Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
167,141 - 167,160 of 200,343 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you are showing you are an idiot who doesn't understand logic.
Don't try to use the logic, it's too complicated for you. Leave it there, for the grown-ups who DON'T get all strung out, then post, as you do...
Stewups

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

However, the Aryan Brotherhood is considered “blood in, blood out” prison gang, whose principal trade is methamphetamine.

He said that means in order to join, members are often required to hurt or kill someone at the command of a group leader.

Reminds me of the Glendora, California city council method of operation.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Logic? You mean like this?
Rose_NoHo wrote: "If one could doesn't spawn humanity will die out?"
What a dope.
Yes! Gibberish is the logical result of getting all strung out, and then attempting to post clearly, and with lucidity. That's logical.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>++
Science can find no valid reason for religious beliefs, religion is a defect in the human culture across human history
Homosexuality however is a natural occurrence in many mammals, science has proved that
So, you DO believe that 90% of us are operating under a mass delusion? Well, since 90% of us have a belief in religion of one sort or another, that particular belief serves the community at large. Unlike SSM, which caters to a small percentage. Thus making religion more valid than your cult.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Bingo
They are frightened, unsure of their own sexuality they are afraid you will “convert” them.
It is their believe that homosexuality is a choice you make that drives this.
I have always been supportive of people that happen to be homosexual, I was around people when I was younger ( like high scho0l ) who were openly homosexual. I happen to be heterosexual and comfortable and sure of my sexuality.
I was approached, I just smiled and told them I was straight but thank you for the complement and they thanked me for saying it that way.
But the people you are talking to here, I don’t think are that comfortable with their own sexuality
No, D, it's you that is frightened. We are all sure of our sexuality. Don't presume to know about us.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text> Well that would make it NATURAL, now wouldn't it?
Errr.....No, it wouldn't. It would make it aberrational. Innate and normal are not the same thing.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm.... While we're at it.....
>Looks at title of forum<
.....Umm..... Ah, never mind, it doesn't matter anyway, you haven't come in here to discuss Prop 8, any more than any of the rest of us...
Great post.
Magestic

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

But Chinese petitioners to the White House are likely to find that appeals to Obama are even less effective than appeals to their own leaders in Beijing.

There is an old, oft-cited Chinese saying that describes the remoteness of the country’s leaders:“The mountains are high and the emperor is far away”.

