Longshoreman arrested in fatal port DUI accident

Pablo Antonio Garcia, killed in January at Pier A90 in the Port of Long Beach. A 47-year-old longshoreman has been arrested on felony manslaughter charges in connection with a January drunk-driving accident in the port that killed a popular local truck driver. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Hmmmm

Bellflower, CA

#1 Oct 14, 2009
Wow, I just don't understand how people feel they need to drink. Especially when you work at the pier? C'mon now guys this is pure stupidity that permanently scars families. He was a father of 3 children and married. Think about that next time you guys want to endanger others.
Daily Breeze Sux

San Dimas, CA

#2 Oct 14, 2009
Why isn't this story in the Daily Breeze, which covers San Pedro? We always get longshore news shoved down our throats....except when it paints a bad light on these guys.
its me

Monterey Park, CA

#4 Oct 15, 2009
thats allright the loser will have his job when he gets out of prison
iseeitallthetime

United States

#6 Oct 15, 2009
Anybody can go to the green onion in san pedro and see the longies getting drunk at lunch. Heck the bosses are at the bar with them!
25or6to4

Long Beach, CA

#7 Oct 15, 2009
A drunk Longshoreman? The heck, you say!
brian

Bakersfield, CA

#8 Oct 15, 2009
you know what they do to longshoreman in prison don't ya
Something to think about

Paramount, CA

#10 Oct 15, 2009
its me wrote:
thats allright the loser will have his job when he gets out of prison
It's the occupation in which you can go to prison, comeback in 5 years, and accumulate 5 years worth of work credit. He might even be elevated to a boss during his time away. Nice.
Robert J G Jackson Sr

Long Beach, CA

#11 Oct 15, 2009
So Marquez is apparently part of the vaunted "quality" union workforce as a member of the Teamsters. Apparently none of the people he was working with noticed that he was over double the legal limit for drinking that day? Amazing.
bjh

Alton, IL

#12 Oct 15, 2009
My nephew worked as a welder on commercial construction in LA. It was not uncommon at all to see forklift drivers passing packets of drugs from one lift to another on the job. One large lift struck a support which came down and two cousins who were part of a family that lived on our street were killed. Did not stop the practice.
Let the truth be told

United States

#14 Oct 15, 2009
Tick Tock. Tick Tock. The bell has rung on the old practices. ILWU, we will not put up with your antics anymore. Evergreen fatality, the UTR that ran over JR Kiser bails on the Arbitrator ruled piss test. Fatality at Yang Ming, boss that supervised the deceased longshoremen that collapsed was found under the influence. Left and Right lately, many are being fired for being under the influence in the workplace. ILWU Clean up your act. Work is work. Do it with sobriety and professionalism before you find the national guard locking the gates and you have to find a job in the "real world" that is commesurate with your skills and education.
bjh

Alton, IL

#15 Oct 15, 2009
Dont the Longshoremen have random drug testing?
The company I work for does because the plant employees work with machinery. Dangerous machinery if you arent sober.
Tired off laZy asses

Buena Park, CA

#16 Oct 15, 2009
Longshoremen have lost there professionalism over the years all you have is people that don't know what there doing there i go to the port's and it's like everytime you want to talk to someone there pissed off have attitude, I don't get it the greatest job to have and all they hire is a bunch of idiots what happen to all the good old timers who took there job and knew what they were doing.And as far as drinking there has always been drunk asses drug users not everyone but alo of them to be honest half of them. But like one other person said he will go to jail get out and have his job back in a heartbeat he just needs counciling POOR him!!!! MYASSS if it was a regular job he would be out of there.
LBJJ

Bremerton, WA

#17 Oct 15, 2009
One can make a good living recycing all the piles of booze bottles and beer cans strewn in the longies' parking lots...
Tired off laZy asses

Buena Park, CA

#18 Oct 15, 2009
LBJJ wrote:
One can make a good living recycing all the piles of booze bottles and beer cans strewn in the longies' parking lots...
Yes we can
Chris

Costa Mesa, CA

#19 Oct 15, 2009
Not knowing all the details about this tragedy, one can only say, there is a serious need for the ILWU "brotherhood" to learn respect for the lives of others, not just bitch about their next bargaining contract.
These "accidents" are exactly why my "Old Timers" longshoremen elders made sure I never ended-up working down there.
Sick of it

Bartlesville, OK

#20 Oct 15, 2009
Everyday these guys are getting drunk during their lunch break go anywhere in san pedro or wilmington during lunch you'll see them all than they go back to work. Nice work enviroment. I'd fire the dock boss for letteing this idiot drive. But no he'll probably get promoted to supervisor. ILWU is a joke over paid workers & a bunch of winers. Get a real job in the real world see how long their lazy asses last.Spoiled to long, Time for ILWU to step up to the plate. Mandate random drug test,car inspections for drugs on port property. Clean this place up.
Tired off laZy asses

Buena Park, CA

#21 Oct 15, 2009
Something to think about wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the occupation in which you can go to prison, comeback in 5 years, and accumulate 5 years worth of work credit. He might even be elevated to a boss during his time away. Nice.
Yes it's the greatest occupation and they all take it for granted. And one more thing they are going to want to renew there contract and they want more money to drink.
CHS

Long Beach, CA

#22 Oct 15, 2009
You're going to miss out on good job applicants when the primary job qualification is "my cousin is in the union."
crazy world

Santa Barbara, CA

#23 Oct 15, 2009
i think the longshoremen is due for another strike to increase their pay, benefits, holiday vacations, and pensions. how can anyone survive on 120,000.00 a year?
zzzzzzzzz

Yorba Linda, CA

#24 Oct 15, 2009
whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? not all longshoreman r drunks and drug addicts. people drink and do drugs in all professions. Like none of u have never driven drunk? come on now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Pedro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lawyer accused of ethics breach (Mar '08) 12 hr SCmm 56
people in military bases in France in the sixties (Mar '07) 15 hr Steve 3,178
US Post Office: Bixby Station will close 2-17-15 15 hr Larry 1
A girl waves a Mexican flag during rallies in L... (Mar '06) 19 hr ska kitten 4,503
Longshoreman Protest on Thursday Fri MegansLaw 3
UK: Panicked teen hanged himself after receivi... Fri Jane 1
Who do you support for Governor in California i... (Oct '10) Thu Elisha Birk 3,766

Beach Hazards Statement for Los Angeles County was issued at January 24 at 9:48PM PST

San Pedro News Video

San Pedro Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

San Pedro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:31 am PST