Charlottesville Coca-Cola Plant Closing

Charlottesville Coca-Cola Plant Closing

There are 52 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jul 26, 2010, titled Charlottesville Coca-Cola Plant Closing. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

July 26, 2010 The Mid-Atlantic Coca-Cola Bottling Company announced today that its Charlottesville, VA operations will be consolidated into the company's Sandston, VA facility on September 17, 2010.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
lost

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Jul 27, 2010
I am so sick of consolidation. I lost 2 jobs due to consolidation. Hard as hell to find a new job at 57. GGGrrrrr!
ricardo

Lexington, VA

#2 Jul 27, 2010
another major employer bites the dust. Where are all the new jobs Obama promised? are they tied to the census

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#3 Jul 27, 2010
lost wrote:
I am so sick of consolidation. I lost 2 jobs due to consolidation. Hard as hell to find a new job at 57. GGGrrrrr!
Hard to find a job at 27.
wise one

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Jul 27, 2010
ricardo wrote:
another major employer bites the dust. Where are all the new jobs Obama promised? are they tied to the census
He can promise the WORLD BUT HE CAN NOT KEEP HIS WORD. Charlottesville is going to be a GHOST TOWN IN TEN YEARS FROM NOW. If anyone belives what comes out of his mounth deservise what every happens to the USA. LET'S PUT HIM BACK IN THERE THE NEXT TIME ALSO. He did promise WALFARE is a big picture of the USA and that means we will all be on it if he has his way and we are all falling for his creap.
judy

Mechanicsville, VA

#5 Jul 27, 2010
It's a shame to close the Coca~Cola facility after all the years of service to the Charlottesville community. The employees there will have to relocate or find other jobs which is not good in these economic times. There have been many, many people who have worked for Coca~Cola over the years and I'm sure they are sorry to see it leave the area. I wish them the very best.
I would like to see the building stay because it seems almost like an historical landmark it's been around so long.At least save the writing on the wall out front as a reminder of days gone by the wayside.
alias

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Jul 27, 2010
Great, more people competing with me for jobs
Yes

Warren, MI

#7 Jul 27, 2010
Judy, I agree 100%, was just going to post that it's somewhat of a historical landmark. That building has been there for as long as I can remember, and I have a lot of memories associated with it. I can't imagine it being gone. As for the employees, this is truly a shame. Hopefully something can be done.
Foo

Moneta, VA

#8 Jul 27, 2010
ricardo wrote:
Let's not forget that he inherited the economic meltdown.
C-ville Native

Rocky Mount, VA

#9 Jul 27, 2010
Sad to see them go. I remember going by that building as a child when they still had the window in front and watching the bottles move by on the line.

Can't Ken Boyd do something to keep them here? He is such a business friendly guy; but I guess that only applies to 29 North.....
Former Cville resident

Tampa, FL

#10 Jul 27, 2010
Do not know how Coca Cola will Manage the Charlotteaville Area from Richmond. That will cost more in Fuel and up keep. Acquire a new facility if the old plant is too small. What will 42 people do for work...some have been with Coke for 25+ years. Just unacceptable. IF I still lived there I would cease to buy any coke product and may still even though I live far away.
dont worry

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Jul 27, 2010
The building is a protected historical site.
ThanksCoke

Keswick, VA

#14 Jul 27, 2010
not all 42 people will lose their jobs. A lot of what people drink already comes from there anyway. You just can not make the building any bigger in C'ville, and they need to be bigger to get better. And as far as the people that have been there for 20+ years and they don't make the move it will be a shame. Glad Coke gave everyone TIME to find a new job at 40+ years old. I guess we will never retire if we have to work until we are 115 now.
Crozetbob

Macomb, MI

#15 Jul 27, 2010
Things go better with COKE! They just go better in Sandston.
NRA MEMBER

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Jul 27, 2010
What do I remember about Coke? No product on the shelves, machines that would take your money and not give you a drink, if it did give you a drink sometimes it was not what you wanted. You call them and you get the run around. They were rude and had a I DON"T CARE TONE. I say good by and good riddance. I just hope they fire the management that was here.
Crozetbob

Macomb, MI

#19 Jul 27, 2010
How did this morph into an anti-Obama thread from a company making a wise business decision? Using that silly logic lets give the President credit for the new Harris-Teeter in Crozet or the new Wal-Mart in Greene Co. And to Coca-Cola, why cant I find Fanta root beer anymore?
The REAL Dark Side

