Child's accidental shooting

Child's accidental shooting

There are 319 comments on the Independent story from May 22, 2011, titled Child's accidental shooting. In it, Independent reports that:

Police have released additional details about an accidental shooting Saturday evening in the parking lot of an Ashland restaurant that claimed the life of a 2-year-old girl.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Independent.

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
seventies child

Ashland, KY

#2 May 23, 2011
Concerned Parent wrote:
This is really a sad situation but lets face it if you are going to have a gun you need to be responsible. the gun should have been out of reach of a child and had the safety on...... And this woman is a teacher? I would not allow my child to be in her class......
Matt. 7:1 "Do not judge, or you too will be judged."
People make me really sick sitting back in their comfy chair judging people to whom they have no clue about. I do not know this family but I am heartbroken for them. Maybe instead of you judging and being mean, you might want to close your eyes, bow your head, and pray for this family to heal from such a tragedy to which I am sure is like a nightmare that they cannot wake up from.
SuzieQ

Ashland, KY

#3 May 23, 2011
Why does everyone want to blame the mother for this. It is sad that this world has came to the place it is in that you feel you have to carry a gun to protect yourself. I suppose you are one of those people who wants us all to turn in our guns so that the criminal and there are more than you can imagine..can just walk into our houre or carjack us and we are helpless. The criminal will always have a gun . Don't you think this family is suffering enough over this..it was a freak accident. Don't you know that any mother would give her life for her child. This woman is paying her price, this is something she will never heal from. And to say you wouldn't let her teach your child. Well be that way but how many teachers are sex offenders does that worry you. Rock Hill just had one. Russell had one last year. Shame on you and all of you for talking about this family. YOu should be praying for them.They have lost their baby girl to an freak accident and they have a picture in their mind they will never never ever forget. God Bless this family. God Please be with them and get them through this horrible time.
ItsTrue

Chesapeake, OH

#4 May 23, 2011
Just pray for that family. We all make mistakes but fortunately most of the time it is not a life & death situation related.
These parents need emotional support and all of our prayers.
heartbroken

Chesterfield, MO

#5 May 23, 2011
Terrible things happen to good people, because life is not fair. God please bless this family that has broken hearts and face such a tragic loss. God, please help them to stand and to allow you to move on their behalf and I pray they can be a witness to others. Things come that hurt so badly that people lose the ability to talk about it. Join me in praying for this family.
Concerned Parent

Louisville, KY

#6 May 23, 2011
As is said my heart goes out to them but lets face it there is no way a 2 year old child could cock a gun and i am not against guns but you need to use precautions when you have guns around children.... This woman is a teacher also and has lots of children under her care and it is concerning as a parent especially since there was a hand gun left in a 2 year old childs reach without safety on and cocked. I mean seriously that is irresponsable......
sled

Lexington, KY

#7 May 23, 2011
It is 100% the parents fault, what kind of idiot keeps a loaded gun somewhere that a toddler can get to it
Hypocrite

Landers, CA

#8 May 23, 2011
Concerned Parent wrote:
As is said my heart goes out to them but lets face it there is no way a 2 year old child could cock a gun and i am not against guns but you need to use precautions when you have guns around children.... This woman is a teacher also and has lots of children under her care and it is concerning as a parent especially since there was a hand gun left in a 2 year old childs reach without safety on and cocked. I mean seriously that is irresponsable......
And I say you are a hypocrite! A nosy ASS inciteful hypocrite!! You call yourself a "Concerned Parent" but all I see here is you bashing a broken family with your armchair parenting and childish criticism of a destroyed mother's profession.
I have know this woman since the early 90's and have NEVER seen anything other than a soft-hearted and emotional caring lady who loves God and life.
There aren't words to express how saddened I am for her family's loss and her emotional well being after this tragedy.
There are however, words for me to describe your immature post that you have placed on more than 1 forum on this discusting site just to get attention. You are an immature narcissistic fool who instead of praying for internal peace and recovery of emotional well being, would rather say hurtful and mean things all over the internet. I hope you have a dream or two one day just to give you a sample taste of how destroyed this poor lady is right now.
Discusting!
Concerned Parent

Louisville, KY

#9 May 23, 2011
Apparently you do not have children that would be in her class and if this site is so disgusting then why are you on here? It is irresponsible parenting sorry no matter how yu look at it. She might be a good person but yet leaving a gun to where a two year old can get to it is just irresponsible...... So i guess if it was someone else whose child got a gun and shot themselves they would deserve to be punished for that childs death? What if it was a drug dealer or something like that then it owuld be okay for that parent to be tried in fron of a judge and jury? You must be a liberal and think that right and wrong should be distinquished between who the person is...... On more than one site excuse me this is the only site i am on so get your facts straight!
ItsTrue

Chesapeake, OH

#10 May 23, 2011
Irregardless of 'being a responsible parent or not' a tragic mistake was made and it resulted in the death of a child. It's hard to imagine losing a child, but to think you caused it has to be a horrible nightmare for any parent. This family needs support and prayers, not having their lives analyzed and actions bashed, pray for the entire family.
what???

