Parade patrons arrive early

Full story: NewsTimes.com

Early Monday -- long before the Labor Day parade brass bands, the fire department Dalmatians, the church floats, and the politicians strolling and smiling like the word "Cheese!'' was encrypted in their brains ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
A Newtwon Resident

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

What a beautiful day for a parade, down Main Street in Newtown was beautiful. Everyone had their flags out, their lawns cut, kids galore! A real hometown site. A grand day it was!
Where is Chris

New Milford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

The Cappiello group clearly outclassed the Murphy contingent. Maybe if Chris had showed up more people would have marched with him. But the difference in numbers of supporters for the two candidates was stark.

Native son Cappiello will do well in these parts come November.

Local Hero

Wallingford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

OK, we can cut Murphy some slack for not being at the parade, but his lack of showing by supporters speaks volumes. His purely anti-war victory over Nancy Johnson doesn't appear to bode well for re-election. Cappiello is a locally known quantity, with a history of delivering what he promises. His throngs of supporters are evidence of that.
UNBELIEVABLE

New Haven, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

This was the LONGEST parade in history. It was also very poorly planned out. There was no flow to the parade. They should take some pointers from the Town of Brookfield...they know how to put on a parade.
tom

Bethany, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

UNBELIEVABLE: Shaddap! Every year feels like the longest parade in history, so if you can't look beyond that, you need to stay home, ya old crank! It's about coming together as a town and having some good clean old-fashioned fun. Its not about being entertained by the various random parrade entrants, like Windowland truck, or expecting expert production value and superior parade pacing from the organizers.(Having said that, Windowland can stay home next year!) There's something goofy about a convoy of 11 tow trucks driving by, or two different septic companies. But all that helps make the parade unique. Embrace it.
Frustrated Dem

New Milford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

Too bad Ralph Nader didn't march in the parade. Given our frustration with Dodd/Lieberman/Pelosi and Murphy, he would have been a much-needed breath of fresh air.
what the hec

Shelton, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

how is it "unique"to have these trucks in the parade if we see these trucks driving by this route every day of the year anyway? they could of at least made a float or decorated the trucks?
tom wrote:
UNBELIEVABLE: Shaddap! Every year feels like the longest parade in history, so if you can't look beyond that, you need to stay home, ya old crank! It's about coming together as a town and having some good clean old-fashioned fun. Its not about being entertained by the various random parrade entrants, like Windowland truck, or expecting expert production value and superior parade pacing from the organizers.(Having said that, Windowland can stay home next year!) There's something goofy about a convoy of 11 tow trucks driving by, or two different septic companies. But all that helps make the parade unique. Embrace it.
Give him a Break

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2008

Judged:

Give Chris Murphy a break, he just had a new baby boy! Cappiello did have a great showing, hat's off to him! I did notice that the young fellow Lyddy always seems to pull through as he once again made a nice appearance. Good luck to all in November!
UNBELIEVABLE

New Haven, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2008

Judged:

tom wrote:
I took my daughter because she was marching in it. I expected to see marching bands, political figures, brownie and girl scout troops,military people, and color guards...NOT septic trucks and Hillario's full truck fleet. I certainly did not have the impression I was going to a Macy's Parade. It is turning into one huge advertisement. Maybe they could have these businesses have sponsor banners...we don't need to see 500 businesses march and have a 3 1/2 hour parade to feel hometown pride!
Jim From Woodbury

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2008

Judged:

UNBELIEVABLE wrote:
<quoted text>
I took my daughter because she was marching in it. I expected to see marching bands, political figures, brownie and girl scout troops,military people, and color guards...NOT septic trucks and Hillario's full truck fleet. I certainly did not have the impression I was going to a Macy's Parade. It is turning into one huge advertisement. Maybe they could have these businesses have sponsor banners...we don't need to see 500 businesses march and have a 3 1/2 hour parade to feel hometown pride!
Agree! Used to live on main street in Newtown back in the 60's and 70's and watched all the parades from our front porch. Several years ago visited friends during the parade on the route and could not believe the undecorated septic trucks, tow trucks, dump trucks, etc.. There should be minimal standards criteria. How things change over the years.. But, i guess they are looking for quanity vs quality.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Sandy Hook Discussions

Search the Sandy Hook Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Texas law professor calls for repeal of Second ... (Nov '13) 2 hr I speak for dozens 9,052
Huge abandoned house in Newtown 14 hr justwondering 1
Brookfield weight loss center triples in size, ... Jul 5 Chiropractor from Chicago 2
Sandy Hook shooting Jul 3 Riverbank resident 1
find people for free sex here! (Sep '13) Jun 24 Tanner 8
Danbury man faces assault charges after ex-wife... (Feb '08) Jun 23 Yup your 188
Bethel votes down town budget again Jun 17 hmm 2
•••
•••

Sandy Hook News Video

•••
•••

Sandy Hook Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Sandy Hook People Search