Livermore Mom

San Ramon, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2011

This school was around forever and had a good reputation. Sad that the property has been just sitting there now for years. With the CA state budget mess and the impact to our schools am I alone in thinking that it would be nice to revive this non-religious private school?
Local Dude

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2011

Whatever happened to Stivers anyway? Why did it close?
Livermore Mom

San Ramon, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2011

Both Mr. & Mrs. Passed away some time ago within months of each other.
Jen

San Ramon, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2011

It is available for lease...i guess no one has the money to open a new school. It is still in nice condition considering it has been sitting. A friend of mine was thinking of relocating to this property and I went along to view. They still have a bike track in the back and a pool.
Gwen

Pine Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2011

I would like to know who to contact regarding the lease for the Stivers Academy in Livermore.
Livermore mom

San Ramon, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2011

Gwen wrote:
I would like to know who to contact regarding the lease for the Stivers Academy in Livermore.
There is a huge sign posted in front of the property that has the agents name and number. You might want to head over there and check it out.
Gwen

Pioneer, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2011

Thanks so much for your info, Livermore mom. It's just that I live two and a half hours from Livermore. All I would need is the name
of the agency or phone number.
Amom

Livermore, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2011

I drove by there today but did not see a real estate sign. There were 2 cars in the parking lot and what looked like a pressure washer in the north corridor. It appears that people are doing some work on the grounds, but I couldn't tell you what they are doing exactly.
Marc W

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2011

OMG! I went to that school as well as the preschool in Castro Valley back in the 70's. Mrs. Stivers busted my knuckles with a wooden ruler on 2 occasions. Sounds funny, but that was there deal in the 70's, old school. We had to wear salt and pepper courduroy's with white button up shirt. Mrs. Stivers had a huge Beehive hair-doo and believe it or not, my first grade teacher there (who was a female) was Mrs. Cooper, what was her first name??...it was actually Alice!! LOL
Renee

Katy, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2012

I remember the summer camp at their horse ranch. I went twice over two summers. It was really fun.
Gwen

Pioneer, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

Renee,
We purchased the Stivers' horse ranch near Glencoe some years ago and have been in the process of restoring it to its former use as a summer camp for children. We would like to put together some background information on it but unfortunately the Stivers'son,Jack Stivers and his wife passed away suddenly as they were making plans to visit the ranch and share their photos and memories with us. We are aware that the property was used as a summer camp through hearsay and a few comments made by locals, but most locals who lived here 20 or so years ago have moved on. Until we happened to read your comment today, we have been unable to find anyone who attended the summer camp.
So if you get this reply we would be very happy to communicate with you and hear about anything you can remember about your summer camp experience. We have renamed the ranch Sky Ridge Ranch. We will have a horse riding program as well as a lot of other fun activities.
Teresa F

Davis, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Marc, you and I had the same first grade teacher during the 70's.

We had a student in our small class who Mrs. Cooper seemed to greatly dislike. She used to threaten to put airplane tape over his mouth. Each day, this student (can't remember his name) spent class time standing in a corner at the front of the class.

Mrs. Cooper once let me stay in class during recess to let me make a birthday card for my mom. Someone set off the fire alarm. Mr.(Jack) Stivers was running through all the classrooms when he found me. He swore up and down I released the alarm. He was threatening to take off his belt (in motion to remove it) to spank me for lying. I was so scared, he must have beleived me since I escaped the belt.

There were never any disciplinary issues at the school (that I noticed anyway), unlike a nearby elementary school I also later attended.
Castro Valley mom

Castro Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

I went there as well in the 70's and also went to the summer horse camp for three years, loved the ranch up near Railroad Flat. Was a great place, sad that the school and ranch are no longer around.
Kathy

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Gwen wrote:
Renee,
We purchased the Stivers' horse ranch near Glencoe some years ago and have been in the process of restoring it to its former use as a summer camp for children. We would like to put together some background information on it but unfortunately the Stivers'son,Jack Stivers and his wife passed away suddenly as they were making plans to visit the ranch and share their photos and memories with us. We are aware that the property was used as a summer camp through hearsay and a few comments made by locals, but most locals who lived here 20 or so years ago have moved on. Until we happened to read your comment today, we have been unable to find anyone who attended the summer camp.
So if you get this reply we would be very happy to communicate with you and hear about anything you can remember about your summer camp experience. We have renamed the ranch Sky Ridge Ranch. We will have a horse riding program as well as a lot of other fun activities.
I am interested in your property as a potential school site or in partnering with you as a school site. We are a very specialized school of 16 students for the Fall of 2013 looking for a space. Thank you Kathy
Wendy

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

I attended the Stivers Ranch when I was five (1973). I don't remember much. Dorms rooms, daily horse rides, a swimming pool and trips into town via horse drawn cart for root beer popciicles.
Wendy

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

Also. Mrs. Stivers had her hair done at the salon my mom worked at for many years. I'll never forget that hey black beehive. One if the reasons I dyed my hair black for many, many years, I am sure.
jeff

Rosemead, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

i loved that ranch! shoot guns, fishing, log cabin, horse rides. good stuff. It was early 70s with mrs yarbourgh, mrs perrin, ms louanne, and mr. stivers. if you were bad in jack's class, you'd get an eraser thrown at you or get a session in the bathroom (tom fogg, j d rabie if you're out there). pretty funny.
Jeff Ferreira

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

jeff wrote:
i loved that ranch! shoot guns, fishing, log cabin, horse rides. good stuff. It was early 70s with mrs yarbourgh, mrs perrin, ms louanne, and mr. stivers. if you were bad in jack's class, you'd get an eraser thrown at you or get a session in the bathroom (tom fogg, j d rabie if you're out there). pretty funny.
I went to Stivers school in Hayward and Castro Valley. I also attended the camp evey summer for 2 or three weeks at a time. My twin brother Joe and I. The Stivers were friends with my parents. I remember I went on an errand with Mrs. Stivers once and she bought me an ice cream. Stands out when I think of great childhood memories. The son Jack had a temper. He hit my brother once and my dad threatened to kneecap him. He kept his hands off us after that. My brother moved in line was the offense lol.
laurence

Apo, AE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

was this the school that was in san leandro or san lorenzo in the 80's that had the whole side made of glass as the gym?
Carrie Mahmood

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2013

I taught a first grade class in the mornings in Castro Valley about 1991 and computer classes for all the grades (huge black floppies for them) in the afternoon.

I am trying to find someone to verify this as I am returning the teaching profession now that my kids are long grown.(They went to school there at the same time, Tariq in pre-school, Isha in kindergarten and Nasr in third).

So if you remember me (only in a good way, I hope. I never smacked any knuckles with rulers.) please contact me. I live in Modesto, CA and am listed in the phonebook.

Thanks,

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

San Ramon News Video

•••
•••

San Ramon Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

San Ramon People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••