Elizabeth, NJ

#11 May 23, 2011
Concerned Parent wrote:
Apparently you do not have children that would be in her class and if this site is so disgusting then why are you on here? It is irresponsible parenting sorry no matter how yu look at it. She might be a good person but yet leaving a gun to where a two year old can get to it is just irresponsible...... So i guess if it was someone else whose child got a gun and shot themselves they would deserve to be punished for that childs death? What if it was a drug dealer or something like that then it owuld be okay for that parent to be tried in fron of a judge and jury? You must be a liberal and think that right and wrong should be distinquished between who the person is...... On more than one site excuse me this is the only site i am on so get your facts straight!
I am assuming u have children of your own and surely hope they dont make a mistake along lifes journey. Because u will probably get the blame for not raising them right then we will have to set an listen bout how u r not to blame for YOUR kids actions that they made there own decisions. Give this family some slack. It was an accident. Plain and simple. U have to be the most narrow minded uncaring "mother" of all
SMB

Akron, OH

#12 May 23, 2011
To Concerned Parent, please take the advice of others and stop bashing this family whom you know nothing about. This was a horrible tragedy bottom line. You don't know all the details. Yet you are quick to judge the entire situation on what you think you know from the media. Did it ever occur to you that this Mother may not have known the gun was there? Just something to think about. Just because she is a teacher you think she needs to be held more accountable for what happened? Ridiculous.
lets say

Ironton, OH

#13 May 23, 2011
If the child would have got into the parents WEED i bet they would be put in jail and the child would be removed from the home. Lets look at some of the people of ashland, and i know what a drug problem
we have here, but there are people sitting in jail/prison for just having a little WEED on them.
children with dirty diapers get removed from homes,
some of these are bad thing i know, but just take a look at the laws on small stuff, the kind of stuff that dont need to be so heartless. I say we give both parents some kind of training about the importance of puting their gun in safer places,
i do pray for the family and i love little children
so much, i know how the family must feel. LET THIS BE A LESSON FOR OTHER GUN OWNERS. I KNOW WE NEED GUNS FOR PROTECTION BECAUSE THE POLICE CANT BE EVERYWHERE. but please protect our children FIRST
THEY ARE NUMBER ONE! WHERE I COME FROM. I do hope this family can heal with time. GOD BLESS!
Concerned Parent

Louisville, KY

#14 May 23, 2011
SMB wrote:
To Concerned Parent, please take the advice of others and stop bashing this family whom you know nothing about. This was a horrible tragedy bottom line. You don't know all the details. Yet you are quick to judge the entire situation on what you think you know from the media. Did it ever occur to you that this Mother may not have known the gun was there? Just something to think about. Just because she is a teacher you think she needs to be held more accountable for what happened? Ridiculous.
I Know the family thank you !
Give me a BREAK

Huntington, WV

#15 May 23, 2011
I feel extremely sorry for the irresponsible parents. I am sure that it is a very traumatic experience to be going through. This is a perfect example of why people should not carry loaded weapons(even with a concealed weapon permit). Irresponsibility killed this child!! God be with them.
Concerned Parent

Louisville, KY

#16 May 23, 2011
This is a perfect example of why people should not carry loaded weapons(even with a concealed weapon permit). Irresponsibility killed this child!!

Agreed!
Irresponible

West Liberty, KY

#17 May 23, 2011
The parents are to blame. I have a 2 year old and yeah I make mistakes, but never would I leave a gun loaded and apparently no safety on withing reach of my daughter. You can get mad but everybody knows where the blame lies. Neglect plain and simple. And I also have a handgun, but it is kept in a lockbox in the top of my closet. And the mom I'm assuming knew the gun was there. Why would she allow her child to play that close to a loaded gun? And knowing it was within the child's reach. So I hope that the commonwealth attorney does bring up charges of negligent homicide. If they are that irresponsible it does make you fear for the other child's safety. If it was a bottle of pills that the child got into and overdosed then the parents would be charged, this is no different.
Concerned Parent

Louisville, KY

#18 May 23, 2011
Irresponible wrote:
The parents are to blame. I have a 2 year old and yeah I make mistakes, but never would I leave a gun loaded and apparently no safety on withing reach of my daughter. You can get mad but everybody knows where the blame lies. Neglect plain and simple. And I also have a handgun, but it is kept in a lockbox in the top of my closet. And the mom I'm assuming knew the gun was there. Why would she allow her child to play that close to a loaded gun? And knowing it was within the child's reach. So I hope that the commonwealth attorney does bring up charges of negligent homicide. If they are that irresponsible it does make you fear for the other child's safety. If it was a bottle of pills that the child got into and overdosed then the parents would be charged, this is no different.
I agree and that is the whole point, yes my heart goes out to this family and i know them but neglect is neglect.... The child should have been supervised a little closer and no one should have a loaded gun n their console cocked and ready to shoot.... But more people are worried about how the family feels.... Guess what if the gun was stored properly that baby would still be here and we would not have this problem... But no, i have to be the bad person here... Right is right!
SMB

Akron, OH

#19 May 23, 2011
To Concerned Parent- Your heart goes out to the family? What heart?
Common Sense

Greenup, KY

#20 May 23, 2011
ItsTrue wrote:
Irregardless of 'being a responsible parent or not' a tragic mistake was made and it resulted in the death of a child. It's hard to imagine losing a child, but to think you caused it has to be a horrible nightmare for any parent. This family needs support and prayers, not having their lives analyzed and actions bashed, pray for the entire family.
What's the difference between "irregardless" and regardless?
Concerned Parent

Louisville, KY

#21 May 23, 2011
SMB wrote:
To Concerned Parent- Your heart goes out to the family? What heart?
So you are saying this childs death is just an accident and no one should be held accountable for their actions? So, lets say someone leaves their oxycontins down and a child ingests them, thats not the adults fault, the child should have known better than to take them? There is no double standard here.... A child got hurt becuase of bad choices on the parents behalf. SOmeone should be held accountable!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sandy Hook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Amy porter 1 hr Ricky 7
herpie hill 1 hr You are the one 1
Stephanie porter 1 hr Ohhyea 1
Angela Pennington 1 hr Concerned 1
Frances Burton 1 hr Frances Cousin 15
Debbie Maxie 2 hr Debbie Maxie 10
Angie/Angela Maxie/Keeton 2 hr Angie Cousin 3

Sandy Hook Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance