Judge overturns California's ban on s...

Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

There are 201851 comments on the www.cnn.com story from Aug 4, 2010, titled Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage. In it, www.cnn.com reports that:

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.cnn.com.

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#160673 Sep 24, 2012
TucksunJack wrote:
<quoted text>
A writer today sugested tat newspapers and other media start publishing offensive Mohammed cartoons everyday. His point is that after awhile these nuts will tire of protesting and being violent, and cartoons of Mohammed will then cease to be offensive.
Sigh, I wished I could draw...
SpongeBob

Staten Island, NY

#160674 Sep 24, 2012
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>
etc..etc...
I have an idea: why Doesn't Obama release his college records? What is he hiding?
From Fact Check
Claims #1, 2 and 4, college records. Obama’s college records are not “sealed” by a court order, as this graphic would have you believe.

It would be illegal under federal law (the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974) for Occidental, Columbia or Harvard Law School to give any former student’s records to reporters or members of the public without that person’s specific, written permission.

Obama hasn’t released them, but neither have other presidential candidates released their college records.

George W. Bush’s grades at Yale eventually became public, but only because somebody leaked them to the New Yorker magazine. Bush himself refused to release them, according to a 1999 profile in the Washington Post.

So...It appears that the school records have only been demanded of the "black guy"

#160675 Sep 24, 2012
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Mohammad is a false prophet and a pedophile who designed a fake god, Allah so he could justify robbery, murder and rape.
Others can believe the claim that Islam is a peaceful, tolerant religion. I prefer to believe my eyes.
Just like Christianity, in other words...

(Well, okay. To be fair, Jesus NEVER intended his words to be taken as justification for blasphemy against the God of the Bible and the abomination of pretending that he [Jesus] was a god. All that was made up YEARS after Jesus was dead and unable to defend his words.)

#160676 Sep 24, 2012
Shock wave wrote:
I will continue to ask the question I have asked since Republicans took over Congress in July of 2011 under the premise that they would create jobs and restore the economy.
Where are the jobs?
The Repubs have created LOTS of jobs. They have all been in China, or India, but there have been lots of new jobs created...
Frank Rizzo

Alhambra, CA

#160677 Sep 24, 2012
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a bit behind is reading all of these posts, so this may have already been said, but you just proved Rose's point...
"those children naturally follow the condition of their fathers, and succeed to all their rights."
Of course, the correct language now would be "...condition of their parents...", since mothers have the same rights as the fathers.
AK has a tendency to leave things out....He also has a problem bringing things into the 20th c.

Okay:

1. The preceeding sentences to his quote from Venus are:

"The citizens are the members of the civil society; bound to this society by certain duties, and subject to its authority, they equally participate in its advantages. The natives or indigenes are those born in the country of parents who are citizens. Society not being able to subsist and to perpetuate itself but by the children of the citizens, those children naturally follow the condition of their fathers, and succeed to all their rights."

Note the "parents" in the second sentence. And, of course, in the 19th c., woman had minimal legal rights, so the for the courts to mention "father" may have no meaning other than they weren't used to phrases such as " father and/or mother".

2. However,(and I'm sure he'll dismiss the following, but):

When it came to the citizenship of children, when a child was born from the union of a slave and freeperson (that is "mixed-citizenship") , the law of "partus sequitur ventrem" was the law of the land. Meaning, the legal status of the child was confered on it by the legal status of the mother, not the father.
Less W M Romney

Monrovia, CA

#160678 Sep 24, 2012
My My it's such a great day with out Willard Mitt Romney.

motherjones.com

#160679 Sep 24, 2012
Randy from Wooster wrote:
But the f*gs seek to have their agenda forced upon our children, who are too young to be made aware of sexual issues, and to be taught at an age that the parents may think to be inappropriate. It is obscene, but the f*gs want first crack at our kids, forcing us normal people to make our children aware of sexual issues that we would not raise at such a stage in their little lives, thus robbing them of their innocence. How can they keep stating that this is right ? They are forcing their way into our homes and schools with this issue. In my opinion, they are molesting our children and should be stopped at all costs. Stay in the closet, cake boy......
You have no idea what a joke "too young" is. Children in preschool see and understand that families are different. Age appropriate education is necessary to teach the kids that families are made up of MANY differing configurations of parents, step parents, grandparents, etc, etc, etc.

No one is teaching sexual techniques to kindergartners.
SpongeBob

Staten Island, NY

#160680 Sep 24, 2012
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
The Repubs have created LOTS of jobs. They have all been in China, or India, but there have been lots of new jobs created...
Hey Man, I enjoy your posts...And it sounds like you don't have to work to hard coming up with those smart replies!
SpongeBob

Staten Island, NY

#160681 Sep 24, 2012
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Let's hang him for earning money, how dare a politician be rich!
No, Romney was never in danger of being hanged...

On the September 22, 2008 broadcast of his syndicated radio show, Rush Limbaugh baselessly claimed that Sen. Barack Obama is "not black," and went on to ask: "Do you know he has not one shred of African-American blood?" Limbaugh continued: "He's Arab. You know, he's from Africa. He's from Arab parts of Africa....[H]e's not African-American. The last thing that he is is African-American."

#160682 Sep 24, 2012
R Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
A religious ceremony is exactly what marriage is. FACT. It was created to join a man and a woman in the eyes of God. Fact. Science shows that a single gender relationship is doomed to sterility and extinction. Fact. Bupkes ? Is that a technical term ?
Pshaw. You are trying to sound like an authority, but you are failing miserably. You certainly are steeped in misinformation, sister. Try to read about fertility and nature, and then try to dispute with me about normality. Is it normal for didldoes to be a part of public parades ? is this the height of "gay expression" ? Perhaps you can explain it to a 5 year old, but to anyone with a 6th grade education, your argument falls apart faster than a sugar cube in water.....
Science also show us that in EVERY species of mammal and in many species of birds as well, there are same sex relationships, INCLUDING life long pair bonding in those species that do that.

