Why You Shouldn't Work for JPA Landscape

Why You Shouldn't Work for JPA Landscape

Posted in the San Ramon Forum

DCA

Tracy, CA

#1 Mar 20, 2013
This company is horrible to their employees.

They don't pay overtime - they will straight tell their workers - if you are not back by a certain time we are not going to pay you.

They don't equip their workers with proper safety equipment - they tell their employees "they" have to buy that for themselves - yet these are W2 employees NOT contractors.

The owner is a rich, snobby horrible prick who degrades his workers on a daily basis...pays them cheap crappy pay...cuz you know the rich have to get richer.

If they don't like their employees they'll just ship them out to a far away location where it makes it impossible for the employee to stay there (because of fuel cost and travel time) in hopes that the employee will quit - therefore letting them skip out on unemployment claims.

It is a HOSTILE working environment... unfortunately nobody says anything for fear of losing their job.

If you want a real future with a REAL company - never work here.

Has anyone else had experience with this company? Either on an employee or customer basis?

Since: Mar 11

Livermore 94551

#2 Mar 20, 2013
DCA wrote:

They don't pay overtime - they will straight tell their workers - if you are not back by a certain time we are not going to pay you.

They don't equip their workers with proper safety equipment - they tell their employees "they" have to buy that for themselves - yet these are W2 employees NOT contractors.

The owner is a rich, snobby horrible prick who degrades his workers on a daily basis...pays them cheap crappy pay...cuz you know the rich have to get richer.

If they don't like their employees they'll just ship them out to a far away location where it makes it impossible for the employee to stay there (because of fuel cost and travel time) in hopes that the employee will quit - therefore letting them skip out on unemployment claims.

It is a HOSTILE working environment... unfortunately nobody says anything for fear of losing their job.

Has anyone else had experience with this company? Either on an employee or customer basis?
It sounds like you have a claim with the labor board. And you would probably get farther with them than you will here.
Jose

San Francisco, CA

#3 Mar 20, 2013
DCA wrote:
Sounds like you might be his competition trying to steer business away from him. Call the labor board if all this is indeed true

Since: Mar 11

Livermore 94551

#4 Mar 20, 2013
Jose wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like you might be his competition trying to steer business away from him. Call the labor board if all this is indeed true
Yeah, I don't think people come on here for landscape references, or employer reviews. I also suggested the labor board.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#5 Mar 21, 2013
If you don't like the company, then you don't have to work there.
Clearly some people feel that is the best job they are going to find, or else they would find another job and quit.

There are lots of jobs available in the manual labor/landscaper industry - so I'm sure that people have other choices besides this company. They could always work for themselves, too, you know. Get a truck, a mower, and a few tools and you're in business as a landscaper.
DCA

Tracy, CA

#6 Mar 21, 2013
Ssophiiee wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounds like you have a claim with the labor board. And you would probably get farther with them than you will here.
Yes we have already reported them..now it's a waiting game.
DCA

Tracy, CA

#7 Mar 21, 2013
Jose wrote:
<quoted text> Sounds like you might be his competition trying to steer business away from him. Call the labor board if all this is indeed true
Nope, I am a relative of a hard working man who works for this crap company - nobody deserves to be treated the way the owner treats these workers.
DCA

Tracy, CA

#8 Mar 21, 2013
Ssophiiee wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I don't think people come on here for landscape references, or employer reviews. I also suggested the labor board.
People come on here to discuss all sorts of things..so I really don't see your point.
DCA

Tracy, CA

#9 Mar 21, 2013
The Real Anon wrote:
If you don't like the company, then you don't have to work there.
Clearly some people feel that is the best job they are going to find, or else they would find another job and quit.
There are lots of jobs available in the manual labor/landscaper industry - so I'm sure that people have other choices besides this company. They could always work for themselves, too, you know. Get a truck, a mower, and a few tools and you're in business as a landscaper.
Well how nice it must be to have job opportunities pouring in..some of us don't have that luxury..unless you are ok with making minimum wage..people who have children to support need to make quite a bit more than that. Unfortunately the landscape trade is slim pickens right now...and of course you would never leave until you had something else lined up first.

