Charlottesville Insurance Agent Charged with Fraud - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports ...

A Charlottesville insurance agent faces more than a dozen mail fraud charges after a hearing in Charlottesville Federal Court Wednesday morning. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
ding

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Sep 26, 2012
Wasn't he a farmer's agent?
Reader

Richmond, VA

#2 Sep 26, 2012
Hope he gets the full eentence for each charge when his trial comes up. He's no better than Bernie Madoff and needs to serve his full term for his dishonesty, greed and fraud.
Susan

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Sep 26, 2012
Yes, he was a Farmer's agent. He duped good honest people of their hard earned money! He was totally corrupt and deserves everything coming his way! 20 years isn't enough!
Any Victims ----- Please

Waynesboro, VA

#4 Sep 26, 2012
It is my hopes and prayers that any other victims(which in cases like this their usually is more unreported victims) that have suffered loss as a result of Graham Messer's fraud, please come forward by reporting the incident to local law enforcement, Federal Bureau of Investigation or the Virginia Department of Insurance.
Any Victims ----- Please

Waynesboro, VA

#5 Sep 26, 2012
Susan wrote:
Yes, he was a Farmer's agent. He duped good honest people of their hard earned money! He was totally corrupt and deserves everything coming his way! 20 years isn't enough!
It is 20 years per count.
Any Victims ----- Please

Waynesboro, VA

#6 Sep 26, 2012
Susan wrote:
He will probably plea out and get probation and have to pay restitution. That's why we need to alert the community to report the fraud to local law enforcement if they were of victim of Graham Messer's scheme.
Insurance scammed

Penn Laird, VA

#7 Sep 26, 2012
Ernest Fortney did this same thing for decades with car insurance. He would put your premium in a drawer until another premium was due and if you didn't have a claim, he would put it in his pocket. If you notified him you were filing a claim, he would submit the premium and back date the policy.

Back in the 70's we were insured by this man. My husband wrecked during the holidays when Fortney was out of town for two weeks. We went to his office when he returned to try to file a claim and Fortney opened a drawer and pulled out our uncashed check and handed it to us and said "sorry, it's too late to submit the check and backdate the policy." Nothing ever happened to him, even when we took the check, dated six months before, and reported him to Nationwide and tried to get him to cover the wreck.

This was still going on in the 90's when my brother found out the hard way.
Messer Dirtbag

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Sep 26, 2012
So these trucking companies were running heavy commercial equipment up and down the road without knowing they didn't have insurance. That's cute.
Messer Dirtbag

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Sep 26, 2012
Insurance scammed wrote:
Ernest Fortney did this same thing for decades with car insurance. He would put your premium in a drawer until another premium was due and if you didn't have a claim, he would put it in his pocket.
This is exactly why insurance companies now allow you to pay the premiums to them online, as opposed to paying the agents. I pay my insurance directly to Erie, not to the local agent.
Gnu

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Sep 26, 2012
tar and feather this sob
Yupppp

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Sep 26, 2012
Did you get a receipt? That is your ammo. I was a sucka once. Agent off Commonwealth drive took my motorcycle cash payment and gave me an in house receipt. Fast forward several months and my license gets suspended for no insurance.(I did not have stable housing, so missed that mail). I went back over there and they said the lady I paid had quit the next day. With my cash. Nice. Now I pay using my bill pay.
Insurance scammed wrote:
Ernest Fortney did this same thing for decades with car insurance. He would put your premium in a drawer until another premium was due and if you didn't have a claim, he would put it in his pocket. If you notified him you were filing a claim, he would submit the premium and back date the policy.
Back in the 70's we were insured by this man. My husband wrecked during the holidays when Fortney was out of town for two weeks. We went to his office when he returned to try to file a claim and Fortney opened a drawer and pulled out our uncashed check and handed it to us and said "sorry, it's too late to submit the check and backdate the policy." Nothing ever happened to him, even when we took the check, dated six months before, and reported him to Nationwide and tried to get him to cover the wreck.
This was still going on in the 90's when my brother found out the hard way.
If you pop dont stop huh

