a old roadway you can walk right up to the cemetery.Hope this helps you.
oldtimer

Campton, KY

#16 Nov 28, 2012
After you go thru gate drive straight ahead for couple 100 yards and road makes sharp left and go another couple 100 yards and road bears to the right and you will see a ridge going up the hill on the right go up the ridge to top and you will see old cattle corral and cemetary is in woods just beyond corral.
grave seeker

Flemingsburg, KY

#17 Nov 30, 2012
Checked out cemetery behind Wilma Thornsberry's house, does have Howerton's but not the ones I am looking for. Also found the cemetery at the end of Rowe Flat, that turned out to be a Reese Flannery Cemetery, no Howerton's there. Thank you for trying. I guess I will keep looking. Appreciate all the help you guys have given me!!!
gray haired lady

West Liberty, KY

#18 Nov 30, 2012
There used to be a book in the MSU Library, in the special collections section (ask at the desk). This book listed deaths in KY, causes of deaths and the place of their interment. Lucy Howerton sounds familiar to me. There is a Rowe/Flanery cemetary at Newfoundland,there could be some of your relatives buried there. Its on the hill beside Randy and Trina Flanery's home. Hope this is helpful...
grave seeker

Flemingsburg, KY

#19 Dec 1, 2012
gray haired lady wrote:
There used to be a book in the MSU Library, in the special collections section (ask at the desk). This book listed deaths in KY, causes of deaths and the place of their interment. Lucy Howerton sounds familiar to me. There is a Rowe/Flanery cemetary at Newfoundland,there could be some of your relatives buried there. Its on the hill beside Randy and Trina Flanery's home. Hope this is helpful...
Thank you so much! I will check that out probably next week. I have been following up on all suggestions. Its very hard to find my way around Elliott Co. I believe I will offer a small reward of one hundred dollars (100 dollars) to the "FIRST" person that can email me a picture of the grave stones with the names: Newt Howerton, Nora Howerton, and Lucy Howerton, and with the directions to their grave sites. If these are the grave sites of my ancestors that I have been looking for then I will make arrangement to pay. I will post email address for contact later today.
grave seeker

Cleveland, GA

#20 Dec 1, 2012
you can email pictures to [email protected] or to facebook at howerton pages

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sandy Hook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Solar Eclipse 4 hr good suggestion 6
terry whitt (Oct '10) 4 hr Worried 6
Elliott County should defeat liberal Rocky Adkins Thu Im that guy 6
Who is judge executive Carl or Rocky? Aug 16 Taxpayer 2017 2
Lynn Porter (Aug '11) Aug 13 JustJesus 6
Elliott co's. Biggest problem-- EBT CARDS (Jan '17) Aug 13 No hanky 63
lesbians on the rise in Elliott co Aug 11 zipping 1

Sandy Hook Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance