Livermore Resident Helps Foil Suspect...

Livermore Resident Helps Foil Suspected Drug Deal

There are 52 comments on the Patch.com story from Aug 10, 2011, titled Livermore Resident Helps Foil Suspected Drug Deal. In it, Patch.com reports that:

A suspected drug deal was interrupted Wednesday after police received a tip from a resident, Livermore police officer Traci Rebiejo said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Patch.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Sep 11

Livermore CA

#41 Sep 18, 2011
Purple Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>
Props refer to giving someone a thumbs up. For those playing the Topix game, you need to get 5 a day for 50 points and give 3 for 5 points. The points refer to the other 300 points of the 355 you can earn. You get 100 for leaving 5 posts, and another 100 for "reading" 100 posts. If you spell the word Topix from letters you find in posts marked in the list with stars and by clicking on stars in those posts, you get 50. As for the other 50, that comes from "sharing" a post with the share link at the top, visiting the forum, and clicking on 5 of the 3 point items on the left of the forum page (news, real time news, crime, dating, real-estate, jobs, etc).
The idea of the Topix game is to get more people involved in Topix and reading. Topix makes their money from ads, so the more ads people see, the more money they get.
As for this story, I am glad a citizen was alert and contacted the police. However, there are more important things to call the cops about.
WAIT A MINUTE, I THOUGHT YOU HATED COPS, now you're all chilled out about someone actually calling them to report a drug deal? Make up your mind!

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

#42 Sep 18, 2011
rflem72 wrote:
<quoted text>WAIT A MINUTE, I THOUGHT YOU HATED COPS, now you're all chilled out about someone actually calling them to report a drug deal? Make up your mind!
My feelings in another thread are not relevant to the story here. My posts are always how I feel at the time.

You will never see anywhere that I hate cops in general, just the ones in several towns that I know of. There are some who are good and hard-working, but I know of plenty who give them a black eye.

Since: Mar 11

Livermore 94551

#43 Sep 18, 2011
Purple Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>My feelings in another thread are not relevant to the story here. My posts are always how I feel at the time.

You will never see anywhere that I hate cops in general, just the ones in several towns that I know of. There are some who are good and hard-working, but I know of plenty who give them a black eye.
I have to agree with you. For every two good cops there is a bad cop. Or maybe for every good cop there are two bad cops.

Plum, Purplonia

#44 Sep 18, 2011
Ssophiiee wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to agree with you. For every two good cops there is a bad cop. Or maybe for every good cop there are two bad cops.
The sad thing is that often, the best ones are the ones who often get KIA or severely injured and forced into early retirement. Like in the town to my north, a cop was killed the other year during a shootout. He had been with them for a long time and had received some awards. What happened was that a man thought he owned his ex-girlfriend and wanted a confrontation to force her to be back with him. So he went to her workplace with a gun and plenty of ammo. He demanded to see his former girlfriend and threatened to kill everyone in the restaurant if they didn't bring her out to him. Instead, she hid in the cooler, and he was outside firing off rounds. Then he got into a shootout with the cops, severely injuring two officers, one of which died a day or two later. At least the suspect died at the scene, and the woman no longer has to look over her shoulder. I am sure she will be forever indebted to the 2 officers who saved her life.

Another example of untimely death/disability for good officers happened in my original town. A lot of the officers were jerks, but there were not really any complaints about this officer. Well, he got a call about trouble in an apartment or something. While he is knocking on the door, he gets ambushed and shot right there. Apparently, the call was a setup, and a group of thugs were in the mood to kill an officer that night. It was all premeditated, just that they didn't know nor care what officers would respond. One of the suspects made the comment, "I'm going to pop some pigs tonight." Sounds like a threat and premeditation to me. I don't remember if he died or was paralyzed for life. Both outcomes are horrible.

Sometimes fate catches up with the bad ones. One was particularly nasty with me. A couple years later, I heard he had a heart attack at quite a young age and died.

Early heart attacks were common in my old town. I remember a high school student who was found dead at home. I don't think they determined the exact cause, though homicide could safely be ruled out. It was either natural, accidental, or suicide. The evidence could support all 3. He had a heart condition, was rather weak/clumsy, and was teased/bullied a lot. He was found with exercise equipment around his neck. So either he hung himself, he was doing more than he was capable of doing and fell and got hung, or he had a heart attack from the strain on an already weak heart and got hung during it or postmortem. Bullied victims sometimes work extra hard to conform to reduce bullying, and that sometimes works, but that could also increase the risk of accidents or aggravating preexisting conditions. Boys like that are often ashamed of being weak or unable to defend themselves, so they may try to do weight-lifting alone. So an unskilled weightlifter without a coach or spotter is more likely to hurt himself during exercise. There is also more risk in trying to do too much too fast when you are out of shape, since a person could have an undiagnosed and/or untreated condition.