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Sep 26, 2012
Its kind of hard work to scam people that harshly providing fake invoices,mail ins, and fake account numbers. It would have been easier to work for Wall Street and he wouldn't be facing jail time for gambling with other peoples money. 20 years is way too harsh for this dude.
jogger

Brookneal, VA

#13 Sep 26, 2012
this guy is in the same category as car salesmen, lawyers and other assorted....scum of the earth.....
Insurance scammed

Penn Laird, VA

#14 Sep 26, 2012
Messer Dirtbag wrote:
<quoted text>
This is exactly why insurance companies now allow you to pay the premiums to them online, as opposed to paying the agents. I pay my insurance directly to Erie, not to the local agent.
I have been with Weaver/Erie ever since and never had a problem with them. I now pay my car insurance online and my homeowner's is paid by my mortgage company, so I don't have a problem. Once burned and all, I still keep an eagle eye on all insurance policies.
Ice Dogg

Richmond, VA

#15 Sep 26, 2012
I am just one of the 47% so I dont carry any insurance. Or pay taxes. When I get gas I have the clerk deduct the state and federal taxes. No sales tax either. My mortgage company refunds my homeowners policy. And UVA hospital emergency room has all my medical records.
john

Palmyra, VA

#16 Sep 26, 2012
Free on bond!!! You got to be kidding me. He's a crack head on the way south.
idiot

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Sep 26, 2012
Reader wrote:
Hope he gets the full eentence for each charge when his trial comes up. He's no better than Bernie Madoff and needs to serve his full term for his dishonesty, greed and fraud.
More smart people posting I see.

Do you know who Bernie Madoff is? You are comparing a small time insurance agent who probably defrauded 10 entities of no more than $50,000 total.

Madoff bankrupted thousands and thousands of people, and stole entire 401k plans from local municipalities, hospitals, etc. in the billions of dollars.

See the difference?
Dude

Purcellville, VA

#19 Sep 26, 2012
idiot wrote:
<quoted text>
More smart people posting I see.
Do you know who Bernie Madoff is? You are comparing a small time insurance agent who probably defrauded 10 entities of no more than $50,000 total.
Madoff bankrupted thousands and thousands of people, and stole entire 401k plans from local municipalities, hospitals, etc. in the billions of dollars.
See the difference?
No, the concept is the same. Does it matter if a pedophile rapes 10 two year olds or a million two year olds? One just got caught earlier.
Any Victims ----- Please

Waynesboro, VA

#21 Sep 27, 2012
Dude wrote:
<quoted text>No, the concept is the same. Does it matter if a pedophile rapes 10 two year olds or a million two year olds? One just got caught earlier.
It seems that Graham Messer just responded to your post. Who other would assume that it was 10 or less. Agreed, the concept is the same no matter how many you defraud. A criminal tactic is minimizing just as the post just did. Messer and Madoff have the same criminal thinking....period.Moreover, even if only 10 charges were filed, rest assured many more went unreported or were not able to be prosecuted due to lack of evidence, etc.
WOW

Marktheidenfeld, Germany

#22 Sep 27, 2012
so prison for criminal thinking?
interesting view of justice...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sandston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why They Hate Obama (Aug '13) 1 hr Here Is One 12,467
44. Delegate Joe Morrissey (Jul '11) 15 hr stasiland 12
moving from ky to va help me Jan 27 Buddy Mitchell 6
Group stages die-in at Richmond Police Departme... Jan 22 pragmatist 1
HOLMBERG: Hood-jumping "put 'em in a coffin" tr... Jan 22 pragmatist 1
Local Gay Rights Advocates Fight Controversial ... Jan 20 DNF 15
No More Comments on Channel 6 WTVR? Jan 19 Ank 1
Sandston Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web