Shelter manager fails test

Shelter manager fails test

There are 11 comments on the The Reporter story from May 22, 2008, titled Shelter manager fails test. In it, The Reporter reports that:

News from Texas reflects the frightening reality of what can happen at an animal shelter.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Reporter.

San Leon Animal Lover

AOL

#1 May 28, 2008
You write in the last sentence.... Jennifer Rowan should be immediately removed from her position. AMEN to that! This place is misleading, if you type in Bay Area SPCA on google search, they come up a "NO KILL SHELTER" over and over again! They take peoples "intake fees" of $75.00, then murder helpless animals! She needs to be removed from any kind of animal shelter, she is HEARTLESS & CRUEL!!
Someone needs to speak for these poor babies that cannot speak for themselves! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!1
BacliffBea

League City, TX

#2 May 31, 2008
Who are you? How many volunteer hours do you have there? How many cages have you cleaned, how many animals have you feed, how many animals have you walked and played with, how many donations have you given to help this shelter continue? How many animals have you fostered to help with the appalling overcrowded conditions of every shelter in the area? How much kitten/ puppy/ cat/ dog food have you brought in as a donation? What were you doing when Jennifer Rowan was evacuating animals in a 50 year old DC3, out of a ravaged New Orleans after Katrina? Did you rush over to New Orleans to feed and nurse those animals along with her? Did you help load that plane? Did you fly through the night calming those babies fears? Heartless and cruel? I think not. Just Who Are You?
Albert J Reine

AOL

#3 May 31, 2008
It's to bad Katy from Texas has not been educated on your work; Report the Truth, You shall know the truth, and it will set you free ! We pay and hire many directors or managers to be managers of shelters, but they have no experience, most of the jobs that have good paying money goes to a person who is a friend of the County,City or board of Supervisors in the local city or county, Solano county is not much better with their shelter, for over twenty years nothing get's done, it only get's worst !

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#4 May 31, 2008
BacliffBea - before you open your mouth, you should find out who you are critizing with your comments.

DO YOU KNOW MAITE? DO YOU KNOW WHAT SHE HAS DONE ON BEHALF OF ANIMALS?

Maite is an animal advocate and she will NOT toot her own horn to tell you what she HAS done.

I AM a foster volunteer (dogs) and I can tell you first hand that I have HAD dogs that would NOT have passed that assine test -dogs, who once they were safe, turned out to be highly adoptable. Thank God they didn't have to pass that assine test before they were let out to foster care - they'd be dead today.
BacliffBea

League City, TX

#5 May 31, 2008
Maite? Maite? From California? Ah, that Maite. From the article. I didn't say a thing about or to Maite, did I? But while we are on the subject, just why is this written by someone from California? This is Texas. What ax does Maite have to grind here?

I've seen them use that very test on Animal Planet several times--I think it was either in Chicago or New York (Animal Cops). I wouldn't wish to be in the room with any of the dogs that reacted badly.

How ignorant can someone be to think this is the only shelter that might use a temperment test to weed out potentially dangerous animals. This is used all over the country, in hundreds of shelters. Maite needs to look in her own backyard before attacking one in another state.

So lets see. Why don't you and Maite take all those animals that fail and put them in with your children or grandchildren. Why don't you open your home to vicious dogs and then let us know how that works for you. If you wish to take a chance that someone (perhaps a small child that wants a puppy) might be tragically hurt, then I'm sorry. This is the height of ignorance. Check"mate"

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#6 May 31, 2008
ANIMAL ABUSE IS ANIMAL ABUSE NO MATTER WHERE YOU LIVE - Just because we live in California - this means to you that we have no Right to speak out against abuse or an abusive system? How ignorant.

Let me explain Bea - when YOU begin a sentence with "who are you" in reference to the author of the article, and you continue to use the word "you" in each and every sentence, you ARE addressing the author.

