San Manuel mine to officially close w...

San Manuel mine to officially close with a bang

There are 25 comments on the KNXV story from Jan 17, 2007, titled San Manuel mine to officially close with a bang. In it, KNXV reports that:

One of the largest underground copper mines in the world is expected to officially close Wednesday as demolition crews blast its twin smelter stacks.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KNXV.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
LYDIA HUNTER

Gardena, CA

#1 Jan 17, 2007
WOW
I HAVE VISITED SAN MANUEL THROUGH ALL MY CHILDHOOD SUMMER VACAIONS. THOSE SMOKE STACKS MEANT THAT WE WERE CLOSER TO SEEING MY BROTHER,AUNTS,UNCLES AND COUSINS.
NOW WE STILL ENJOY GOING EVERY NOV. FOR THANKSGIVING AND MY KIDS HAVE HAD THAT SAME OPPORTUNITY TO SEE SUCH A LANDMARK..
SHOULD OF TRIED TO PRESERVE THEM SOMEWAY.
GOOD BYE SMOKE STACKS, YOUR MEMORY WILL ALWAYS BE IN MY (OUR ) HEARTS.
rudy acedo iii

Bensalem, PA

#2 Jan 17, 2007
i remember every year looking for the star they put on the smoke stacks around chrismas time. my father who worked at the mine said," it was his closer"
Kaye Hulsey

Oklahoma City, OK

#3 Jan 18, 2007
When I woke up this morning, I turned the news on and was shocked as our local station showed the smoke stacks coming down.
I worked for Magma from 1975 - 1970. I began my career as a female electrician there and have lots of memories. Because of the opportunities that Magma gave me, I eventually ended up being a female Maitenance Superintendant in Oklahoma.
I still have relatives living in San Manuel, but it will be so different because we always looked for the smokestacks to know we were close.
Melvin Whitten

Portland, OR

#4 Jan 18, 2007
I started working there in 1970 as a laborer, went into pipeshop as a pipefitter helper. Was a pipefitter until I took early retirement when they were going to shut down. I still go back to that area once a year. Hate to see them go down.
Melvin Whitten

Portland, OR

#5 Jan 18, 2007
I noticed it has me in Ontario, OR on last post. I live in Crockett, TX which is in east Texas. I worked there for 29 years.
Maria

Grand Forks, ND

#6 Jan 18, 2007
i hurts to see the smoke stacks go down, or should i say seen them go down. every time i was coming home from tucson it took a long while to get home but, when i seen the smoke stacks i new that we were so close to home. they will always be in my
heart.
Brina Gonzalez

Grand Forks, ND

#7 Jan 18, 2007
There was a lot that was told about the smoke stacks. A lot of families worked here in san manuel and when it shut down most people moved away. Now they took the only thing that made san manuel what it is. Growing up they used to be there with the star at christmas time and on ur way home you know your almost home. Now their gone, they took a little something of everyone when they fell but they will always be remembered. Its just too bad there wasnt a way to save them.
monty hannaford

Ardmore, OK

#8 Jan 18, 2007
I'm sorry to see San Manuel finally close. Working as a industrial supplier for many years, I had the opportunity to meet many quality, people related to mining in San Manuel and all of Southern Arizona. So long to many good friends too. "If it can't be grown, It must be mined"
Monty Oklahoma
TAV

AOL

#9 Jan 20, 2007
I moved to San Manuel the 18th of Dec, 1955. My 15 minutes of fame, I lit the first burner in the reverberatory furnace in the new smelter. I lived in San Manuel for 17 years. I was surprised when I saw the stacks come down on TV. There was almost no information. Tom
Lorna Whitmer Dent

Chandler, AZ

#10 Jan 20, 2007
I lived in San Manuel for 13 years, my dad worked in the mine all those years, it was so sad to hear the stacks were down. Like others I always remember coming home from tucson or somewhere and we always knew we were close when we saw the stacks. Wonder what will happen to the town now
Leslie Nelson

AOL

#11 Jan 22, 2007
I lived in San Manuel and went to school from the 6th grade until graduation. I will always remember the smoke stacks...another landmark is gone. Very sad.
Taz

Tucson, AZ

#12 Jan 26, 2007
THOSE ASSHOLES SHOULD HAVE NEVER TORN DOWN THOSE STACKS!! They meant a lot to me and my entire family! My grandfather (rest his soul) andmy uncle worked in those mines. Me and some friends used those smoke stacks to find our way home when we got lost in the desert. As far as I'm concerned it is no longer my home town San MAnuel. Now it really is "a piece of shit town."
Bruns