And working for yourself is not as easy as you are making it sound...you have to have a business license, insurance...among other things...without that you would be under the table which is illegal and risky.
Jose

San Francisco, CA

#10 Mar 22, 2013
DCA wrote:
<quoted text>
Well how nice it must be to have job opportunities pouring in..some of us don't have that luxury..unless you are ok with making minimum wage..people who have children to support need to make quite a bit more than that. Unfortunately the landscape trade is slim pickens right now...and of course you would never leave until you had something else lined up first.
And working for yourself is not as easy as you are making it sound...you have to have a business license, insurance...among other things...without that you would be under the table which is illegal and risky.
Should've stayed in school.
DCA

Tracy, CA

#11 Mar 23, 2013
Jose wrote:
<quoted text>Should've stayed in school.
That's a very snobby thing to say..for one, it doesn't matter what one's background is - nobody deserves to be treated like crap - I don't care what trade you choose..it's just not right.

And two - I know many people that have an education but choose these trades because they enjoy them.

Your comment implies that just because someone works in landscaping that they don't have an education..very stereotypical and ignorant of you.

Location hidden

#12 Mar 23, 2013
DCA wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a very snobby thing to say..for one, it doesn't matter what one's background is - nobody deserves to be treated like crap - I don't care what trade you choose..it's just not right.
And two - I know many people that have an education but choose these trades because they enjoy them.
Your comment implies that just because someone works in landscaping that they don't have an education..very stereotypical and ignorant of you.
Well if they don't like the terms of their employment, they're free to quit and find a different job with terms they prefer. It's that simple.

Location hidden

#13 Mar 23, 2013
DCA wrote:
<quoted text>
Cmon, how old are you? Adults understand that job opportunities don't COME to you, you have to go find them. BTW you don't need a business license to do landscape maintenance (ie, gardening). And unless you're taking on landscape contracting jobs that are worth more than $500 a pop there is nothing inherently illegal about working for hire without being licensed by the California State Contractor's Board for landscape and irrigation. Lots of people do it. And, if you do want to be licensed, its not really all that expensive - and if you're going "upmarket" and taking on those bigger jobs, then you can probably afford to incur the expenses of getting the business license and the contractors license. You could pay for an entire year's worth of licensure on the first 40 hour job.
DCA

Tracy, CA

#14 Apr 7, 2013
The Real Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Cmon, how old are you? Adults understand that job opportunities don't COME to you, you have to go find them. BTW you don't need a business license to do landscape maintenance (ie, gardening). And unless you're taking on landscape contracting jobs that are worth more than $500 a pop there is nothing inherently illegal about working for hire without being licensed by the California State Contractor's Board for landscape and irrigation. Lots of people do it. And, if you do want to be licensed, its not really all that expensive - and if you're going "upmarket" and taking on those bigger jobs, then you can probably afford to incur the expenses of getting the business license and the contractors license. You could pay for an entire year's worth of licensure on the first 40 hour job.
And how old are you? Thinking that you can just pull a start up company outta your ass? You have to have money to start up anything..not everybody has that.

Location hidden

#15 Apr 17, 2013
DCA wrote:
<quoted text>
And how old are you? Thinking that you can just pull a start up company outta your ass? You have to have money to start up anything..not everybody has that.
A "start up company" makes it sound like some complicated endeavor with a lot of employees, office space, expensive equipment. I'm talking about a sole proprietorship, a one man (or two) operation run from home, using a truck (or two) and $1K or less in "equipment" that you can buy brand new at Sears. The start up costs are very low. You do need a truck though. Hey, if these Mexicans can come here with nothing but the shirts on their backs and do it, then you can too.
Pissed off

Lodi, CA

#16 Jan 29, 2016
I just got jerked around royally by this company. Told me in phone interview that I would be really good for an account manager position. Next day I received an email expressing their interest in interviewing me and then a few hours later I received another email saying that I'm not qualified. Don't waste your time with these guys

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Ramon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Post Wins (Dec '11) 3 hr Red_Forman 4,264
falsely accused or abused by DCFS or Juvenille ... (Jul '12) 6 hr regi most 4
News ADA serial plaintiff probed by IRS, federal pro... 21 hr Julie Jane 1
News The Claycord Online Museum - Lehmer's, the Olde... 21 hr Julie Ann 1
Drop a Word ~ Add a Word (Nov '11) Thu Princess Hey 4,847
Who is Chris Minadeo? Thu curious 1
What are the names of the different gangs in Ha... (Jun '10) Apr 27 Haywardhaseyes 234
More from around the web

Personal Finance

San Ramon Mortgages