Like I said, I HAVE fostered dogs who would have failed those assine tests and they HAVE BEEN PLACED WITH CHILDREN AND THEY HAVE BEEN WITH MY GRANDCHILDREN - If someone cannot determine the difference between a frightened dog and a vicious dog, they have no business in shelter care or rescue. Repeat, there IS a difference between a "frightened" dog and a "vicious" dog.
Peggy Perez Fairfield CA

United States

#7 Jun 1, 2008
This is the same thing that happen to 2 of my cats, one was scared of people because when he was a baby people would chase and harrass him, and the other one was my baby, he was not mean to people he was just his own person, and the Solano County Animal Shelter here in Fairfield Ca claimed that, because one of the testers could not hold him for more than 10 minutes he had to be put down, and the first one I mentioned she said she could not hold him at all, well you know she has the smell of dogs on her hands and cats just are scarred of dogs, but it broke my heart to have to have both my cats put to sleep, I raised those cats from the day they were born, because they were born in my apartment from the mother cat we had. I think these poor animals have to suffer because of this temperment test. But I still hear my cats meow even though they are gone to heaven. I will never get another cat as long as I live. The manager of the appartments where we use to live is the blame she made me get rid of them. I hope she gets hers. Maybe you ought to check out our facility too.
Peggy Perez Fairfield CA

United States

#8 Jun 1, 2008
Oh yeah I want to say something else on this subject, it is funny to me that people take their pets to the vet, and they don't get bit, so how is anyone going to say that these animals are vicious and needs to be put to sleep? It is cruelity to animals no matter how you look at it, and people should not be putting their hands in the mouth or the food dish of these animals. My son's birds bite him they are not being put to sleep and I had a hamster that bit me and brought the blood three times she was not put to sleep, so what's up with the cats/dogs. It is like a child being placed in foster care they are scarred to at first, they need to adjust to new environments. All the Animal Shelters in the United States need to be checked for this type of behavior.
mom

Vacaville, CA

#9 Jun 1, 2008
I dont know. Maybe if we just controlled the population of animals we would not need shelters. Maybe if we cared, sheltered, and loved them, they would not be feral and viscious. These poor animals are the innocent and have to pay the price of idiots who dump them in the country because they can not afford them and make money off them with fighting etc. The state needs to figure out something with controlling unwanted animals so these poor thing do not have to suffer, it is out of control.
Albert J Reine

AOL

#10 Jun 3, 2008
Why not have the Grand jury check it out ? I Hope That TEXAS is not so big that they think or beleive that TEXAS is with no problems ?? You should know that the system has many faults, IT can be TEXAS,CALIFORNIA, or any state and many states just do not care about the animals, This is good reporting, now TEXAS Please do not MESS WITH REAL NEWS, This is not YELLOW JOURALISMN; California has many problems also, infact Solano County and the City of Vacaville has a real problem, This REPORTER SAYS THE TRUTH, or do you want people to just not mess with TEXAS; THIS IS FOR THE ANIMALS not for TEXAS !
Cat

Springer, OK

#11 Jun 21, 2008
BacliffBea wrote:
I've seen them use that very test on Animal Planet several times--I think it was either in Chicago or New York (Animal Cops).
I guess if the people on Animal Planet jumped off a cliff, you would too.....?

2 words...so that you may educate yourself - Ceasar Milan.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Leon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joseph John Radler (Aug '14) 12 hr TruthBombs 64
Drowning Texas City Dike 30-40 years ago (Sep '15) 21 hr CalvinWright 2
What Former Restaurant Owner Bribed Law Enforce... 22 hr TexasCityRox 2
Signs of Sexual Abuse In Texas City Aug 19 PublishersDream 1
Fishy Adoption Aug 19 AdoptUrTruth 1
News Arkansas-side firefighters support Texas' campa... Aug 12 Captain of Industry 1
News Hit-And-Run driver injures 2 children, arrested (Jul '10) Aug 4 Kim 257

San Leon Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

San Leon Mortgages