Tucson, AZ

#13 Jan 30, 2007
I worked at Magma Copper from 1976 to 1989.
Underground...started on crew 4 as a chute-tapper..ending up on the haulage level 2675 doing everything from carloading, to clean-up crew and mucker operator to operating a 20 ton train.
I resigned and returned to college to obtain a higher education. Smart move! A handful of years passed and they had closed the mine and layed off all underground laborers.
The thing I remember about the smoke-stacks was the orange pollution that (on certain days) slowly hung over the valley all the way to Tucson.
30 years later...I still havce nightmares about working underground. Working there was an experience as well as a LIVING HELL!
Bruns

Tucson, AZ

#14 Jan 30, 2007
Hey Ruuuuuuudy!
It's Bruns! lol
Magma copper..arizona's worst!
Bruns

Tucson, AZ

#15 Jan 30, 2007
Hey
If any of you ex-Magma copper people remember me, write me at [email protected]
I am a business owner in Tucson now, making a great living doing what I always dreamed of ......Designing Homes and COMPUTER AIDED DESIGN AND DRAFTING.

Again.....IT'S BRUNS! YOU REMEMBER ME DON'T YOU? BRUNS? LOL
Lori

Tucson, AZ

#16 Jan 31, 2007
I lived in San Manuel for most of my life. I went to First Avenue and Avenue B. I graduated from the 8th grade at Gardner Middle School and attended high school there until I transfered to CDO. Those Smoke Stacks really meant a lot to me. I remember when the mines closed down my grandfather was very upset. He cried because he loved his job. Hey TAZ, my family worked there as well, and my grandfather is also dead now. I agree with you. They should have never tore them down. Does anybody else agree??
Sandy

Orlando, FL

#17 Feb 11, 2007
I went to San Manuel HS and was glad when I
moved from the town. Seeing the smelter come down
reminded me that time moves on and another
era passes. I hope that the town of San Manuel
can move on and survive. The copper industry
has always been in flux and Magma Copper sucked
the life out of their employees. They had a captive work force and educated the upcoming generation just enough so they could have an
unending supply of miners. The town and the
people deserve better. Maybe removing landmarks
like the smelter will allow the town to rise from
the ashes and become something great.
Nancy

United States

#18 Feb 13, 2007
I hated to see the stacks go. An end of an era for another mining town. I was shocked to see the replies of those that seemed to hate the town and/or the stacks. My uncle helped to open up the operation in 1953, and helped my dad get on. Dad started working there in 1956, after being a laborer on the SP Railroad. That mine fed us, clothed us, and helped us build two homes, and gave us a better way of life, as well as the much needed health insurance and good opportunity for education. It was at the very least a living wage for more than one generation. I for one am grateful for the good life that it gave my family. Good life and good memories. True - all of the dust and dirt, and shift work ruined my dad's health, but he used to say that regardless of that......he had to do what was best for his family. We moved from town to town to town before he got on at the smelter...it wasn't the best life for a family, moving around like that, and the mine gave us the stability and seurity that he wanted for us. They can take the stacks down, but they can't take our wonderful and yes, some bad - memories away!
jonathan ostrander

Grand Forks, ND

#19 Feb 16, 2007
i have lived here for my how life but i am only 13 yers old thay should have staid! and not tore them down that is what i think!
mike b

Phoenix, AZ

#20 Feb 20, 2007
Bruns wrote:
I worked at Magma Copper from 1976 to 1989.
Underground...started on crew 4 as a chute-tapper..ending up on the haulage level 2675 doing everything from carloading, to clean-up crew and mucker operator to operating a 20 ton train.
I resigned and returned to college to obtain a higher education. Smart move! A handful of years passed and they had closed the mine and layed off all underground laborers.
The thing I remember about the smoke-stacks was the orange pollution that (on certain days) slowly hung over the valley all the way to Tucson.
30 years later...I still havce nightmares about working underground. Working there was an experience as well as a LIVING HELL!
Hey fella, wasn't that bad, you got paid decent, and you know it sure is amazing how long you lasted,
Shouldn't of quit within a week if it was so bad!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Manuel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rh Negative is a very Holy Bloodline (Sep '11) Thu Ngozila1 32
ANR ABF Adult Nursing Relationship (Nov '13) Wed bbunique 12
Do you feel safer since Jeff Flake has been a s... Oct 16 Mitch 1
News Police: Tucson man arrested after shoving fligh... Oct 10 Society 3
News AZ Immigrant Advocate Elias Bermudez Charged Wi... Oct 7 Solarman 2
post feature points referral codes here (May '15) Aug '17 Yuca_24 27
Earn gift cards quick and easy! (Jul '16) Jul '16 Nielsen3133 1

San Manuel Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance