As You See It, April 22, 2010: Water ...

As You See It, April 22, 2010: Water projects put salmon in peril

There are 21 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Apr 22, 2010, titled As You See It, April 22, 2010: Water projects put salmon in peril. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Laura King Moon's April 18 op-ed misrepresents the impact of salmon fishing and downplays the role of the Central Valley water projects.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
my iq is 55

United States

#1 Apr 22, 2010
Adam Glover, do you have a problem with anybody who takes some time to relax or have fun, or just stoners? Because all those things were happening when... I was on my bike ride, when I was sleeping, and when you were watching that basketball game.
ditto

Portola Valley, CA

#2 Apr 22, 2010
my iq is 55 wrote:
Adam Glover, do you have a problem with anybody who takes some time to relax or have fun, or just stoners? Because all those things were happening when... I was on my bike ride, when I was sleeping, and when you were watching that basketball game.
I would like to know what non-stop life saving, world changing activities Adam does 24/7
Douglas Deitch

Santa Cruz, CA

#3 Apr 22, 2010
"Corporate agriculture should own up to their part in the loss of salmon"...
and quit overdrafting our local aquifers 200% yearly, thereby reducing local stream base flows and salmon reproduction habitat and losing/exporting billions of $ of our water supply in berries....duh?

All we have to do is follow Gary Patton's law here...which he and his successor Third District Supervisors have negligently ignored and disregarded for decades...

http://www.metrosantacruz.com/metro-santa-cru...

http://pogonip.org/ord.htm

http://www.scsextra.com/story.php...
Adam ribbing

Millbrae, CA

#5 Apr 22, 2010
Adam Glover: First two posts indicate you might have evoked some guilt feelings and resentment among the local spokesmouths of irresponsibility. Of course the main difference between your letter and their responses is that you had the guts to put your name on it.
Mike Wade

Sacramento, CA

#6 Apr 22, 2010
RE: salmon decline---No one disputes the number of salmon returning to spawn have decreased. The debate is what is causing this decline. Scientists are now pointing to ocean conditions as well as predators in the Delta as greater causes than the pumps. According to California Department of Water Resources data, only 0.4 percent of the outmigrating salmon juveniles are caught in the pumps. In 2007, the last year full year of ocean fishing for salmon, the Pacific Fishery Management Council estimates that 65 percent of the salmon population was taken by commercial (60%) and sport (5%) fishermen. Wouldn’t the debate of what is causing the salmon decline be better served by allowing scientists to do their work? Mike Wade/CA Farm Water Coalition

“I'm the One!”

Since: Apr 10

Santa Cruz, CA

#7 Apr 22, 2010
Adam ribbing wrote:
Adam Glover: First two posts indicate you might have evoked some guilt feelings and resentment among the local spokesmouths of irresponsibility. Of course the main difference between your letter and their responses is that you had the guts to put your name on it.
Yeah for Adam Glover, writing a letter under his real name! Super!

Too bad the time he chose to write a letter, all he did was complain about people having a party. Of all the things going on in the world to contribute to the dialog, Adam writes about a student gathering that has no relevance to anything.

You've shown us the way, Adam! I'm sure those students would better spend their time writing letters to editors complaining about others what others are doing. And make sure those letters have no real point other than "don't do anything that doesn't involve thinking about how great the fire fighters are for being there for us."

What's that, Adam? You went to the bathroom?! I hope you were thanking your lucky stars for the soldiers that are occupying Iraq while you were sitting there wasting your time not doing something that God Adam feels is worthy of spending your time doing.
dON

United States

#8 Apr 22, 2010
Allen, you're short on the department called brains!

Clever of the Modesto Irrigation Dept to blame the Stripped Bass instead of trying to solve the problems of the Delta.

Stripped Bass have lived in the Delta and predated on Salmon smolts for at least 7 decades...it was only since the Bush Administration allowed the biological opinion to be trashed and water exports expanded another 30% that the populations of all species of fish in the Delta fell over a cliff.

The San Joaquin River is dry, how’s that for sharing the water with the Salmon, Mr. Short (of Brains, not Balls)?

Where Is the River?
When it comes to being far from past conditions, though, the San Joaquin River has the Sacramento beat hands down. The Sacramento is now essentially a managed conveyance channel, bringing 75-80 percent of the river’s natural flow to the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta.