An updated version may be in order:“The ocean is vast and the emperor is even farther”.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
How many are "nearly"?
<quoted text>
So u won't be taking Christmas as a day off from work?
<quoted text>
"Thousands"? Really? So who is stopping them from performing a religious wedding ceremony?
D spends a lot of time lying. I prove this to myself every day. He will claim that almost the entire nation supports his cult, but it is a lie. He will claim all kinds of numbers that do not have any basis in reality. He is a propagandist.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Orrrrrrrrrrr....no dissension is allowed? All must toe the party line, comrade? If one of your children offered a dissenting opinion, would s/he be "reeducated"?
I'll bet that's true.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
You are free to decent all you want, there are a lot of people living in this country that do not agree with our nations values.
I am not the one that used that word
What I object to is your desire to remove freedom and justice from others. We have 2 classes of homosexual people now, those that are legally married, and those that wish to be legally married and cannot.
That wrong is about to be resolved.
Oh? Are they about to nullify the first batch?
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
You guys always want to base this issue on history.
Here's the thing... We participate in many social activities and have created new social institutions that do not have a firm basis in history.
Most modern, First World societies on the planet have some kind of compulsory education program for kids and teens. Though, looking back you'll find only scattered instances of compulsory education throughout the history of mankind. And the vast majority of those examples were closely tied to religion--not the sciences, math, language, etc.
Look at how women are treated in today's First World nations. Equality of the sexes has never been more pervasive than it is today.
Human rights and equality are also fairly modern concepts. Our current societies don't keep slaves. We strive to treat one another humanely. Folks are encouraged to explore new ideas. Freedom of speech, the freedom to travel, the freedom to own property, the freedom to worship (or not worship), the freedom from unjust laws and treatments are just a few of the widespread values that most modern day, Western cultures embrace.
Our economy is new. Cultures in the past relied heavily on agriculture and trade. Today, however, we buy and sell abstract ideas and technologies.
The bottom line is that our society today looks VERY different than societies of the past.
So why should we base the notion of marriage on the past? Why can't we embrace a new notion of marriage? It's not like marriage has remained static over the eons. There have been marriages between one man and one woman; one man and many women, arranged marriages, marriages based on love, marriages based on wealth. And has been pointed out numerous times, there have been same-sex marriage and various times in mankind's history.
Our ability to alter the current man-woman marriage arrangement SHOULD NOT be based on history.
History, in and of itself, SHOULD NOT define our current society, nor should it define our future society.
Fear of change is a bona-fide fear. But it does not mean that we should halt in our tracks. It does not mean that we should cling to the past.
If we allow the fear of change to overtake us, then our future is going to be pretty bleak.
Same-sex marriage will not impact anyone other than those same-sex couples who enter into marriage.
Stop being afraid of it.
Please, define the word "fear" as you misuse it, in here? Because, I'm beginning to suspect that we're not speaking the same language. I'm using English, and I wish to understand your language, as well.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh Madone! They voted on a definition of marriage as a union of one MAN AND one WOMAN. That's it. Where is your patriotism on that? So the voters of California who voted TWICE to define marriage as it was understood in the state, and you argue "we are not an Athenian style democracy"? Patriotic Americans went to the polls and declared legal marriage to be a....... are you ready for this radical idea? A union of husband and wife! Where the heck did they get such a crazy idea. Before ya know it some tofu eating tree hugger will claim sex between men and women makes babies.
Well, as a witch, I'd like to state, for the record, that I am a steak man, myself. "Moo".
:-D
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Dusty Mangina wrote:
<quoted text>
What's radical is the belief that the majority thinks it gets to deny rights to the minority.
Juxtaposition! We're not denying any rights to any Americans. We're just not granting anything new, for sexually aberrant couples.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
I was a typo, "If one couple doesn't spawn, humanity will die out?"
Yer whole life is a typo.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Life site news!?
LOL.
Chimerism is a recognized defect, right?
:)
"Opps". You are a recognized defect.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a Virgo trait. I'm ruled by my planets.
And, as a Libra, I am better qualified to judge this whole issue.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes they are, they are legal marriages as legal as anyone else’s
Your opinion of their marriage is no more important than my low opinion of your marriage, the only opinion that has any weight, any weight at all, is the legal opinion, and they ARE married.... period
And, of course, you base your "low opinion" of his marriage on his position. As a true American would do. "You only matter if you believe what I believe", right? And, "Anyone who disagrees with The Big D can go to hell", right?

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Shorter paragraphs, double spacing between them, I like that but words! Too many words! Pretend they cost $10 each and say the same thing.
Sorry. Can't help it.
I'll tell you what... When you pay me to write (or not write) whatever is on my mind, I'll consider your criticism.

Until then, I'll say what I want in a manner that pleases me.

If you don't want to take the time to read what I've got to say, then by all means, move on.

Last time I looked, I pay my own Comcast bill each month. I paid for this computer that I'm using. And I certainly pay for the electricity to run my little operation.

So for now, I'll type whatever I please.

You feel free to do the same.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you DO believe that 90% of us are operating under a mass delusion? Well, since 90% of us have a belief in religion of one sort or another, that particular belief serves the community at large. Unlike SSM, which caters to a small percentage. Thus making religion more valid than your cult.
90%

Welcome to the 21st century

It has not been 90% for a long long time

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent San Lorenzo Discussions

Search the San Lorenzo Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 36 min Fitus T Bluster 18,579
Doctor heads to court after online sex sting (Nov '06) 2 hr Carnac The Magnificent 16,857
Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) 4 hr snodder 2,252
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 23 hr Twilight sun 7,848
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 23 hr Facts facts 15,927
What are the names of the different gangs in Ha... (Jun '10) Sat Family Guy Say No 189
Man shot by deputy during brutal San Leandro be... Jul 24 Krystal 4
•••
•••

San Lorenzo News Video

•••
•••

San Lorenzo Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

San Lorenzo People Search