Livermore 94551

#45 Sep 18, 2011
Purple Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>The sad thing is that often, the best ones are the ones who often get KIA or severely injured and forced into early retirement. Like in the town to my north, a cop was killed the other year during a shootout. He had been with them for a long time and had received some awards. What happened was that a man thought he owned his ex-girlfriend and wanted a confrontation to force her to be back with him. So he went to her workplace with a gun and plenty of ammo. He demanded to see his former girlfriend and threatened to kill everyone in the restaurant if they didn't bring her out to him. Instead, she hid in the cooler, and he was outside firing off rounds. Then he got into a shootout with the cops, severely injuring two officers, one of which died a day or two later. At least the suspect died at the scene, and the woman no longer has to look over her shoulder. I am sure she will be forever indebted to the 2 officers who saved her life.

Another example of untimely death/disability for good officers happened in my original town. A lot of the officers were jerks, but there were not really any complaints about this officer. Well, he got a call about trouble in an apartment or something. While he is knocking on the door, he gets ambushed and shot right there. Apparently, the call was a setup, and a group of thugs were in the mood to kill an officer that night. It was all premeditated, just that they didn't know nor care what officers would respond. One of the suspects made the comment, "I'm going to pop some pigs tonight." Sounds like a threat and premeditation to me. I don't remember if he died or was paralyzed for life. Both outcomes are horrible.

Sometimes fate catches up with the bad ones. One was particularly nasty with me. A couple years later, I heard he had a heart attack at quite a young age and died.

Early heart attacks were common in my old town. I remember a high school student who was found dead at home. I don't think they determined the exact cause, though homicide could safely be ruled out. It was either natural, accidental, or suicide. The evidence could support all 3. He had a heart condition, was rather weak/clumsy, and was teased/bullied a lot. He was found with exercise equipment around his neck. So either he hung himself, he was doing more than he was capable of doing and fell and got hung, or he had a heart attack from the strain on an already weak heart and got hung during it or postmortem. Bullied victims sometimes work extra hard to conform to reduce bullying, and that sometimes works, but that could also increase the risk of accidents or aggravating preexisting conditions. Boys like that are often ashamed of being weak or unable to defend themselves, so they may try to do weight-lifting alone. So an unskilled weightlifter without a coach or spotter is more likely to hurt himself during exercise. There is also more risk in trying to do too much too fast when you are out of shape, since a person could have an undiagnosed and/or untreated condition.
I don't understand the relevance of the last two paragraphs.

Plum, Purplonia

#46 Sep 18, 2011
Ssophiiee wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't understand the relevance of the last two paragraphs.
You mean you honestly don't know who the word "ones" refers to in the short paragraph when we've been discussing them for most of the thread?

"Sometimes fate catches up with the bad ones. One was particularly nasty with me. A couple years later, I heard he had a heart attack at quite a young age and died."

What "ones" is that paragraph about? Who are the ones I was discussing in the first two paragraphs? Who were the bad ones you mentioned and which my overall post is a reply to? I assume your your teachers taught you about how pronouns work. It was important to me not to name who the ones were there, and I won't mention who they are here. Repeating the subject noun of an entire theme is redundant and bad form. Remember with pronouns, that they nearly always refer to the last person or group mentioned. Since "ones" is plural, guess what group of people they are about? So why wouldn't I discuss the same group of people in paragraph #3 as I did the previous? If I discussed losing good ones in #2, then why wouldn't I mention bad ones in #3?

I see this problem a lot on Wikipedia too. Someone may write:

"Kate and Ashley are identical twins and American actresses. When they turned 21, they started a business together."

The some idiot editor tags "they" with a {who?} tag because they don't know who they refers to, even though most know the meaning carries over from the previous sentence.

So since the correct understanding of the word "ones" would show you that paragraph #3 is just as important and about the same thing.

So paragraph 4 is obviously a tangent off of 3. Nobody ever said it had to be relevant. I just like to share what I know, and I thought you would be proud of me, not, well, never mind. There are no rules on Topix saying you have to stay on topic or that you cannot change topics at the end of your post and share something of general human interest to lubricate social contact. If someone of the class of people most of the paragraph and thread is about dies at a young age (early to mid 20's) then there has to be a reason and there needs to be background and context. The death of the member of that group of people in paragraph 3 happened in a town where such deaths were common, and bullying is something that should be discussed everywhere as activism until it stops.

I will note one more thing. A common problem I see with some people is that they often have difficulty understanding the scope of labels and group names when people use them. Like if someone says, "I hate it when women..." then their use of women is obviously not referring to all women. But some idiot will jump in and say, "You know that not all women do that..." True, but nobody said they did. So it is not over-generalization, since the term women there would be used in a specific context. Most people would understand that, but some activists with chips on their shoulders would ignore the context and only look at the wording of one sentence by itself out of context. So when someone mentions cops doing this or that, rarely do they mean all cops.