The San Joaquin, however, has had a different fate: there, 75-80 percent of its natural flow has been removed from the system. And of course, a dam is involved. At 319 feet, the Friant Dam, completed in 1942, is diminutive compared to Shasta Dam, and the reservoir it creates, Millerton Lake, much smaller. But its impact on the natural river system is huge. At Friant Dam alone, some 95 percent of the natural runoff of the San Joaquin River is diverted for irrigation.

I headed down past Friant Dam and along Millerton Lake Road. The San Joaquin Fish Hatchery reminded me that the river once supported the southernmost Chinook salmon run in North America--until sections of the river went dry in the late 1940s, after the dam was completed. Since then, only the wettest years have seen salmon spawning beneath the dam, though early this year a $400-million project, battled over for two decades, was approved by Congress to increase the amount of water released from the dam to help resurrect the river’s salmon fishery.

http://coastandocean.org/coast_v25_no2_2009/a...
dON

United States

#9 Apr 22, 2010
Mike Wade wrote:
RE: salmon decline---No one disputes the number of salmon returning to spawn have decreased. The debate is what is causing this decline. Scientists are now pointing to ocean conditions as well as predators in the Delta as greater causes than the pumps. According to California Department of Water Resources data, only 0.4 percent of the outmigrating salmon juveniles are caught in the pumps. In 2007, the last year full year of ocean fishing for salmon, the Pacific Fishery Management Council estimates that 65 percent of the salmon population was taken by commercial (60%) and sport (5%) fishermen. Wouldn’t the debate of what is causing the salmon decline be better served by allowing scientists to do their work? Mike Wade/CA Farm Water Coalition
Another Beeeeg Ag voice, Mike (I’m an idiot shill for beeeeg Ag) Wade has waded in with numbers that confirm the old saw that liars CAN figure.

ALL scientific work done on the biological opinion of water flows in the Delta confirm that the fish need more water. Mike leaves that out & the fact that that’s what they are trying to ignore.

National Marine Fisheries Service plainly states 70 to 90% of all original salmon spawning habitat in California is gone, dammed up for decades and now they want the water too.

http://vimeo.com/5930504
Somethings Not Right
Adam Glover

United States

#10 Apr 22, 2010
For a school and community that preaches activisim and making the world better, how is smoking weed in a field doing that? Taking up police time, giving the impression to kids that smoking a controlled substance is okay how is that making our community better? At least service members, public support people, and others help. I'm not against relaxing when it's time to relax, but flaunting the use of drugs, whether it be marijuana, alcohol, or prescription is wrong and irresponsible in my mind. Sorry if you feel that I'm wrong, but as an American Citizen, husband, father, and sailor, that is how I feel.
dON

United States

#11 Apr 22, 2010
View a short video:

http://vimeo.com/6068134

You'll see the DRY San Joaquin River with the full canal & green fields of crops next to it...

Beeg Ag, Beeeg Lies!

Sad to see Senator Feinstein in bed with them; it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for Senator Di to shake off the effects of Beeeeg Money.

BTW, da mm ed is a censored word...grow up Topix!

Re the Peripheral Canal:
http://vimeo.com/6181504
dON

United States

#12 Apr 22, 2010
Adam Glover wrote:
For a school and community that preaches activisim and making the world better, how is smoking weed in a field doing that? Taking up police time, giving the impression to kids that smoking a controlled substance is okay how is that making our community better? At least service members, public support people, and others help. I'm not against relaxing when it's time to relax, but flaunting the use of drugs, whether it be marijuana, alcohol, or prescription is wrong and irresponsible in my mind. Sorry if you feel that I'm wrong, but as an American Citizen, husband, father, and sailor, that is how I feel.
Those in the meadow on 4/20 are trying to tell you that you're repeating the mistakes of repression that flourished in the 1920's, abolition of alcohol.

This allowed truly lawless to get RICH running booze, just as the gangs do today running drugs with just as much CRIMINAL violence.

It allowed the public to learn that some laws are dumb & not to be respected, just as is happening today with the stupid repression of Weed.

Try to teach young people about the REAL dangers of Meth & Heroin after you show them you're lying about Marijuana!

Adam Glover, you're flaunting your ignorance & showing a HUGE, DAMAGING, repressive streak in your nature.