Furthermore, your belief that there is a religious meaning to marriage is nothing more than that: YOUR belief. the simple fact is that in this country, a marriage ONLY exists if there is a legal filing with the government. No religious ceremony is required. The opposite is NOT true, however. Having a religious ceremony without the legal paperwork is nothing more than theater. It is NOT a marriage.

#160683 Sep 24, 2012
SpongeBob wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Man, I enjoy your posts...And it sounds like you don't have to work to hard coming up with those smart replies!
It is rare that I need to spend any more time than the time required to type in my response. On the other hand, I have been gathering facts for quite some time now...
Frank Rizzo

Alhambra, CA

#160684 Sep 24, 2012
Here's an interesting read on citizenship as it relates to persons with "duel citizenship".

What makes it interesting is the many ways the courts have determined who is a citizen and who is not, and it sure looks like they've determined that native-born citizens, regardless to the status of their parents, are citizens.

A really interesting point is brought up in the discussion of "Miller v. Albright". Not so much the specifics of that case, but in the fact that had the child (a bastard) been born of an American mother and a foreign father (as opposed to the other way around), she would have been deemed a native-born citizen.

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/cases.html#Mille...

Since: Aug 12

Dickson, TN

#160685 Sep 24, 2012
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>Pangaea broke up LONG before humans evolved...
no in a christan view since the world would be 6000 yrs old

Since: Aug 12

Dickson, TN

#160686 Sep 24, 2012
The bible supports Pangea an humans at the same time
Frank Rizzo

Alhambra, CA

#160687 Sep 24, 2012
Rittardo,

Please read the seventh paragraph in the following article and assure me your candidate couldn't possible be that stupid....

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-ro...

Who vetted this idiot!?

#160688 Sep 24, 2012
R Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think it is funny at all. I think it is obscene to explain the mechanics of a gay relationship to a 6 year old. If you check, you might find that marriage existed before the creation of any states or the federal government. It is exactly about the money and privileges granted. Tolerance is not a taught concept, it is a matter of acceptance, and we normal people refuse to take gays seriously, as the whole image of gays is instinctively frowned upon. Leave our kids alone and they will single out f*gs for denial and contempt all on their own, without any hesitation. I am surprised that you are married to a woman and defending the f*gs, unless you are also a woman.
It is truly sad to see such ignorance posted as though it had any bearing on reality.

NO ONE is teaching 6 year olds the "mechanics" of gay relationships. The only folks who have EVER brought up such notions are the bigots opposed to allowing gays their EQUAL rights.

It is utterly ridiculous to claim that tolerance is not taught - that is the ONLY way that people learn to be tolerant. Kids will pick on ANYONE they perceive as "different" in any way, until they learn that it is never okay to act that way. Leave the kids alone, and you end up with "Lord of the Flies".

Also, without a government, there is no marriage, for there is no law...

#160689 Sep 24, 2012
Gods shoeshine wrote:
<quoted text>
no in a christan view since the world would be 6000 yrs old
No, that is not a "Christian" view, that is a Bronze Age mythological view. There are many Christians that understand that some parts of the Bible are not literal, but figurative.

#160690 Sep 24, 2012
Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
Mona Lott.
Yes. The difference is great. Whereas the Christian recognizes himself to be a fallen creature, he aspires to the higher. The Godless "Liberal", on the other hand, is perfectly content to wallow in the mud of ignorance and shame. As the Bible puts it:
"The vile person shall be no more called liberal, nor the churl said to be bountiful." (Isaiah 32:5)
"For the vile person will speak villany, and his heart will work iniquity, to practise hypocrisy, and to utter error against the LORD, to make empty the soul of the hungry, and he will cause the drink of the thirsty to fail." (Isaiah 32:6)
"The instruments also of the churl are evil: he deviseth wicked devices to destroy the poor with lying words, even when the needy speaketh right." (Isaiah 32:7)
"But the liberal deviseth liberal things; and by liberal things shall he stand." (Isaiah 32:8)
"Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away." (2 Timothy 3:5)
Ronald
So, are you ready to fast all day on Wednesday? It is Yom Kippur, one of the holy days that is MANDATED by the Bible, along with Rosh Hashanah and Passover. And remember that wearing cloth of mixed wool and linen is a sin!
Aldous Huxley

Beacon, NY

#160691 Sep 24, 2012
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that is not a "Christian" view, that is a Bronze Age mythological view. There are many Christians that understand that some parts of the Bible are not literal, but figurative.
Well Jesus H. Titty F-ing Christ! LOL,Does this mean that my great,great,great,great,great, great,great,great Grandfather didn't actually walk with the Dinosaurs? Geez,well who knew? Wink,wink,wink! ;)

#160692 Sep 24, 2012
Sigh. Well, I managed to catch up to page 7104, anyway. That's what I get for not looking in here over the week end.

TTFN

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Pedro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Latinos Running Blacks Straight Outta Compton (Jan '13) 23 hr Horace 125
Loud Jet Noise In Redondo Beach at night.. (Aug '09) Mon Mister Spaceman 33
people in military bases in France in the sixties (Mar '07) Mon Janine Montgomery 3,310
News Harbor-UCLA Medical Center cited for safety vio... (Oct '11) Sun Raj 4
Armpit Sun Horace 2
Watts Charter school teacher honored by White H... Sat Ronald 2
woman for text fun !!! any up?? Jul 25 Chuck 7
More from around the web

Personal Finance

San Pedro Mortgages