I hope I didn't come across as ugly nor too patronizing. Just giving away tools to become more independent. It is empowering when you learn how to do more in life with less from others.
Nicole

Livermore, CA

#47 Sep 19, 2011
This used to be a good thread. I don't think I need to say any more than that
Nicole

Livermore, CA

#48 Sep 19, 2011
Actually I take that back. The first page was all about the game and the second was about making fun of someone who called the cops when they saw a drug deal

Livermore 94551

#49 Sep 19, 2011
Purple Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>You mean you honestly don't know who the word "ones" refers to in the short paragraph when we've been discussing them for most of the thread?

"Sometimes fate catches up with the bad ones. One was particularly nasty with me. A couple years later, I heard he had a heart attack at quite a young age and died."

What "ones" is that paragraph about? Who are the ones I was discussing in the first two paragraphs? Who were the bad ones you mentioned and which my overall post is a reply to? I assume your your teachers taught you about how pronouns work. It was important to me not to name who the ones were there, and I won't mention who they are here. Repeating the subject noun of an entire theme is redundant and bad form. Remember with pronouns, that they nearly always refer to the last person or group mentioned. Since "ones" is plural, guess what group of people they are about? So why wouldn't I discuss the same group of people in paragraph #3 as I did the previous? If I discussed losing good ones in #2, then why wouldn't I mention bad ones in #3?

I see this problem a lot on Wikipedia too. Someone may write:

"Kate and Ashley are identical twins and American actresses. When they turned 21, they started a business together."

The some idiot editor tags "they" with a {who?} tag because they don't know who they refers to, even though most know the meaning carries over from the previous sentence.

So since the correct understanding of the word "ones" would show you that paragraph #3 is just as important and about the same thing.

So paragraph 4 is obviously a tangent off of 3. Nobody ever said it had to be relevant. I just like to share what I know, and I thought you would be proud of me, not, well, never mind. There are no rules on Topix saying you have to stay on topic or that you cannot change topics at the end of your post and share something of general human interest to lubricate social contact. If someone of the class of people most of the paragraph and thread is about dies at a young age (early to mid 20's) then there has to be a reason and there needs to be background and context. The death of the member of that group of people in paragraph 3 happened in a town where such deaths were common, and bullying is something that should be discussed everywhere as activism until it stops.

I will note one more thing. A common problem I see with some people is that they often have difficulty understanding the scope of labels and group names when people use them. Like if someone says, "I hate it when women..." then their use of women is obviously not referring to all women. But some idiot will jump in and say, "You know that not all women do that..." True, but nobody said they did. So it is not over-generalization, since the term women there would be used in a specific context. Most people would understand that, but some activists with chips on their shoulders would ignore the context and only look at the wording of one sentence by itself out of context. So when someone mentions cops doing this or that, rarely do they mean all cops.

I hope I didn't come across as ugly nor too patronizing. Just giving away tools to become more independent. It is empowering when you learn how to do more in life with less from others.
Sorry, I meant the last paragraph. I get the fate catching up to the bad ones. I just don't get the relevance/significance of the bullied kid who had a heart attack that was may suicide or murder.
the_dude

Milpitas, CA

#50 Sep 19, 2011
This is just awsome! Imagine everyone..... 0.31 grams of marijuana has just been prevented from entering into society.

Plum, Purplonia

#51 Sep 19, 2011
Ssophiiee wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I meant the last paragraph. I get the fate catching up to the bad ones. I just don't get the relevance/significance of the bullied kid who had a heart attack that was may suicide or murder.
Okay, I added that because that happened to a cop, and I gave context for similar deaths in that town. I love loosely associating things. The sudden heart attack in thing in those under 30 was the hinge point. I feel so bad about the previous post. I was in a crappy mood.

Livermore 94551

#52 Sep 19, 2011
Purple Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>Okay, I added that because that happened to a cop, and I gave context for similar deaths in that town. I love loosely associating things. The sudden heart attack in thing in those under 30 was the hinge point. I feel so bad about the previous post. I was in a crappy mood.
Thank you for elaborating

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Leandro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A California city is launching the first US exp... 15 hr Anti-Liberal 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Wed why 21,286
News Concord Naval Weapons Station: Traffic, transit... Wed Jayde4174 1
News Doctor heads to court after online sex sting (Nov '06) Oct 16 Carnac The Magnif... 17,831
Shooting in Ghetto San Leandro Bayfair Mall. Su... (Aug '14) Oct 8 sizzle 5
where am i Jul '17 My Thoughts are Mine 1
Where is it a good area to live in San Leandro? (Apr '17) Jul '17 landlord 5

San Leandro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

San Leandro Mortgages