Charlottesville, VA

#26 Jul 27, 2010
Foo wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not that I was offended by your comments, it's just that I think it's normal for the head of state in any country to meet with and entertain others who are distinguished in their field, be that business, science or the arts. We can't really start making lists of who is and who is not appropriate for the president to entertain.
Sure, Obama could have found decent pizza in DC (the chef he flew in was a pizza chef in MO), I'm sure he knows that. But what an honor for the chef from St Louis. Can you imagine how excited he was? What a privilege it was for him?
Personally I think it's great that a chef in one of the 'flyover states' would be given the opportunity to cook for the President at the White House. Surely that's a privilege that shouldn't be limited to those chefs within driving distance of DC. It is the entire nation's Capitol after all.
I know Obama has his critics, but if you want to criticize there has to be something better than complaining about his guest list or choice of chef when entertaining.
Nobama should be setting an example and not be wasting resources on flying in a chef from another state to just cook. Charlottesville wouldn't let Coca-Coloa expand their building and they are leaving. They wouldn't let Martha Jefferson expand or build up and they left to the county. Look at all that money from taxes GONE!! If the liberals don't get off their feel good projects for illegals and those that refuse to work for a living this city will be a ghost town before too long!!!
Foo

Moneta, VA

#30 Jul 27, 2010
The REAL Dark Side wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobama should be setting an example and not be wasting resources on flying in a chef from another state to just cook.
Oh come on, now we're name calling. Are you still in middle school?
The REAL Dark Side wrote:
Charlottesville wouldn't let Coca-Coloa expand their building and they are leaving. They wouldn't let Martha Jefferson expand or build up and they left to the county. Look at all that money from taxes GONE!!
Coca Cola are leaving because there isn't room to expand their existing site and they have a facility nearby that can meet the capacity demands. That's plain economics. The challenge for the city is to find a new tenant for the site.

Similarly, look at a map - where were Martha Jefferson to expand to? The city simply lacks sites for large developments. That's not the Liberals fault, it's geography. Given the financial interest Martha Jefferson Hospital have in getting that site redeveloped, it's going to be employing folk inside the city sooner rather than later.

But clearly your mind is made up - so why don't you tells us how the two should have expanded? Maybe Coca Cola could have build an underground extension under Preston Avenue? Maybe Martha Jefferson could have built a forty story skyscraper int he midst of town? So you tell us. I'm all ears.
Joe

Smithfield, VA

#31 Jul 27, 2010
Yawn from the Obama comments.
FreelanceEMT

Charlottesville, VA

#32 Jul 27, 2010
Foo wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh come on, now we're name calling. Are you still in middle school?
<quoted text>
Coca Cola are leaving because there isn't room to expand their existing site and they have a facility nearby that can meet the capacity demands. That's plain economics. The challenge for the city is to find a new tenant for the site.
Similarly, look at a map - where were Martha Jefferson to expand to? The city simply lacks sites for large developments. That's not the Liberals fault, it's geography. Given the financial interest Martha Jefferson Hospital have in getting that site redeveloped, it's going to be employing folk inside the city sooner rather than later.
But clearly your mind is made up - so why don't you tells us how the two should have expanded? Maybe Coca Cola could have build an underground extension under Preston Avenue? Maybe Martha Jefferson could have built a forty story skyscraper int he midst of town? So you tell us. I'm all ears.
Actually Martha Jefferson hospital did want to expand upwards by three floors but Charlottesville would not let them. Coca cola could have expanded upwards as well, but do you know how hard it is to get a building permit in charlottesville? Its almost as hard as flying without wings. The amount of hoops you have to jump through is ridiculous. And because Charlottesville is a "college town" thanks to UVA any shop along 29 has to be built in brick. We have the only brick Sams Club and Walmart in the nation. So they probably moved for the same reason as Martha Jefferson did. Too much headache to try to get the building permit.
aaa

Charlottesville, VA

#34 Jul 27, 2010
The thing about the warehouse being to small is b.s. Management is the biggest problem with the preston ave. facility. The employees were told that this would not happen. And the excuse that the facility is to small is not true. obviously management knew of this a few months back due to some changes that happened.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sandston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
other peoples belongings (May '14) May '14 Robyn Richardson 1
the best largest dating website in the world! (Sep '13) Sep '13 Azzie Buley 1
News Charlottesville Insurance Agent Charged with Fr... (Sep '12) Jan '13 Florida 36
Kimora Day Spa (Aug '12) Aug '12 Whats the scoop? 1
Closest RV Park to Sandston (May '12) May '12 Really 1
News Ex-Henrico officer gets 3 years for DUI and mai... (Sep '11) Sep '11 UMG_ONE 1
News 325 National Guard Troops at VA Staging Areas -... (Aug '11) Aug '11 cahoots 3

Sandston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sandston Mortgages