Wake Up!
Carla Bjurman

AOL

#13 Apr 22, 2010
thank you Adam Glover! In addition to your points, pot smoking causes smokers to be unable to address drug sellers, even heroin street dealers. Santa Cruz has a bad reputation as a place heroin and hard drugs are openly sold on the city streets because pot smokers including UCSC students keep voting those who protect their contolled substance use into power, and those in power can't then turn saround and be law and order types against the foreign outlaw gang (The Surenos 13) who control the city streets on the tourist traffic route to and from the boardwalk and main beach. Thus the town has given away it's greatest natural treasure. Happy Earth Day, suckers!(suckers of joints, too)
dON

United States

#14 Apr 22, 2010
Mike Wade wrote:
DIRECT REBUTTAL to your post, Mike (Beeeeeg Ag) Wade and the water lies of Sean Hannity.

http://vimeo.com/6224148

Catch the list of fish, it ain't just the Salmon; it's every fish in the Delta & the Orcas at sea.

How many Beeeg Ag lies can you count corrected in this video?
please spare me

Danville, CA

#15 Apr 22, 2010
Adam Glover wrote:
I guess you don't watch much TV. Flaunting the use of alcohol and prescription drugs is big business.

“Freedom and Responsibility”

Since: Apr 10

Glenwood, CA

#16 Apr 22, 2010
Adam Glover wrote:
While you were out celebrating a controlled substance, military men and women were out protecting your country. While you were getting the munchies, police officers patrolled the streets to protect citizens. While you college students wasted your tuition to not study, members of the Peace Corps work tirelessly to make a better place for the third world. So here's to you 4/20 revelers,'cause when there are problems in the world, we can count on you to ignore it.
It's an American tradition to exercise civil disobedience in order to change laws. Throwing stoners in jail does nothing to help any of these heroes you mention. In fact, it wastes precious resources stopping something that is not the responsibility of the government to control. If our soldiers are fighting to protect our freedoms, we owe it to them to fight for our freedom at home as well.
To dON

Los Gatos, CA

#17 Apr 22, 2010
I have one request of you...can you please take a deep breath before you write your posts? I happen to agree with so many of the points you raise that it actually makes me sick to wade through the vitriol and name calling that accompanies them. Please remember that not everyone who reads this forum is here to do battle with you---some of us just want information---but the offensive tone you regularly use is counter-productive. Thanks.
dON

United States

#18 Apr 22, 2010
It's obvious that Laura King Moon's April 18 op-ed is a sham because she has not even read the entire conclusion of the citation she cites.

The PFMC, author of the study she incorrectly cites, plainly states the solutions are in "CONTINUED ADVOCACY FOR FISH FRIENDLY WATER MANAGEMENT"!!!!

http://www.pcouncil.org/wp-content/uploads/H2...
page 6

Ms. Moon is part of Beeeeg Ag...SURPRISED?!?!?
Tea bagger Tom

United States

#19 Apr 22, 2010
Poor Adam Glover. I think your comments are a) a bit hysterical b) place way too much faith in a freshman pothead and c)assume that the students present at the event did not study. How would you know that ?
me pay for them

Oakland, CA

#20 Apr 22, 2010
Were the sport-fishing clubs I belong to the ONLY ones who circulated photos of the god-knows-how-many (many thousands) Salmon laying dead on the rocks where a river should be? This was, I believe, about two years ago. A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say. And THAT picture said that Salmon can't survive if they're not in water. Additionally, George Bush shut some hatcheries down, and drastically reduced the numbers of smolt produced at the remaining hatcheries. Those planted Salmon are what have kept the fishery healthy and productive for the last four decades. And now to bring it on home, It's all part of Agenda 21 plans to shut down the oceans for citizens, and the wildlands/mountains for hunters. Sounds bizarre and unthinkable doesn't it? Do your homework folks! Information is our friend.
Keeth

Pleasanton, CA

#21 Apr 22, 2010
So long as there are soldiers fighting, bad guys on the loose, and third-world countries, none of us should smile, be happy, or do anything fun without checking with Adam Glover first.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Joaquin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kerman Ca, Girl and two sons are missing. (Jan '15) Oct '16 Gtwhite 3
News Homicide in Mendota (Feb '08) Jul '16 christina lopez 3
News This judge says toddlers can defend themselves ... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Truthfull 2
News Orange Cove spent lavishly on a BMX park that i... (May '09) Jan '16 donkeyluvlooney 82
News Even if El Ni o delivers, California drought ma... (Dec '15) Dec '15 GEORGE MCNIEL 1
News Local: Biola man dies in wreck (Oct '09) Sep '15 CaliBandit 2
News REACHing everyone is goal of Stockton activist (Sep '14) Sep '14 Zombie Corpse Rental 1

San Joaquin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

San Joaquin Mortgages